Resetless Lunatic+ Run COMPLETED (Deathless) (With Complete Guide)

EDIT: Links to the various runs for easy finding:

*NOTE: 260 Compatable means the run was done with the 270-starting-Renown route, but would be hardly affected if played with the 260-starting-Renown rule.

Robin Hall of Fame:

• Yololi (Not the Heroine You Think She Is; first success with deaths): Build 2, Face 3, Hair 1,  Hair Color 18, Voice 3, Birthday Jan 1
  • Dusky (The Sly; second success with deaths, first deathless): Build 1, Face 4, Hair 3,  Hair Color 3, Voice 1, Birthday Jun 29
  • Goombella (Too Strong For Early Wins): Build 1, Face 1, Hair 4,  Hair Color 20, Voice 1, Birthday Jan 1
  • Robin (Vanilla Victory): All Options Default
  • 3 (Third Time's the Charmer of Luck): Everything is 3. Even the name.
  • Grapejuice (RNG Defier): Build 3, Face 3, Hair 5,  Hair Color 8, Voice 1, Birthday Jan 1
  • Susan (Mother Knows Best): Build 1, Face 1, Hair 2,  Hair Color 2, Voice 1, Birthday Jul 22
  • Cat (Taking After Mother): Build 1, Face 4, Hair 4, Hair Colour 17, Voice 2, Birthday Mar 26
  • Ishtar (Disciple of Yololi): Build 3, Face 1, Hair 4,  Hair Color 9, Voice 1, Birthday Jan 1
  • Hourai (Mistress of the RNGHouse): Build 2, Face 2, Hair 2,  Hair Color 17, Voice 1, Birthday Jan 1
  • Erika (Not Robin!): Build 1, Face 3, Hair 5,  Hair Color 13, Voice 1, Birthday Jan 1

---

So a while back, I wanted to see if I could put together a resetless Lunatic+ run. I'm currently in the planning stages, and I think it's already bearing fruit with regards to the Prologue. More on that later, though. First, I'm going to define the ruleset that I'm probably going to use (I'm open to arguments for things to change, though).

-No grinding (technically a subset of DLC on this difficulty)

-No DLC

-No Logbook

-Because this run is going for consistency, no Anna shops, no barracks, and, whenever possible, avoiding sparkly tiles (I'm not going to avoid moving onto them if it's the optimal tactical choice; any items that end up in my inventory as a result of this will be discarded)

-270260 starting Renown that increases by 10 for each battle won

-No Bonus Box

-No Spotpass shops

-No resetting. Initially, that was defined as a run that never reloads from a save (just treating any save as a suspend so that the game could be played over multiple days). However, I felt that wasn't quite in the spirit of the run. So in addition, this also means no exiting the chapter location and returning to reroll enemy skills.

I'm going to try to keep people alive when the situation reasonably allows it. However, given the nature of the run, I am ready to throw any and everyone under the bus to make sure F!Robin and Chrom get through the game in its entirety. I've found strats with enough reliability that it's quite possible to save everyone.

I'm going to be running +Def/-Luk +Spd/-Skl F!Robin and chiefly doing a Robin/Chrom duo through most of the game (I've given some thought to Morgan and Lucina, but I dunno if it'll be worth it, really). Currently considering whether I should go with my usual class route (Tact 20 -> Dark Mage 10+ -> Sorc 10+ -> Dark Flier 15 -> Hero 15 -> Dark Knight) or a bow-centric finish (Tact 20 -> Dark Mage 10+ -> Sorc 10+ -> Dark Flier 15 -> Assassin 15 -> Sniper).

Anyway, on to the goodies: since I've been spending a lot of time with Prologue and making myself notes, I've essentially compiled a mini-guide for a strategy that can succeed, regardless of Asset/Flaw build and almost regardless of Lunatic+ skill randomization.

*Preface and Prerequisites*

As much as I tried to develop the strategy so that it can be done regardless of Lunatic+ skills, it can’t completely mitigate them. I also maximized hit rates and while they’re high, they’re also often non-100. There’s two blows on a Barbarian that are critical to the strategy.

