Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown III ~Crossover Chaos~

ErrantDShepherd

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT, NEW ENTRY

j8wra.gif

Ahri, the 9-tailed Fox, from League of Legends.

However, doing 9 tails looks like crap, and her model in-game only allows you to see one tail when she is moving, so I decided to remove the other 8. :X

I was originally going to submit this still, but I realized I forgot something important!

[The one on the right is a valid 15-color sprite, the one on the left is 28 or something.]

Her ball. What Kitsune would be complete without her Hoshi no Tama?

And, well, it was simple enough to animate a little bobble so I did so. But mostly I could not decide what color I wanted her ball to be so I made the frames so I could pick. And then I got indecisive, so I just threw them ALL together. Because... I dunno.

So have a bunch of different colors for the hoshi no tama.

Skin/Goldish

Hair/Dark blue

Tail/Gray

Shirt/sleeve red

~28 color, proper light-blue

Large reference

woNW0Tt.jpg

--------

3MjdLdp.png

I'm not satisfied with that, though. It looks insufficiently 'battle ready' to me. And the hair looks derpy.

Clearly I need to redo it while referencing some actual FE sprites, but Nekkuuuu.

Since I accidentally misremembered the competition I did this too.

refs

http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/worldendswithyouthe/sheet/605/

http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/worldendswithyouthe/sheet/1687/

[Lleu/Lugh's head was used to frame the hair, but after I did the hair I erased the face to draw my own]

-----

Dunban looks like he's leaning really far forward. It looks nice... and a painful pose to stand in, which kind of seems to be contradictory to the point of having his sword rest on the ground.

I mean, it's beautiful aside, it just looks kind of awkward to me.

Seriously, the detail is awesome.

Edited by Eliwan

can I make barrack obama

thats a crossover right

EDIT

AH SHIET I MADE THE PERFECT THING FOR THIS BUT ITS OLD WORK

THEME/TOPIC: "Crossover Chaos" sprite a pre-existing non-Fire Emblem video-game character in Fire Emblem style.

-either translated into the style itself, or reimagined/redesigned into a Fire Emblem class type.

(Examples: Link in FE style, Sonic the Mercenary Hedgehog... etc... Have fun with it! :D )

Sorry bud... but sounds like a great entry for a later contest? :D

@ Etain

cool cool... It still kinda fits FE style... Sorta, for me. Guess it will be up to the voters on that one. :\

Still pretty damned cool! :D

@ Eliwan

Cool... Nice to see you joining in. Hope to see you in more of these. :)

@ Loki

Looking nice... On Edgeworth though...

"OBJECTION!" ...no Phoenix love? ;_;

@ Toa

FALCON ENTRY! DX (I falcon-love it... XD )

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

cd1cbc5688.png

HYPER RAINBOW--!! Katamari, because the King is too much for me.

They're a pair because why would the King of All Cosmos have to dirty his fabulous hands when he could have the Prince do it, instead?

It's not even FE style anymore, but I've sunk way too much time into this to not enter it.

the crotchial area. i feel so...

@ Loki

Looking nice... On Edgeworth though...

"OBJECTION!" ...no Phoenix love? ;_;

but its Dunban

My, what a big rainbow he has!

Uh so... Since these are battle sprites, animations are okay, right...?

Yes. Its not a seperate category at the moment, but there are currently no rules against animations. (unless I guess we find they are breaking the contest?)

the crotchial area. i feel so...

but its Dunban

I was referring to your conversation about Dunban, Virion and Edgeworth.

Someone should do Miles Edgeworth.

;)

Yeeeah, if people say my Keldeo isn't FE style, that guy certainly isn't. xP

He's done quite well though, so good job!

Edited by Anacybele

I've worked on my entry but I doubt it'll be accepted since it's the similar person on my older work.

if I can't enter him guess I'll work for an alternative then.

Confused by what you mean... Is it an edit/continuation of something you were working on before the contest? If so then yes, it would need to be a new work to keep things fair for everyone. :)

cd1cbc5688.png

HYPER RAINBOW--!! Katamari, because the King is too much for me.

They're a pair because why would the King of All Cosmos have to dirty his fabulous hands when he could have the Prince do it, instead?

It's not even FE style anymore, but I've sunk way too much time into this to not enter it.

Dat glorious bulge <3

Confused by what you mean... Is it an edit/continuation of something you were working on before the contest? If so then yes, it would need to be a new work to keep things fair for everyone. :)

it's not an edit of an old work, I made it new, just for this competition. I happen to make the similar guy on my older.

@vilkalizer: I think I know who to vote now.

v6xpZJl.gif

(Double-sized)

dpUZtbJ.jpg

I may like this game just a little too much.

I may also have spent a little too much time on it.

...And yeah, that's 16 colours with background.

