Etrian Odyssey

Sunwoo

And onto the fourth stratum~!

This time, I got all four ice blocks into Scylla, which shortened the fight by a good ten turns. Do NOT mess with the Cross Charge/Delayed Charge combo on a Highlander!

Again, thanks for the Barrier!

Congratulations on beating the Wyrm! The dragons all have patterns, but it doesn't help if one step of the pattern is "murder someone with a normal attack".

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job. I couldn't even beat Alraune at level 70 (expert tho). Don't worry too much, you'll probably get better at beating the dragons as you get level caps unlocked, so it's no big deal if one character missed out this time.

I actually defeated Alraune before the final boss, somehow. I still remember the train wreak of a fight (Which makes my fight against the Wyrm look easy.) with everyone being petrified or dying bar my Alchemist and my Ronin. I'm on an easier difficulty tbf though. Anyways, my main squad are at level 80, and I guess I've just got the final bonus boss to go.

And onto the fourth stratum~!

This time, I got all four ice blocks into Scylla, which shortened the fight by a good ten turns. Do NOT mess with the Cross Charge/Delayed Charge combo on a Highlander!

Again, thanks for the Barrier!Congratulations on beating the Wyrm! The dragons all have patterns, but it doesn't help if one step of the pattern is "murder someone with a normal attack".

I know the Dragons had patterns.. I just didn't pay attention to them... Fire Torrent was the thing that nearly killed me... Multiple times (I didn't realise that it got more powerful the more times it was used, so I literally revived my Ronin Daiki, only for him to be killed one attack later...Which happened multiple times...)

Thank you guys! :D

Edited by Fantasia

I'm surprised you didn't have Fire Wall (or whatever nullifies Fire attacks).

Chewing through the fourth stratum way too fast.

Currently level 41, about to finish 18F. I think I need to grind a little bit! And kill some eyeballs on the last strata, their tears are necessary!

Ya, extra brownie points if you beat the dragon(s) without elemental blocks!

5th stratum:

I just beat the Juggernaut. I admit I looked online, where I discovered that you can avoid the most powerful attack if your party has no buffs the turn before it normally uses it. It basically became a battle of going offensive after the attack buff the juggernaut uses on you gets applied, white noble'ing it off to avoid the most powerful attack, then getting the buff applied again to do more damage. Since I wasn't tossing on additional buffs, Arianna was link ordering along with fafnir a lot, which usually doesn't happen for me during boss fights.

Oh, and I got the conditional drop from chimera, which gave me a powerful bow. So I decided to switch flavio back to survivalist for the rest of story mode. He's been doing pretty good. Maybe not as good as gunner flavio, but good.

Edited by Severian

Oooh. . .forgot to get that one~!

I like Flavio best as a survivalist. He can either team up with Chloe for Ailing Slash, bother Bertrand with Scapegoat, draw attacks to himself and counter with Hazy Arrow, or do something else entirely. I had him do a bit of team-up with Chloe and a bit of Hazy Arrow.

I'm not looking forward to the "don't leave" floor.

I'm surprised you didn't have Fire Wall (or whatever nullifies Fire attacks).Chewing through the fourth stratum way too fast.

Currently level 41, about to finish 18F. I think I need to grind a little bit! And kill some eyeballs on the last strata, their tears are necessary!

Ya, extra brownie points if you beat the dragon(s) without elemental blocks!5th stratum:

I just beat the Juggernaut. I admit I looked online, where I discovered that you can avoid the most powerful attack if your party has no buffs the turn before it normally uses it. It basically became a battle of going offensive after the attack buff the juggernaut uses on you gets applied, white noble'ing it off to avoid the most powerful attack, then getting the buff applied again to do more damage. Since I wasn't tossing on additional buffs, Arianna was link ordering along with fafnir a lot, which usually doesn't happen for me during boss fights.Oh, and I got the conditional drop from chimera, which gave me a powerful bow. So I decided to switch flavio back to survivalist for the rest of story mode. He's been doing pretty good. Maybe not as good as gunner flavio, but good.

I do have Fire Wall... I just forgot to use it? Which is kinda stupid...

I do have Fire Wall... I just forgot to use it? Which is kinda stupid...

Hahaha. Well, you still beat it, so who cares?

Also, now that I'm getting close to beating story, I'd like to see if anyone has some party advice. I kind of want to use a dark hunter, troubador and a beast, because they are the only EO1/2 classes I haven't used before. But what do people think about dark hunter with no hexer? Would Ronin/Dark Hunter/Beast/Troubador/Hexer be a decent party? I really don't know troubador at all. Any input?

Troubadour is one of the best classes in the game. 1.5x attack multiplier from Force Break, plus elemental Preludes and Fantasias not getting hampered by the diminishing effect as well as normal buffs/debuffs you can do almost 3 times more damage in a single turn. Fantastic for burst parties. And full party buffs are always a nice thing.

I can see a Sword DH running without a Hexer just fine. Whip DH's DPS is all on an enemy with multiple binds so you kinda need party support to put them to their full potential.

Your planned party seems fine, go Sword DH for Drain Bite because you'll need to heal the Beast or slap Chase heal on the Troubadour or Hexer.

Troubadour Force Boost + Force Shield = permanent buffs.

If you can get a Vampire grimoire, slap it on your Dark Hunter. Drain Bite + Vampire = a ton of health to the front line.

