Etrian Odyssey

Sunwoo

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things you can do in EO3:

-Look through your monster book for FOEs that drop tomes, or ??? items. Using one of the limit skills to kill them will net you all their drops no matter what, so you can farm stat tomes if you want. Killing FOEs on various strata can help you waste time waiting for dragons to come back. Moreover, other bonus bosses within the dungeons (kraken, anemone, alraune come to mind) may also give good exp.

-You can try farming pasarans. I'm no expert on this, but you can look into it if you want. Search pasarans on gamefaqs or try out this thread I found:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/981313-etrian-odyssey-iii-the-drowned-city/60511697

If you don't have the lucky hammer limit to forge drops, it seems you get it from defeating the leviathan for the first time (a sea boss which I believe is tied to a location in the top left of the northern sea map). If I remember right, the leviathan's main threats are a fire attack, an ice attack, and either an evasion boost or a hit rate debuff. You can use pop flares on an arbalist (or subbed arbalist) to deal with the hit rate, and anti-element to stop its elemental attacks.

My, thank you !

Yeah, I already have Lucky hammer though the timing to use it is difficult to know. Like, the attack hurt him, but doesn't kill him... :p

The pasarans eh ? It look hard, but I'll try anyway.

Again, thank you very for your help, I really appreciate it.

Ya. I think I may have sometimes tracked hp during a fight to get an idea of when to use lucky hammer.

Just noticed that at 1:42 in the opening video the main character literally punches briareus's fingers off. (for one hand anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nv__nUIytg

Edited by Severian

Finally made it to the fourth stratum in EO2U, and got sidetracked.

Yo Bertram, do you happen to have that pic of Flavio around?

Ahem. . .right. The story went weird for a bit, and whether or not that's a good thing will be determined by the end of the stratum. I decided to grab some of the side-things in the first/second strata, because I'm focused like that. The monsters behind the sealed doors are no joke, but I can work around them.

Standard rocks. :P:

Finally made it to the fourth stratum in EO2U, and got sidetracked.

Yo Bertram, do you happen to have that pic of Flavio around?Ahem. . .right. The story went weird for a bit, and whether or not that's a good thing will be determined by the end of the stratum. I decided to grab some of the side-things in the first/second strata, because I'm focused like that. The monsters behind the sealed doors are no joke, but I can work around them.Standard rocks. :P:

Huh?

I hope that makes sense in context...

Well, I just got Etrian Odyssey Untold after randomly playing the Demo for EO2U the day before school started back, and I must say, it's probably my favorite game already. Never have I been more invested in a game! I also put waaaaay too much detail into my maps, marking everything, putting a little note on every other wall, marking down when certain conversations happen at a point in the Labyrinth, etcetera, etcetera.

On a side note, I ended up deleting all my data after beating the First Stratum boss, because I remembered the EO2U demo saying there was 8 save files, and decided to start a run in classic mode. Luckily, I made a save-data backup after the fourth floor. In fact, using those save-data backups, i now technically have 3 save files, one with the Story mode, one with me as a Survivalist, and one with me as a Dark hunter.

Huh?

I hope that makes sense in context...

It requires playing a LOT of EO2U to understand. . .but I spoilered it to be safe. Now, for some non-spoilers from EO2U:

GET TO THE FOURTH STRATUM AT ALL COSTS. You'll thank me for this.

It requires playing a LOT of EO2U to understand. . .but I spoilered it to be safe. Now, for some non-spoilers from EO2U:GET TO THE FOURTH STRATUM AT ALL COSTS. You'll thank me for this.

I would do.... But the game doesn't come out in the EU until Feburary 2016? And region locking means that I cannot import the American version of the game and play it on my European 3DS... :(

Yeah shit gets real when you hit fourth stratum. It's a big reason why I like story mode better in EO2U.

Anyway I hit 30F in my story mode file.

[spoiler=Post-Game Boss]Fighting the Great Dragon was giving me trouble because of his high Hp but I ended up winning by having Fafy proc double action. Twice. 40k damage in one turn? Yes pls.

I'm also kinda playing Classic with my perfect chase team. It's working out great during boss fights (Recently beat second stratum) and it's really fun to see my party so interconnected. If someone dies though RIP damage.

Of course 14 classes makes it hard to not think of another party... I started a NG+ Classic with Highlander/(Palm) Alchemist/Protector /Gunner/Troubadour and I'm already thinking of another party.

Sword Dark Hunter/ Whip Dark Hunter/ War Magus Hexer/ and something else. Probably Compression Alchemist. Or a Princess.

And then there are other things I want to do. Like Peerless combo Ronin, Combat Medic and Beast and Chaser Survivalist.

Edited by Guy in a Chair Man

I hit 20F on EO2U. . .now have some thoughts!

Unless 20F has extremely stupid FOE placement, this stratum will have my all-time favorite FOE puzzles. They're just easy enough to puzzle out, but difficult enough for me to sit down and think. I also made it a point to kill one of each one I've encountered so far, and got some ingredients in the process. I went down the Other Side of the first stratum, and as a result, Fafnir has a boomstick, and everyone else has really good armor. Now I gotta find a way to curse those stupid frogs, because I want that conditional drop!

