Etrian Odyssey

Sunwoo

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sniper I find is one of those late bloomer class in terms of killing power (They have pretty nice sustained single target damage later on). Part of their late bloomer damage potential is they seem to be crit monsters, so they want damage, they want powerful skills and they want crit buffs up too. Other damage dealers have their damage frontloaded but have either TP weakness or are reliant on other factors.

You could instead make the Sniper a Binder, it's the role a Sniper can start showing performance much faster

Level 8 is pretty early in my opinion, so you can swap around characters without too much issues. I finalised by Fortress/Dancer Runemasterx3 set up at level 10 for the rest of the game. You will have to bear with the Fortress' lackluster performance early on, and avoid spamming the ally/line/party shielding for as long as level 40-ish when the Fortress suddenly becomes ridiculous.

I also advice against pumping any skill above 5 early on because EO4 has TP cost increase at levels 5 and 10, but the also boost skill performance noticeably. Unlike older EOs, skills scale faster from 1~5, and slows down 6~10 but is still worth getting skills to level 10. I think this is to make the difference between having a skill in a mainclass vs a subclass noticeable but still worth pumping skills in subclass. Also makes early game scaling reward diverse skill spending over pumping one godly skill.

For healing without a Medic, you will need to use the party limit of healing more liberally in conjunction with items to last longer. But if you find a Healing Staff, you can replace your medic with a Runemaster without losing your Sniper to equip and cast heals. The only problem is the set up will make you lack a party status remover until someone subs Medic. While status recovery items are scarce early on, so are enemies that throw status ailments at your party. Your current party lacks a Mob clearer for most of your early game, especially if you want to invest in a Linker-Landsknecht.

Something you must know about the Linker Landsknecht, is that you need to build your party around it. You want at least 2 multi-hit classes(which you have in the form of Sniper and Dancer). Linker Landsknecht also takes a while and some skill point investment to reach their expected potential of wrecking the boss in a few turns. I'd advice you not over commit to Link skills early on(some of the other skills are pretty useful alone and immediately), and lower your expectations of it.

Also note spells can be dodged so all is fair.

In Short:Sniper vs Runemaster:

Both:

-Damage dealers with AoEs

-But doing damage isn't their sole purpose, other classes are more damage oriented but sacrifices on bringing the utilities these two have

Sniper:

-Sustained attacks, but requires time and skillpoints to build up damage

-Brings the important Binding to the party.

-Partywide Accuracy buff(A few later skills that hit multiple times hit hard but are inaccurate)

-Have to decide between speccing to be a binder or AoE damage dealer(you can get both later but early on, you are tight on skillpoints)

Runemaster:

-All skills hit hard on their own with some passives to hit harder, but needs other passives to make the damage sustainable.

-Brings elemental damage reduction to the party.

-Early game staff use means it can equip Healing Staff and be backup healer

-To ensure elemental exploitation, you need to spread skillpoints across many elements

Sniper I find is one of those late bloomer class in terms of killing power (They have pretty nice sustained single target damage later on). Part of their late bloomer damage potential is they seem to be crit monsters, so they want damage, they want powerful skills and they want crit buffs up too. Other damage dealers have their damage frontloaded but have either TP weakness or are reliant on other factors.

You could instead make the Sniper a Binder, it's the role a Sniper can start showing performance much faster

Level 8 is pretty early in my opinion, so you can swap around characters without too much issues. I finalised by Fortress/Dancer Runemasterx3 set up at level 10 for the rest of the game. You will have to bear with the Fortress' lackluster performance early on, and avoid spamming the ally/line/party shielding for as long as level 40-ish when the Fortress suddenly becomes ridiculous.

I also advice against pumping any skill above 5 early on because EO4 has TP cost increase at levels 5 and 10, but the also boost skill performance noticeably. Unlike older EOs, skills scale faster from 1~5, and slows down 6~10 but is still worth getting skills to level 10. I think this is to make the difference between having a skill in a mainclass vs a subclass noticeable but still worth pumping skills in subclass. Also makes early game scaling reward diverse skill spending over pumping one godly skill.

For healing without a Medic, you will need to use the party limit of healing more liberally in conjunction with items to last longer. But if you find a Healing Staff, you can replace your medic with a Runemaster without losing your Sniper to equip and cast heals. The only problem is the set up will make you lack a party status remover until someone subs Medic. While status recovery items are scarce early on, so are enemies that throw status ailments at your party. Your current party lacks a Mob clearer for most of your early game, especially if you want to invest in a Linker-Landsknecht.

Something you must know about the Linker Landsknecht, is that you need to build your party around it. You want at least 2 multi-hit classes(which you have in the form of Sniper and Dancer). Linker Landsknecht also takes a while and some skill point investment to reach their expected potential of wrecking the boss in a few turns. I'd advice you not over commit to Link skills early on(some of the other skills are pretty useful alone and immediately), and lower your expectations of it.

Also note spells can be dodged so all is fair.

