Promoted classes should have unique animations

kwon

That being said I think that Awakening proved to us that the 3d animations can look good. (You can tell I miss the GBA animations) But the current engines animations could certainly use some improvement.

For example, I thought vaike was a fun character, but his animations SUCKED. I was hoping that If he became a warrior/berserker that his look and movement would change, but fighter/warrior, cavalier/paladin/great knight etc. They all share THE SAME ANIMATIONS. It didn't break the game for me, but this was kind of frustrating as my characters hardly looked any different when I promoted them. I hope that at least the promoted classes get unique animations in the next game. Unfortunately, from what I saw in the trailer, the paladin looking guy seemed to move exactly like a regular cavalier.

The main reason I brought this up is largely because I'm suprised at how little this is bothering everyone. That or I missed the conversation entirely.

3D animation takes a lot of time and money, unless you set up specific systems. It also takes up a lot of memory, something a 3ds cartridge would be lacking.

Maybe it COULD fit if it's New 3DS exclusive... And it won't be sold out literally everywhere by the time If is out

RD was proof that 3D animations didn't need to suck it might have been somewhat rigid but at least it had more personality than awakenings lame animations

This, basically.

Tbh I wish we were back in GBA days in terms of graphics but that won't happen.

This, basically.

Tbh I wish we were back in GBA days in terms of graphics but that won't happen.

It's weird, right? Sprites have so much flair compared to the 3D models. This is especially noticeable for spell effects.

3D animation takes a lot of time and money, unless you set up specific systems. It also takes up a lot of memory, something a 3ds cartridge would be lacking.

There are 8gb carts available to developers... right now the absolutely largest games are like 3.2-3.3 gb. I'd say they have plenty of room.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that EVERY promoted class needs unique animations, but I think at the very least that if a promoted class has an activation skill, then the class that learns it has a unique animation for said skill i.e. Swordmaster with unique Astra animation.

Edited by Shadow Stalker X

I wouldn't necessarily agree that EVERY promoted class needs unique animations, but I think at the very least that if a promoted class has an activation skill, then the class that learns it has a unique animation for said skill i.e. Swordmaster with unique Astra animation.

This. So much.

Seeing the master skills activating in Radiant Dawn was way more exciting because everyone had a unique animation. It's almost enough reason for me to want the game to go back to a SS like promotion system with no reclassing.

It also takes up a lot of memory, something a 3ds cartridge would be lacking.

Actually, 3DS cartridge space isn't something you should be saying in regards to that.

Awakening had enough free space to include Japanese voice acting for every character.

Tales of the Abyss 3DS had the entire PS2 voice acting fit in it.

Space is not an issue.

Everything else you said though, is spot on.

I don't think space is as much an issue as time and money are. I mean they're already pushing to get this game out by what late summer in Japan? It'd likely cause delays if they had to go back and put in unique animations(of course if they planned them early on then this is a mute point). Now by having it on the 3DS instead of a console they do save development costs that way and given the recent success and push the series is getting it wouldn't suprise me if they've got quite the budget for this game. So then the bigger question becomes do they want to risk losing time and money to potential sales they could of had if they released the game earlier. I would venture to say no they would not.

At the very least, they could improve some of the crit animations. Swordmasters and assassins especially need something flashier.

On a side note, I used to get excited whenever i saw a Hero class proc a skill while equipping a sword, since they stand in pretty much the same stance Ike used to when he procs Aether (which hurts me the most, seeing it so bland now).

I'd have to say I really didn't like the PoR/RD animations very much, they were extremely stiff. Still, it's not like these things are game breaking for me, but It would be nice to see that extra bit of flare in my characters moves. I don't want to give people the impression that I'm not excited for this game, because I'm SUPER excited for this game.

