Etrian Odyssey

Sunwoo

[spoiler=23F]You can hit him with a total of four bombs. The trick is to have the bombs hit him at his side while he's chasing you.

[spoiler=23F]This. Also I can't remember my exact movement pattern when dealing with the Juggernaut, but I remember specifically that when it comes to lobbing the 2nd-4th bombs at him, I always moved at him from the corridors closest to the center of the room. Also, when it comes time to fight the battle itself, make sure to stock up on Unihorns. At the end of the 4th turn after he uses Berserk Cry, he nullifies all buffs on your party, then follows up with a move strong enough to kill your whole party, but if you party has no buffs when the move is supposed to go off, he won't use it, and won't use the killer move afterwards.

Thanks, you two!

[spoiler=23F outro]Managed to get one bomb to hit, and it was enough. . .but I'm on Standard, so meh.

Arianna was the MVP of this battle. She was able to dispel the buffs on my party thanks to White Noble, and used Ad Nihilo to wipe out the attack buffs on the enemy. That gave me just enough time to rain down Delayed Chase Flame Sabers (guess) with two Link Orders (Chloe/Arianna) and a Spear Assist (Bertrand). Flavio mostly pecked away with normal attacks, though he managed to get off a couple of Hazy Arrows and got Poison Sting to stick (the point wasn't the poison, it was to activate Vampire). Right when I felt I could kill Juggernaut, I activated Flavio's Force Boost and peppered him with Multi-Shots. On the last turn I bothered to keep Juggernaut alive, Disabling Shot kicked in. Unfortunately for Juggernaut, it was followed by Akashic Nova, two Link Orders, and a Spear Assist, which was more than enough for the kill.

So not only did I defeat it, but I somehow got its conditional, too. Sadly, I don't have a Ronin.

I dealt with poison/blind by using a grimoire Refresh, Displace, and a maxed Absorb.

Ugh. 3rd stratum.

seriously? Both blue gel foes and artelinde/Wilhelm have party wipe attacks? Laaame.

Blue Gels - Ice Wall mitigates this.

Arty/Wil - There's two ways of approaching this. You can either murder Wil and use Bertrand's Force Break to nullify Arty's suicide (it's something like three turns after she transforms - you'll have to play with the timing a bit, but it's a constant), or you can get both of them low at about the same time, and kill them before they can use their suicide attacks. I chose the former.

Edited by eclipse

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I look up the word "headache-inducing" in a dictionary, I think I'll find 24F listed as one of the definitions.

Which means I am NOT looking forward to 25F. I always like having more than one FOE type in a room~!

(argh)

My recent progress, (end of stratum 3 and beginning of ruins immediately after it):

I lost two or three times to scylla before winning. In the end I ate the leg bind resist up meal and used prevent order. The leg bind actually landed on both Bertrand and Fantasia near the end of the fight, but I was really lucky and cry soul never targeted Fantasia, so he survived. Maybe having the MC use absorb the turn of the binding is a good idea. Well, regardless, she gave me a little more trouble than flame demon or chimera, which I only lost to once each. I never ended up having Chloe, Bertrand or Fantasia use their force breaks. I would have used Fantasia's, but I stupidly forgot to time his force break correctly, and he ended up trying to use it during the cry soul turn, where the tentacles will typically stun you even if they don't bind you.

I just saved at the geomagnetic pole in the ruins on the floor you can't return to town on. It's an interesting area and I like it a lot.

Edited by Severian

Congratulations~!

Maxed Barrier is a godsend against Scylla. She tries to leg bind you, you laugh at her.

I strangled her to death, and used Chloe/Bertrand's Force Breaks on two different Cry Soul turns (one to make sure that I was unbound, and the second to negate all damage because screw you Scylla). I'm not sure if outlasting the boss is viable on Expert, though - it took me 43 turns to take her down.

Anyway, good luck with the next area!

Relative Difficulty:

I took her down faster than that, don't think more than 33 turns, but I think I was as much as 3-5 levels (level 40) above what other expert players tend to be at that point. Which might have had a major impact since I got an extra grimoire stone equipped. Flavio was pretty specialized to help Fantasia do damage since I think he had almost level 15 fire shot and tp up to help him keep firing off fire damage against scylla. Fantasia had a lvl 9 fire saber. And Chloe has a grimoire boosted war might to around lvl 10, which made sure they were doing good damage. At times I was using link order ii along with flavio or fantasia's attacks do deal with the tentacles.