Anyway, the main issue is that Fred needs to be able to survive one hit each from the Myrm, Barb and Mage on the right (well, technically they could miss or Fred could get Dual Guarded, but I wouldn’t bet on that). Fred has 28 HP and will take the following levels of damage:

-Myrm with Vantage+ and Luna+ (VL-Myrm) will do 6.

-Myrm with any other skillset will do 0 because either his attack is too weak or he’s dead.

-Barb with Luna+ (L-Barb) will do 13.

-Barb with anything other than Luna+ will do 6.

-Mage with Vantage+ will do 11.

-Mage with Vantage+ and Luna+ will do 13.

-Mage with Vantage+ and Mag+2 will do 13.

-Mage with Vantage+, Mag+2 and Luna+ (VLM-Mage) will do 15.

-Mage without Vantage+ will do 0 because he’s too dead to attack.

What this comes down to is the enemy requiring very specific skill combinations to kill Fred, so it’s a pretty low chance (but we all know how that can go). Even with VLM-Mage and a VL-Myrm on their team, Fred can survive with 1 HP. The biggest issue is L-Barb, who more than doubles his damage. He and VLM-Mage will kill Fred exactly. VL-Myrm in tandem with L-Barb will also cause any Vantage+ Mage to kill Fred. If either of these enemy setups are present, it may be better to old strat where Fred solo kills the left Myrm and weakens the two Barbs (however, odds will still be poor because of the presence of L-Barb and a Vantage+ Mage).

Crits are also a possibility, thanks to the nature of Gamble and Elthunder’s bonus. Technically, all four characters working together can negate 15 or more crit, but the team doesn’t have the luxury of quadruple-teaming every enemy that has high crit. That’s why this guide will try to minimize the amount of attacks the enemy gets, in general.

Note that this guide was made with +Def/-Luk, but any build should be able to do it. Hit rates may change a bit if Skl or Luk are chosen as an Asset/Flaw.

Turn 1

-Move Robin all the way right and attack the Myrm. It doesn’t matter if this hits, but it’s free WEXP and possibly EXP (Credit to Czar_Yoshi for this).

-Unequip Chrom.

-Pair Fred to Chrom, move Chrom below the lowest Myrm, swap and kill with Fred (100 hit; 99 if the enemy has Avoid+10).

-There is a gap near the start 3 tiles below the bottom-left market stand that all enemies can’t reach. Put Lissa there.

-Enemy phase: Barb attacks Fred. Fred can counter for 24 (86 hit). If this misses, the run is in trouble. Mage will move south. Second Myrm will move into attack range while the Barb will move within range of Lissa.

Spoiler

7F5eVar.png

Turn 2

-Move Lissa all the way right and pair onto Robin.

-Move Robin right of Fred and transfer for Chrom. Switch, equip Chrom with the Rapier, then switch back to Robin. Attack the Barb with Thunder for the kill (84 hit, 33% Dual Strike). If this misses, hopefully Chrom dual strikes. If not, the run is in trouble.

-Move Fred north of Robin. Trade away Chrom’s swords (Credit to Czar_Yoshi for this). Attack the Mage for the kill (100 hit).

-Enemy phase: Myrm attacks Robin for 9 (vs 8 Def; 90 hit). Barb gets closer.

Spoiler

Rf9YJV3.png

ODB3iAT.png

Turn 3

-Move Robin right into the water and swap to Chrom. Unequip him—both of them together do enough damage to kill the Myrm, so a dual strike would give the Barb an opening to pummel Chrom’s (very likely) wounded face.

-Move Fred across the east bridge so that he’s on the corner between both bridges.

-Enemy phase: Myrm attacks Chrom. Barb moves west of Myrm. Note that the Barb will often do this even if Fred would be in attack range from the Myrm’s north side—that Barb really hates Chrom. Sometimes the Barb will actually cooperate and go north of the Myrm, though. If that’s the case, you can skip the entire Dealing With the Barb section, as it’s easy enough to manipulate him back onto the upper bridge by having Chrom move to the left shore for a turn.

