Spriter's Resource

Lenh

Is there an easy way to get into custom spriting that isn't based off of previous fire emblem characters?

Depends on what you're wanting to do, if you not making Fire Emblem characters then it's pretty obvious you wouldn't try to use them as a base. I'd say the best way is to draw a basic sketch of what you want then color it normally after that you can simply cut out the details you don't want such as some hard lines in favor of just using color transitions in areas you feel don't need those hard line and decide how you want your colors to blend. For instance whether you want a hard edge between colors, a gradient to smooth transitions or a dither style which also serves as a transition, but without the use of a middle color between the two.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there an easy way to get into custom spriting that isn't based off of previous fire emblem characters?

Sadly, about the only advice I can give is to learn how to draw.

IMO, start with splices and work your way up to full custom. Assuming you're like most everyone else and don't have much spriting experience, if you don't get the basics down to pat, first, it'll be a struggle starting from scratch.

Hey, nbd. Post your stuff on the forums and we'll give you some pointers on how to improve. A lot of people here are pretty new to it, or have only been spriting a couple years at the most, so they're pretty good about giving advice on starting out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BwdYeti has a couple tutorials:

> older

> newer

I checked those, but they only talk about making an idle frame, and they're geared for people who have some basic knowledge on this stuff. They also don't talk about map sprites at all.

But thanks for trying to help. I'll just try and figure things out myself. Maybe someone will do a tutorial someday.

Edited by Frozen_Blades81

• 3 months later...

I no longer have a PC to speak of, and was wondering if anyone has tried any of the art apps available for Wii U, 3DS, or Vita. I just want to make splices again, I've been without a comp for so long, and mug splices were my only outlet for my modicum of creativity.

I assume all of the available apps have at least one glaring flaw that will prevent me from being able to splice mugs, but figured I'd at least ask in case anyone else is in my shoes and/or tried one of these apps out of curiosity.

If there's a more appropriate place to ask this, I apologize for taking up space in this thread. It looked like the place to ask.

(This could probably merit its own thread.)

It doesn't take much computer power to run the programs you can make splices with (just a bit of memory space for the big source sheet and some screen space, then Gimp/MSPaint), so maybe you can bum a free computer off someone who's looking to upgrade?

Aside from that, Inchworm (3DS) is good for pixelart. It seems promising for splicing as it's pretty much MS paint with some animation features, but again to import any source mugs you'd need a computer(?)

I really recommend Colors for doodling/painting (even though you can't splice in it, it's pretty much a mini-Photoshop for 3DS/Vita/WiiU). There's also a camera feature so you technically could camera->trace->takeAdifferentPicture->splice in the new picture. It's not pixel level like Inchworm but might satisfy the mixup factor a little more?

I'd say try out any medium/program you can get your hands on and see if there's anything else you like.

I was thinking about giving Pixel Paint on Wii U a try, its only $3-$4. I figured I'd have to take a little bit of a shot in the dark, but I appreciate the input. If I see success with an app, I'll make a topic about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no I wasn't talking about battle sprites lol, I meant that I recolor my mugs using the colors he used in his free mugs.

i don't understand at all

are you *asking permission to use the palette of open source material*?

(the answer is obviously yes-- first, it's open source; second, nobody will really know/care that you took the palettes from somewhere else unless that color ramp doesn't match at all to others in your graphics)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

(Added SweetBasil's compilation to the main thread. Thanks for building that!)

Also added the Rendera link. Might back-pedal on that to keep to what people around here confirm they actually use/like? Particularly since Rendera's sourceforge library latest update was last year (while the author promised an overhaul), and I'm not certain what it provides over Gimp or other Paint clones.

There's many tools out there for pixel-art (Aseprite, GrafX2, iDraw3, Photoshop, Fireworks, etc.), figure most times it ends up being whatever you've grown comfortable with / is available.

You can 'Report' yourself and just note that you made a post in error or something. (At least that's how I've done it.)

If you just added the 6 and 8 recolors, ty for those too, now it's even more useful ^^ if those were there before whoops sorry.

Those recolored are legit very helpful. I will be using that resource. Thanks for that Sweet Basil.

I'm glad you found it helpful :P:

You're welcome.

You can 'Report' yourself and just note that you made a post in error or something. (At least that's how I've done it.)

If you just added the 6 and 8 recolors, ty for those too, now it's even more useful ^^ if those were there before whoops sorry.

Thanks! I posted the missing mugs (FE6/FE8) but then I realized I could just edit the older post that was already linked in the OP. I didn't know we could edit older posts lol.