Oh, hey, I see a bunch of words I recognize. You took her down faster than I did!

My team was specced more for defense than offense - Fafnir's sabers were something like level 3, but Delayed Chase helped a ton. Link Order II is godly. I abused Flavio's Flank Shot, because it also slowed Scylla down thanks to Leg Bind. I don't want to reclass Flavio, because I can still get decent damage out of his bow skills. Your attack skills were a lot higher than mine, but I think my entire party was at level 40-ish when I finally took her down. That extra grimoire slot made a huge difference!

If I'd done it on Expert, I probably wouldn't have succeeded. I relied on my ability to dodge the leg binds while healing off any damage she dealt to me, and that was only possible because I ate the TP regen food. At one point, I wound up using Flavio's Illusion Step/Chain Dance combo to draw all the tentacles.

Thus, I think you did a better job that I did.

Thank you for saying so! The one thing that Flavio as a gunnner has really made me wish for is multi-procs of link orders I and II with elemental sabers and shots. I have not put any skill points in to charge elemental shots. Today I read that burst shot, an omni-element attack, is really good late game, though. One thing that kinda hurt me when it comes to flavio was losing out his ailment shots. They didn't seem all that great when all is said and done, but it hampered chloe's support/offense since I needed force for her war edge skills to do anything. All that being said, there are times when neither chloe or arianna can totally handle healing on their own, so she's useful for that regardless of her offense. More recently (mostly during 3rd stratum) I've invested some points in random disease, which is a decent skill, and as I have it above 10, a lucky poison proc can be devastating in a random encounter (~430 damage).

One thing I'll remark on when it comes to fafnir is that I haven't gotten his level 10 blade skill yet. I'm considering resting him to invest in volt element for the 4th stratum boss (both he and flavio are under 5 points in their volt attacks), so I may also put some points in for that level 10 skill.

I feel kind of bad shifting flavio off of survivalist simply because I have such fond memories of EO1 survivalists.

Bertrand is a totally unexciting protector :D Protector/hoplite/fortress is the one class I've used in every Etrian play through. I'm probably going to do a classic PT and use a beast.

EDIT-So I finally learned that delayed chase will follow up on both enemies if you use an elemental wave that hits them both :D

EDIT2-So I equipped Bertrand with a weak axe that has a fear effect so I can try and farm syrup off the 4th stratum wasps for amritas. And killing a giant snow with ice was way easier than I thought - I expected double digit damage at most, but it was more in the 350 range (fire shot was probably doing around 500).

Edited by Severian

Decided that exploring the 25th floor was for chumps, and am going for conditional drops instead. Can't quite get one of 'em - apparently, it's done via head bind, and I have yet to get anything from this monster after doing so. Just about every other conditional drop has netted me the item on the first try.

Monster in question is the Gem Lizard, which is on floor 21/22.

Once I have enough money, I'll go after a certain screaming monster. . .

So my Perfect Chase team beat the third stratum boss.

[spoiler=15F]Esbat went down fairly easily, only focused on Wilhelm and force broke for Artelinde's break. Scylla was a problem mostly because the beast has really bad tec and gets bodied by her ice attack, so I had to bring in Ice Wall and learn her pattern(and now I realized I could've just equipped some ice resist equipment on my dog). At first I thought the tentacles were going to be a problem because my team lacks AOE, but my landys were able to take them out with one hit and a chase from my Ronin.

I also watched an EO2U Picnic 5 Landsknect auto-battle Race. It was as silly as it sounds and showed how silly picnic mode is. They had trouble at 23F but that floor is hard when you have no healing and can't do anything but attack.

EDIT2-So I equipped Bertrand with a weak axe that has a fear effect so I can try and farm syrup off the 4th stratum wasps for amritas. And killing a giant snow with ice was way easier than I thought - I expected double digit damage at most, but it was more in the 350 range (fire shot was probably doing around 500).

Yeah getting these types of conditionals are easier because of hybrid attacks. Even if the enemy is heavily resistant to an element, damage is calculated to the weakest resistance so you'll still do respectable damage. That's why skills like Burst shot and Fafnir's force break are so good for those types of conditionals, those skills hit for all elements(and stab for Burst Shot) making it so that you'll hit a weakness or at least hit for neutral damage.