Spoiler

f8JJZ7e.png

tXaEirx.png

Turn 4

-Move Chrom east. Drop Robin north of him.

-Move Fred to the right of Chrom. Transfer Lissa to Chrom.

-Enemy phase: Myrm moves onto bridge with Barb right behind him.

Spoiler

aVVDqNC.png

06h5YRk.png

Turn 5

-Transfer Lissa from Chrom to Robin.

-Trade Chrom back his swords. Unequip Fred, then pair him onto Chrom.

-Move Robin north.

-Enemy phase: Myrm and Barb both move onto the second bridge.

Spoiler

IdWgh7K.png

XSfyMAc.png

Turn 6

-Move Chrom north. Transfer Fred to Robin for lower Mag; this allows the Myrm (and Barb) to be milked for an extra hit each (thanks to Czar_Yoshi for pointing that out). Both enemies can no longer target anything, so they’ll stay put.

-The Myrm will be in range of Robin. Blast him until he’s dead.

Spoiler

sFheZ0e.png

Ez9h2MN.png

Dealing With the Barb Turn 1

-Once the Myrm is dead, dealing with the Barb can still be a bit scary if he has Luna+ and/or Gamble. This guide will assume he has both (as well as the Myrm having Luna+ and hitting Chrom for 11 and Fred being down to 1) and work to minimize risk.

-Transfer Fred back to Chrom

DWB Turn 2

-Move Chrom left and drop Fred

Spoiler

5kkTyXW.png

DWB Turn 3

-Move Chrom right

-Move Fred 7 tiles left

DWB Turn 4

-Move Fred 2 tiles left

DWB Turn 5

-Move Fred 7 tiles right

DWB Turn 6

-Move Fred 2 tiles right, 3 tiles up, then 2 tiles right

-Move Chrom right

Spoiler

iz7XHSr.png

DWB Turn 7

-Pair Fred onto Chrom

-Move Chrom left

-Have Robin snipe the Barb

Spoiler

xqvImyb.png

The Rest of the Map

-More water will be used to fight the second wave. A lot of people will be familiar with this trick because Interceptor discovered it some time ago. However, I have made a few tweaks that economize Vulneraries. Give Robin all of them anyway, just in case she gets into trouble.

-Enter the right side of the moat. The formation of this is important because it gives Chrom/Fred a safe spot away from the Mage. Position them one up, three right and two down from the rightmost Myrm. Position Robin/Lissa one up, two right from Chrom.

Spoiler

FMrwrOF.png

6mEUJlB.png

01Ucxtm.png

WHBBFFv.png

hIbPuQ9.png

32qztWT.png

0sOnYsR.png

MVdeB3L.png

-Note that the reason Robin can get away with toggling up and down to drop Lissa (and do so indefinitely, I might add) is that Chrom buys an extra turn by not swapping until the Mage has him within attack range. The Mage will generally prefer to go after him because he’s closer, except when the cycle brings Robin closer. This means that for every cycle, Lissa will do two heals (20 HP total) and Robin will face as much as 17 damage (if the Mage has both Mag+2 and Luna+). Therefore, no Vulneraries need be used to fight even the toughest variation of the Mage.

-Because of the way the rope-a-dope arranges the enemies, the Myrms will likely be positioned such that they can’t be lured into targeting ranged without taking damage. So Chrom will probably have to put himself in harm’s way. Chrom is preferred over Fred, since he can lure while still being in the water and move immediately out of range the next turn. Just don’t have anything equipped, because the last thing he needs is a crit or dual strike to let both Myrms attack him (he’ll die from the combined damage if both have Luna+). Transfer Fred to Robin for attacking the melee (make sure to give Fred back to Chrom for any turn he uses to lure the Myrms in), as this can once again result in getting extra hits for a bit more EXP.

Spoiler

3rkeuzJ.png

-For the boss, pair Chrom (un-equipped to maximize EXP, as he and Robin should have fought near each other or paired enough to cap out support points for the map) to Robin and sit with Thunder at 2 range with Fred and Lissa both adjacent. Heal as necessary, moving Robin out of range for extra heals if needed (usually against Luna+). Don’t worry, the boss is nice and patient enough to sit around and wait.

