Fire Emblem: RD(Rebalance Hack) Updated: 10th October 2015

Roxachronc

Sorry for a long wait, anyways i am still playing through the mod to see what changes i can do before updating a patch, there has been some interesting thinks along the way that i have discovered, but aside from the initial changes i posted down there all the other ones will not be revealed until at least a beta of the patch is down, I could upload one, but still a few tweaks, I think a lot of people will like it, or at least i hope so, but in case you are wondering i am planning to release the first version of it in a couple of months(December), so feel free to post any changes in the meantime and sorry again for the long wait.

First Version Release: January 15th

Character changes:
----Sothe
Guard --> Resolve
Biorythm->09
Spd 50%
Lck 60%
Def 35%
--Rogue
FOW->06
non-promote skill->Crit15
Stre 22->25
Skill 26->30
Luck->35
Res->17
--Whisper->Assasin
FOW->7
Whisper item find bonus->crit25
Bane-> Lethality
Str 28->34
Skill38->40
Def26->25
----Micaiah
Sacrifice->Wrath
Biorythm->09
1 authority star
Recruitment
+1 Skill
+1 Speed
HP 50%
Skill 45%
Speed 40%
Luck70%
Def 25%
Res 80%
--Light Mage
FOW 03->05
non-promote skill->Sacrifice
--Light Sage
FOW 03->05
non-promote skill->Sacrifice
Dark magic added C/A
Skill 23->25
Speed 25->26
--Light Priestess
FOW 04->07
Shove->Aurora(mostly for messing with the skill)
Dark magic A/SS
Speed 33->35
----Sanaki
recruitment:
+4 Str
+2 Speed
+1 Skl
Mgc 70%
Skl 65%
Spd 45%
--Empress
Shove->Aurora
Skill 33->37
speed 32->35
Thunder SS
Wind SS
Light SS
Weapon Changes:
-Florete
changed to do magic damage
+1MT
Cymbeline
+10% Crit
Beast Knife
Rank D-> B
Peshkatz
+2 MT
+15% Crit
Kard
+1MT
+10 hit
+5% Crit
Stiletto
+1 MT
+10% Crit
Baselard
+5% Crit
Lughnasadh
+1MT
+10% Crit
This is just for now, I will take a break and continue in a while and update it.
Some photos when I was testing:
Micah modded Caps as a Light Mage
post-13666-0-74889500-1424307635_thumb.jpg
Sothe Caps as an Assasin(regular Assasin has 40 in skill and speed)
post-13666-0-33872400-1424307662_thumb.jpg
Sothe Skills as an Assasin
post-13666-0-38024700-1424307650_thumb.jpg
Micah having access to Dark Magic when promoted.
post-13666-0-25578300-1424307676_thumb.jpg
Edited by Roxachronc

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE9/10 hacking sounds really fun. In this case, I don't think Micaiah and Sothe need any buffs at all. They fulfill their roles perfectly. Micaiah isn't really meant to be a speedster Mage that doubles & 1RKO's stuff, but she does her role well being being able to 1HKO tough enemies like Knights & heal pretty well. Sothe is already excellent in Par 1, passable in Part 3 and he might as well take a break in Part 4, for all the job he's been doing. I do think he could use an Assassin promotion by then, that way it just adds Part 4 utility.

Nice! It's great to see some non-GBA hacking around here : )

Do you have some screenshots to show off?

I will take some an upload them :D

FE9/10 hacking sounds really fun. In this case, I don't think Micaiah and Sothe need any buffs at all. They fulfill their roles perfectly. Micaiah isn't really meant to be a speedster Mage that doubles & 1RKO's stuff, but she does her role well being being able to 1HKO tough enemies like Knights & heal pretty well. Sothe is already excellent in Par 1, passable in Part 3 and he might as well take a break in Part 4, for all the job he's been doing. I do think he could use an Assassin promotion by then, that way it just adds Part 4 utility.

Well the mods were just for a etst mostly, tough I see your point with Micaiah, Sothe is really the same in part 1 tbh, he is just oevrall much more useful for fighting in the last chapter with being an Assasin instead of Whisper, still I need to rebalance Micaiah.

Maybe you can buff some other members of the Dawn Brigade? They have less chapters than the Greil Mercenaries so they need all the help they can get.

