Etrian Odyssey

Sunwoo

It might be worth saying that at EOI: Untold redid some of the dungeon floors, and if you're playing in story mode there's an additional "side-dungeon" per stratum. I mean, they're required for you to complete for you to progress in the story mode and get through the strata, but they're located in a different area than the 6 strata you have access to in classic mode, and use new FOE avoidance strategies.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HP/damage was reworked in EO:U (and probably EO:U2), and certain skills were tweaked, as well (IMMUNIZE).

You can always skip Story and go straight to Classic instead!

Well, in Etrian Odyssey 1, what skills should a party made of Landskencht, Protector, Dark Hunter, Medic and Alchemist learns?

Landy: Allslash, that one attack buff they have.

Protector: All anti element skills at 5 and no more due to a bug, Smite, Defender if you feel like it but Immunize exists.

Dark Hunter: Depends if you go whip or sword, Bait and Magibait for sure.

Medic: IMMUNIZE, Salve 2, Revive, Caduceus but it might be the last skill you max.

Alchemist: General Alchemist skills. The strongest volt skill is pretty decent. I forget if they have a non-element ultimate attack thing.

So yesterday I downloaded the EOU2 demo, mind you this is the first time I've actually seen gameplay of it for myself. Arianna is so moe she's great.

• 2 weeks later...

Etrian Odyssey: Untold 2 comes out in the US in a few days. Who's going to get it on release?

We don't get it until the 12th Feburary 2016.... You guys are so lucky!!!! :(

Well, it'll give us enough time to make ours teams. Eh. :p

Fair point, but I dunno what kind of team I want in classic mode. Apart from the fact that one of the 5 members needs to be a medic (and now I have to find a name which means healing/health)

Take my words with a grain of salt, because I dind't really touched EO2 since a while... and still haven't finished 1F, and I'm talking about EO2, not EO2U.... :o

Some people said that in EO2 Offensive => Defensive. Thus the best would be...

Ronin/Dark Hunter/WarMagus

Gunner/Hexer

Ronin your main damage-dealer, also a hilarious Glass Cannon

Dark Hunter your versatile damage-dealer (bind and such). Climax.

War Magus Jack of all stat, Infinite MP, healer, decent damage dealer.

Gunner your magic-damage dealer, Riot Gun.

Hexer, lot of curses, Evil Eye, Suicide. Freaking Revenge.

There's also the fact that Dark Hunter, War Magus, Gunner, Hexer go very well together, since you know, status effect and damage and all.

This make the beginning hard though, since you don't have any heal capacity outside to items. And you must know what to do with your characters. :p

Well, in EO2U, the moment you have a skill unlocked, you gain 1pt in it, so...

Like I said, take my word with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't be surprised if Revenge was nerfed in EO2U. :p

EDIT: Or something like this. Sounds boring, but sounds practical.

Protector/Ronin/Dark Hunter

Medic/Hexer

Edited by B.Leu

Hexer in EO2 has a great early game skill w/ poison. It's relatively easy to max out early, since it's one of the first or first curses available. At level 10 it almost always gets enemies infected and should do enough to one-round enemies w/out any interference from the rest of the party for the first couple strata at least, maybe even the third (though poison does only happen at the end of the turn, so you'll still take at least 1 turn of attacks from enemies, so you should still be offensive with other party members). Specifically, I believe the damage it does per round is usually around 250-350 at lvl 10. I believe it affects all opponents as opposed to even just affecting a group. It also procs the rare drop for the first stratum boss. And since it's an early curse, it's very cheap.

EDIT-It has probably been almost 10 years since I played EO2 but I'm pretty sure most or all of this is accurate...no idea about untold!

Edited by Severian

The problem is that I don't like having all defensive, or all offensive, parties in RPGs.

What I need:

Physical Attacker- Ronin worked so well for me in EOU, so I guess I'm going for this class.

Magical Attacker- I don't know if I should go for the Alchamist or the War Magnus, but I'll make a decision later.

Medic- Obvious.