Spoiler

cBEa3Bl.png

-Overall, this should consistently get Robin enough EXP to hit level 7 plus some change, as well as attain the max amount of Chrom (plus both Fred and Lissa) support points, all with as low risk and little regard for Lunatic+ skills as possible.

---

EDIT: Now with indexing to make finding each subsequent chapter easier. Note: If you are having issues with the forum guide, I've started putting together a mirror, which is currently copied up to C8.

Edited by Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-No resetting. Initially, that was defined as a run that never reloads from a save (just treating any save as a suspend so that the game could be played over multiple days). However, I felt that wasn't quite in the spirit of the run. So in addition, this also means no exiting the chapter location and returning to reroll enemy skills.

Excuse me, but can I bow at your feet and just worship you?

You have calculated courage. And masochism. Don't forget masochism.

Following.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Excuse me, but can I bow at your feet and just worship you?

You have calculated courage. And masochism. Don't forget masochism.

Following.

Heh, I appreciate the sentiment (and have always known I'm a masochist), but I'm still just in the routing stages (which I plan to do at least partially on stream once my current more standard run is done). I won't consider this truly started until I'm on stream, failingtrying to execute it in real time. >.>

Chapter 2...You sure about this?

He's going to allow units to die so honestly Chapter 2 probably can't be that bad.

Still... good luck.

Yeah, this is a bit of a baby steps thing. Ideally, I'll find strategies to recuit everyone and keep them from dying. There's no guarantee that there will be anything reliable enough, though. I'll have to go over and route each chapter first before I decide whether to go for that or not, as there's a decent laundry list of problem chapters for that, the first of which is for chapter 2. Interceptor's strat is pretty solid, but there's still a luck factor where if the Robin/Chrom gambit fails, not only is Stahl quite likely to die, but I'm not entirely sure if Lissa can position to help Miriel reach the left side Soldier without putting herself in danger of being OHKOed by that same Barbarian. I'll have to have a look at it and see if I can tweak it. Alternatively, if I find a really solid strat that I like that safely clears the enemies while still feeding Robin the majority of the EXP (Robin or Chrom paired to Fred can end in Fred actually steamrolling many of the enemies, which is really bad in the long run), then I may just eat the luck factor because it's honestly quite reasonably low luck factor and it would be fast to get back to chapter 2.

Chapter 3 is one where I have my own strat that works pretty consistently on the first turn, but is also slower in dispatching the lower-left than Interceptor's, which can put me in trouble. I'll have to see if I can find a happy medium between the two.

Chapter 4 has one potential issue that may end in someone needing to take a bullet for Robin: Marth with Counter.

Chapter 5 is... well, Maribelle and Ricken trying their hardest to suicide, quite honestly. My current idea is to have Fred and Robin and nothing else but other cavalry push north hard, then divert west, running circles around the central cliff area. The Wyvs and fort reinforcements can possibly throw a huge wrench into that, though.

Chapter 6 will involve Fred standing in front of the door, drawing fire, face-tanking unequipped if there's a high density of Counter (which runs a high risk of him being overwhelmed unless I have Elixir uses left, or possibly getting the Paralogue 2 Physic so as to combine that with Vulneraries). Because Marth is a moron and won't heal unless under around half and deals so much damage that self-explosion is almost inevitable. And if Marth goes down, those Thieves possibly stop having an attack target, which means they open the door and it's game over from there.

Chapter 9 is a possible huge issue too, unless I can get Lissa to a pretty high Mag level for turn 2 (maybe 3) Libra Rescue-age, since the Soldier by him can solo him if it spawns with Counter.

Is this a classic run?

Good luck. I'm going to enjoy watching you suffer.

Yes, I'm always on Classic when doing a proper run. I'll probably use a Casual save for routing so as to make it easier to figure out how to manipulate enemy movements from position X. Also, you can watch me suffer directly, as I'll be streaming the full run once I get to it.

