Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown II: Creature Features *VOTING over*

ErrantDShepherd

So... Our first Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown winner... was Nih, with Best Overall Sprite and Best Full Custom Sprite!
Together with Best Edit/Splice winner Lt. Smirks, and runners up Thor Odinson and General Ciraxis... we bring you... Round 2!

----

THEME/TOPIC: "Creature Features" make an original character, either a non-human individual, or human with pet animal/monster. (Up to you how non-human/monstrous their appearance is.)

Examples... A boy and his dog, half-manakete original character like Sophia, Werewolf, Laguz, etc...
Our example Entry: (does not have to match format)

e1e7b2f78cccef07be2691b2d64fc45e.png
-A man with his... pet bird? REMINDER: must be original character.
------

Rules of the competition for your reference.
[spoiler=Rules]
RULES:
1) only 1 entry per contestant, either in the Full Custom division or in the Splice/Edit division.
-Please declare which division you fall under to avoid potential confusion.
2) No voting for your own entry!
3) Entries should be limited to 16 colors.(15 colors+ 1 background color) This is more of a guideline, but good to follow for style and challenge reasons. Colors may be custom or using GBA sprite palletes.
4) No posting previous/old works. This means no edits/recolors of something previously made as well.

[spoiler=Voting and Winners]

VOTING:
Voting will be split into three categories,
-Best Full Custom (single vote)
-Best Edit/Splice (single vote)
-Pick the ones you like (Multiple votes)

>Voting will run for 3 days
>Sprites will be categorized following the voting
>Highest combined Votes=Best Overall Sprite
>Highest vote Full custom=Best Custom Sprite
>Highest vote Splice/Edit=Best Edited Sprite

WINNERS:
Winner of Best Overall Sprite may also be the winner of Best Full Custom, or Best Splice/Edit category.
> Winner of the Best Overall Sprite gets to choose the next theme/topic of the following contest.

Runners-up will be the two contestants with the next highest votes following the winners.
> Winners and Runners-up must provide their choices within 3 days of the host's private messaging. Host will provide the next theme/topic if no reply in 3 days.

----

Any further questions or concerns can be PMed to the current host!(That's me Errant, currently) ...or posted either in the feedback thread or within this thread itself.

DEADLINE over: Entries may be posted, and edited up until 11:59pm PST Tuesday, March 3. Deadline has now past.

Hope you all enjoy and have some fun! Lets get spriting! :D

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

creaturefeature_by_rubydragoncat-d8i9yo1

Character from my original fiction project that's been collecting dust...he's a vampelf(vampire/elf hybrid) named Blazen. Got his name because that's what all male fire elves are named when they're born at the crack of dawn on the first day of summer, and his mom knew that even though one day he would grow fangs and reveal his true parentage, not giving him the special name would raise some eyebrows right away. His pet is a dragoncat(my namesake!), an emerald tom named Jasper. All the colors that dragoncats come in are named after gems. But other than that and having dragon wings/being able to fly, they're like regular housecats.

Blazen was edited from a sage sprite. Makes sense, being half fire elf he can use fire magic. Jasper is full custom.

itried/10

8mR4xyM.png?1

tyNoh0O.gif

Loosely based of my character from Harvest Moon, in which he has a pet ferret. Yeah.

Uh. Lesse.

The ferret may look weird, but that's because I'm bad at proportions; human or animal.

That's a bag of (turnip) seeds in his hand BTW.

First full custom. Turned out pretty well.

Edit: Call him...iunno. Frank? Kent? One of the two.

Edit the second: Played around with the ferret; should I give Frank/Kent a hat?

Edit the third: Gifed the ferret for your pleasure and enjoyment. I mean, this contest is about the animals after all.

Edited by Kao

itried/10

t63zYiz.png?1

Loosely based of my character from Harvest Moon, in which he has a pet ferret. Yeah.

Uh. Lesse.

The ferret may look weird, but that's because I'm bad at proportions; human or animal.

That's a bag of (turnip) seeds in his hand BTW.

First full custom. Turned out pretty well.

Edit: Call him...iunno. Frank? Kent? One of the two.

Yeah the ferret does look weird. Maybe adding ears would help? But don't feel bad. Jasper doesn't look overly fantastic either.

I added a friend's suggestion of putting the tail up, and I think I like the tail up. Sure, it may not be practical, but hey. Who needs physics?

Fun fact: The sprite I made was originally going to be heavily based off of a YouTube personality, but then I removed obvious references to said personality since I remembered it was a custom character, and I wanted to further distinguish the sprite from the person.

That, and I really want to play Harvest Moon atm.

GAH. FARMING.

0PyzmR4.png

I was totally thinking of Essa when I suggested OCs

and then it became OCs with creatures oh no what do

And then I remembered that Essa's design has 12 fucking dragons on it yeah motherfucker she gets a dragon

Also every time i draw her her biceps seem to get bigger i ain't complainin~

Concept art (sans dragon)

Edited by Thor Odinson

I think it would be difficult to sprite with a tablet, but as we digress. Awesome sauce. Now Blazen and Jasper feel as inadaquite as their creator. That's misspelled so badly even the spell check doesnt work, btw...

...Welp, I think we know our next winner. ._.

But damn it, I was going to do a blue dragon too! Good thing it's going to look different anyway.

EDIT: Dragoncat, I sprited my shirtless Ike avy with my tablet. :P

Edited by Anacybele

You can do p much anything on tablet, I also use it for vector art

Mouse would be hard to sprite something that scale for me; Someone who's actually used to spriting with a mouse could probably do it but my spriting style is pretty much paint the goddamn thing then refine so it works much better with tablets

Edited by Thor Odinson