Etrian Odyssey

Sunwoo

Wait, I have to lure an ice bulb into the room? Do I do that using the shortcut that you use to get into the ice bulb-filled room or something?

Remember that quest from Cass where you had to find that secret area? Get VERY accustomed to the movement patterns on those things, and then lure one of them into the teleporter, then take the shortcut back out.

...Hey.

I'm a newcomer to the series.

I've only played a little bit of Etrian Odyssey IV, but so far I've enjoyed it a lot. (I'm so bad at it, though...)

...Also, I recently downloaded the demos for Untold and 2 Untold, so I'm probably going to play those pretty soon.

...that's all I have to say for now, I think?

Except... I have to say, if there's one thing I like about this series, it is its music.

YO~!

The Etrian Odyssey series is about observation. See what works for you, and run with it! Don't worry about being "bad", because the point of the game is to have fun~!

Nightmare yelled at me when he found out I play almost all of my games on mute, including EO. I haven't made the same mistake since. :P:

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that quest from Cass where you had to find that secret area? Get VERY accustomed to the movement patterns on those things, and then lure one of them into the teleporter, then take the shortcut back out.

… I have to lure it into the teleporter?! Ugh, this is going to be a headache.

… I have to lure it into the teleporter?! Ugh, this is going to be a headache.

Rules for Ice Bulb Herding:

1. They will not cross thorns. Ever.

2. You'll need at least two living ones to pull this off.

3. See that eight-square turn-around near the teleporter? You'll need to herd two Ice Bulbs in there. Good luck~!

All right, let me go give that a try. I'm having a hard time getting them to cooperate in general, so this might take some time …

Nightmare yelled at me when he found out I play almost all of my games on mute, including EO. I haven't made the same mistake since. :P:

WOW. It's a good thing you started behaving properly.

Since I had a Dark Hunter with hypno bite and soul liberate, I was able to kill Scylla and get her conditional drop on my first fight against her in classic. Now I got some nice threads for my DH to reward him for a job well done.

Hey, guys.

So I recently ordered Etrian Odyssey 3 and I should hopefully have it soon.

Anyway, I've been thinking about what team to use. So far it's kind of like this?

Princess/Hoplite/Buccaneer

Zodiac/Arbalist

...or, I could also replace either the Abalist or Buccaneer for a Monk for more healing, and then switch between the Abalist and Buccaneer in my team every now and then.

Thoughts? Opinions?

That. . .depends on how comfortable you are with the series.

Just getting started? I'd swap the Buccaneer out, because Arbalists do crazy damage.

Comfortable with the mechanics? See if you can survive on the Princess' passive healing.

I have a giant soft spot for Zodiacs, because I like picking on elemental weaknesses. Buccaneers have some hilariously gimmicky builds, Hoplites are a lifesaver, and your Princess should be pretty tanky. It should be interesting to see how far those guys go~!

EO 4 was my first game for the series (thanks to the demo) and I absolutely loved it! I was pretty surprised how making your own map was actually pretty fun! I had to wait till my birthday, which was about maybe 5 or so months, to get the game(digitally due to the sale). During that wait, I decided to play EO 3 on an emulator, which is also a great game(can't wait for a remake ;3 ). I also played the demo for the remake of EO and EO 2, both are great as well.

Although, like Persona(3), I had to learn that you should be careful and ready for anything or be prepared to get your rear handed to you on a silver platter (but if you're unlucky, it can happen regardless)! Its still feels great to conquer an area and feel like a mighty king (or queen), only to go to the next and feel a bit weak again. I love it!

At this point and time in EO4, my team is around level 75 I believe, with the last 2 extra bosses left. The one lurking in the (secret) deep darkness and the other unlocked by the powerful trio...I'm saying it this way to avoid spoilers for those who don't want it, but I kinda forget that EO4 is like...3 or so years old (I forgot, haven't played the game in a year to be honest. I did too much grinding and stopped). :3

...okay, guys. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm still a little bit undecided, but I suppose I shouldn't let that bother me too much.

Part of the fun is just playing the game and figuring out what works best, I guess~

Anyway, the game arrived today so I'll probably start it soon~(that'll be two EO games I'll be playing at the same time...)