If you happen to get janked by, like, a luna+ gamble crit (or something) on a vital character (or chrom/robin), does that count as a reset?

If Chrom or Robin get crit-gibbed, then run over, and I have to restart the entire game. This goes for if Emm gets her face eaten too.

Impressive to say the least! I'm curious though, why choose -Luck over -Skill? I went with -Luck as well in my current (vanilla) Lunatic run and my Robin had already eaten a non-insignificant amount of crits by Chapter 3.

Impressive to say the least! I'm curious though, why choose -Luck over -Skill? I went with -Luck as well in my current (vanilla) Lunatic run and my Robin had already eaten a non-insignificant amount of crits by Chapter 3.

The more I look at the numbers, the more I'm considering it, actually. My main worry was that it affects me Def growth, which is something I want to get as much of as possible, but by averages, it shouldn't affect the stats too much (even if it ends up being more than what the site currently lists, since I've been told it's not necessarily accurate) until higher levels where I'll have a better foothold in the game. The Luk advantage will have pretty much entirely vanished by then thanks to support Dodge bonus, but I'm starting to think I'd rather have an early advantage, even if it vanishes. It still won't completely protect me from the likes of Gamble, Zeal, or Elthunder (need support level 4 to reliably shut it down early game), but at least it'll cut those chances down too. I also had a concern about the -1 Def modifier, but I checked ahead to Grima and it's still enough for either class path to survive eating double Ignis to the face (exactly enough, in the case of the Sniper). Losing 3% Sol or 6% Vengeance proc chances might hurt a bit in the mid-late game where enemies start getting more threatening again, but so long as I have Galeforce, I should be able to make up for that with kiting.

So yeah, my mind might be changed on this.

I won't consider this truly started until I'm on stream, failingtrying to execute it in real time. >.>

Do you mind if I download your stream and upload it to my channel for archiving purposes?

Usually, the streaming sites delete them after two weeks (at least was my experience).

Now, I wonder if, with enough resetting, it would be possible to reach the Outrealm Gate in L+ without saving...

I kiiind of want to attempt this now. >.>

So I'm wondering... how much of that curiosity if it's possible is required for you to give in to that masochistic tendency of yours?

Well, I think I'm going to give it a try once I get a free file (even though I won't be saving, I want to run through the route a few times with saves first to get a good feel for it).

Probably not much, such as someone else deciding to suffer through it with me. Oh, wait...

Time to start planning. \o/

The both of you are out of your goddamn minds.

Looks like this could become more than a reality.

I'm not sure how much time I can commit to this, but am still on board if you need competition.

Anyway, it looks like during your alternate Water Trick strat, Chrom is able to move behind Avatar to provide +10 Avo against the Mage, which is always a useful thing to do. However, here's another theory to test: if you could use Chrom in such a way that he could pull the enemies in the same direction as the Mage without getting ganged up on, you could have them in place to cancel Focus at the cost of using Vulneraries.

If you think you can squeeze it in, I'd love to see more people working on this.

As for those adjustments, there's actually a reason I don't position Chrom behind Robin. It would start the melee moving toward him, which would desync the movements of the Mage and melee. This would prevent Lissa from being able to drop-heal-reboard because the melee would be one turn closer. Additionally, look at the last screenshot of that series I have up there where Robin is forced to take the one engagement against the Mage. Both Chrom and Robin are out of melee range, so the melee will stay put, so not one, but two Barbs will be messing up Focus for the Mage.

I'm glancing through your stream and there's a little trick with the Water Trick you might not be using: when you need to pull anything, just have Chrom with full HP and a Fred support stand one tile offshore for a turn. He'll fight with someone and live, and everything will swarm around where he is and you can still pull him back next turn and blast away. Alternately, if you do get stuck with Fred on land, keep in mind that you can drop Chrom onto the water (he'll be safe in Fred's shadow), pair onto him next turn and then move him into the middle to get out of a fix.

Also, if you need to move the Elixir in Cht.1 just one extra space for a trade, try dropping the unit holding it to get them far enough for Robin to reach and trade for it on her turn.

