Which weight system would you like in the next game?

GrySun

Which weight system would you want in the next game?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which weight system would you want in the next game?

• FE4 weight
    • GBA weight
    • Tellius weight
    • Awakening's no weight
    • Another system entirely

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weight doesn't hinder any particular class necessarily. Depends on specific character constitution.

The design issue at stake here is why a player should use worse weapons over better ones; if there's no reason not to, then weapon selection becomes mindless and there's less strategical depth. Solving this problem means giving weaker weapons subtle advantages over stronger ones. You could...

-make them cheaper

-make them more readily available

...which is what Awakening's weightless system does. This isn't enough. If gold was at a premium and the choice between a good weapon and extra funds was meaningful, which it isn't in Awakening, maybe the weightless system would have some merit. Or you could...

-make them cheaper

-make them more readily available

-make them lighter

...which is what the GBA weight system does. This is better. Speed penalties can be pretty serious, and this system encourages players to equip most of their units with both heavier / stronger and lighter / weaker weapons for situational use.

It has other advantages, too. I like the trade-off between constitution and rescue for fliers, even if it doesn't come into play as often as it should. It helps balance units like pegasi, who have plenty of miscellaneous utility in exchange for combat speed penalties. It adds a layer of uniqueness to playable characters. I see no downside to a GBA weapon weight system.

1. The Aid system was flawed because it arbitrarily punished female characters for no reason (I can vaguely understand why pegasus knights have less aid, because pegasus are probably able to carry less than normal mounts, but female Paladins, Wyverns, Nomads etc. all having less aid makes no sense what so ever especially since in game sprites show their mount being the exact same size as the male mounts).

2. Your forgetting that weaker weapons tend to have lower weapon ranks, your intendent to use them early one, then use high rank weapons once you get high ranks, your also forgetting their higher accuracy which is honestly fairly minor, but still existant

3. The weapon weight especially for tomes get down right illogical at certain point.

4. The game developers clearly have no idea how to balance characters that are lower in a static stat, they clearly underestimated the effects of having a low con quite a few times, Isadora in particular comes to mind.

5. It seems Illogical to me that for example a falcoknight with 20 strength would be slowed down carrying a basic Iron weapon.

Edited by weso12

Personally I loved weight, because it added another element of strategy and difficulty into the games. My favorite of the weight systems was definitely the one used in Tellius. It just makes more sense to me that as you get physically stronger, you can hold heavier things. And for mages and units with naturally low strength, they could just make the tomes and such have lower weights. The issue I had with Con in the gba games was how it never had the chance to increase, so certain units were basically screwed over for the entire game. If Con could increase, I would definitely like it a lot more, possibly more than the Tellius games'. So rather than just have an old system return exactly as it used to be, I'd really like to see something like in the gba games with an independent stat that dictates the amount of weight a unit can hold. However, I think that stat should have a low chance of being able to increase, like maybe a 10%-20% growth rate for every unit.

1. The Aid system was flawed because it arbitrarily punished female characters for no reason (I can vaguely understand why pegasus knights have less aid, because pegasus are probably able to carry less than normal mounts, but female Paladins, Wyverns, Nomads etc. all having less aid makes no sense what so ever especially since in game sprites show their mount being the exact same size as the male mounts).

2. Your forgetting that weaker weapons tend to have lower weapon ranks, your intendent to use them early one, then use high rank weapons once you get high ranks, your also forgetting their higher accuracy which is honestly fairly minor, but still existant

3. The weapon weight especially for tomes get down right illogical at certain point.

4. The game developers clearly have no idea how to balance characters that are lower in a static stat, they clearly underestimated the effects of having a low con quite a few times, Isadora in particular comes to mind.

5. It seems Illogical to me that for example a falcoknight with 20 strength would be slowed down carrying a basic Iron weapon.

1. This isn't a problem with constitution, but rather with how constitution is implemented. An argument could be made that female mounts deserve a buff.

2. Weapon ranks don't address the problem. If an A-Rank weapon is strictly superior to an E-Rank weapon, equipment becomes mindless. You just pick the best option and roll.

3. Isadora is a perfectly serviceable unit whose constitution issues are made up for by base speed, high movement, and aid utility.

Complaining about mechanical logic in a game series where lords have access to a 100-item convoy and armies take turns fighting one another seems silly to me. If you're really searching for answers, I could argue tome weight is a matter of mental strain rather than physical strain, and [ii] "strength" refers to combat prowess rather than raw power. But if realism is something you value, Fire Emblem is guilty of greater sins than constitution mechanics.

Please no weight. At least, not involving the character's constitution. All it does is place unnecessary restrictions on which weapons I can equip to characters. Although I like the idea of variations on weapons (e.g, slim sword, iron blade) I do not want my choice of variation to be reliant on how large a character is. I would prefer a weight system that utilized strength in most occasions, but had some class specific exceptions as well. Something along the lines of Myrmidons having reduced strength requirements associated with weapons that end in "blade" because of their mastery with those weapons.

I think the GBA system would work fine if constitution were based on class, not gender, and that the con for each class was carefully considered for balance and not realism.

The issue with there being no weight is that it makes using weaker weapons not have any benefits over stronger weapons.

However the old systems are kinda wonky.

The issue with there being no weight is that it makes using weaker weapons not have any benefits over stronger weapons.

The Killer and Brave series of weapons have less might than Silver weapons but have some other benefits that Silver weapons don't have (improved critical chance and guaranteed doubling, respectively).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

The Killer and Brave series of weapons have less might than Silver weapons but have some other benefits that Silver weapons don't have (improved critical chance and guaranteed doubling, respectively).

Brave weapons aren't weaker weapons even if they have less might. Unless your unit is literally shit, they will consistently do more damage.

Edited by Refa

Brave weapons aren't weaker weapons even if they have less might. Unless your unit is literally shit, they will consistently do more damage.

This, and this is also why Braves should be the A ranks while Silvers should be B.