Etrian Odyssey

Sunwoo

I've played EO:U and EOIV. EOIV was harder, which is why I prefer it. I accidently broke EOU in difficulty, as I kept on being overleveled...

Classes... I never got the hand of Nightseeker. I love Runemasters and Medics though. :)

Edited by GoldenEmblem7

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In eo1u im under the impression that the boss grimoire skills are almost required for 6th stratum boss.

It kinda is in classic mode. Story Mode have Gunner shenanigans combo, but Classic Mode need to resort to Elemental Torrents

Thankfully getting level 10 Elemental Torrents is not just easy, its also EXTREMELY practical

Aside from that Wolf Pack might be essential and the anti death grimoire helps against the boss bullshit spell

But honestly speaking the 6th stratum boss is pretty luck based to beat

Edited by JSND

EO:U on expert (at least on story mode bc thanks bad class distribution) is harder than EO4 easily

dealing 66% damage and taking 166% is a huge deal (there's a reason i am bricking on it and not playing it)

Is it because you can't make 5 farmer team?

Because from what I heard Story team is ridiculously good. HL and Gunner is ridonkulous, Medic still have that party heal shenanigans, Alchemist is broken in EO:U, and Protector is.... Protector

Like.... you can use Blood Damage Buff, get the Weakness buff from Alchemist, and your set for the rest of the game until Action Boost. By the time you get Action Boost game is completely broken

Nothing in Classic Mode comes close to that, which is pretty amazing considering how stupidly broken DH(their entire skillset) and Hexer(LOL Stone Curse) already is

Classes and mechanics of EO4 is my favourite, but I prefer EO3's story. Dislike subclassing in EO3 though.

EO4's Runemaster totally won me over after the dismal performance of Zodiac and Alchemist. If all someone does is hit things hard, it's kinda redundant when a high TP costing SUPER EFFECTIVE attack does comparable damage to other damage dealer's normal attack and they even have other utilities up their sleeves. And Fortress was crucial to my Fortress, Dancer, Runemaster x3 party~ It's amazing what Party Guard + Evasion + Runic shield + Guard mastery can do.

My thoughts on EOU, as if Gunner's skill set in EO2 was not crazy useful enough. I don't intend to purchase EOU2. Saving up for EO5 if/when it comes out.

Depends on how much 18k relates to the enemy

18k sounds high though

Not a big fan of DLC because I can't buy them

I'm pretty sure this one DLC boss has well over 500,000 HP or more.

EOU2 has DLC bosses? I'm curious.

Also, I will always call it Lagaardian Waifu. No exceptions. I think the actual subtitle is Knight of Fenrir or something.

Several DLC stuff too.

That would be a good subtitle.

EO:U on expert (at least on story mode bc thanks bad class distribution) is harder than EO4 easily

dealing 66% damage and taking 166% is a huge deal (there's a reason i am bricking on it and not playing it)

Damn, I had no idea the difference was that pronounced.

I love how the guy who wrote the walkthrough on gfaqs played it on picnic. So when he talks about Cerrnunnos (fuck sp) he lists the damage from the attacks as doing about 20-40 damage.

Several DLC stuff too.

That would be a good subtitle.

Now I'm more curious. Wonder when we'll get it. I'd guess around fall or something.

Millennium Waifu agrees

EO4's Runemaster totally won me over after the dismal performance of Zodiac and Alchemist.

Oh, and btw, Zodiac is totally awesome for the main game IMO thanks to dark ether. Though it's true that some people like to make a ninja w/ zodiac sub to make dark ether cost 1 MP.

Edited by Severlan

Speaking of EO:U, does anyone have tips on how to beat the post game boss on classic mode? I'm playing on the easiest mode and even then I kept on getting my ass kicked. My team, if I recall correctly, is at level 99 and were a ronin, a dark hunter, a medic, a troubadour, and an alchemist.

Speaking of EO:U, does anyone have tips on how to beat the post game boss on classic mode? I'm playing on the easiest mode and even then I kept on getting my ass kicked. My team, if I recall correctly, is at level 99 and were a ronin, a dark hunter, a medic, a troubadour, and an alchemist.

