Hey... so, I want to improve in my artwork as its something I have always loved, always enjoyed ever since I was a little kid.

...so with that in mind, I have decided to try and work on some of my actual pen and paper artworks. I will be trying to work on something new every week that I actually put time and effort into doing skeletons, proportions and eventually trying my hand at inking... in the meantime though... have some of my crappy pen based design doodles? XD

Disclaimer: These are pretty... yeah, deformed, malformed, but are more doodles that I make in spare time or when bored in classes that I use to brainstorm sprites and character designs. Majority of these images are thus, very hurriedly done, not accurate proportions or what have you... but they show some of my designs so I feel they are worth sharing for that aspect... and maybe the lols? :P

Also, my apologies... I didn't scan some of these properly so a bunch are super super blurry... I may try to rescan some of these when I get access to a proper scanner again.

[spoiler=The Art]

e4b93266023c52748b5d0c95f5d673c3.png

-General Fire Emblem designs, ideas for Villager designs, Garhen, Bandit dude done for the Splice Contest in a battle sprite-ish form. Big one is tier2? smaller tier1?

ac10ff4e118431582fcfb5477e60ba13.png

-Still working on these... mulling over designs for a Barbarian class in GBA battle sprite form. Not sure what combination of elements works the best for the concept.

7ad4f8e1c6a74f71f1c3ce78cae052df.png

-Fighter concept designs... trying to come up with some different feels/styles.

4c3e390426d07724bc612467db308467.png

-Really need to rescan this one... its ridiculously blurry due to poor scanning due to trying to place two pages on scanner from a ringed sketch book. If you can make it out... my Lord from my sprite thread Quinn is there, along with some of his potential supporting cast on the top page. His starter units are a tier0/trainee armor unit with swords, a naive young blade knight named Rupert. His other(insanely blurry) companion is a taciturn tactician name Torne. Torne will likely use magic and swords if possible... Notes on his personality are grumpy+cynical...(totally not a Soren analogue at all >.>)

-Bottom page has a OC of mine named Dacen, who like my other OC Erwand I am still trying to figure out how they fit into the Fire Emblem universe, design and classwise. Other random little sketches/characters... Think the girl at the bottom was me trying to figure out the design on my Female Lord. Some random archer/sniper... Some older Armor Knight/Paladin/Great Knight gentleman in the top right corner.

a1cfb5e45520ca6ecdfefd4ebf10bac2.png

-As you can see, the simplified designs I make... I then can pretty easily translate into battle sprite form.

509897d2984ff68e79b30b1292d90b87.png

-Sometimes, I make a sprite/mug that I like and then try to translate into a battle sprite design... this guy I made for my first splice contest here will eventually be made into a bandit/brigand when I get around to it.

----

Anyways, that's some of my stuff... I honestly have a bunch of sketch pads full of way better works from ages ago... think I will try to see if I can those sometime. In the meantime, I hope to update this thread every week with some actual hard effort artwork to try to improve a bit. Thanks for taking the time to check this out. Hope you found it interesting or entertaining at least...

...as I always say in my sprite threads, I seriously love any and all sorts of feedback, whether criticisms, comments, thoughts, cookies or just random streams of consciousness...Thanks! :D

Edited by ErrantShepherd

Sooooo... found some of my old sketchbooks. I will be uploading bits and pieces of them over the next few days or so... in the meantime... Here's some of the stuff? C+P from Skype... (Most of these are circa 2005?)

[spoiler=Da "Artworks]

Once again... need to figure out better way to scan a lot of these... :\

bcb247f137162992ff729c60776b9488.png

6090544a7a4f697b280ed92a72e492ca.png
-artworks/scans obviously not really quality I would like to do... but eh, some cool designs

44f1e98c6b07723230fa7b8aa24733c0.png

5f3fc0f8dbb1dc509c288dc39b532e67.png
-Like the designs in the bottom one especially

aeafa670756763756cd3c2facf52a004.png
-Team concept from back when I did Megaman sprite stuff...lemme know if any of the stuff is hard to read/make out

f5ea4b212461738d375c3fb3d92846bb.png

hes... chibi?