As far as picnic mode goes, I remember having trouble with the second stratum boss in Untold 1. I wanted to see if the guide had some advice, so I looked on there only to see the author talking about damage from his most powerful attacks being something like 40-60 damage. A few weeks later I saw someone on the boards mentioning that the guide was written on picnic.

EDIT-I'm happy that they did retro style music for the new tracks in the game :D

Edited by Severian

Picnic Mode in this game is WAY easier, from what I've heard. I'm tempted to dial it down to beat the crap out of all the FOEs on 25F, then put it back to where it belongs for endgame stuff.

I played through the entire first stratum after a really long EO break … and now I'm lost in Ginnungagap. What am I supposed to do here?

So, is EOUII good? I've been reading the comments and it seems that everyone is enjoying it. :) Im not jealous that you guys are playing it now.... I'm totally fine with waiting for this game...

I played through the entire first stratum after a really long EO break and now I'm lost in Ginnungagap. What am I supposed to do here?

My memory is a little hazy. Did you report to the duchy in town? Is the bridge up yet? I think the guard will only fix the bridge after you report clearing the first stratum to minister dubois.

If you're having trouble with FOE puzzles I think I can help with that when I get home later today(like 7 or 730 pm est?).

Edited by Severian

The bridge thing is the first stratum (where you chase that one guard all over the place).

Sounds like post-bridge, where the FOE puzzles are kinda annoying. What you'll need to do is stand in front of the raised bridges, and press A. If done correctly, the bridge will lower. You can press A again to raise the bridge. You'll need to do both.

I know that about the guard, but I was thinking it's possible that Sunwoo might have gone to gun gap without doing something in town to trigger the bridge.

To elaborate a tiny bit on eclipse's post, the drawbridge can only be raised and lowered from one side.

I know that about the guard, but I was thinking it's possible that Sunwoo might have gone to gun gap without doing something in town to trigger the bridge.

To elaborate a tiny bit on eclipse's post, the drawbridge can only be raised and lowered from one side.

I thought that it wasn't possible to get past the first stratum without dealing with the guard/bridge thing?

EDIT:

[spoiler=Screw 25F]One Overlord is roasty-toasty because I got poison to stick for something like four turns, and I'm working on the final final floor. Not sure if I should just bullrush my way through the FOEs because I can.

Edited by eclipse

And now, a poem:

Roses are red

Violets are blue

GOOD RIDDANCE STORY MODE

Postgame here I come

[spoiler=THE END]Wound up slapping a level 8 Feast on Flavio, which wound up winning it due to the sheer amount of hits I got. Speaking of, he killed himself (was cursed), and missed out on the sweet boss experience.

Now I'm super-hyped for EO3U!

Because that's what the ending seemed to be implying

EDIT: And now, I'm going to give Classic a whirl. I'm gonna leave my Story Mode save game alone, and start truly fresh! I'll probably have seven rotating members total, which I'll edit in later.

EDIT2: Make way for the YOLO team:

Highlander/Dark Hunter/Protector

Troubadour/Gunner

If I need to take advantage of elementals, I can use the Troubadour. Otherwise, Highlander/Dark Hunter will make life hell for the enemies. My healing will be Turning Tide at first, but I'll see if I can slap some of the Orders on my Troubadour.

Edited by eclipse

I'm definitely gonna use a dark hunter on classic. I've never used one for a substantial period of time.

I think I may wait for a walk with new equipment by floor to be posted on gamefaqs before playing classic. That way I can use story mode characters postgame (saving time grinding a given class I didn't use in classic) but can limit myself to using equip normally available at that point. I will restrict myself from using boss conditional drop equip.

I want to use a beast as well.

Edited by Severian

When you do NG+, you're given options in regards to what is carried over. I chose to carry over nothing, essentially turning my Classic run into a truly new game.

Turning Tide is decent healing, so far. I'll definitely want something more substantial for the boss! I forgot that Protectors get Line Cure! Between that and whatever foods the cafe has to offer, I should be fine. Gotta stop naming my cafe after real-life places, though. :P:

Got past the first floor, and remembered why I hate the second floor.

The Highlander's force boost can help out with healing in your party, it recovers 25% of the damage the Highlander deals. And if your Dark Hunter is going sword route then they can heal the front row with Drain Bite. Funny how your classic party is pretty identical to one of my classic parties with palm Alchemist replacing Dark Hunter. ...Now I want to start my fourth Classic run.

In story mode I named my cafe Sheepy~ because of the sheep thing in it. Now I name it Tastysil~ because puns.