Back line Sniper- Again, I could go for either the Gunner or the Sniper. Now, which one would be better?

Support- Protector or Dancer?

I also disliked EOU's Hexer Class, so I'm not going to use the class again. I also didn't use the Protector Class well in EOU- so, should I go for the Dancer over the Protector? I kinda like the Dancer's utilities (plus the level 20 something dancer I have in EOU is literally my Second party's main damage dealer...)

Hmmmm... So far:

Ronin

War Magnus (combining the healing and the magic attacks. One bird, 2 stones and all that jazz.)

Dancer

Dark Hunter

Gunner

Formation:

Ronin/Dark Hunter

Dancer/War Magnus/Gunner

Does this sound like a good party?

You disliked Hexer ? It's useful as hell ! And it go so well with the Dark Hunter ! xD

Honestly, I think you should put War Magus in front, less chance to have your Ronin screwed. Remember; Ronin is a Glass Cannon.

I reeally don't think that dancer is that good, but ah, whatever.

Also, I've learned a good one. The Prince/Princess class is in EO2U.

Wtf.

Hmm, maybe you should replace your Troubadour with a Prince/Princess and place it in front row, then ?...

Edited by B.Leu

Are you talking about EO2 or EO2U? Because if it's the latter, the beast works as a tank. Also the War Magus doesn't do magic damage. It's a battle Medic with skills that effect enemies with status aliments.

As for your party, in EO2U it lacks a tank or good shutdown options. Boss HP has scaled so high now that the king EO2 strat of killing before getting killed isn't safe anymore.

And for anyone wondering, Revenge curse in EO2U was nerfed. By not existing anymore. Wouldn't be very good anyway b/c of Boss HP being so high, and it was pretty shit in EOU anyway.

Are you talking about EO2 or EO2U? Because if it's the latter, the beast works as a tank. Also the War Magus doesn't do magic damage. It's a battle Medic with skills that effect enemies with status aliments.

As for your party, in EO2U it lacks a tank or good shutdown options. Boss HP has scaled so high now that the king EO2 strat of killing before getting killed isn't safe anymore.

And for anyone wondering, Revenge curse in EO2U was nerfed. By not existing anymore. Wouldn't be very good anyway b/c of Boss HP being so high, and it was pretty shit in EOU anyway.

Ahahah ah ! Oh we're boned. :D

Etrian Odyssey: Untold 2 comes out in the US in a few days. Who's going to get it on release?

If I can get to my local GameStop and pick up my preorder, yes!

Wtf.

Hmm, maybe you should replace your Troubadour with a Prince/Princess and place it in front row, then ?...

Are you sure the prince/princess class in EOU2 isn't exclusive to the story party, like gunner and highlander were in EOU1? (Barring once you do new game+ and whatnot).

Are you sure the prince/princess class in EOU2 isn't exclusive to the story party, like gunner and highlander were in EOU1? (Barring once you do new game+ and whatnot).

Every class is available at the start of classic mode except for the Fafnir Knight, who is the only thing that's story mode exclusive in EO2U.

There's also the DLC class, Highlander, from EO1U.

Hm, how good this team would be for EO2U, if I replaced the Ronin by a Protector ? A team like that in other word:

Protector/DHunter/WMagus
Gunner/Hexer

I don't exactly know whatever Beast is supposed to be to be honest. Other than furry bait that is.

You disliked Hexer ? It's useful as hell ! And it go so well with the Dark Hunter ! xD

Honestly, I think you should put War Magus in front, less chance to have your Ronin screwed. Remember; Ronin is a Glass Cannon.

I reeally don't think that dancer is that good, but ah, whatever.

Wtf.

I did have a Hexer in my main party, and it did have a couple of useful moves (Evil Eye and the Hex that lowered defences), but on the whole I just used her to physically attack the enemy (As I didn't find the other hexes useful- I prefer buffs to debuffs- nor reliable- I can count on one hand how many times a Hex worked on the enemy). Same with the Protector really (and my Protector MISSED HALF THE DAMN TIME). On the other hand, the Ronin, the Medic and the Alchemist were constantly useful, and all three carried the party through the game.