Of course, I think they need the most help,well in reality you use DB for more chapters since you use them on 3 more on part 3, but that is why I want to buff them so people don't think like''I need to get over Part 1 quickly to use Ike'', of course I don't say I am the ebst at balancing, but I will try to do as best as

Sorry for doubling posting D:

Edited by Roxachronc

There are some nightmare modules for FE10 lying around somewhere which I have used to make my own rebalance of this game. It seems your hack goes beyond just character/class balance that the nightmare modules come with. Do you think you could make nightmare modules to gives skills like lethality to rogues and the such?

Edited by thetiger39

my attitude towards this is the same as my attitude towards FE6 improvement attempts, which is that FE10 is not in dire need of improvement and even if it were, i wouldn't trust a random user to make meaningful changes that have an impact on gameplay.

what FE10 needs is more playable chapters for some of the units who have little availability. a ton of small changes like the one that you listed in the OP isn't going to adequately address FE10's problems. for example:

1. what is giving micaiah innate miracle going to do? instead of micaiah always dying, she now has a (100 - luk)% of dying. that's not meaningful at all, since micaiah is still dying more than 80% of the time in the earlygame.

micaiah has a lot of big problems, namely being slow, unable to take a hit, and not even strong offensively since light magic is weak. there are many ways to address these problems, very few of which you use. you could:

• increase micaiah's base HP and def by 2 points each or more. this stops her from being OHKO'd as early as chapter 1-1.
  • increase micaiah's spd growth. you at least did this with a substantial improvement, congratulations.
  • increase the base power of light magic, or increase thani's MT to 9 or 10 so that micaiah doesn't chronically fall short of OHKOing the targets that thani is supposed to be effective against.
  • give micaiah innate paragon or reduce her class base power to increase EXP gain. paragon is tricky because it can be used by a better unit later on, but at least it's functionally locked to micaiah or sothe until you get zihark.

slightly changing her tier 1 caps does approximately nothing. improving her fog vision range does nothing aside from making 1-9 easier to figure out. giving her fortune (wtf?) upon promotion does nothing aside from a free 3000G because fortune is a bad skill. giving her dark magic upon promotion does nothing because there's approximately nothing that sets aside dark magic from light magic aside from slightly higher MT.

2. why does sothe need to be improved? yeah, most players lament that sothe's part 4 performance is bad and they don't like that he's forced into 4-E. starting good and ending bad isn't necessarily a bad thing. he's already one of the better units in the game overall and if your stated goal is balancing the game, sothe shouldn't be made any better than he is already. promote him to assassin just so the casuals can stop complaining and maybe un-force him from 4-E. done.

Edited by dondon151

There are some nightmare modules for FE10 lying around somewhere which I have used to make my own rebalance of this game. It seems your hack goes beyond just character/class balance. Do you think you could make nightmare modules to gives skills like lethality to rogues and the such?

Yeah I know, I use them for quick Growth Editing and Class Cap, also help a lot to find offsets.

To be honest I don't find myself very knowledgeable to create them, especially since the Class data seems to be different in size for quite some of them, hex editing for them does not take that much time to be honest(also rogue with Lethality is too unfair,lol.)

my attitude towards this is the same as my attitude towards FE6 improvement attempts, which is that FE10 is not in dire need of improvement and even if it were, i wouldn't trust a random user to make meaningful changes that have an impact on gameplay.

what FE10 needs is more playable chapters for some of the units who have little availability. a ton of small changes like the one that you listed in the OP isn't going to adequately address FE10's problems. for example:

1. what is giving micaiah innate miracle going to do? instead of micaiah always dying, she now has a (100 - luk)% of dying. that's not meaningful at all, since micaiah is still dying more than 80% of the time in the earlygame.

micaiah has a lot of big problems, namely being slow, unable to take a hit, and not even strong offensively since light magic is weak. there are many ways to address these problems, very few of which you use. you could:

• increase micaiah's base HP and def by 2 points each or more. this stops her from being OHKO'd as early as chapter 1-1.
  • increase micaiah's spd growth. you at least did this with a substantial improvement, congratulations.
  • increase the base power of light magic, or increase thani's MT to 9 or 10 so that micaiah doesn't chronically fall short of OHKOing the targets that thani is supposed to be effective against.
  • give micaiah innate paragon or reduce her class base power to increase EXP gain. paragon is tricky because it can be used by a better unit later on, but at least it's functionally locked to micaiah or sothe until you get zihark.

slightly changing her tier 1 caps does approximately nothing. improving her fog vision range does nothing aside from making 1-9 easier to figure out. giving her fortune (wtf?) upon promotion does nothing aside from a free 3000G because fortune is a bad skill. giving her dark magic upon promotion does nothing because there's approximately nothing that sets aside dark magic from light magic aside from slightly higher MT.

