So...where's all the incest?

Erik Twice

Thanks for the clarification on what the 20th Anniversary book implies, as I felt the same way as BrightBow above-- why even GO there if it wasn't intentional?

I never felt like the conversation between Claude and Sylvia ever felt that odd.

Sylvia:

“Hello, Reverend Claude!”

Claude:

“Hm? And who might you be?”

Sylvia:

“I’m Sylvia.”

Claude:

“Miss Sylvia? What seems to be the problem? Did you run across some bandits, perhaps?”

Sylvia:

“…What?”

Claude:

“Well, it’s just that… I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you’re in your underwear.”

Sylvia:

“Huh!? Don’t tell me you’ve never seen a dancer before! This is my dancin’ outfit. It’s jus’ like you wearin’ a robe.”

Claude:

“Is that so? But, you must be awfully cold.”

Sylvia:

“Not at all. I’m burnin’ up in this. You see, my heart is on fire!”

Claude:

“Dancing is that enjoyable, is it?”

Sylvia:

“Yes! I want to do it for the rest of my life!!”

Claude:

“Really? How do your parents feel about that?”

Sylvia:

“I’m an orphan. This man took me in when I was real little, an’ raised me to be a dancer. But he was really mean! He would hit me when I didn’t even do anythin’. Anyway, I had enough, and I left him last year for good!”

Claude:

“That’s horrible! I feel for you. You see, I have a younger sister. If she’s still alive, she’d be around your age.”

Sylvia:

“You have a sister?”

Claude:

“Yes. But she was abducted when she was just a baby. I’ve been searching for her all these years, but still no sign of her.”

Sylvia:

“Ohhh! I bet your sister is real elegant an’ beautiful an’ all. Nothin’ like me.”

Claude:

“That’s not true! I find you very attractive, and you have a grace all of your own.”

Sylvia:

“Really!?”

Claude:

“Of course. I’d never tell a lie.”

Sylvia:

“Wow! No one’s ever said anythin’ so nice to me! Er.. I feel funny inside… You are… so kind!”

It just feels more like he's building trust. Yeah she would be about your age, but it's more building a support, basically I feel for your rough life and I imagine my sister would have had that kind of problems too.

why even GO there if it wasn't intentional?

I suspect that, by the time that the artbook was released, the developers felt squicked out and retconed their relaitionship to decrease the amount of incest. (how long after fe4 did this artbook come out?)

I never felt like the conversation between Claude and Sylvia ever felt that odd.

Sylvia:

“Hello, Reverend Claude!”

Claude:

“Hm? And who might you be?”

Sylvia:

“I’m Sylvia.”

Claude:

“Miss Sylvia? What seems to be the problem? Did you run across some bandits, perhaps?”

Sylvia:

“…What?”

Claude:

“Well, it’s just that… I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you’re in your underwear.”

Sylvia:

“Huh!? Don’t tell me you’ve never seen a dancer before! This is my dancin’ outfit. It’s jus’ like you wearin’ a robe.”

Claude:

“Is that so? But, you must be awfully cold.”

Sylvia:

“Not at all. I’m burnin’ up in this. You see, my heart is on fire!”

Claude:

“Dancing is that enjoyable, is it?”

Sylvia:

“Yes! I want to do it for the rest of my life!!”

Claude:

“Really? How do your parents feel about that?”

Sylvia:

“I’m an orphan. This man took me in when I was real little, an’ raised me to be a dancer. But he was really mean! He would hit me when I didn’t even do anythin’. Anyway, I had enough, and I left him last year for good!”

Claude:

“That’s horrible! I feel for you. You see, I have a younger sister. If she’s still alive, she’d be around your age.”

Sylvia:

“You have a sister?”

Claude:

“Yes. But she was abducted when she was just a baby. I’ve been searching for her all these years, but still no sign of her.”

Sylvia:

“Ohhh! I bet your sister is real elegant an’ beautiful an’ all. Nothin’ like me.”

Claude:

“That’s not true! I find you very attractive, and you have a grace all of your own.”

Sylvia:

“Really!?”

Claude:

“Of course. I’d never tell a lie.”

Sylvia:

“Wow! No one’s ever said anythin’ so nice to me! Er.. I feel funny inside… You are… so kind!”

It just feels more like he's building trust. Yeah she would be about your age, but it's more building a support, basically I feel for your rough life and I imagine my sister would have had that kind of problems too.

Although that is all silvia and claude appear to be conscious of, they probably should have figured out how the two back stories they just told sound suspiciously like someone kidnaped a girl, trained her as a dancer to make money off her, and then lied to her about the fact. In other words, claude and silvia act like elan in this order of the stick comic, only played for squick instead of comedy:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html

Edited by sirmola

It's pretty ironic that Claude/Sylvia's conversation about Claude's long-lost sister always ends up being the conversation that makes them lovers in my games.

Also, Altenna and Arion are technically very distantly related, as Dain and Noba were siblings. It's not enough to stand up to FE4's other shenanigans, but still worth mention. I've only briefly skimmed the topic, but I don't believe anyone's mentioned Lakche and Shanan's inherently high love base and decent love growth. They're direct first cousins. Ishtar and Julius are also distant cousins, as Hilda has Minor Fala blood (even though in-game neither Ishtar nor Ishtore have that blood). I recall at one point people theorizing that Hilda was Alvis' sister, which would make Julius and Ishtar first cousins.

It's pretty ironic that Claude/Sylvia's conversation about Claude's long-lost sister always ends up being the conversation that makes them lovers in my games.

Also, Altenna and Arion are technically very distantly related, as Dain and Noba were siblings. It's not enough to stand up to FE4's other shenanigans, but still worth mention. I've only briefly skimmed the topic, but I don't believe anyone's mentioned Lakche and Shanan's inherently high love base and decent love growth. They're direct first cousins. Ishtar and Julius are also distant cousins, as Hilda has Minor Fala blood (even though in-game neither Ishtar nor Ishtore have that blood). I recall at one point people theorizing that Hilda was Alvis' sister, which would make Julius and Ishtar first cousins.

It is worth mentioning that the timeline in the prolog shows that the crusadors lived around a hudred years before gen 1, implying that they were the great grandfathers of the gen 1 characters. Thus, all that shared holy blood implies is a shared great grandfather. I don't think that any culture considers a shared great grandfather to be incest. In altenia and arion's case, it is even less of an issue, as they are gen two characters and dain and noba were the siblings, so they share great-great-great grandparents, which is not incest at all.