The GBA critical animations were SO COOL! All of the splitting into five people and jumping around like freaking ninjas and tossing weapons around... Ah, I miss it. They could've AT LEAST had some fun with the crits in Awakening. I mean, who can't visualize Henry doing his happy dance and yelling "I'm gonna kill you!" before he casts his spell? I wish the critical animations (and skills too) were at least closer to GBA levels than they are. Here's hoping that IF will be better in that regard.

I remember that a few class trees in RD had a few different animations between the 1st tier class and the 2nd tier class. (Myrmidons-Sword Masters, Fighters-Warriors, etc.) So it wouldn't be too much to ask for. That being said, I doubt we'll be seeing that in FE14.

At the very least, they could improve some of the crit animations. Swordmasters and assassins especially need something flashier.

On a side note, I used to get excited whenever i saw a Hero class proc a skill while equipping a sword, since they stand in pretty much the same stance Ike used to when he procs Aether (which hurts me the most, seeing it so bland now).

I later found out that it's the same animation that mercenaries/heroes use when they proc crits in the Marth games. Though it's definitely not the same in 2D animation.

Edited by Radiant head

If there was a problem with Awakening's animations that I didn't like other than the fact that everyone used the same animation, it's how slow and impractical many of them were. I either have to tap the fast-forward button or turn off animations altogether, which even then is still slow for me. I personally enjoy leaving FE9/10's animations on for the entire duration of a playthrough rather than sit through the same ol' "Run forward with the same stance, strike, back hop, then wait for your opponent to do the same" in Awakening.

Oh, and did I mention Chrom jumping a whole mile from one end of the field to the other?

• 2 weeks later...

If there was a problem with Awakening's animations that I didn't like other than the fact that everyone used the same animation, it's how slow and impractical many of them were. I either have to tap the fast-forward button or turn off animations altogether, which even then is still slow for me. I personally enjoy leaving FE9/10's animations on for the entire duration of a playthrough rather than sit through the same ol' "Run forward with the same stance, strike, back hop, then wait for your opponent to do the same" in Awakening.

Oh, and did I mention Chrom jumping a whole mile from one end of the field to the other?

that is also a good point awakening had lame dodge animations too though I will admit that seeing a knight in 300 LBS. armor jump as though they're on the moon is amusing

While it would be really cool, I doubt we'll be seeing different animations between classes. That being said, I'd really love to see at least SOME difference when they use skills. Especially Aether. Aether in Awakening was one of the most disappointing things I saw in that game, especially because of how cool I remembered it to be in PoR. I'm not expecting it to be at the same level, but I'd like them to do something at least a little different. And those GBA crits were just awesome and I'd love it if there was something that came a little close to that in fe14.

-drools over the memory of Mia proccing Astra and getting that epic sword swing/point thing-

What I think could be done is that each character gets their own unique animation with their "signature" weapon. Like if Vaike had a certain way he'd swing his axe, or if Cordelia had a precise motion she'd stab with her spear but Sumia/Cynthia were shaky or even would drop their weapons. There was so much implied character in each person's fighting style, but no attack animation to prove for it.

-imagine's Olivia's crit looking like Tales of the Abyss's Luke's first kill AKA stabbing someone while looking away frightened-

-drools over the memory of Mia proccing Astra and getting that epic sword swing/point thing-

What I think could be done is that each character gets their own unique animation with their "signature" weapon. Like if Vaike had a certain way he'd swing his axe, or if Cordelia had a precise motion she'd stab with her spear but Sumia/Cynthia were shaky or even would drop their weapons. There was so much implied character in each person's fighting style, but no attack animation to prove for it.

-imagine's Olivia's crit looking like Tales of the Abyss's Luke's first kill AKA stabbing someone while looking away frightened-

Sacred stones had a little bit of this with the trainee classes. Like Amelia's critical hit made it appear she stumbled and lurched forward with her spear. It would probably be a lot of work to give everyone unique animations.

It would be a lot of work for a payoff that would seem to be unique, definitely, but kind of... idunno, too unique? I think characters are already given enough personality in battle already through things like critical quotes and the like.