Something completely new...

ckc22

a FOOD system. even lords with four dimensional pockets need to eat!

spend the gold you earned from cashing in on your dead units' life insurance to actually feed your units!(who never seem to have to eat anything.... well besides the confectionary items.)

Edit: just realized the ate a bear in awakening and some other random baked goods......... though i think that's the first time i'd ever heard of anything marginally related to food in a fire emblem game. the word *supplies* does not count(radiant dawn, i'm looking at you).

Edited by Masadeer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spend the gold you earned from cashing in on your dead units' life insurance to actually feed your units!(who never seem to have to eat anything.... well besides the confectionary items.)

Edit: just realized the ate a bear in awakening and some other random baked goods......... though i think that's the first time i'd ever heard of anything marginally related to food in a fire emblem game. the word *supplies* does not count(radiant dawn, i'm looking at you).

Like rations?

This is about to get real Oregon Trail real fast.

But I jest--a rations system might be interesting, though I may be a little biased, since the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon food system killed me inside.

Edited by Respite&Nepenthe

They would just figure out how to implement it without it being tedious and debilitating to the gameplay. Which when you're talking about sustanance and logistics is by its very nature tedious and limiting. Before implementing it I would ask what does it really add to the game itself?

They would just figure out how to implement it without it being tedious and debilitating to the gameplay. Which when you're talking about sustanance and logistics is by its very nature tedious and limiting. Before implementing it I would ask what does it really add to the game itself?

Adding it in as a hardcore option amongst hardcore options, lunatic ++, if you will. Not only is gold significantly harder to come by, you're forced to spend it on troop supplies!

Note* the best i can manage is regular lunatic mode. I just thought it'd be fun to watch.

That said, you could just tack that onto regular lunatic mode, and scale up the enemies a little bit. A LITTLE BIT I SAID. Giving you a relatively smooth transition from lunatic to lunatic+.

Personally i feel that the transition from lunatic mode to lunatic + is challenging, to rng gambling(in other words next to bloody impossible). playing awakening i scaled up the difficulty with every playthrough, starting with normal, beating it ridiculously easily, then hard, much more appropriate, but still easy. Lunatic mode- hell for the first five chapters then i wimped out and DLC grinded to oblivion and beyond(and even that was hard, Harvest scramble on lunatic......).

Lunatic+ is a huge stumbling block.

OR even better yet. Use it to flesh out some characters even more, like oscar. He's described as an awesome cook, but that's about it. it could be like: every time it's oscar's turn to do cook dinner, everyone's stats/morale(if there is a morale system in this one) increases, and whenever it's ike's turn, everone starts off poisoned.

Or even better yet, just leave it as a "supplies" tile when raiding enemy camps, where anyone(doesn't have to be a theif) can steal some loot. by the nature of large loot piles, and being in the middle of combat, you can only take a single item per turn, per person. each successive raid on the same loot pile reduces the chances of getting better items, and increases the chances of getting regular/cheap items(because everyone else has already taken the obvious and outermost expensive loot)

Edited by Masadeer

I wanna see enemies pair up as well. That'll make battles a bit more interesting and have us see what the enemies have to deal with every time they fought us in Awakening.

EDIT: Also amiibo support in some way.

Edited by Power Master

I wanna see enemies pair up as well. That'll make battles a bit more interesting and have us see what the enemies have to deal with every time they fought us in Awakening.

Thing is, the AI doesn't get frustrated when Dual Strike and Dual Guard activate. A human being, on the the other hand, would.

That said, you could just tack that onto regular lunatic mode, and scale up the enemies a little bit. A LITTLE BIT I SAID. Giving you a relatively smooth transition from lunatic to lunatic+.

Personally i feel that the transition from lunatic mode to lunatic + is challenging, to rng gambling(in other words next to bloody impossible). playing awakening i scaled up the difficulty with every playthrough, starting with normal, beating it ridiculously easily, then hard, much more appropriate, but still easy. Lunatic mode- hell for the first five chapters then i wimped out and DLC grinded to oblivion and beyond(and even that was hard, Harvest scramble on lunatic......).