In Short:Sniper vs Runemaster:

Both:

-Damage dealers with AoEs

-But doing damage isn't their sole purpose, other classes are more damage oriented but sacrifices on bringing the utilities these two have

Sniper:

-Sustained attacks, but requires time and skillpoints to build up damage

-Brings the important Binding to the party.

-Partywide Accuracy buff(A few later skills that hit multiple times hit hard but are inaccurate)

-Have to decide between speccing to be a binder or AoE damage dealer(you can get both later but early on, you are tight on skillpoints)

Runemaster:

-All skills hit hard on their own with some passives to hit harder, but needs other passives to make the damage sustainable.

-Brings elemental damage reduction to the party.

-Early game staff use means it can equip Healing Staff and be backup healer

-To ensure elemental exploitation, you need to spread skillpoints across many elements

This is incredibly detailed. I was basically about to drop my Sniper, but opted not to after some support and this. Now I'm about to battle Hollow Queen (didn't know that opening the door automatically triggers the battle with her, as it didn't with Berserker King, and promptly got rekt at Lv20) and I'm really glad that I didn't, since they have such high evasion. Been training and questing with Wufan and taking full advantage of her Circles. I'm tempted to pull in an arcanist or at least try Subclassing my medic with Arcanist, as for the first time in gaming since paralyze in pokemon, I feel like Status ailments really really help.

I'm wishing that there was a reliable way to restore TP though, and feel like I should stray from making a second TP-heavy class (even though they all are oops) until then.

My party is now in the 23 range (+/- 1) and I'm basing my plans on grinding with Holy Gift until I hit about WuFan's level...+1/2 probably. Considering I didn't get any link skills on my L (and only got Sonic Raid to Lv2 so oops), I'm going with Double Strike and Parry instead. I maxed P.Break and M.Break and got proficiency/expertise so I don't feel like i'm doing poorly with him. I just think that he's a really straight forward DPS-reduction who runs around with overall slightly above average stats. Got Revive Lv3 on my M so at least I can run with fun on that, and my S is pushing a crit build since I ended up going for Lock-On and the arrow skills (Flank/Steel), but I backtracked and for 3 in Arm&Leg binding, which are holypissballrific godsends against these hollows. F is pretty standard and my D is pushing for Waltzes for front line support with Attack / Guard / Refresh / Regen alternation, situation depending. I played with Wiglaf and that was my introduction to Sambas which are basically L links from what I can tell and I sort of regret not going Link at this point, and also feel like after getting 22 points in on my dancer, that it's too late to jump back and push for Sambas.

I noticed there's a Retire/Rest though. Do those restructure your Skill Points and offer a skill point benefit, or just the former?

This is incredibly detailed. I was basically about to drop my Sniper, but opted not to after some support and this. Now I'm about to battle Hollow Queen (didn't know that opening the door automatically triggers the battle with her, as it didn't with Berserker King, and promptly got rekt at Lv20) and I'm really glad that I didn't, since they have such high evasion. Been training and questing with Wufan and taking full advantage of her Circles. I'm tempted to pull in an arcanist or at least try Subclassing my medic with Arcanist, as for the first time in gaming since paralyze in pokemon, I feel like Status ailments really really help.

I'm wishing that there was a reliable way to restore TP though, and feel like I should stray from making a second TP-heavy class (even though they all are oops) until then.

My party is now in the 23 range (+/- 1) and I'm basing my plans on grinding with Holy Gift until I hit about WuFan's level...+1/2 probably. Considering I didn't get any link skills on my L (and only got Sonic Raid to Lv2 so oops), I'm going with Double Strike and Parry instead. I maxed P.Break and M.Break and got proficiency/expertise so I don't feel like i'm doing poorly with him. I just think that he's a really straight forward DPS-reduction who runs around with overall slightly above average stats. Got Revive Lv3 on my M so at least I can run with fun on that, and my S is pushing a crit build since I ended up going for Lock-On and the arrow skills (Flank/Steel), but I backtracked and for 3 in Arm&Leg binding, which are holypissballrific godsends against these hollows. F is pretty standard and my D is pushing for Waltzes for front line support with Attack / Guard / Refresh / Regen alternation, situation depending. I played with Wiglaf and that was my introduction to Sambas which are basically L links from what I can tell and I sort of regret not going Link at this point, and also feel like after getting 22 points in on my dancer, that it's too late to jump back and push for Sambas.

I noticed there's a Retire/Rest though. Do those restructure your Skill Points and offer a skill point benefit, or just the former?

I recommend getting a couple of more levels before fighting the Hollow Queen- I was around level 28-30 when I finally defeated her.

IIRC

Rest drops your level by ~3 and refunds all your skill points.

Retire drops your level to half your previous level, refunds all your skill points, and gives you bonus skill points and stat points based on the level you were at before retiring.

More 'bout retiring:

You don't see the benefit of retiring until level 30. However, it's best to retire a level 99 character, as it gives the most benefit.