8e88a93ebeab4ac9a4a1167cb410a54f.png

...and so is he, but slightly disturbingly

6d87f9442be3ff7761a604820c14bd44.png

"...ah crap, where did it go?"

c2a90970b512b0bd64b3f0343bc9eb35.png

-Not dorky at all... >.>

...that's it for now. Should have some more of these scans tomorrow. :)

...as I always say in my sprite threads, I seriously love any and all sorts of feedback, whether criticisms, comments, thoughts, cookies or just random streams of consciousness...Thanks! :D

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Yes... yes he is.

c0d2f8a3a1deda0266d3a499d953318c.png

-I like this concept... that princess though... wow, "lurn 2 draw gurlz" :p

...I would like to think that I have a better understanding of female anatomy now than I did in highschool.(especially since I have a kid)

Lol that bucktoothed spider.

You have a kid? *looks at your profile* You're 4 years older than me I see...some of the people I graduated with have kids so yeah, that's not unheard of. Myself, I'm nowhere near that. Single, never even been in a relationship. *insert forever alone guy here*

But that wouldnt affect knowing anatomy in art xD Unless you drew her like one of your french girls *shot*

• 4 weeks later...

[spoiler=The Art]

e4b93266023c52748b5d0c95f5d673c3.png

-General Fire Emblem designs, ideas for Villager designs, Garhen, Bandit dude done for the Splice Contest in a battle sprite-ish form. Big one is tier2? smaller tier1?

ac10ff4e118431582fcfb5477e60ba13.png

-Still working on these... mulling over designs for a Barbarian class in GBA battle sprite form. Not sure what combination of elements works the best for the concept.

7ad4f8e1c6a74f71f1c3ce78cae052df.png

-Fighter concept designs... trying to come up with some different feels/styles.

4c3e390426d07724bc612467db308467.png

-Really need to rescan this one... its ridiculously blurry due to poor scanning due to trying to place two pages on scanner from a ringed sketch book. If you can make it out... my Lord from my sprite thread Quinn is there, along with some of his potential supporting cast on the top page. His starter units are a tier0/trainee armor unit with swords, a naive young blade knight named Rupert. His other(insanely blurry) companion is a taciturn tactician name Torne. Torne will likely use magic and swords if possible... Notes on his personality are grumpy+cynical...(totally not a Soren analogue at all >.>)

-Bottom page has a OC of mine named Dacen, who like my other OC Erwand I am still trying to figure out how they fit into the Fire Emblem universe, design and classwise. Other random little sketches/characters... Think the girl at the bottom was me trying to figure out the design on my Female Lord. Some random archer/sniper... Some older Armor Knight/Paladin/Great Knight gentleman in the top right corner.

a1cfb5e45520ca6ecdfefd4ebf10bac2.png

-As you can see, the simplified designs I make... I then can pretty easily translate into battle sprite form.

509897d2984ff68e79b30b1292d90b87.png

-Sometimes, I make a sprite/mug that I like and then try to translate into a battle sprite design... this guy I made for my first splice contest here will eventually be made into a bandit/brigand when I get around to it.

The style reminds me of FFT. Good game, that one. Especially with the Faith system.

• 1 year later...

*Blows off dust*

https://imgur.com/a/XgKHx

Just some more tiny concept art for my project.

Nice job! I really like the art style of the GBA games. I think the more modern FEs get to be a little too detailed. Trying to draw Corrin's armor is a nightmare.

[spoiler=More design work]hymRVJz.jpg

-Starting some work on sketching potential outfits for Quinn

JVoPcvd.jpg

-Some bigger design work on the Cavalier, Drake

2249adc722f956310e9256cf683a5c8b.png

-first seen in this image.

cmWXvng.jpg

-Soldier dude, no name currently.