I just cleared Gunningagap (sry if misspelled) B2. I had trouble figuring out the right pattern to get past the spiders in the bottom center (last ones before the boss spider) and ended up fighting both of them to get past. Then, when I beat them, I forgot to actually get to a point in the maze where I could get through a shortcut. So I had to go through the spiders again (seems like they regen in a day, at least if you haven't cleared the boss). I managed to figure out how to get past that time w/out fighting. The spider boss was an easier fight than the two spider FOEs, which used up a large number of medica IIs, nectars, and therica as and bs. Thank god I had a point in absorb so fafner could build force off of them.

After multiple attempts I've finally beaten the super boss in EO2U without cheesing it (There's a three turn strat for the story mode party but you don't want to use it for 100% completion). As frustrating as it was, it's an interesting fight and it feels great to beat it. Now all that's left for story mode is to finish the item compendium and grind to level 99/99 for DLC bosses.

I made it to the fifth stratum. Decided that the fourth stratum boss was stupid, and did a bit of reclassing. . .then reverted back because I'm a wee bit overleveled. To compensate for the major chunk of level that stunt cost me, I rested everyone else. . .so, uh, one character is eight levels behind the other four. Knocked out the other four for a bit and solo-leveled that character back up to a more acceptable gap (4 levels).

Or, more specifically. . .

Reclassed Arianna to Dark Hunter because Flavio couldn't cover the ailment I wanted, then reclassed her back as soon as I beat the fourth stratum boss. Chloe moved up front, and I gave Arianna the elemental gun grimoires and Medic Bullet. The elemental bullets are there so that she can pick on weaknesses when she has down time (as in, when Fafnir's charging up with Delayed Chase), and Medic Bullet is a nice spot heal on top of ailment recovery. I really like having her in the back row, because I've turned Bertrand into some weird hybrid of Protector and Highlander, and Spear Assist is hilarious when paired with a couple of Link Orders and an elemental Saber. Flavio's job is to rain hell with arrows, though he gets screwed if his target resists paralyze/blind/sleep and stab damage - I need to see if there's something that'll do non-stab damage, uses AGI, and inflicts status ailments. Perhaps something like Baffling Step?

Oh, eclipse, I forgot that ur idea to use link order off of elemental jars was useful. Normally my party can only link order off of elemental shots or sabers (my Flavio is a gunner). This was a problem when dealing with those tree sponge FOES that counter melee attacks with a powerful spin attack. Jars don't trigger the spinning, so I could deal elemental dmg.

I also used the blinding status item to blind the foe with a fairly low chance of success, allowing me to use physical attacks safely.

Hey, that's something else for Arianna to do, thanks~! I carry a lot of junk in the labyrinth already, but I think I can spare a few slots for Jars.

After some more thought, I think I'll keep Medic Bullet on Arianna, and replace the elemental shots with formulas - it uses her TEC instead of AGI. I can throw in the alchemy mastery skill if I want to up the damage a little.

Ideally, I'd throw a maxed Weapon Free on Flavio and give him Burst Shot, even if the damage will be a bit lower than I like. Problem is that I've got exactly one maxed grimoire, and it's one that has a really nice secondary effect (I think it's Grimoire Chance Up), so I don't want to trade it unless I'm going to get something amazing in return.

[spoiler=23F whining]Juggernaut is a pain in the ass. I need to get its pattern down, because I've got every last tool I need to kick its ass.

Remember to recycle your grimoires. You probably have enough trash grimoires for a level 10 by now and you can keep on doing that to stock up on level 10 grimoires for trading. Which is the ideal way to get level 10 grimoires without using the premium chance food (which I recommend keeping the free one until postgame so you can get a bunch of level 10s for trading as well as 9-6 for recycling for more 10s).

[spoiler=23F]Yeah Colossus... uh Juggernaut is pretty tricky. And getting the bombs to hit him is annoying. Thankfully for the fight he gives you that nice attack buff(I think it's like 180% more attack?) but man do you need to dispell it from him(and the defense buff) or he'll wreck your party. I didn't have much trouble but that's because I watched an entire playthough of the game a couple months before the NA release so I knew his gimmick.

If you arm bind the tree sponge it literally can't do a thing. That was my strat for story mode, blind the guy with Flavio and arm bind him with Chloe. He was a pain for my perfect chase team though. No pure elemental attacks at all.

I can probably thin out my stash, as it's sitting at about 300. I absolutely want to hang on to the status-inflicting ones (like that level 9 Stone Gaze I somehow nabbed), due to conditional drops. The highest I've gotten through recycling was 8. Once I'm done diddling around in the labyrinth, I'll take a gander at what I've got. Managed to snag a couple of legendary ones, too!

[spoiler=23F WHAT]Just how many bombs do I need for Juggernaut? I think I got one into the back room by accident.

Edited by eclipse

[spoiler=23F]You can hit him with a total of four bombs. The trick is to have the bombs hit him at his side while he's chasing you.

[spoiler=23F]This. Also I can't remember my exact movement pattern when dealing with the Juggernaut, but I remember specifically that when it comes to lobbing the 2nd-4th bombs at him, I always moved at him from the corridors closest to the center of the room. Also, when it comes time to fight the battle itself, make sure to stock up on Unihorns. At the end of the 4th turn after he uses Berserk Cry, he nullifies all buffs on your party, then follows up with a move strong enough to kill your whole party, but if you party has no buffs when the move is supposed to go off, he won't use it, and won't use the killer move afterwards.