That is amazing! :o This is easily one of my favourites thus far. :)

Not to be rude or anything (I swear), but maybe animations shouldn't be allowed in these contests. They seem like they'd always have an edge over the non-animated stuff because of having more to see. Like with vilkalizer's entry, we get to see two different sprites as well as the animation instead of just one, non-moving sprite. And some of us don't have any animation skills or the programs needed for it.

Not that the entry is bad or anything, not at all. It's very good. It's just that being fair was emphasized when my entry for the previous contest was rejected, so I figured fairness is the most important thing here (I did eventually learn why my entry wasn't allowed/fair and understood).

Idk if I agree to that

and here's why!

Firstly there's no rule against it, but that's a tiny nitpick, so I won't get into that.

Secondly, if the contest is about artistic creativity more than who wins, I think animations should be encouraged above all else. Battle sprites can get creative, shore, but animations take it to another level.

Thirdly, saying that some people don't have the skill for it is kind of a pointless statement. There are plenty of skill level differences in these contests already, even this one, and animations aren't really about skill, they're about time. They take a lot of time to make. Anyone can make an animation, some people just make them faster. Vikalizer's isn't very complicated, it just looks neat because of how it moves.

And lastly! Saying people don't have the programs for it is just being lazy. There are plenty of GIF makers available through ye olde googles, and if you can't find a good one, asking one of the many animators on the site what they use and how they do it will solve the problem of not knowing how to make it real quick.

I would give you the point about seeing two different sprites, but then Etain's entry would need changing, because it also has two different sprites in it, despite still accomplishing the theme.

And that's why I think it's fair :3

Vilkalizer shouldn't be penalized for putting extra (and I mean extra, sincerely, animations take time) effort into their entry.

Edited by I have opinions

Those programs cost money.

And exactly, animations take things to another level that a basic battle sprite can't. That's why I think they'd always have the advantage.

Etain's second sprite is something very tiny and minor. Neither of vilkalizer's sprites are a minor part of the entry.

There are tons of free gif makers online, Idk what you're talking about.

Custom battlesprites are harder to make than splices, should we ban those so everyone has an equal chance?

I for one support our new animation overlords, if you have the skill you should by all means use all of it.

Edited by Toa

it's not an edit of an old work, I made it new, just for this competition. I happen to make the similar guy on my older.

@vilkalizer: I think I know who to vote now.

@ singularity

If you made the current sprite completely new, with no parts/edits of the other one then it should be fine. The point is to encourage creativity and keep things fair... Sounds like it should be good. But thanks for checking! ;)

-----

On animations, I am more of the mindset that Toa and I have Opinions have stated... Animations to me seem to be encouraging creativity, which yeah, is more the point than winning in my eyes.(I mean, hey its nice to win these comps, but isn't development and the challenge kinda a huge part too?)

...if we do have enough of a debate on animations though, we can put up a poll about it in the ideas and discussion thread.

Currently I am uninclined to put Animations in its own category unless we get more animated entries. In my estimation, its just focusing ones talents in a different way...

Using the two entries mentioned for example(noy saying this is my actual vote or not): Etain for instance has a super detailed larger sprite, vilk has a nicely animated but smaller less detailed sprite. If I had to judge solely between them on which was the better sprite I would probably still go with Etain over Vilk's because of the better detail and proportions. Others may find the animation more appealing, that is their prerogative as voters to judge with their own eyes and decide what elements make up... The best sprite.

I would ask that people do try to not just vote for one entry based on a single element like "its big and detailed" or "its animated nicely"... Those are both good elements, but not only factors in best overall sprite? That said... This is a FREE vote, so yeah... Just use good judgment? ;p

(That make sense?)

Well, it's about time I decided to enter one of these.

My entry is based off my MC from an RPG I made. Her name's Laine. She looks a bit like Lightning from FF13.

laine%20base.png

Original size.

laine%20base%20x3.png

x3 size.

Reference

LaineDurandal.png

Yes, this in-game art I did of her was based off Lyn's.

That's really cool Luchino! :D ...but unfortunately not so sure if it fits the theme. :(

My entry is based off my MC from an RPG I made. Her name's Laine. She looks a bit like Lightning from FF13.

THEME/TOPIC: "Crossover Chaos" sprite a pre-existing non-Fire Emblem video-game character in Fire Emblem style.
-either translated into the style itself, or reimagined/redesigned into a Fire Emblem class type.

(Examples: Link in FE style, Sonic the Mercenary Hedgehog... etc... Have fun with it! :D )

I believe unfortunately being a MC from an RPG you made yourself it falls more into the category of an Original Character than a Pre-Existing Video-Game character...

...which sucks... 'cause I like the entry, and love seeing you participate in this round. : [

(also worried including characters from non-published entities might open some sort of Pandora's box...)

Perhaps the rules should include the phrase "Published" to clear up any confusion? Or do people want to let Luchino's entry in anyways? ...need some feedback on this. >.<