Is it possible to run FE 3 blind?

xypher

I just wanna know before I dive in if FE3's not going to entirely beat me up for not learning some little dance routine trick or something. If it is possible to do so (even if frustratingly hard) then I might do a play log of it for luls, including times reset/reasons for reset if they're significant enough to note.

I've never done a play log before to be quite honest, but they seem very interesting to do. I'm just curious as to if anyone would be interested in watching someone semi-new to FE stumble about an older game.

honestly the only fe games i'd say not to run blind would be FE5 and FE6, due to FE5's difficulty and strange mechanics you won't expect like having 2 party members after chapter 3 and losing people that don't escape before leaf, and FE6 due to all the gaiden requirements for the good ending

FE4 might fit due to all the little nuances and conversations, but as long as you know to marry people and get yourself children, it's hard to screw yourself over so much that you can't do anything

Edited by Psych

He's talking about Fire Emblem 4, marriage or supports didn't really exist in their more modern forms yet in 3.

It's possible to screw yourself in 3 by missing stuff but the game pretty much tells you "get this or you are screwed" so it shouldn't be a problem as long as you are careful.

He's talking about Fire Emblem 4, marriage or supports didn't really exist in their more modern forms yet in 3.

As a neat aside, many fans aren't aware there are supports in FE3. Fei Wong from FESS found them out and was using their data for a fan hack at one point.

Shame it and lots of other interesting stuff is just lost to the amnesiac internet.

It's possible to screw yourself in 3 by missing stuff but the game pretty much tells you "get this or you are screwed" so it shouldn't be a problem as long as you are careful.

Oh oops. I didn't notice the edit, since before it just said "FE."

well book 1 is just FE1/11 and book 2 is FE3/12 so it should be understood they're actually different games

Oooh, okay. I'm still new enough to the series to make dork mistakes so I'm glad people are helping to clarify stuff.

As a neat aside, many fans aren't aware there are supports in FE3. Fei Wong from FESS found them out and was using their data for a fan hack at one point.

Shame it and lots of other interesting stuff is just lost to the amnesiac internet.

I specifically said supports in their "modern" form though. Fire Emblem 3 lets certain units give others a nice little bonus in combat, but it doesn't always work both ways and they are simply permanent bonuses between characters. They don't level up and there are no support conversations or anything.

This game has a precursor to supports we see later but it's really not anything a first time player need worry about as you can't control them.

You could play 11 and 12 instead. They have a lot of modern conveniences that 3 does not, like the ability to simultaniously vew multiple enemy ranges, or the ability to combine weapons, or casual mode (12 only). Additionaly, fe3 book 1 cut out around 5 chapters and several characters from fe1 that fe11 reinstated. 12 also added content (like an awakening-ish avatar and a sub-plot or two), although options vary widly about it's quality. They even give you generic replacement characters if you mess up too hard, although i belive that you can still get stuck with the bad ending

Additionaly, fe3 book 1 cut out around 5 chapters and several characters from fe1 that fe11 reinstated.

in fairness, the 5 cut chapters were mostly filler. Book 1 doesn't really suffer from their loss. 2 of the characters (the two ballisticians) were likely cut because of changes to how the class worked in FE3.

Fe11/12 also removed things like dismounting (ymmv on whether that's a good or bad thing), growth-boosting items(although if he's playing blind this wouldn't be much of a benefit), and the regalia doubling EXP gain.

Also, YMMV on how much of the added content in FE12 actually improved the game.