Which cavalier to make a Great knight?

I don't wanna do a all-paladins-only playthrough, & Duessel isn't as good on Eirika's path, so which cavalier is best suited for a Hand-axe GK?

(don't need him to get a high axe rank, I've got Ross for Garm)

Franz Lv20 cavalier

HP:37

Str:15

SKL:11

Spd:17

Def:15

Res:8

Luck:9

CON:9

Kyle Lv20 cavalier

HP:40

Str:17

SKL:12

Spd:14

Def:14

Res:6

Luck:7

CON:10

Forde Lv20 cavalier

HP:37

Str:14

SKL:16

Spd:16

Def:12

Res:6

Luck:10

CON:9

Franz and Forde would be good well-rounded Great Knights, while Kyle would excel with Strength and HP, so it all comes down to your preference in playstyle.

Edited by Ambulz

why is great knight such a bad class? Caps wise, male great knights have +3 str, -2 skl, +4 def compared to paladins. Promotion bonuses wise great knights get +1 hp, +1 str, -1 spd, +2 con, -2 mov compared to paladins. That last bit is the only really bad thing that i see here. Aren't slightly higher stats and an axe rank worth it if you are already running another paladin?(especialy in a game where the devil axe gives 8wexp)

Edited by sirmola

Never promote any cavs. to great knights, because it screws me more than it helps:

- less movement

- bad speed cap

- vulnerable against most effective weapons of all classes in this game

The only good choice for a great knight would be probably Gilliam, because he gets +2 movement.

Great Knight is a fun class if you're a fan of cap ramming, but the movement advantage provided by Paladins, as well as early Speed Boosts (not that any of those guys need any more speed), make it more valuable.

Great Knight looks cool as fuck though.

why is great knight such a bad class? Caps wise, male great knights have +3 str, -2 skl, +4 def compared to paladins. Promotion bonuses wise great knights get +1 hp, +1 str, -1 spd, +2 con, -2 mov compared to paladins. That last bit is the only really bad thing that i see here. Aren't slightly higher stats and an axe rank worth it if you are already running another paladin?(especialy in a game where the devil axe gives 8wexp)

I don't like how Great Knights are essentially foot units that take worse movement penalties. Or their ugly sprites. So no, I don't consider the tradeoff worth it.

Great Knight is a fun class if you're a fan of cap ramming, but the movement advantage provided by Paladins, as well as early Speed Boosts (not that any of those guys need any more speed), make it more valuable.

Great Knight looks cool as fuck though.

GKs get more speed on promotion than Paladins though.

EDIT: Fixed, meant promotion.

Edited by Irysa

- vulnerable against most effective weapons of all classes in this game

I don't think this is actually a disadvantage, seeing as the enemies don't use effective weaponry often enough for it to be a problem.

Edited by Refa

It's mainly LTC move-wh**es who thinks no-8-MOV-means-worst-FE-class-evar. It's only desert stage & the wooded-terrain heavy Darkling Woods where that's really a disadvantage

By the way made Forde my GK (and I don't go everybody-must-be-only-that-one-class way e.g. Sage Artur, MK Lute, Hero Ross are not playing FE:SS wrong)

It's mainly LTC move-wh**es who thinks no-8-MOV-means-worst-FE-class-evar. It's only desert stage & the wooded-terrain heavy Darkling Woods where that's really a disadvantage

we're all grown-ups here. there's no need to censor innocuous words. i resent being called an LTC move-whale, but at least it's better than being an LTC move-dugong.

Edited by dondon151

By the way made Forde my GK (and I don't go everybody-must-be-only-that-one-class way e.g. Sage Artur, MK Lute, Hero Ross are not playing FE:SS wrong)

I'm no LTC move-whale, but I DO think that Great Knights only having 6 move defeats the purpose of them being mounted.

By the way, I have seen people recommend Hero Ross.

Edited by Levant Caprice