Lunatic+ is a huge stumbling block.

I mentioned something similar on another thread, but I don't think adding a difficulty between L and L+ would make L+ easier to tackle. In order to take on L and more importantly L+, you have to adopt different strategies. Read through some L/L+ playlogs and you'll get some ideas as to what techniques should be adopted.

The random nature of enemy skill sets isn't that bad after a while, but I don't think it adds much to the game, because you can see all the enemy skills before starting the map. You have to adapt, but not on the fly. It matters more for enemy reinforcements, but you are going to assume the worst from them anyway in terms of skills. So I think they should do away with random distribution and make specific, non-varying distributions for the sake of early chapter balance.

Edit: Word choice

Edited by omega zero

What I want to see is more natural character dialogue outside supports, similar to in FE7 when you played through Eliwood/Hector's story and reunited with people from Lyn's. They expressed surprise at seeing you again and made some small talk, as if they were really seeing you again after a long separation. It would help with characterization and liven up the battles.

1. As you progress through a level doing things like killing enough enemies or advancing certain distances characters will talk about it. For example if Sain gets near a village he comments about the fair maidens that may be within. In 3-6 or 3-13 of Radiant Dawn having Zihark kill enough laguz makes him lament having to do so.

2. More boss conversations, both when you first engage and after you beat them. I liked how in Chapter 16 of Sacred Stones the twins, Seth, and all three cavaliers had conversations with Orson. It made fighting him feel much more meaningful, taking down the wretched traitor to Renais rather than just killing another boss.

3. Dialogue from random enemies. If I'm pushing forward I want an officer to show up and order his men to counterattack. If I slaughter those guys in one turn I want enemies farther back to freak out.

Well, it's not completely new, per se, but having Personal Skills would be cool. Not like Aether for Ike or Pavise for Xavier, but a personal skill based on the main personality trait of the character that truly sets that unit apart. It wouldn't take up a skill slot, and would be learnt after 15 collective levels a unit goes through.

Kellam, for example, is never noticed by others. Therefore, his skill would make AI enemies target him less often. It could be called Wallflower, I guess. This would increase his viability as a Priest, especially coupled with his excellent Defense, as he could heal front-lines allies without fear of being curb stomped by any enemy with an ounce of sense. This would also make him a great bow user as an Assassin, and would even help him in his General class if he is at low health after attacking an enemy that you forgot had a Hammer/Armorslayer (This happens to me a lot).

Abilities like these would make units that are "bad" have the potential to be "good", give outclassed units (Ests and Oifeys, for example) a chance to stand out, and the ability to create many exciting and abstract niches for many characters who at first glance are lackluster.

There's already two versions of the "Wallflower" skill, Shade and the beefed up Stillness. And Stillness is the personal skill of an Assassin, too ~o3o~

And in Radiant Dawn everyone owning a personal skill got it for free, meaning it didn't eat up their skill capacity~

I'm totally for the idea of personal skills making a comeback though, they were always a really cool thing that made it more fun to use certain units, like Sir Edward Axetotheface getting Wrath and critting everything once he tales a hit~

Ideas:

1. Support driven Story dialogue. I mentioned this in another thing too but it would be cool if support levels between characters had an effect on how characters interacted in story dialogue. Thus incorporating supports and the things that happen in them into the stroty instead of them being so separate.

2. Huge character pool. In the opposite direction, maybe what would be cool is instead of a medium/small pool of characters that usually appears in FE games, have a huge hidden pool of characters with hidden requirements to make them show up in the chapter that vary by difficulty of maybe focus on different things depending on how different people play the game (spent/collected x amount of gold, have x number of archers in your party, cleared previous chapter in x turns or less, etc.). So lets say there's 6 potential characters that could show up to be recruited in Chapter 10, but the game only allows one to appear. Kind of like Animal Crossing villagers, but not random. So the potential pool of characters would be massive, and each play through you could end up with varying parties of characters. Obvious there are problems here, but its an idea.

