Touhou Chemblem!

Magical Glace

So East Chemblem is a FE based Touhou fangame, as plenty of you probably know.

I have the program all set up and ready to go, but I have a bit of a problem in that it crashes a bit of the way in. Does anyone else encounter this, and how can I fix it? Am I missing files?

Xa9WVpT.png?1

EDIT on my specs: I can Run Touhou 13.5, but not Dolphin.

Oh yeah, you are all free to discuss other aspects of Touhou Chemblem here, not just answer the above question.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Part of the reason I stopped my runthrough of Chen Emblem was random, unpredictable crashes. I never found a consistent solution, I'm assuming when I could complete maps it was simply because the game hadn't tried to access an illegal section of memory yet or something.

Edit: That said, troubleshooting would be a lot more helpful if you included your operating system, version, locale, etc. Location of the crash, reproducability, and so forth are also often handy. Just as a general rule, not just for Chen Emblem issues, but going forward whenever you're looking for help.

Edited by Balcerzak

Ah, yes, East Chemblem is pretty restrictive on non-Japanese computers. To play it properly, you need to set up both your system locale AND your date/time format to Japanese.

On Windows 7:

Changing System Locale - Control Panel -> Change keyboard or other input methods (under Clock, Language, and Region) -> Adminstrative -> Change system locale -> Japanese (Japan)

This requires administrative privileges and also requires the computer to restart for this. Japanese locale is necessary for a lot of Japanese applications, not just East Chemblem. There is an application called AppLocale that supposedly allows you to run specific applications on a different locale (allowing you to keep your system locale as it is while running Japanese applications on Japanese locale) but I don't know how to get it to work and I heard it's not as reliable as changing the system locale directly. Also, don't worry, changing to Japanese locale shouldn't be causing any adverse effects. Your files and everything will still be in English, and probably the most annoying part of Japanese locale is that the backslash in the file address gets replaced by a yen symbol, which isn't much of a big deal, honestly.

Changing date/time format - On the same window, go to Formats and change the Format to Japanese (Japan). In other words,

Control Panel -> Change keyboard or other input methods (under Clock, Language, and Region) -> Formats -> Format: Japanese (Japan)

Most Japanese applications don't actually require changing date/time format, but I know East Chemblem specifically requires it (I couldn't get it to work until I changed the date/time format, and my PC was already always in Japanese locale). Changing the date/time format means you have to deal with the YYYY/MM/DD format and a 24-hour time representation. Which isn't really a big price to pay, imo, but it could get annoying.

If you're not on Windows 7, then I can't really provide specific instructions on how to achieve those. But it's probably not very difficult to figure out, if you can find out where you can manipulate these region and language settings. Good luck!

I had it all set to Japanese the whole time.

Even with date/time changed, it still crashes bunches unpredictably on Windows 8.1, at least in my experience.

This is the Wndows version I use.