Now, as for arcanist - it's not that bad, and the passives are pretty good. In all of Etrian Odyssey, status ailments are A Thing, even on bosses!

Does ailment activation stack between Skill and Weapon mods? I.E. will Arm Bind have a higher activation rate if I have my Sniper'rs Arm Shooter with 3 ArmBind modifiers? Alternatively...can two statuses occur at once if I tried using Leg Bind with my triple-ArmBind bow?

I'm not sure, but gut says no, because I don't think weapon procs count towards skill procs. That should answer both of 'em~!

Now, if you had a weapon with multiple ailments on them, only one will trigger, should it actually stick.

Does ailment activation stack between Skill and Weapon mods? I.E. will Arm Bind have a higher activation rate if I have my Sniper'rs Arm Shooter with 3 ArmBind modifiers? Alternatively...can two statuses occur at once if I tried using Leg Bind with my triple-ArmBind bow?

Never really tested it, but I think anything you put on a weapon that grants binds or status ailment only proccs if you use a normal attack. Also they are 'chance to procc'. So the more of the binds you stack on a weapon, the more chance that weapon attack binds the target on hit. Based on my experience of EO3 and forging and skills, I am inclined to say that Skill attacks do not benefit from on-hit procc effects from weapons such as Status, Binds and Fire/Ice/Volt forges.

Only way your skills benefit off forge upgrades to weapons is anything that boosts raw stats, so if you want to land binds/status more, you want weapons that increase Luck. Fire, Ice, Volt forges DO NOT increase your damage with those elements. They just deal an additional flat amount of damage as the respective element (If it's anything like EO3, I think each block is 10% of you base attack). So if you have a bow with 2 Volt and 1 Ice, your NORMAL ATTACK will essentially hit for 100% Piercing + 20% Volt + 10% Ice (Again assuming it's like EO3). If you want to increase elemental damage for both skills and proccs specifically, you want to add 'Ele' forge to the weapon.

But a nifty combo with a sniper and different binds could be you learn the skill allowing snipers to perform a NORMAL ATTACK after a bind from any source successfully lands. Your weapons has Leg or Head bind, you then use the Armbind skill. If you're lucky the monster gets Arm Bind, triggering the Sniper's passive to attack again, allowing the sniper a chance to bind the Leg or Head based on what binds the weapon has. Doesn't boost your odds of landing binds but it's a simple combo worth keeping mindful of. If the auto attack bind lands I'm not sure if it will trigger another auto attack. Would be funny if you can apply all three binds with a single skill like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention it- THE DEMO FOR ETRIAN ODYSSEY UNTOLD 2: THE FAFNIR KNIGHT CAME ONTO THE ESHOP! IT'S SO GOOD AND I LOVE IT AND THE CHARACTERS ARE SO COOL AND AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! :D I'm really feeling it! :D

• 3 weeks later...

V has finally got a proper announcement, it's set in a land called Arcadia and one of the key words is "Tribe".

Also, the game seems to be like III, with only new Classes and there will be the introduction of Races.

So hyped. My only complaint is "Scythes, why."

(EDIT: A detail i find interesting is the lack of "versatility" features like Subclasses or Grimoires, i like that, as someone who has EOII as their favorite, it' ll be interesting to go back to the days where it always felt as if my party lacked something.)

Edited by OakTree

neat. Although the whole race thing throws a wrench at my headcanon about the DNA manipulation stuff.

Oh hi little pink girl from the Nora game. Nice to see she will be in a not-Japan only game.

neat. Although the whole race thing throws a wrench at my headcanon about the DNA manipulation stuff.

Why? The bird ppl in EO2 were the result of science, so why not the same for the races in EOV?

Edited by Sane Young Dog Man

Finally ! My daily dose of happiness ! On 3DS ! Phew, thanks for the indo man !

Even better ! I really loves III. I'm curious about those races.
In IV, it was like older D&D, where races were classes, it was kinda funny.

New classes, Fencer, Dragoon, Cestus, Reaper, Warlock, Necromancer, Hound, Masurao, Shaman, Herbalist.

I have to admit, I don't very much like the loli and rabbit-men races very much (dunno which is which). I much more like the Lunarian and Earthrun, which seem to be the Arcanist/Tree people and humans respectively. I would have liked if there were races such as the Deep One. It's too FF-y and fetishy for me.
Well, Bushi was rather close enough of the fetish radar, but at least, I got the feeling that they were a different races.

The new character making seem to so very complete, I rather like it !

Coming out in Japan on August 4. Ouch, the despair in myself. D:

Edited by B.Leu

Every character is a fetish yo

I'm pretty sure the Herbalist are supposed to be a reference to a character from a game Himukai did the character design for and the pink one looks like said character.

Well, EO sorta kinda run on the loli/shota/furry fetish like crazy, soooo what I said might not be the most smart thing ever.... :p

I still think what I said, but still, when thinking about it, it's funny;