Etrian Odyssey

Sunwoo

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, Ginnungagap F5 is terrible. But at least I got through it. I think I was overleveled, both the final boss and Ginnungagap's boss battle felt disappointingly anticlimactic.

Oh well, onto the postgame.

I have to admit that while I didn't have too much trouble with the yggdrasil labyrinth 25f boss, I had a lot of trouble with the ginnungagap boss (I think I had to fight him 4 or 5 times!). Mostly because it took me a few tries just to understand what was going on.

Hey...

I love this series...

Oh man, we'll need a LOT more than that. What's your favorite game, and why? What are your thoughts of the rest of the entries? Why do the three dragons suck? :P:

Speaking of dragons. . .every last EO that I know of has those three elemental dragons. I bat the final one, with Fafnir at something like 168 HP and 24 TP, and the rest of my party dead. . .oh, right, details.

I had Chloe and Fafnir go berserk with Ailing Slash when applicable (and Delayed Freeze Sabers and support otherwise), while Bertrand/Arianna kept the party safe with Fire Wall. Flavio tried to do a bit of damage, while Marion took up a slot. I screwed up the pattern, which killed Fafnir. Thanks to the fact that I had to revive his sorry ass, I wound up having to scramble, and transformed Fafnir to keep his sorry ass live. Unfortunately, this allowed the dragon's core to get a hit in, which wiped everyone except for Fafnir and Chloe. Luckily, Flavio had managed to land a Blind Arrow before going down. I decided that Chloe was a lost cause, and had her use Ailing Slash one last time, while Fafnir used Accelerate. Thanks to the Dinogator armor (or whatever that thing is, it resists all elements), I could survive the core. Thanks to blind, the dragon's attacks missed me. I used Ailing Slash three times, in order to get the dragon's health as low as possible. The dragon, in turn, missed with Flame Torrent, while I managed to survive the core's attack with a sliver of health. Did Akashic Nova out of desperation. . .and the dragon died.

That means I got the rare drop from all three dragons. Goodbye Great Dragon, you were a gigantic pain in the ass.

tl;dr - I should've had Attack Order up, because that attack debuff hurts like crazy.

Still not finished with EO2:U yet, but I've gone back and started playing EO4 again on a new cartridge from scratch. It amuses me how weak everyone is at the beginning, but I also remember why EO4 is my favorite of the series.

Hmm. Eclipse, you did the fire one last? Normally that was the relatively easy one for me.

That's the order they came in!

Still, don't underestimate any of them.

I guess something bad happened...?

Let's just say that mirror shield is a very dirty AI trick. It's annoying enough when you can predict when it'll go up. But I had to restart the fight against the ice dragon several times because of mirror shield, and I couldn't find any pattern as to when that move goes up??? That's just evil and makes the entire battle a gamble. It's not even hard if you know what you're doing, but this one move can fuck over your entire team and if there's no pattern as to when it goes up, then you're done fucked.

Fuck mirror shield.

Yeah mirror shield is horrible. A lot of deaths were cause by it.

The funny thing is you can get the Blizzard King to kill itself through curse damage with a Level 1 Beast. It's the only dragon that can be inflicted with curse so it's the perfect revenge for causing deaths through counter. You can also get his conditional this way as well.

So there really is no way to predict when mirror shield will happen in EO2:U? Bullshit, at least in EO:U it only happened on turns that were an interval of four. And I have to fight the blizzard king for the conditional drop. How do I get it?

So there really is no way to predict when mirror shield will happen in EO2:U? Bullshit, at least in EO:U it only happened on turns that were an interval of four. And I have to fight the blizzard king for the conditional drop. How do I get it?

The first one is predictable (right after the first core activates). After that, I suggest mounting all of your strength into a single attack, on an Ice Torrent turn. Like, let loose everything a bit before Ice Dragon is in critical health.

In short:

While in the guild house: Fafnir gets as many practical Volt grimoires as possible (but don't sacrifice usable things, like Volt Saber!), Chloe gets Barrier up as high as possible, Bertram goes for stuff like Curb Def UP, Flavio gets Curb Atk UP, Perseverance, and as many Pierce grimoires as he can, and Arianna gets a level 5-9 Ice Wall, as well as the rest of the Volt grimoires (as tempting as it is to get Ice Wall to max level, there's apparently some sort of bug that causes the second Wall to be canceled if the first absorbed damage). Don't bother killing the core - have one of Bertram/Arianna guard against it! Whoever isn't on primary guard duty will also want Affection Collar - thanks to ANOTHER bug, it helps AGI-based skills. . .like, Flavio's entire default set. Nom down on either the food that resists whatever ailment Wail likes to tack on, or something else that you think will be helpful. If you STILL doubt your burst, eat the TEC +10 food. That'll give everyone except for Flavio and Bertrand more damage.

Previous turn: Set up. To drop its defenses, you can either use a Fairy Robe Guard Slash, use Snake Eyes while Ice Dragon has an ailment, or use some monster grimoire. I'd have Chloe use Barrier, and then use an elemental-defense dropping grimoire. Use Affection Collar as well - that move is so very broken~!

Fafnir - Akashic Nova with Warmight and/or Attack Order

Chloe - Fairy Robe Ailing Slash, also with Warmight and/or Attack Order

Bertram - Perfect Defense, so you don't have to worry about dying

Flavio - Affection Collar Summer Rain

Arianna - Link Order (I'd get this up to 15+) OR if you have a very high-level Compression and Volt Torrent grimoire, Compression + Volt Torrent (I THINK that goes off of TEC?)

If I can YOLO a dragon, you can too~!

Remember that giant fire-breathing jerk on Floor 8? The one you had to dance around because the story wanted some item or another?

Yeah. That's a boss, just like how Sir Lighting was in EO:U.

Edited by eclipse

Remember that giant fire-breathing jerk on Floor 8? The one you had to dance around because the story wanted some item or another?

Yeah. That's a boss, just like how Sir Lighting was in EO:U.

*flips table*

I thought it was on like the sixth stratum or something.

Well, guess I'll be sending my party to fight the jerk.

Eh, Mystery Dungeon is starting to be hard at the fourth stratum. Also, the DOE is such a witch... whelp, it's not it's really fault. It's the dungeons that get me with time.

And the boss that screw me over at the last moment by using a sleep spell on my Protector. Delicious ! :o

Also, I unlocked the encyclopedias, and I was pleasanlt y surprised that they allowed you look at the weapons you go, it's really a nice touch !

Edited by B.Leu

...Hey.

I'm a newcomer to the series.

I've only played a little bit of Etrian Odyssey IV, but so far I've enjoyed it a lot. (I'm so bad at it, though...)

...Also, I recently downloaded the demos for Untold and 2 Untold, so I'm probably going to play those pretty soon.

...that's all I have to say for now, I think?

Except... I have to say, if there's one thing I like about this series, it is its music.

Does anyone know how to go about completing the quest "shadow of the castle"? I found the boss that I'm supposed to defeat, but I don't know how to approach it. Whenever I get close, it knocks me back with a shockwave, and there seem to be no other way to get to it other than the direct approach.

You need to lure an ice bulb into the room. It'll make it so that he won't hit you back.

Wait, I have to lure an ice bulb into the room? Do I do that using the shortcut that you use to get into the ice bulb-filled room or something?