Edited by ErrantShepherd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jones the Pirate Queen. From my project, Book of Exiles.

My process from beginning to end.

[spoiler=Ref for purple dreadlocks.]

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=131302674

[spoiler=First sketch to most current version.]

PEbnSyA.jpg

usZbQt7.jpg

Tczx5M8.jpg

W5zEFq5.jpg

That scar over her eye, BTW... you give her, as Raynah if you essentially duel her.

Jones: likes... strong women

Nope, you have not dueled her if you don't defeat her with the Lord.

Jones: "...I want to feel the clash of steel on steel! The rush of one on one combat, blondie..."

---

TkHQUpR.jpg

-The Errant Shepherd, design doodles

Random peeps/sketches

h61jEqG.jpg

3xQ1tfd.jpg

Doodles of characters that may or may not be in my project.

Anyways, any and all criticism, comments or steams of consciousness would be very much appreciated. :D

Edited by ErrantShepherd

*notices lack of comments*

*sighs*

Pirate Queen Davida Jones, finished coloring today.

AUnzx77.jpg

I know the feeling. Sometimes, I feel like an anxious school girl, waiting for feedback. I actually intended to comment today, but it can be hard to do on mobile.

I think your Jones Pirate is really good. Any criticism I have is just minor nitpicks. One point would be to move the armband on the right elbow just a little bit distally. When you have something tight right at the joint, it can constrict movement ever so slightly. I've had patients complain about Coban bandages right there being too tight, and it's a sensitive spot with the neurovascular bundle right there at the joint. But, like I said, that's a very minor nitpick that most people wouldn't even notice or care about. I wish I could draw joints that well, to even make it be an issue.

Interesting. I definitely learned something new today! :D

uSxTGJQ.png

Tweaks to Jones.

Think what you were referring to, if it was the one her on the our left is actually supposed to be a tattoo.

Edited by ErrantShepherd

Interesting. I definitely learned something new today! :D

uSxTGJQ.png

Tweaks to Jones.

Think what you were referring to, if it was the one her on the our left is actually supposed to be a tattoo.

Yeah, it was the one on our left, her right. At the bend of the elbow.

Getting feedback comes with perseverance and patience :> If you ever need any tips and advice, I would love to help out! (we fellow Canadians have to look out for each other, eh? Hahaha!)

I'd have to say, the anatomy in your recent drawing is very good! Muscles or just drawing big arms in general is pretty difficult so you should pat yourself on the back! The few things I would have to criticize are:

• Depending on your stylization, try to work with thinner lines when lining your work! You'll be able to add more details and it'll make your drawing feel less heavy.
  • The shading is a bit inconsistent in that some parts are more noticeably more shaded than other areas. Try to work with darker colours for shading to contrast and to add depth!
  • Keep an eye on what you want the focal point to be. What's the first thing that you want the viewer to notice when they see the drawing? To me, the first things my eye notices are the necklaces around her neck but also her headband because of how thick and dark the line art is.
  • For the tank top, the bottom should round downwards and not upwards. The only time the bottom of the tank top would round up is if the viewer were looking up at her from a lower angle. Similar to the various bands on her arms. Think of arms as cylinders - think about how they curve, how they're angled and you should be able to picture how something would band around it.

Cheers thank you very much! (And yay more Canadians!) Anyways, definitely! Any and all help or advice would be very much appreciated. :)

Some very good tips, will try and take them into consideration. This is literally my first female half body... In years. :0

Edited by ErrantShepherd

This is literally my first female half body... In years. :0

I never would have been able to tell. Funnily, I read that as half female body.

• 1 month later...

2v5l4U7.jpg

-art based off Chen's rendition of the Errant Shepherd, along with my avatar.

Needs more work.

lP34zWR.jpg

-Old grumpy man. Needs clothes.

Nice work, is the ErrantShepherd an OC of yours?

Maybe the man is grumpy, because he has no nipples?