Again, I like buffing. Dancers buff units. This pleases me greatly. Raising attack, raising defence... Heck, they have a move that increases Battle EXP, and another move that replenishes MP... :D Though the Fantasia moves are slightly underwhelming... I prefer my elemental moves to be immediate. Plus- Dancers in EOIV (I know it isn't an Untold Game, but...) are a whole shade of bada**...

Princesses are in the game!! Oh hell yeah! :D I haven't played EOIII (as the game never came out in my country) but I heard that the're very useful. That's it- I'm recruiting a princess, and naming her Melia. :D

Ok, I thought the War Magnus would be like the Red Mage... Ugh, apart from Binds, I don't find Status Ailments useful.... Decisions, decisions...

Dang it- I work best using the "Kill before getting killed" strategy.... I don't get tanking or shutdowning bosses... I guess EOUII is gonna be my "Sink or Swim" game...? So, the Protector is a must...and possibly the Beast class (though the class doesn't really appeal to me...)

Ok, no Revenge curse. I didn't use it anyway- I never let my Hexer's HP get that low...

I did have a Hexer in my main party, and it did have a couple of useful moves (Evil Eye and the Hex that lowered defences), but on the whole I just used her to physically attack the enemy (As I didn't find the other hexes useful- I prefer buffs to debuffs- nor reliable- I can count on one hand how many times a Hex worked on the enemy). Same with the Protector really (and my Protector MISSED HALF THE DAMN TIME). On the other hand, the Ronin, the Medic and the Alchemist were constantly useful, and all three carried the party through the game.

How is that possible ? Torpor, Stoning and Evil Eye are usefull as hell, they make all the random fights a cakewalk ! Well, of course you shouldn't use them againt weak ennemies...

Your Protector missed half the time ? Well, his job is to be a PV bag, Provoke and Guard/Wall, but still.

Either you're REALLY not lucky.... or you didn't spend your points well. :/

War Magus has really nice non-typed Cuts though, at least in original 2, which helps a lot for some particularly nasty FOEs lategame, IIRC. I used one instead of a Medic and did not regret it. Then again, I'm the person who likes filling logbooks, and conditional drops require status ailments and binds in many instances, so without a source for them I'd be relying on consumables to duplicate the effects.

War Magus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Medic in EO2

Healing, attack buff that affects all damage types, debuff, and untyped damage, though minimal, is still useful. They only lacked Salve 3 and Revive but items exist.

I don't know if I can survive without Revive.

Will probably play through story mode, and deal with whatever is thrown at me. For Classic, I'd need to compare Alchemist/Gunner to everything else, and decide from there!

How is that possible ? Torpor, Stoning and Evil Eye are usefull as hell, they make all the random fights a cakewalk ! Well, of course you shouldn't use them againt weak ennemies...

Your Protector missed half the time ? Well, his job is to be a PV bag, Provoke and Guard/Wall, but still.

Either you're REALLY not lucky.... or you didn't spend your points well. :/

Probably the latter. My video gaming luck is kinda good (e.g. Mario and Luigi Bowser's inside story. Luigi accidentally walked into an enemy, and spent the first enemy turn on the floor. The first enemy went to attack Luigi, and JUMPED OVER LUIGI instead of straight attacking him. The other two enemies attacked Mario. Luigi got up in the next turn. I could also mention the fight against Dullahan in Golden Sun: Dawn, which was also crazy).

However, my knowledge on how to spend points in EO games is pretty bad. I like unlocking most abilities (though some of the Medic's abilities aren't that useful, so I didn't spend points on them) which means that I don't tend to fully max skills, which is what I've done in Achlys' case. Most of her Hexes are at level 2/3, though the Stoning, the Corrupt, the Leden and the Deceit curses are at level 5. I don't know what skills Hexers can get in EOUII, but I will try and use the Hexer class and the Protector Classes more efficiently