Etrian Odyssey

Sunwoo

I'm about to take a hiatus from Etrian Mystery Dungeon. My 3DS has a malfunctioning L button and I'm going to get it fixed. I may as well ask some questions, post my status and tell a story.

I'm just passed the 3rd branch dungeon. I haven't gotten wiped yet, but I also haven't dealt with DOEs yet. I'm still using my landwhatever but I've switched my other party members to medic, gunner and hexer. I'm trying to play around with all the classes if I can, thanks to the exp that gets funneled to guys outside of dungeons. Reminds me of having a full guild of members in EO3 with most of them mastering the skill that lets them get exp without entering dungeons. Great feature.

Before I get into fighting DOEs, I'd like to know something. I've noticed that when you build a fort, you can specialize it for a particular class. Is this just to provide them with the equipment listed, or is there some other reason for this feature?

Finally, my narrow victory against the 2nd floor boss. I was really, really stupid and maladroit, and I had my runemaster move into the boss's range multiple times. Basically, when controlling the runemaster, I would hold the r-button down, then press up and to the left (the direction of the boss) so I could cast a spell. But I was forgetting (multiple times, somehow) that the r-button doesn't keep you from moving like the y button does. So instead of turning, I would turn and move into the boss's melee range. He would then kill my runemaster in one hit. I would then revive him. And then I would move the runemaster out of range. And then I would try and reorient my runemaster and end up moving him into the boss's range. My runemaster died 3 times this way.

After that, the battle started heading south. So I made my protector the party leader and started moving him towards the steps, and I had my other guys (hexer and landthing) move towards the steps as well in case he got killed somehow. My protector made it behind the rock barrier that acts as a barrier between the steps and the battle area. So then I had a good idea. I used provoke. The boss would move around uselessly trying to get behind the rock barrier, and my landthing and hexer would attack him (hexer using its basic attack spell at level 1). The boss went down before I even had to use an amrita to restore my protector's TP. The finishing move was a full gain from my landguy that dealt around 140 damage to the boss.

EDIT-My protector was standing right next to the stairs, so if my other two guys died I was just gonna have him go up and use an amrita thread.

I probably would have been able to do without the runemaster and the protector's provocations if I had just brought 10 or 15 medica to the fight.

Edited by Severlan

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fort equips are good if you just recruited some scrub and are too broke to give him/her proper equipment. Once your resident scrub is out of the fort, he/she will come back with nothing (whatever they had equipped will be in your storage).

Search forts allow you to start the dungeon on the same floor as them - think of it like how Geomagnetic Poles in EO allow you to start on a given strata, so you don't have to trek down through floors 1-X to get to where you want.

Lastly. . .DOE fighting can be pretty amusing, early-on. Get a fort full of four people, and have your main party encounter it on that floor. It's a perfectly fair 8-on-1 fight!

Fort equips are good if you just recruited some scrub and are too broke to give him/her proper equipment. Once your resident scrub is out of the fort, he/she will come back with nothing (whatever they had equipped will be in your storage).

Search forts allow you to start the dungeon on the same floor as them - think of it like how Geomagnetic Poles in EO allow you to start on a given strata, so you don't have to trek down through floors 1-X to get to where you want.

Lastly. . .DOE fighting can be pretty amusing, early-on. Get a fort full of four people, and have your main party encounter it on that floor. It's a perfectly fair 8-on-1 fight!

Thanks for the advice. I knew about search forts cuz my guild is fully upgraded (well..it's at the limit for now). If you fill up a fort, is it only the first character of the corresponding class that receives the equipment listed in the fort?

As far as the part in bold goes...deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

I'd ask you if you ever fight multiple DOEs at the same time, but don't answer that question b/c I want to find out for myself.

I. . .don't know. I've only used that feature once, ever. Gut says that if you're class X, and you choose the fort-related equips, you'll get it, even if someone else has the same class.

I. . .don't know. I've only used that feature once, ever. Gut says that if you're class X, and you choose the fort-related equips, you'll get it, even if someone else has the same class.

I'll conduct an experiment!!!

Okay, so, I beat the postgame boss for EO:U some time ago and I was expecting to have completed all of the achievements on my guild card.

Then I realized that you have to beat the boss on EXPERT MODE.

WHY.

Okay, so, I beat the postgame boss for EO:U some time ago and I was expecting to have completed all of the achievements on my guild card.

Then I realized that you have to beat the boss on EXPERT MODE.

WHY.

Git gud.

Alraune (sp?) completely dominated my story party on expert (I probably needed to equip some anti-element accessories because she was doing too much damage), so I gave up Untold after beating story mode.

It was still worth it for MIKE's theme.

MIKE's theme is pretty boss.

The best way to fight the core on expert is to kill him before he kills you. The story mode party is pretty much perfect for this(I'd swap Simon to/for a troubadour though).

Action boosting and spamming strong moves like elemental torrents, spear assist, charged elements or ecstasy after some buffs and debuffs will kill the core pretty quick. I recall seeing a 5-6 turn rundown for the story mode party somewhere on GameFAQs.

The best way to fight the core on expert is to kill him before he kills you. The story mode party is pretty much perfect for this(I'd swap Simon to/for a troubadour though).

Action boosting and spamming strong moves like elemental torrents, spear assist, charged elements or ecstasy after some buffs and debuffs will kill the core pretty quick. I recall seeing a 5-6 turn rundown for the story mode party somewhere on GameFAQs.