3. Skill tiers/classifications. Say each character has a slot for 1 attack skill (Luna, Sol, Astra, etc.), a slot of two for stat increase skills, a slot for healing skills, a slot for movement skills, or whatever would be the best way to split them up. It would make putting skills on characters much more like you're really giving them a build.

There's already two versions of the "Wallflower" skill, Shade and the beefed up Stillness. And Stillness is the personal skill of an Assassin, too ~o3o~

And in Radiant Dawn everyone owning a personal skill got it for free, meaning it didn't eat up their skill capacity~

I'm totally for the idea of personal skills making a comeback though, they were always a really cool thing that made it more fun to use certain units, like Sir Edward Axetotheface getting Wrath and critting everything once he tales a hit~

Really? I didn't know that. I never played PoR or RD, so I didn't know that. I was just using Kellam as an example, and I knew Ike got Aether as a personal skill. I just don't want If to be divided into "Good Characters" and "Bad Characters", as it seems to be a common theme in these games.

2. Huge character pool. In the opposite direction, maybe what would be cool is instead of a medium/small pool of characters that usually appears in FE games, have a huge hidden pool of characters with hidden requirements to make them show up in the chapter that vary by difficulty of maybe focus on different things depending on how different people play the game (spent/collected x amount of gold, have x number of archers in your party, cleared previous chapter in x turns or less, etc.). So lets say there's 6 potential characters that could show up to be recruited in Chapter 10, but the game only allows one to appear. Kind of like Animal Crossing villagers, but not random. So the potential pool of characters would be massive, and each play through you could end up with varying parties of characters. Obvious there are problems here, but its an idea.

The difference between Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem is, Animal crossing characters just fall into personality categories and aren't fleshed out in any way. You could make 100 Fire Emblem characters but there would be no reasonable way to develop any of them, and a lot of created content would rarely or never be seen by many players. I think your idea is more akin to FF:Tactics, where you recruit generic units for your clan.

3. Skill tiers/classifications. Say each character has a slot for 1 attack skill (Luna, Sol, Astra, etc.), a slot of two for stat increase skills, a slot for healing skills, a slot for movement skills, or whatever would be the best way to split them up. It would make putting skills on characters much more like you're really giving them a build.

Players do a lot of this voluntarily. The way it generally goes is to have 1 attack skill and a number of support skills to suit the purpose of the unit.

Really? I didn't know that. I never played PoR or RD, so I didn't know that. I was just using Kellam as an example, and I knew Ike got Aether as a personal skill. I just don't want If to be divided into "Good Characters" and "Bad Characters", as it seems to be a common theme in these games.

It's alright, I know not everyone has played the games ;p

Yeah, giving otherwise "bad" characters a good ability really balances out the cast so you don't have to be restricted. Astrid, for example, comes in as a level 1 Bow Knight (think a Cavalier with Bows) in a mid-game chapter in Path of Radiance, and her stats aren't amazing, but she has Paragon, which means that as soon as you feed her a level or too she snowballs into a fantastic unit.

1. Support driven Story dialogue. I mentioned this in another thing too but it would be cool if support levels between characters had an effect on how characters interacted in story dialogue. Thus incorporating supports and the things that happen in them into the stroty instead of them being so separate.

Personally I would prefer to have these support level influences on the text take place toward the end of the game. That way it gives the player enough time to build the support rank.

Eh I really don't like this. I think giving capacity/open skill slots and letting players come up with their own builds is far more satisfying and fun.

Thing is, the AI doesn't get frustrated when Dual Strike and Dual Guard activate. A human being, on the the other hand, would.

Oh? I kind of like the Dual system. Saved my butt numerous times.

Capturing enemy units! After clearing the map you can sell your captives for gold! or possibly recruit them. (The capture and recruit thing makes a hell of a lot more sense than some of the other recruitments i've seen in FE games)

Oh? I kind of like the Dual system. Saved my butt numerous times.