2. why does sothe need to be improved? yeah, most players lament that sothe's part 4 performance is bad and they don't like that he's forced into 4-E. starting good and ending bad isn't necessarily a bad thing. he's already one of the better units in the game overall and if your stated goal is balancing the game, sothe shouldn't be made any better than he is already. promote him to assassin just so the casuals can stop complaining and maybe un-force him from 4-E. done.

Don't worry Fortune and Miracle were mostly for testing purposes,if i am not wrong it seems that giving a character an innate skill and a class an innate skill is different because the innate skills are free for characters but not for classes, also wanted to know if Miracle got changed by Fortune or fortune just adds(it overwrites it.)
The Caps change was also for testing,
Sothe to Assasin(in reality he is still ''Whisper'' I just pointed the name to the offset name of Assasin and also his message) was because as said, Sothe is a forced unit and does not take the slot for anyone and promoting him before 3-12(or 13, the Defending chapter where Ike is the boss) could give you the chance to be able to deafeat Ike more easily so the chapter is less hated,in part IV it makes finding items on the desert chapter more easily if he has better stats, and also encourages people to enjoy more using the Dawn Brigade.
Micaiah using Dark Magic makes some tomes you find along the wat like Fenrir or the SS one to be more of use instead of ebing just selled if you are not using Pelleas, and of course that makes it more powerful than only Light magic users, since buffing the actual Light magic will make Pelleas worse and it won't give her an edge over other Light magic users,this helps to make DB chapters more enjoyable IMO.
Adding playable chapters or changing the units avaibility is not something you can do in a couple of hours,or at least something that I have currrently no experience doing for a Wii game, i think making the chapters a little more enjoyable with mods to growths and stats (along with some changes into Forging and Items,enemies levels,etc.) is a good way to start , especially since very few people actually mess with FE10 for it.
Of course the critics are always welcome as long as they help me improve with this :)
Edited by Roxachronc

thani has the same base power as worm and way more hit. i highly doubt anyone has ever seriously thought, "oh man, i wish i could use carreau or verrine instead of light magic" when playing FE10.

But it makes Micaiah being able to use the SS tome or Fenrir(which ds not go to waste if you're not using Pelleas.), and as said preiouvsly makes DB chapters more fun because you will have an extra reason to promote her(since Dark Tomes will reveive a slight buff.), this also makes more easy to send units like Rhys, Oliver or Laura if you want to use the best Light tomes for them.

And it adds the cool factor of ''It can use Light and Dark magic at the same time'', which again makes using Dawn Brigade more fun.

the prospect of micaiah gaining access to dark tomes is about as exciting as sitting through a production of the marriage of figaro.

As said previously, as long as critics help with new ideas or say why an idea is bad I am fine with it, but being unrespectful to other people's projects like if your opinion should the only one considered(which was since the first post you made, but since it had a couple of good ideas an part of it that contributed to the project then I had no problems with it.) is not helping in any form.

There are 1 or 2 people that liked the idea of Micaiah running Dark magic, and since it doesn't affect the general gameplay and puts a use to Dark tomes aside from being selled then I was convinced too.

Of course the items will receive some buffs and nerfs so the Light and Dark magic will also have its differences, I said it in the first topic.

Comments on things you've mentioned so far:

Micaiah

-Fixing Micaiah's Speed is definitely of importance, so that's good. Personally I would prefer you leave her Luck growth as it is in game and drop her HP and Def back down to keep more of a glass-cannon feel to her; a unit that is powerful offensively but heavily reliant on dodging to survive. A small increase to her HP and Def bases, as dondon mentioned, in order to save her from some early OHKOs would be good, but honestly the only thing I would change about her growths is higher Speed (and if you want to compensate, drop her Res).