Another thing in Cht.1: if you ever get in a situation where your HP is completely stable (on a Fort and taking as much or less damage than you're recovering per turn), stay there. Breaking weapons where possible is both very safe and in this case allows you to pair up with Chrom to take the Boss/Archer down. Otherwise you run a high risk of not hitting C for Cht.2- Avatar-M needs all of Pro and either one round of combat or an Event Tile, and Avatar-F needs all of Pro and two rounds of combat or both Event Tiles (or one of each).

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

I'm glancing through your stream and there's a little trick with the Water Trick you might not be using: when you need to pull anything, just have Chrom with full HP and a Fred support stand one tile offshore for a turn. He'll fight with someone and live, and everything will swarm around where he is and you can still pull him back next turn and blast away. Alternately, if you do get stuck with Fred on land, keep in mind that you can drop Chrom onto the water (he'll be safe in Fred's shadow), pair onto him next turn and then move him into the middle to get out of a fix.

Another thing in Cht.1: if you ever get in a situation where your HP is completely stable (on a Fort and taking as much or less damage than you're recovering per turn), stay there. Breaking weapons where possible is both very safe and in this case allows you to pair up with Chrom to take the Boss/Archer down. Otherwise you run a high risk of not hitting C for Cht.2- Avatar-M needs all of Pro and either one round of combat or an Event Tile, and Avatar-F needs all of Pro and two rounds of combat or both Event Tiles (or one of each).

Yeah, the start of this last run is actually fairly unoptimized, especially with regards to the water trick. I've pretty much started doing as you said since I started fiddling with this new strat.

Hmmm, are you sure it's two? Given the positioning of the current strat, getting all 27 points for Prologue is guaranteed (I think the fight with the boss alone is worth over half the capped value). Two rounds in chapter 1 would be 12 points, which, according to the guide here, gets rounded down to 9, making it no different than getting 6 and having it round up to 9. Is a dual strike required? Because then that'd hit 14, which rounds up to 18.

Ah, okay. That makes things a lot more precise, thanks (and thanks to Tables for finding all that out). Prologue should be no issues at all for capping out and with the way things are going with my chapter 1 kiting strat (still less than halfway satisfied with it thus far, though I had a possible epiphany at work, so I'll have to see if that comes to fruition tonight), they shouldn't have any issues getting three fights in.

In the meantime, I've tweaked my Prologue strat a little bit (and updated the guide accordingly). Speaking of which, thanks, Czar_Yoshi, for pointing out that swapping Lissa for Fred as a support causes Thunder to do lower damage to Myrms and Barbs, allowing for potential extra hits (until Robin starts picking up extra Mag, anyway). Here's a quick list of changes:

-On turn 2, Fred no longer trades the Bronze Sword to the top of Robin's inventory. This allows a weaker hit on the Myrm, should it land. Either way, it's worth WEXP and brings Robin closer to Tomes C (needed for later).

-On turn 5, Fred unequips his lance before pairing onto Chrom.

-On turn 6, Fred is transferred to Robin before she starts attacking.

-Modified the DWB section to account for passing Fred back to Chrom so Fred can repositiion the Barb, then having Fred passed back for Robin's attacks.

-Added a bit about the water trick for for passing Fred back and forth to both weaken Robin's attack against the melee enemies and allow Chrom to tank the Myrms better. Note that Robin still wants Lissa against the Mage, both because of the Res and to sustain the healing loop.

Okay, so I'm still toying around with chapter 1 strats (I think I've got some pretty solid stuff now, might even have it mostly worked out before my routing stream starts tonight) and either I'm reading the new support guide wrong or Virion and Fred's support speed is incorrect. My current strat has them get into three battles, while a fourth is pretty easy to hit. That's 12 BP, which should be 3 SP, right? The table has them listed for 4 SP to C support, but I'm looking at the menu for one of the attempts that made it to chapter 2 and their C support is definitely available. That extra Def point is actually big enough to make me reconsider some opening chapter 2 strats I'd dismissed up until now (it puts Fred out of range of being 2HKO at base by Soldiers when on Plains). >.>