I'm not a huge fan of Hexers, though. Just personal preference on my part. Status effects are nice, but the vast majority of my fights are auto-attacks.

Troubadour Force Boost + Force Shield = permanent buffs.If you can get a Vampire grimoire, slap it on your Dark Hunter. Drain Bite + Vampire = a ton of health to the front line.I'm not a huge fan of Hexers, though. Just personal preference on my part. Status effects are nice, but the vast majority of my fights are auto-attacks.

Whoa really? I would say that 80% of my random battle attacks are tp consuming. Probably more. I pretty much never use Arianna or betrand to attack normally, unless I ambush the enemy.

I should be able to get a Vampire grimoire off of chloe after I beat the overlord. Speaking of which, I reached his door yesterday.

Oh, so

stratum 5 spoilers.

The overlord isn't the final boss anymore.

Ya, I got my first party wipe since Harupia trying to get past one of the rooms in Gumgumland b5f with those cool FOEs that you can trap with the tentacle guys. I ended up with one on each side of me, and then realized I didn't have any ariadne thread or return whistle. Not sure how to deal with its self-healing abilities, maybe I have to avoid hitting it with its weakness (there's another foe in the second stratum secret area that heals if you hit it with frost attacks, which are its weakness). I'm gonna stay up even later than normal and see if I can finish the boss.

Ariadne Threads are a must in that area. I did NOT have fun trying to go through all of that. I think they heal something like every other turn, so if you time things right, you can burn Akashic Nova/Summer Rain on them, and they should go down. I lost count of the number of times I had to leave and re-enter.

Assuming you haven't beaten Ginnugagap 5 yet the healing skill from the FOE is a leg skill so binding it's legs will prevent it from healing and you can kill it. And if you ever get frustrated with an FOE puzzle, remember the solution is to kill everything~

Current progress: 20F

On one hand, the numerous trash mobs that require some elemental to go down are annoying. On the other hand, Luminous Birds die really quickly thanks to Cross Charge and a major weakness to blind arrows.

Until you realize you used your last one on the previous battle. :P:

Sentinel Guard ruins their day. So does Summer Rain. I think I only had one character fall over four boss battles.

Hm. For Etrian Mystery what class would be good ? If you don't mind me asking.
Lank seems pretty good for physical damage, and I've heard that Protector's Provoke is OP, to the point where having a Medic is almost useless. I also heard very good thing about Runemaster.

Also, holy crap, the original EO2 on DS is hard ! Get rekt at the very start of the game, It only started becoming slighty easiier because I finally have skills to use. Then again, no Protector, that must hurt.

So, for Mystery, if you plan on fighting FOEs, a team that includes hexer and land is pretty good. FOEs have barriers that reduce damage to 1 unless you land bad status on them. I believe the game recognizes three kinds of bad status: ailment (which seems to include bind, unlike in EOU2), link orders (land only), and debuffs. Some DOEs require 2 bad status landed, so having a hexer and a land will make it easy to break the barrier fast. But you don't necessarily need to fight DOEs all that often.

Oh ya, they're DOEs not FOEs. Oh well, whatever.

And ya, protector provoke is ridiculous. Most guys will be doing 1 damage to your protector while it is up. You do need to have some backup in case your protector gets paralyzed or something.

I found runemaster to be less good against later game bosses, but it seems to always be pretty good against normal monsters.

Dancers are nice because their buffs only take up a buff slot on the dancer IIRC.

Edited by Severian

Wait, you need to land a status effect on an FOE to damage it ? That's pretty dickish

But good to know, thank you for telling me ! Same for the Dancer's dance slot.

So it's either be Lank/Protector/Dancer/Runemaster or Lank/Protector/Dancer/Hexer.

I don't really want to use a Medic, for simply one thing, in this case, a status effect. At least for now.

Edited by B.Leu

I went in with Landy/Alchemist/Gunner/Dancer. It's insane, but so much fun! Alchemists clear trash mobs pretty quickly, if you're smart about things. I like Gunners because they naturally hit from a distance, and they can also bind (albeit at a VERY low rate). Dancers can troll some of the nastier monsters, and Landy's there for pure damage. If you set up the dancer right, you won't need much in the way of healing.

If I wanted a pure DOE hunting party, I'd swap out the Gunner for a Hexer.

This is probably too late to help but I just found out that the blue clover drink that boosts exp boosts quest and mission complete exp. So if you have the dlc, take advantage of it by drinking the blue tea when you get back to town b4 clearing quests and missions.

I'm in the 2nd stratum with my classic team. No idea how I am gonna make my dh useful during the flame demon fight when none of the sword bad status have a good chance of landing. I'll see how things turn out.

Edited by Severian

Drain Bite.

That's how I made him useful.

EDIT:

[spoiler=Dazed postgame ramblings]I. . .just beat the Storm Emperor. And. . .I got his rare drop, too. . .

Akashic Nova OP. Time to get a new shiny sword for Fafnir~! When, uh, I kill the other two, of course!

Edited by eclipse

I actually did a bad things which was to put ailing slash and vampire grimoires on my sword dark hunter. I'm thinking that I probably don't need soul liberator at this point. Also, I rested my gunner because I was disappointed by charge element shots - I didn't really notice that they were line penetrators, and figured they would have substantially better damage output...which they don't seem to have.

I hear burst shot is beautiful though.