I was talking about the proposed idea of letting the enemy AI use Dual Guard/Dual Strike.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Capturing enemy units! After clearing the map you can sell your captives for gold! or possibly recruit them. (The capture and recruit thing makes a hell of a lot more sense than some of the other recruitments i've seen in FE games)

Isn't capturing enemies in FE5? Not sure as I have no experience with the game. It would be interesting to bring it back.

Isn't capturing enemies in FE5? Not sure as I have no experience with the game. It would be interesting to bring it back.

Yes it was in Fe5. You could try to capture an enemy by attacking them with roughly halved stats and defeating them. While holding them, you stats are decreased, but you can take their weapons and yes, some enemies can be recruited in this way.

I think I said on another forum that I would love to be able to mine/chop/take raw materials (ala Etrian Odyssey and Final Fantasy Tactics A2) which I could sell to the armoury in order to forge my weapons or to get new uber powerful weapons.

You could have optional gathering missions where you have to gather X amount of raw goods in X amount of turns before the enemy units show up. So, you could be routing the enemy whilst gathering materials to help the armoury/shop.

I also want evasion and stealth missions. I thank Midnight Sun for this.

So going back to the hardcore mode idea.

Somebody mentioned the Lord dying. Here's a hilarious idea that would never happen: "If the Lord dies, the protagonist is changed to whomever the player chooses."

That would be stupidly hard to implement, but neat too.

Also, the extra content when units die was done in FE11, albeit horribly executed.

One thing I think would be cool that would also limit in-game grinding would be to have a sense of time. Running to and from various continents when the world is about to end doesn't make much sense, and detracts from the sense of urgency In the story. So what I was thinking is that before certain missions, you would be allowed a certain number of turns to grind. You would have a set number of battles you can enter before a chapter, and once you run out of time, you would have to proceed with the story. If you don't use all of your turns to grind then they will stack with the next ones you receive. So there would also be some strategy in deciding when to grind. Of course, for chapters that happen immediately one after another there will be no grinding time regardless of how much time you have. This would maintain a sense of urgency and I think would help the setting feel more realistic. They could also make the amount of grinding time a reward for doing well in battle, similar to how bonus experience was awarded in fe 9 and 10. The more turns you take the less time you will have to grind, for example.

Of course, after you beat the game you will have all the time to grind that you want, for the people that enjoyed creating perfect units in awakening. This way, both sides of the grinding debate would be fairly satisfied and they would have a cool new game mechanic to boot.

Just a thought I had, but I think it could work really well.

One thing I think would be cool that would also limit in-game grinding would be to have a sense of time. Running to and from various continents when the world is about to end doesn't make much sense, and detracts from the sense of urgency In the story. So what I was thinking is that before certain missions, you would be allowed a certain number of turns to grind. You would have a set number of battles you can enter before a chapter, and once you run out of time, you would have to proceed with the story. If you don't use all of your turns to grind then they will stack with the next ones you receive. So there would also be some strategy in deciding when to grind. Of course, for chapters that happen immediately one after another there will be no grinding time regardless of how much time you have. This would maintain a sense of urgency and I think would help the setting feel more realistic. They could also make the amount of grinding time a reward for doing well in battle, similar to how bonus experience was awarded in fe 9 and 10. The more turns you take the less time you will have to grind, for example.

Of course, after you beat the game you will have all the time to grind that you want, for the people that enjoyed creating perfect units in awakening. This way, both sides of the grinding debate would be fairly satisfied and they would have a cool new game mechanic to boot.

Just a thought I had, but I think it could work really well.

This is probably the best way to go about limiting grinding, and keeping story presence, with a world map still around.

I want to keep a world map, but it needs to be adjusted so the story isn't taken away or detracted from due to being able to yell "TIMEOUT" and then grind exp on the otherside of the map when the characters are currently in the middle of chasing/being chased between two chapters of the story.

I like the easy nature of shopping and grinding, but it needs to be handled better for sure.