Preparation Screen (Athos not joining) and text editor question

turtleofdoom

I am also relatively new to modding games, but I decided to try changing a few things in Fire Emblem 7 since I am a fan of the game. I ran into two problems and was wondering if anyone had any pointers.

Preparation Screen and Athos not joining:

On the final chapter, Athos is not joining the team. I see the code lines where he would enter the map as a blue unit from the Event Assembler disassembled chapter, but his character does not appear on the preparation screen at all, which is really strange. Athos magically shows up during Final (part 2) against the dragon and replaces the character in the last active party member slot. Anyone have any direction on how to fix this bug?

FeEditor's text editor works only sometimes:

I have experience some difficulty with FeEditor's text editor. It works 100% of the time when I have a clean game; however, it only occasionally works when I do not have a clean game. I was wondering if anyone knows the easiest way to make simple text changes (e.g. if I accidentally wrote in the incorrect character portrait for a line) without having to start from scratch again. Does such a way exist?

If a chapter uses a preparations screen, any player character you load in the opening will not be added to the roster. Any character you want to add can only be added after the chapter begins. Instead, If you want a character to appear in a preparations screen, you need to load them at least 1 chapter beforehand.

If you want a character that "appears" in both a chapter and the chapter's preparations screen, you can fake it by loading the character during the ending events of the previous chapter, during a point where the screen is black.

There's one exception to units loaded before the prep screen not appearing in the roster: if the character is in the main enemy group (Bad, EnemyUnitsHHM etc - basically the enemy group pointed to by the chapter's pointer list) as a player unit, then they will be added to the player's roster after the opening, before the chapter starts.

You wouldn't know this since vanilla FE7 never does it, but it works well enough.

I've only replicated this on my (heavily modified) version of FE7, but the above trick may not work; If you load a player unit that way and save, then restart the chapter, the character may be loaded into your roster a second time and create a duplicate. This will lead to strange behavior because the game does not normally allow duplicate copies of party members.

When you say the text editor doesn't work, what do you mean? Do you mean that you click on it and nothing happens? If so, that's a bug by FEditor which can be fixed by opening your ROM in FEditor and hitting "Save", then closing it and reopening it again. This may happen repeatedly so you will just have to keep on doing this whenever certain functions don't work.

I've only replicated this on my (heavily modified) version of FE7, but the above trick may not work; If you load a player unit that way and save, then restart the chapter, the character may be loaded into your roster a second time and create a duplicate. This will lead to strange behavior because the game does not normally allow duplicate copies of party members.

Looks like you're right, it happens on unmodified FE7 too. That's too bad.