-Dark Magic seems an odd choice, but I guess she's the most sensible for it if you want to give it to anyone.

-Increasing FoW vision is kind of useless, but if you like the idea, go for it.

-You mentioned that Miracle and Fortune were only for testing, which is a relief, because those aren't very good skills (Miracle might be alright, but Fortune is terrible on her). If you do plan on giving her a new skill, Wrath and Shade are the ones I would go for first. Resolve or Paragon would also be good, but if you give her either of those, I think you'd want to take out the ones that come naturally in part 1. Daunt could also be a thing, if you want her to act as a bit of a support for everyone (buffing it to at least 10 would help).

-Authority stars should come on promotion if possible, not immediately.

Sothe

-Why Resolve? This doesn't help him much.

-Why change him at all? He's already one of the best units in the game. As dondon mentioned, give him a promotion to Assassin instead of Whisper and he's fine.

-Is replacing Shove with something else meant for balance or testing? Because getting rid of Shove is not a pleasant idea.

This seems interesting and I have to echo what has already been said. Miracle/Fortune are pretty bad for Micaiah, she's only gaining some use at max level with it and in Part 1 it's worthless. I'd advise against Authority stars for Micaiah until Tier 2, imagine getting +15avoid for the opening chapters.

The Dawn Brigade would want some improvements like durability changes to Edward/Leo/Aran to make them not a liability shortly past their joining chapters. Nerf Fiona

Comments on things you've mentioned so far:

Micaiah

-Fixing Micaiah's Speed is definitely of importance, so that's good. Personally I would prefer you leave her Luck growth as it is in game and drop her HP and Def back down to keep more of a glass-cannon feel to her; a unit that is powerful offensively but heavily reliant on dodging to survive. A small increase to her HP and Def bases, as dondon mentioned, in order to save her from some early OHKOs would be good, but honestly the only thing I would change about her growths is higher Speed (and if you want to compensate, drop her Res).

-Dark Magic seems an odd choice, but I guess she's the most sensible for it if you want to give it to anyone.

-Increasing FoW vision is kind of useless, but if you like the idea, go for it.

-You mentioned that Miracle and Fortune were only for testing, which is a relief, because those aren't very good skills (Miracle might be alright, but Fortune is terrible on her). If you do plan on giving her a new skill, Wrath and Shade are the ones I would go for first. Resolve or Paragon would also be good, but if you give her either of those, I think you'd want to take out the ones that come naturally in part 1. Daunt could also be a thing, if you want her to act as a bit of a support for everyone (buffing it to at least 10 would help).

-Authority stars should come on promotion if possible, not immediately.

Sothe

-Why Resolve? This doesn't help him much.

-Why change him at all? He's already one of the best units in the game. As dondon mentioned, give him a promotion to Assassin instead of Whisper and he's fine.

-Is replacing Shove with something else meant for balance or testing? Because getting rid of Shove is not a pleasant idea.

Yeah gotta make hear more defense-low, well the Authority stars come with the character(not with the class which is bad for this.) so I am not sure on removing it, maybe putting them at 2? also Authority stars help for making the part 3 chapters of DB more easily, early game could be a little more unbalanced but I am thinking in modifying the growths of early enemies like bandits and their levels it could get a more balanced.

Dark Magic is there just because it is unavailable unless you are using Pelleas, also Dark Magic will be more powerful but less accurate, so is basically expanding Micaiahs choices for late chapters.

FOW just helps for the chapter of Laguz, is not that useful but is just a detail I wanted to put.

Of course Miracle and Fortune were mostly for testing, Aurora is cool, it works like Awakening's Counter, hope it doesn't unbalance the game(don't think so, but with Nosferatu this seems somewhat powerful.)

Wrath would be pretty cool actually, but Shade seems more attractive, I will see what I can do with this.

Authority Stars are kind of a problem early game(Edward was a lot more useful tough.) so it may be good for an overall buff to the DB,gotta see If I can put them after promotion.

Resolve actually is very helpful when Laguz Chapters come, at the first chapters it is not like Sothe needs an extra skill, but since Resolve only works when having ''low'' HP which will usually be against Laguz it becomes more useful(more evasion, Criticals and Lethality chances),also you could just remove it to give it to another character like Edward early on, or to Micaiah if it comes with Wrath.