I haven't played EOU but if it's same as EO1 DS post game, Protector is a must. Use the Protector's shield skill that raises elemental resist antifire, anticold, antivolt and immunize from a medic.

I only played EO1 and EO2. I liked the improvements they made for EO2 but the game was too easy with the force skills. I will never forget the first encounter with Muckdile's in EO2.

Primeval? He has a pattern that can be exploited, although I would probably make some team adjustments, or at least have access to elemental shield grimores minimum LV. 5. If you are going to swap anything, I would recommend you either swap out your Dark Hunter or Troub for a Defender to sponge all the physical attacks and guard against the elemental party wipes, as at that point of the game you'll either want to value actually SURVIVING the postgame boss attacks versus doing damage, or not so much worrying about buffs, as Primeval's BS wipe is targeted around how many buffs you have going.

Having a Medic is useful to having CPR for the boss's Apocalypse, which I found to be the only real threat besides Root Cyclone, as using Boost and CPR will guarantee everyone will survive with 1HP. In terms of healing, there's quite a lively discussion pertaining to Troubs actually being able to heal better, which my Troub has a CPR grimore which cuts out the need for a Medic altogether for me.

If you're not playing Story Mode, the Ronin will be your best bet towards doing high damage, but make sure you have someone to take their hits at all times, as they die really quickly I found if left unguarded against postgame bosses.

Lastly, Alchemists are okay, seeing as he is vulnerable to every elemental attack.

Edited by Maji

Get Wolf Pack. Other King Grimoire doesn't matter much.

Protector need to have as much defense as you can possibly get. Halo SHield for Necrosis, and Tusk Charm for his bash attack. Get Max Fortify, Level 9 Elemental Barrier, and finally Max Bravery Gift. Other abilities generally don't matter so spend the rest on HP/TP boost. Personally I went with Max Ele, Max Fortify, Max Bravery Gift, and Max the ability that allows him to take less damage/survive with small HP

Dark Hunter.... spam Ecstasy. Thats the gist of it. Even bindless, DH have a massive DPS(as strong as Swallow Cut with one of the top end weapon). I think I heard that his counter move can be used to some degree here, but I never tried it.

On a more complex route, DH's ability where you get stronger at lower HP is really good in this battle. You WILL die(in expert) if he as much as touch you. Therefore, you enter the fight with DH at 1 HP, getting the full benefit of this ability

If you put it on Grimoire, you get twice the benefit of the skill, depending on the higher level. Spoiler Alert: This and a certain skill on Story Mode is the basis of the 2 Turn strategy, so you can guess how powerful it is

Medic is a bit good, and a bit useless in this battle. If you have Manticore King Grimoire, one of Medic selling point, which is Boosted CPR is nulified entirely. Regardless, Unbind can save you in a bind(pun intended), and with DH strats, or reallly any "resonable" strats, you WON'T heal in this battle, except for maybe the Protector after using Bravery Gift. The reliable classic mode bonus boss guide in Gamefaqs forum actually used a CPR Medic., so its worth a look.

Anyway the use of CPR is to cheat your way out of this battle. If you have TON of buff, the bonus boss will use Armageddon. The cue into Armageddon is when he removed all of your buff. If you make a clearly planned out turn table, you can respond by buffing up your party during the debuff turn, and use Boosted CPR to rofl your way

Not much to say about Ronin aside from use Elemental Chase for massive damage, or swallow spam ftw. Honestly I don't like Ronin's reliance on setting up, and with how easy it is to acquire boss grimoire.... they are eh. Maybe they make a solid damaging core with Dillution... I dunno

Alchemist is awesome thanks to their massive DPT. They are the best class for this battle IMO. Get one of the elemental Torrents. Use Analysis, maybe Dillution, then spam torrents.