EO 4 was my first game for the series (thanks to the demo) and I absolutely loved it! I was pretty surprised how making your own map was actually pretty fun! I had to wait till my birthday, which was about maybe 5 or so months, to get the game(digitally due to the sale). During that wait, I decided to play EO 3 on an emulator, which is also a great game(can't wait for a remake ;3 ). I also played the demo for the remake of EO and EO 2, both are great as well.
Although, like Persona(3), I had to learn that you should be careful and ready for anything or be prepared to get your rear handed to you on a silver platter (but if you're unlucky, it can happen regardless)! Its still feels great to conquer an area and feel like a mighty king (or queen), only to go to the next and feel a bit weak again. I love it!
At this point and time in EO4, my team is around level 75 I believe, with the last 2 extra bosses left. The one lurking in the (secret) deep darkness and the other unlocked by the powerful trio...I'm saying it this way to avoid spoilers for those who don't want it, but I kinda forget that EO4 is like...3 or so years old (I forgot, haven't played the game in a year to be honest. I did too much grinding and stopped). :3

Ah, yeah. Making our own map is really fun! It's probably what drew me to the series in the first place.

I actually kind of like that you have to be careful, though, even during random encounters.

At least for me, when I'm starting out in a new area, I can't just spam "Attack" and hope to win.

Plus, I love watching the enemies trying and failing to use certain attacks if I have binded them. xP

My favorite starting team for EO3 was:

That Magician dude

Princess

Hoplite?

Monkerinos

Arbalist

IIRC when I started out back then I used Gladiator instead of Magician

By abusing the Right hand bug, Monk become a pretty stronk offensive and support unit. Also IIRC one of the best early game weapon was a Club

The magician character is choosen to deal with Physical Resistant mob

Arbalist probably have the best early game thanks to Giant Killing. Mid game they transition well into frontline fighter

Princess is near useless until they got their Heal by walking skill. Their midgame is solid because Buff is simply overpowered in EO

Hoplite is Hoplite

It doesn't transition to sub class really well though. Princess makes Monk rather redundant after subclassing

Also my tips that you would probably discover by yourself, but is extremely game breaking

Is to make a farming oriented team with 5 Farmer and an Anti Random Ecounter skill. I can't stress enough how much it changes the game

Edited by JSND

You. . .actually bind random encounters? I usually spam Attack, and reserve my TP for really sticky situations!

Ah, yeah.

Mostly because I don't think spamming Attack will cut it, plus doing so seems to stop some of the monsters' more annoying attacks, like a head bind to prevent one from exploding?

But once I feel I'm strong enough I start to just use the Attack command, anyway...

Ehh, I suppose I just like getting carried away, making them more defenseless..

My favorite starting team for EO3 was:

That Magician dude

Princess

Hoplite?

Monkerinos

Arbalist

IIRC when I started out back then I used Gladiator instead of Magician

By abusing the Right hand bug, Monk become a pretty stronk offensive and support unit. Also IIRC one of the best early game weapon was a Club

The magician character is choosen to deal with Physical Resistant mob

Arbalist probably have the best early game thanks to Giant Killing. Mid game they transition well into frontline fighter

Princess is near useless until they got their Heal by walking skill. Their midgame is solid because Buff is simply overpowered in EO

Hoplite is Hoplite

It doesn't transition to sub class really well though. Princess makes Monk rather redundant after subclassing

Also my tips that you would probably discover by yourself, but is extremely game breaking

Is to make a farming oriented team with 5 Farmer and an Anti Random Ecounter skill. I can't stress enough how much it changes the game

Ah, thank you~

Yeah, I've been reading some stuff about 5-Farmer team. I think I might just do that, too~!

Edited by spiderbrush

You. . .actually bind random encounters? I usually spam Attack, and reserve my TP for really sticky situations!

Binding can definitely be great for random encounters, at least in expert, because it's not completely uncommon to find an enemy with decent durability that can wipe more than one member of your party with one attack. In eou2, those green dinosaur come to mind (2nd stratum). When you are first in stratum 2 it is useful to leg bind moa as well. But you do have to know which part to bind and have put the necessary points into the relevant bind. Sometimes it is easier to just kill enemies normally.

Alright alright alright~

Just got EO4 last night on the E-Shop (already played 1-3), anything I should be aware of/general tips and class recs?

Hhhmmm...I will give you some sort of idea or clue to help you out by telling you a little bit of my experience with my team through the game, but not too much. Also, forgive me if I tell you stuff you already know (which will happen).

In EO4, My team comprised of:

• Landsknecht (Front Line) is a main (P.) attacker.

-Has some status affecting moves as well (Buffs and Debuffs) that you may forget half way through the game, but are pretty good for the beginning.

• Fortress (Front Line) is damage sponge. (Recommended)
  • Sniper (Back Line) is good at binding limbs, status affects, and piercing lines & defenses (with certain skills).
  • Medic (Back Line)is self explanatory (Unless your play style can keep the damage off you or you know another way to heal your party moderately througt the game,YOU WILL NEED A MEDIC!)
  • Runemaster (Back Line) is a main (M.) Attacker (Highly recommended).