If the story mode party is pretty much perfect for killing the core on expert mode, I could probably switch out Raquna and Arthur for my trained protector and alchemist who are level 99 retired at 99, right? I'm guessing Ricky does well enough and there is no other class that would do what she does better than she already does? (And I won't need a medic?)

If the story mode party is pretty much perfect for killing the core on expert mode, I could probably switch out Raquna and Arthur for my trained protector and alchemist who are level 99 retired at 99, right? I'm guessing Ricky does well enough and there is no other class that would do what she does better than she already does? (And I won't need a medic?)

Switching out Raquna and Arthur should be find if you've got classes to replace them.

Ricky is usually in the party because she's got innate action boost, thus not having to grind for the grimoire. A second alchemist would probably do better than her, but if you don't have an extra action boost lying around Ricky's a great candidate.

A medic isn't needed if you're negating all the damage with elemental walls and having your protector take all the physical damage. No need to do mass healing if there's no healing to do.

All right, that makes sense. I'll give that a try once I'm in a spot I can challenge the core. I found a gamefaqs guide with the core's patterns as well, so I'm guessing that should help me then?

So this past weekend I picked up Etrian Mystery Dungeon. I love the EO3 boss theme remix yeeeah boy. So I'm just now at the point where I can start running into DOEs, but I'm all like, "Ehhh" because they can mess up your town so I haven't accepted the mission yet. If any of you care my curent party is Protector/Ninja/Medic/Wanderer. Boring I know.

Elizabeth is pretty great.

So this past weekend I picked up Etrian Mystery Dungeon. I love the EO3 boss theme remix yeeeah boy. So I'm just now at the point where I can start running into DOEs, but I'm all like, "Ehhh" because they can mess up your town so I haven't accepted the mission yet. If any of you care my curent party is Protector/Ninja/Medic/Wanderer. Boring I know.

Elizabeth is pretty great.

Nothing boring about that I have a basic party of Landsknecht, Protector, Runemaster, and Medic. Pretty lame right but I have made one of every other party member so far Gunner, Dancer, Hexer, Ninja, Sovereign, and Wanderer all at roughly even levels.

My party has typically included a landthing and a hexer, but I'm dropping the hexer for now because hexer AI sucks. They have great disabling skills, but unless you're controlling them they'll spam all their tp constantly trying to effect the enemies with every status condition and debuff they have available. Leg bind is naturally pretty decent in this game, and overall I think their skills are pretty great, but they waste tp too fast.

I've also been using a protector and a gunner a fair amount. And my party died once in the 4th dungeon, so I had to do a rescue mission. Thankfully they were only a few floors down from my search fort.

My party has typically included a landthing and a hexer, but I'm dropping the hexer for now because hexer AI sucks. They have great disabling skills, but unless you're controlling them they'll spam all their tp constantly trying to effect the enemies with every status condition and debuff they have available. Leg bind is naturally pretty decent in this game, and overall I think their skills are pretty great, but they waste tp too fast.

You can disable skills to your liking so they only use what you want them to use. Go to Skills then press Y on any skills you wish to disable. This way they won't consume TP as much or any at all depending on your preferences.

Edited by Zodok_the_Priest_666

You can disable skills to your liking so they only use what you want them to use. Go to Skills then press Y on any skills you wish to disable. This way they won't consume TP as much or any at all depending on your preferences.

Wonderful. Thank you.

So yesterday I beat the third boss. Thing is I didn't expect a boss, when I reached it my guys had little TP. Oops. I did beat it, yeah, but I went through most of my Yggdrasil Leaves(Reviver Seeds). I love that the Monster House music is the FOE theme from EO4. FOE music out the butt wooooow. Fun thing is I found out it resisted everything but slash and nullified volt. Bash and Pierce is what my dudes had(Protector, Ninja, Medic, Gunner)

Beat the main game of Mystery Dungeon.

Worst storyline in the entirety of EO, by far. Didn't really care about the NPCs not named Kasumi/Magan, despite the amount of dialogue. Goes to show that it's quality of words, not quantity that make a story good.

Gamplay-wise, I am rocking Forest of Gates! Man, the theme's beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright, just got EO4, from what I've heard it's one of the easiest EO so far.

Now, the question I always end up asking is, what should I put in my team ? Medic and Dancer seems to be a must have, and I really loved the Princess and Monk classes in EO3.

Classes in EO is like pairing in FE4, it's a huuuuuuuuge headache.

Medic isn't a MUST HAVE since you can subclass them in in the future. They just mean you need to bring less of Medicas(healing items) and Theriacs(Bind/status removal items). You might even find a healing staff somewhere which grants you the basic healing spell to whoever is wielding it.

I did a run without Medics and fielding three Runemasters, so it's not that crucial. I did however make good use of the Fortress. I highly recommend you use a Fortress if you have at least 2 people dedicated to dealing damage. Be aware that the Dancer's buffs only apply to those in their row unlike the Princess who can cast it on any row.

Aaaaaaggghhhh.

I was in the crystal peak (name?) dungeon in Etrian Mystery Dungeon. I was at the last floor before the boss. I climbed down to defeat the boss. The boss does his little introduction animation...and then I get pulled back to [city name] immediately because a FOE had just invaded it.

I was so stupid not to use any forts. But it's still maddening. I lost 2 pieces of equipment on each guy who was in the dungeon, and the inn got wrecked. Now it's going to take 297,000 or so en to fix it! I really hope that number naturally declines on its own, because that's an insane amount of money for me (possibly more en than I had gathered up to this point). Also, I can't access my savings of about 30k en in the inn.