Well actually it is what I am doing, so we agreed on this one.

Shove skill is actually the one I am most unsure on how to threat it, it adds strategy to the game, at first I was testing if changed it into another skill made it locked, or the skill is the actual locked one(I changed with Adept the first time, and for Critical+ the second one, it seems some skills are locked by default.),what is your opinon about Shove, should I put it into fewer unites to make it more unique,reduce his Capacity,I think is a neat skill and I think it would be good messing with it a little.

This seems interesting and I have to echo what has already been said. Miracle/Fortune are pretty bad for Micaiah, she's only gaining some use at max level with it and in Part 1 it's worthless. I'd advise against Authority stars for Micaiah until Tier 2, imagine getting +15avoid for the opening chapters.

The Dawn Brigade would want some improvements like durability changes to Edward/Leo/Aran to make them not a liability shortly past their joining chapters. Nerf Fiona

I was thinking in that Authority stars can help to buff the Dawn Brigade, if I make the enemies with a little better skill growth for the first part this could solve the problem and Authority Stars would be pretty useful on Laguz chapters for them.

I was thinking on making Leo's Lughsnasgahgsha(or whatever his bow is called) have better stats additions, along with a +2 to some base stats,maybe giving him Adept instead of Cancel.

Since now I have fully tested almost everything Iw ant to change I will began in writing what I am thinking in changing completely,after that it will be more easy for other people to point out their different ideas based on that.

And thanks for the comments,If I can make an enjoyable mod it will be worth the effort.

Buff Fiona's, Meg's, Astrid's, Leo's, Eddie's and Micaiah's bases noticeably, maybe buff Aran's bases a little bit as well [or give him HM enemy bonuses just for kicks]. Increasing the level of enemy units in Part 1 might be a good idea because it buffs the amount of exp a unit gets for fighting them. Might help getting some of them to reach tier 2 / become competent in Part 3 and not completely unusable in Part 4.

Maybe add a Barrier Staff in Part 1 and increase Laura's bases + level so she can staffbot her way to viability via a Master Seal.

If there's a way to make the Florete function with magic instead of strength, that would help Mist a ton.

I think giving Micaiah Dark tomes has about as much usefulness as giving Ike axes. I guess Balberith is a pretty good tome to bless as an alternative to Rexaura, but still.

Edited by Radiant head

Are you going to change some characters' availability? Because some people (Lucia, Tormod's group, etc) could really benefit from getting some extra chapters.

Some suggestions:

-Give some characters extra chapters to play in, as I mentioned. Lucia and Elincia could join along with the CRKs (actually, maybe you could change the CRKs and Lucia so they are playable during 3-10, so they have a chance to get some extra EXP), Tormod's group could join on 3-1 or 3-2, Ena could join on 4-1, Jill and Fiona could be made available during 1-8, Pelleas could join on 3-13 if he doesn't die, stuff like that.

-Buff magic. Most Tomes really need some extra MT, and some more uses wouldn't be too bad either (it's mostly the Siege Tomes and SS magic that need the extra uses).

-Make the NG+ bonuses available in a normal NG (most people that will play this likely will have already played the original version once, anyway).

-Maybe give some weapons extra uses as well (like making ranged swords/axes/lances have 25 or 30 uses).

-Add more enemies with higher levels to part 1 (including some T2s starting around 1-6), so there's more EXP to go around. Maybe promote a good deal of part 2's T1 enemies as well.

-Make Sothe, Volug, Tauroneo, Tormod, Muarim, Vika, Nailah and Rafiel not forced in the chapters where they're forced.

-Change Shove and Canto's cost to 0.

By the way, how did you get Nightmare to load the game? I couldn't get it to load it.

Good luck with this project.

By the way, how did you get Nightmare to load the game? I couldn't get it to load it.

Use wiiscrubber to extract fe10data cms from the ISO. From there use Nintenlords compressor, select LZ77 compression from the dropdown menu select decompress fe10data.cms and then load the uncompressed fe10cms file in nightmare

Buff Fiona's, Meg's, Astrid's, Leo's, Eddie's and Micaiah's bases noticeably, maybe buff Aran's bases a little bit as well [or give him HM enemy bonuses just for kicks]. Increasing the level of enemy units in Part 1 might be a good idea because it buffs the amount of exp a unit gets for fighting them. Might help getting some of them to reach tier 2 / become competent in Part 3 and not completely unusable in Part 4.