(This was my team step-up, find the team set-up that fits your play style, each one of these classes is recommend from my experience)

Of course,Sub-Classing, which expands your party member's ability greatly (depends on the main class and sub class combination), is back in this game. My team is set up like this: (3 classes shortened to be a bit spoiler free)

• Landsknect/Bu. for more attack power, better multi-hit options, and a bit more.
  • Fortress/Dancer to allow my tank to also cure rows of status aliments if needed and a gives a skill that alllows you to lower uses of your team special bar/gauge (I forgot the name of it) (great combo in my opinion).
  • Sniper/Arc. to allow them to be a binder and more of a status Buff and Debuffer, allowing my Landsk. to attack more.
  • Medic/ Runemaster to make more use of the large amount TP and magic power they have. It also lets them attack more often if needed.
  • Runemaster/Imp. increases magic power a bit, gives you a skill to recover TP after exploiting enemy weaknesses and allows another good hitter if you want......

(Again, choose which ever one helps or fits your play style the most.)

If you need some extra stuff or missions, use the QR codes that are on the internet. They actually help you out a bit if need exp,money, items, etc. It isn't needed, but it adds more to the game and helps you a bit if you need it.

(Note: Some extra missions are unavailable until you reach a certain point in the game or found a certain place. So scan away! Also, they tell you a recommend level before trying. You don't have to be that level, but being that level helps

Enemy Warning

Enemy: Petaloids (The flying flower/seed looking...monsters) (I hate these things, especially the last incarnation of them, which can possibly turn all your party members to stone, a.k.a. instant GAME OVER. Thankfully, THAT version of them is in the post game.)

Other incarnations : Eviloids, and Muskloids (Don't hit it unless you can kill it quickly or you kill the the other enemies first because this thing is ANNOYING AS HECK! They can hit the whole party with a [turn wasting] status aliment [sleep, Paralyze, Stone]. Appears in the second world/area of the game. Magic works great on them)

This isn't a whole lot, but I hope this helps! If you need more help/info, let me know! :3

:Joshua:

Binding can definitely be great for random encounters, at least in expert, because it's not completely uncommon to find an enemy with decent durability that can wipe more than one member of your party with one attack. In eou2, those green dinosaur come to mind (2nd stratum). When you are first in stratum 2 it is useful to leg bind moa as well. But you do have to know which part to bind and have put the necessary points into the relevant bind. Sometimes it is easier to just kill enemies normally.

Those guys can party wipe on Normal, too. What I did was use stuff like Protect Order and DPS while it charged, then had everyone except for Bertrand Defend. Bert used Front Guard to help mitigate damage. After that, I healed up (Guard Order OP). Repeat until dead.

Unfortunately, my party wasn't that great at binding heads.

Oh, and you with EO4 - Muskoids (or those petrifying bastards) don't appear until postgame (or really REALLY late main game), so don't sweat it. There's exactly one time you'll curse their existence. . .

• 2 weeks later...

...okay, I've been playing a lot of EO3 lately and so far it's been pretty good. (And wow, that 5-Farmer team really has been helping).

But I do have a question, if anyone can help!

Right now I'm at B3F, but in B2F there's been an FOE that's been giving me trouble... it seems to travel...along a narrow pathway around A1. Now, I'm ~pretty sure~ I see a pathway behind him (unless I'm going crazy), although I can't find anyway to get past him (even when going into battle and running away pushes me back in front of him). So, is there anyway to get around him?

ah...if my description is kind of vague, then I apologize...

I DID IT

I FINALLY DID IT

I FINALLY GOT THAT STUPID ICE BULB IN THE ROOM

The actual boss fight wasn't that hard. Now I can move on with this game.

I just had the most anticlimactic end to a boss battle ever.

Was on floor 30 with Ur-Child, it's been kicking my ass for a while. Not necessarily because it's hard, but because of its stupid counter move that kept on killing my gunner (and only my gunner, strangely enough). And I was paranoid and I couldn't go all out on it because if it kills my war magus (the only person with revive) I'm sort of fucked.

Well, I was near the end of the battle and having my survivalist use swap step on my highlander to deliver all the major attacks. So I had set up my highlander to deliver a powerful delayed charge+cross charge combo at the beginning of the next turn or so, but since Ur-Child had put down that forcefield that makes you lose HP at the end of the turn, my survivalist and highlander who both had the bloodlust skill were attacking every once in a while because of HP loss.

My highlander, who was all ready to deliver a massive final attack at the beginning of the next turn, killed the postgame final boss with a bloodlust proc.

;/