Something completely new...

ckc22

Hey all :)

I've seen a lot of very cool posts around here about what types of systems/etc. you would prefer to see in the next FE but almost all of it is based on reusing systems/ideas/etc. from old FE games (not that that's a bad thing - they're all fun conversations).

I was just wondering if anyone though there was something new that FE could add to the mix to change up/add to the game without pulling it too far away from FE?

Something novel to FE even if it isn't necessarily novel to sub-genre/genre?

Personally I feel like the "base" idea ~partially explored in the tellius games and minimally in Awakening is an area that is ripe for expansion. I'm not sure exactly what I'd like to see, but I feel like there is an opportunity to make it feel more customized to your army/playthrough.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Area of Effect attacks are something that I'd like to see incorporated. Could be a good way of giving more variety to tomes.

Something kind of akin to the Map nuking spells in TRS?

Something kind of akin to the Map nuking spells in TRS?

I guess? IDK, not sure I'd call TRS's AoE spells "map nukes."

For the record, I'm talking about stuff like "Black Hole" and "Land Burst."

I guess? IDK, not sure I'd call TRS's AoE spells "map nukes."

For the record, I'm talking about stuff like "Black Hole" and "Land Burst."

Well there was at least one spell I could remember that hits every enemy on the map once.

Well there was at least one spell I could remember that hits every enemy on the map once.

Yeah, Aura Rain. But that's a bit overkill compared to what I'm thinking of.

More like a spell that damages a 3x3 area or something.

Yeah, Aura Rain. But that's a bit overkill compared to what I'm thinking of.

More like a spell that damages a 3x3 area or something.

Gotcha, sorry for misinterpreting.

Enemy convoys? If you don't destroy it in time, then enemy units will get their hands on healing items/stronger weapons.

New 'crossfire' objective. Two really strong factions are fighting each other, and you have to maneuver your way to an escape point within a certain number of turns.

Gotcha, sorry for misinterpreting.

It's all cool bro.

New 'crossfire' objective. Two really strong factions are fighting each other, and you have to maneuver your way to an escape point within a certain number of turns.

I don't really see how this is all that different from the Escape objective.

Edit: Though that does remind me, it would cool to have more factions beyond the traditional NPC/Enemy/Player factions. FE7x has something like this.

Edited by #RR shinpichu

Base would be cool to see return to an extent, also I'd like if we could actually walk around in the towns via FE Gaiden.

Ideally it wouldn't be just a return - although I did like it. I'd want to see it involve some unlocks/choices/recruits - maybe related to renown/visiting villages - perhaps there are recruits that function in some way in the base rather than as a member of the army.

Enemy convoys? If you don't destroy it in time, then enemy units will get their hands on healing items/stronger weapons.

I'm up for some returning escape chapters :)

It's all cool bro.

I don't really see how this is all that different from the Escape objective.

Edit: Though that does remind me, it would cool to have more factions beyond the traditional NPC/Enemy/Player factions. FE7x has something like this.

Yarne's recruitment chapter came so close to being something like this - although if you choose to fight both instead of it being like green vs blue vs red they all just added together. Cynthias also had an interesting npc/enemy phase, with the boss recruiting npcs if you didn't reach him fast enough.

Area of Effect attacks are something that I'd like to see incorporated. Could be a good way of giving more variety to tomes.

I could see it working as something that required a 2-3 magical units to pull off something ~tripeg attack but provides a aoe spell.

Ideally it wouldn't be just a return - although I did like it. I'd want to see it involve some unlocks/choices/recruits - maybe related to renown/visiting villages - perhaps there are recruits that function in some way in the base rather than as a member of the army.

So something akin to Suikoden, where all the 108 stars didn't fight.

My vote goes to Sharks with Laser beams attached to their heads.

But on a serious note I would like to see a new mechanic that emphasized world building a way to explore whatever FE universe this is. Someone mentioned being able to look around in towns and I think that would be really cool.

I'd like to see maps that are about raiding an enemy base for resources, but you only have time to secure one kind of resource. Depending on what you choose, you'll have different resources available for future maps. Maybe one objective is raiding an armory for better weapons, a treasury for gold, or even a library to unlock special classes. Having the opposite (disrupting an enemy's supplies so they have less of something in future battles) would be neat as well. Starcraft had such a mission where you had to choose whether to disrupt the enemy's ability to build their strongest warship or to stop their nuke production.