Maybe add a Barrier Staff in Part 1 and increase Laura's bases + level so she can staffbot her way to viability via a Master Seal.

I was thinking something like that also, it is good that more people support the idea :)

If there's a way to make the Florete function with magic instead of strength, that would help Mist a ton.

I think giving Micaiah Dark tomes has about as much usefulness as giving Ike axes. I guess Balberith is a pretty good tome to bless as an alternative to Rexaura, but still.

That is the holy grail of FE10 modding, to be honest is something that seems very difficult to do atm, I will try to find a way after I finish the general idea and changes of the mod.

Don't worry, Dark magic offers another unit to be able to use Rexaura,Dark magic tomes will be modified to be more powerful but less accurate,also the fact that Ike can use Axes lets you beat Black Knight like if it was Pugo(the first boss), I think people will be pleased after I put some items modded stats or after they try it :)

Are you going to change some characters' availability? Because some people (Lucia, Tormod's group, etc) could really benefit from getting some extra chapters.

Some suggestions:

-Give some characters extra chapters to play in, as I mentioned. Lucia and Elincia could join along with the CRKs (actually, maybe you could change the CRKs and Lucia so they are playable during 3-10, so they have a chance to get some extra EXP), Tormod's group could join on 3-1 or 3-2, Ena could join on 4-1, Jill and Fiona could be made available during 1-8, Pelleas could join on 3-13 if he doesn't die, stuff like that.

-Buff magic. Most Tomes really need some extra MT, and some more uses wouldn't be too bad either (it's mostly the Siege Tomes and SS magic that need the extra uses).

-Make the NG+ bonuses available in a normal NG (most people that will play this likely will have already played the original version once, anyway).

-Maybe give some weapons extra uses as well (like making ranged swords/axes/lances have 25 or 30 uses).

-Add more enemies with higher levels to part 1 (including some T2s starting around 1-6), so there's more EXP to go around. Maybe promote a good deal of part 2's T1 enemies as well.

-Make Sothe, Volug, Tauroneo, Tormod, Muarim, Vika, Nailah and Rafiel not forced in the chapters where they're forced.

-Change Shove and Canto's cost to 0.

Good luck with this project.

Avaibility is something I still need to explore more, I am unsure how to do it properly so it will take quite a while.

Tomes and Items will have a buff in some way don't worry, and also some will ahve less/more uses :)

Higher levels for the first part will be good, I can implement Authority Stars alongside raising the level of enemies, so the Part 1 will feel more or less the same but the future parts DB units will be more useful.

I am inclined to put Shove to 0 but not sure about Canto, that way non-mounted units have an advatnage of 10 capacity which is an extra Vantage or another skill.

Not sure about changing forced units, it seems to be better for the story, could be helpful for some chapters tough.

Yes, good luck! I'd like to replay the game with some remixed stats and other things, and your mod can help out with that :)

Thanks,It will take quite some time to finish it, especially since I will be in an intership program which will take a little bit more of my time, but don't worry, I will stick with this project to the end :)

Use wiiscrubber to extract fe10data cms from the ISO. From there use Nintenlords compressor, select LZ77 compression from the dropdown menu select decompress fe10data.cms and then load the uncompressed fe10cms file in nightmare

To be honest, some people will believe I am craxy for doing it, but I am using WiiTools to decompress it all , load FE10Data with nightmare to uncompress,modify it, compress it again with Nightmare, change it with the file of the uncompressed ISO, and then I rebuild it all.

WiiScrubber actually doesn't work for me, I have tested all, the 1.2 seemed to be the one with less errors, but lately when I changed the FE10Date for a modified one it could not load the game(since it makes the file to be much smaller when I put it with WiiScrubber).

For testing this took a bit more time, but as long as it works I am happy with it.

That is the holy grail of FE10 modding, to be honest is something that seems very difficult to do atm, I will try to find a way after I finish the general idea and changes of the mod.

If it proves difficult, I guess Mist could alternatively be given the ability to use tomes (not sure which one, Light is obvious but kind of redundant).

But yeah, like everyone else has said, good luck on this.