Troubadour is a bit less ideal for an offensive buffer since their buff is weaker than other of its kind, and it covers the whole party, but they get the job done properly. Just buff/debuff. Not much to say here really(I don't use them much :()

So the protector is a must for this battle? I do have one I've been training up, so I'll get her to level 99 if necessary and throw her into the party. How exactly do the grimoires work, though? I didn't quite understand how they worked when the explanation for it was given, so I went through the entire rest of the game without using them once.

I'll give the other strategies you guys suggested a whirl, hopefully it'll work. Thanks especially to JSND for such a detailed write up on everything!

Oh, and btw, Zodiac is totally awesome for the main game IMO thanks to dark ether. Though it's true that some people like to make a ninja w/ zodiac sub to make dark ether cost 1 MP.

True, Dark Ether is handy. But anyone can sub Zodiac for it, which is my gripe with the subclass system in EO3 with everyone having full access to subclass skill levels. I didn't make full use of Dark Ether though since having enough Gladiators and Arbalist can lead to bosses dying so fast, TP has never been an issue.

With that said, the Prophecy skills while SP intense might come in useful in some boss fights I guess.

Finished classic mode of EOU recently. Did a really stupid thing with the 6th stratum boss and fought him with a non retired level 73-75 party. Managed to beat him in two turns with a chaser strat but had to get a lot of luck to get all the bloodlust/chases to proc.

Hoping that EOU2 gets localized soon, looks really fun despite the Fafnir ruining the balance of the game.

I tried looking for my copy of EO:U. I went through my entire room, and found literally every other 3DS game. . .except for that one. WHY?!

(worse comes to worse, I download it. . .I happen to be fond of the series, so I don't feel it's wasted money)

I'll definitely go through Story Mode, not because lolbrokenmaincharacter, but because I'm curious to see how the story pans out.

Grimoires help in ruining the balance too. Then again the games were never that balanced.

Is Grimoire in 2 really that broken?

It was like borderline useless in 1, aside from Falcon Punch. And maybe transferring gunner AB everywhere, but they are not as OP as fuck as Dark Hunter anyway

ah yes, finally a board relevant to my current interests.

anyways, I've just reached 3rd stratum on EO3(current party is G/H/P/B/Z, all level 29). Lava tiles are p annoying and Guard Soles don't do much stuff towards them due to 10 steps only.

I'm honestly torn about subclassing. I could use an ideal cookie-cutter setup(H/N, M/P, etc) but it won't be quite as an interesting experience(and tbh I already have a M/Z sitting on my bench before I realize Z/M could probably do the same thing) . Maybe I'll just get it for the 5 extra points(or wait until I get Shogun).

also while we're at it can we discuss EMD too b/c it's still an EO game despite being a spin-off

I decided to start new game+ on my EO:U file so I can rush through story mode and unlock everything there. I haven't tried to take on the postgame boss yet because my protector was kind of underleveled compared to the others ;_; I'm going to use story mode to figure out how grimoires work and hopefully when I return to classic I'll be better prepared to take on the final boss (and have more motivation to train the protector).

In other news: I've been wanting to start new game+ in EO4, but I've been hearing about some glitch that affects your "days ventured" in new game+. Apparently, it accumulates the days traveled super fast, and if it rolls back to a certain point then it will screw up F.O.E.s respawning. Does anyone know of this glitch, and if it ALWAYS happens whenever you start new game+?

The new game + glitch only affects the F.O.E.s that have special respawn times (like the Dream Eaters in the second land). So the only problem would be causing F.O.E. grinding to take longer.

At least from what I've read. Haven't tried new game + on my file because I was planing on making a team to fight WS without chemicals.

The new game + glitch only affects the F.O.E.s that have special respawn times (like the Dream Eaters in the second land). So the only problem would be causing F.O.E. grinding to take longer.

At least from what I've read. Haven't tried new game + on my file because I was planing on making a team to fight WS without chemicals.

Well, since my entire team that would be transferred over (minus the NPCs) are basically at their maximum already I suppose the F.O.E. grinding wouldn't affect me personally, it might just look awkward on the guild card. So in other words, it's basically guaranteed I'll get the glitch if I start new game+?