I don't know, I think stuff like AoE is more the realm of Final Fantasy Tactics. I wouldn't mind a few novelty spells and effects but I wouldn't want that to become a new core mechanic.

Wasn't area of effect stuff kinda in RD? With spells like Meteor that hit multiple units or something? The sleep staff was another thing I recall even though that only hit one unit/tile. Awakening also had that one level with the lava that damaged anyone in it.

Wasn't area of effect stuff kinda in RD? With spells like Meteor that hit multiple units or something? The sleep staff was another thing I recall even though that only hit one unit/tile. Awakening also had that one level with the lava that damaged anyone in it.

Meteor and sleep style spells and staves have been around for awhile and always single target.

So something akin to Suikoden, where all the 108 stars didn't fight.

That would actually be pretty cool - especially if you had to accomplish fights within it to clear out monsters/enemies before you could "use" the room. I just always liked games were I could customize a base/hometown by recruiting certain NPCs with special store/forging/etc. function. ~Township in BoFII.

My vote goes to Sharks with Laser beams attached to their heads.

But on a serious note I would like to see a new mechanic that emphasized world building a way to explore whatever FE universe this is. Someone mentioned being able to look around in towns and I think that would be really cool.

Haha I know it's kind of a silly topic - I just feel like within the world map styled ~Gaiden/Sacred Stones/Awakening games (which I feel like we'll be getting more of for a while) there's room for more variation and innovation in the series than there is in the chapter->chapter->chapter games. I think pulling Gaiden's exploration could be a really interesting direction.

I'd like to see maps that are about raiding an enemy base for resources, but you only have time to secure one kind of resource. Depending on what you choose, you'll have different resources available for future maps. Maybe one objective is raiding an armory for better weapons, a treasury for gold, or even a library to unlock special classes. Having the opposite (disrupting an enemy's supplies so they have less of something in future battles) would be neat as well. Starcraft had such a mission where you had to choose whether to disrupt the enemy's ability to build their strongest warship or to stop their nuke production.

I don't know, I think stuff like AoE is more the realm of Final Fantasy Tactics. I wouldn't mind a few novelty spells and effects but I wouldn't want that to become a new core mechanic.

I like the enemy base idea, maybe coupled with if you fight a ~reeking box/mapspawn enemy on your base you are put in a "defend" type map of your own resources.

I can't remember if we've had it before (I think so) - but I'd like to see some instances where 2 chapters open up at once and you get some changes based on what you do first/second.

I guess this falls into the realm of having choices that matter/multiple chapter spanning consequences, but another cool thing to see would be enemy unit compositions changing depending on what you did in prior missions. Say for one map, there is an optional boss you can kill, and if you kill him, his friends will show up in a later mission to avenge him.

I just always liked games were I could customize a base/hometown by recruiting certain NPCs with special store/forging/etc. function. ~Township in BoFII.

Expanding on this, having "mercenary" NPCs who you could hire to add functions/increase shop selection to your base. Kind of like how you in RD, what you could do in the armory depends on the plot and who was around, only giving you control over what was available.

I think it would be cool if the player could choose the side they want to fight on. Kind of like in Command and Conquer where you choose to be Russia or the United States.

I really like the ideas of AoE tomes and towns. :)

They could change the long range tomes to hit like the stone ballista in RD which hit in a cross pattern, or just add a few new ones on top of the existing ones.

And towns would be awesome. They wouldn't even have to be very big. Haven't seen how they did it before but I picture it as being just the base but units and NPCs with special events would show up like in Awakening's base and you'd move your character over to talk to them, instead of just selecting an option in a menu. Same for the shops and forges.

A while back I wondered it they could create some sort of mechanic regarding fights between people of different handedness.

Not sure what to expect from that either, though.

The enemy convoy idea was in Berwick Saga and was pretty cool. So was the idea of hiring mercenary NPCs, though not quite in the same way. You could hire mercenaries to fight for you as PCs for a couple chapters, and then there'd be some event later on that'd let you recruit them fully so you wouldn't have to pay them anymore. I thought that was pretty neat.

An incentive to keep going when a unit dies.

I'd like a Fire Emblem where character death gets their own conversations. Something like funerals, breaking the news to loved ones and whatnot. Maybe have s-rank supports stick with the character if you trigger a certain conversation.

Just something to change the whole soft reset when a unit dies thing.