Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown III ~Crossover Chaos~

ErrantDShepherd

Ana, comparing a blatant ignore of the rules (Reusing sprites is against the rules) to maybe a very slight difference of the rules "Try to emulate FE style with a non-FE style" is simply intellectual dishonesty. Get over yourself. Merc Lord might not be a perfect emulation of the style, but really you're just trying to do that thing again where you act all hurt and surprised when people call you out on this bullshit. Trying to lash out at someone unrelated is such a mature way to conduct yourself.

That last sentence was sarcasm, by the way. I've noticed you're a bit thick when it comes to that.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fire Emblem style is pretty hard to determine even by looking at Vanilla.

The GK animation is so stupidly smooth you could argue that it doesn't belong in fire emblem when you compare it to like, the cav.

And determining fire emblem style for custom sprites that get passed cyclops largeness/humans gets even harder to determine what exactly fe style is.

if the perspective is right, if its the same outline and similar color 16 scheme. Then that's like the safest bet to determine if a sprite 'fits' the style.

Point is, FE style is pretty ambiguous esp when you have sprites that range from the Archer to the freakin Demon King.

kay cya

Well then, I guess I once again disagree with how these contests are being run. I don't like the constant deadline extensions or allowing entries that obviously break the rules (from what I can see. And before anyone says anything, I came to understand why one of my entries was rejected). But fine, I'm out once this contest is over. I'm tired of this drama happening over and over.

Edited by Anacybele

Thanks for that extra clarification Ghast on FE style. Think it summed up my thoughts on it as well. :)

I try to be balanced and objective in hosting, I think Lenh had a good take on this... "if you have a problem with someone else's submission, PM the host."

Otherwise worry about your own entry. You don't have to agree with my decisions, or even participate. I would ask however that you respect the other posters, rather than go after them in a public forum trying to get them disqualified.

Ana...literally, the only drama I have seen in any of these contest threads so far has all been started by a single person. You.

I'm tired of this drama happening over and over.

...so are we. :\

You can do whatever you want Ana. But if you keep going after either other people, or myself, within these Battle Sprite Contest threads, it will not matter if you decide to participate or not. However, if you do decide you want to re-enter at some point, or actually want your entry included in the voting this round, let me make something clear...

If you keep going after people or going on arguing, you will be banned from the contest, and your entries will not be included within the voting, FE style or not.

----

So... lemme reiterate that for everyone (Though no one else really seems to need to hear this) worry about your own entry. "if you have a problem with someone else's submission, PM the host."

k? Thanks... looking forward to some more cool entries! :D

Good thread for people to check out... Thanks to the peeps in the ideas thread for bringing it back to my attention.

Spriting and Competition Notice

Some relevant parts from that thread...

There has been a lot of arguing amongst members in these forums (especially the competition sub-forum). I know that people can disagree and small quarrels are not a big deal but the sad part about this is the argument always gets out of hand. This is not only a frustration for myself and your fellow members but it is also thread derailment which is against the code of conduct.

The point of the competition threads are to enter in the competitions, to give critique to those who enter, and to vote for your favourite entry, not to bicker about who isn't following the rules of the competition. It is up to the person in charge of the competition to decide who does or doesn't follow the rules, not the participators and other members. If you want to have heated arguments with each other or think an entry is breaking the rules then do so via the personal messenger or some other form of private conversation.

"Artists, please be aware that if you post artwork, sprites or graphics in this forum, they are on display and up for critique. Please be respectful of those who have taken their time to offer you suggestions and tips. If you have a problem excepting commentary from others in a mature fashion, or do not want critique, please consider posting your art elsewhere."

...this also applies to just posting and commentary/discussion in general. Also, while some posters may be frustrating or prone to getting into quarrels, piling on them may be cathartic but is ultimately not very helpful, and unlikely to help de-escalate the situation. If someone seems to be just constantly derailing these threads, I would ask that you try the following: use the report function, PM the host or a mod if things get that bad, or just straight up ignore said poster if necessary.

Anyways... Lets try not to be dicks to each other, but also not make a big deal over small stuff either. ;)

/notamod (Butstillthehost)

Any further questions or concerns about your entry, someone else's entry, rules or whatever can be PMed to the current host!(That's me Errant, currently) ...or posted in the feedback and discussion thread here to avoid further thread derailment.

----

Kinda interesting nobody has tried to do the redesign of a character into an FE class yet... I have a concept in mind with a redesign, that hopefully should be fun if I can get the time to finish it up. :)

Looking forward to seeing what we'll get entered next! Good luck to all on your own entries! :D

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

You would be more than welcome to! :D

Would be very interested to see what you come up with. 'Sides, entries are usually more fun than arguments anyways... ;p

I'm actually really loving the variety of games people have been drawing from... Some cool games and cool designs I have not really tried, but some of these sprites and the reference art are making me wanna check them out! :0

24b6e4ed25.png

EDIT: Updated entry with Tibbers. Sadly, because of time, I couldn't add in awesome flames and shit, but at least he is present and accountable.

I was going to have a an animation done, but alas I won't ever get it done in time. So I'll just make it a personal project after this contest closes. lol. Anyways, here's Annie, the Dark Child! Was also going to add Tibbers, but I didn't want to get crucified for having more than one character. >> no shade, no shade

giphy.gif

[spoiler= reference]2874.jpg

Edited by Alphα

I have no idea what you're talking about, but please do it because I'm lonely on this cross and the only person I have to talk to is some hippie looking dude who keeps saying things like "they know not what they do" and it's depressing and kinda creepy at least three people have posted multiple characters already.

I would consider Tibbers from that picture kinda like Mario and Yoshi... Or the Katamari Damacy dudes... Or even Captain Falcon and his Flames?

...up to the artist IMO, could be considered a joint piece or separate characters/effects/sprites.

My thought is if you can make a good claim to them being a joint piece... Vs like doing two characters from the same game that are not really closely connected... Like say doing Squirtle and Charmander is kinda lame and would seem like trying to won by quantity... Whereas doing a Pokemon and their trainer can be considered a joint piece.

So yeah... Don't abuse it and put a bunch of various tangentially related sprites sprites, but if your piece has a duo or something as an integral piece... Or a mount, effect or vehicle... Why not?

----

Make sense? Totally out to lunch? :0

Its up for discussion, but unless we find something is blatantly unfair or skewing the contest I don't want to squash people's creativity, those are my thoughts... But seriously if people start intensly arguing/quarreling over this and derailing the thread again... I will not be a happy host. >:|

Edit: if you see it getting to that point, please take it to the ideas and discussion thread. Thanks! :D

QcYQRCa.gif

Sorry for not being FE-Style enough, too busy PIERCING THE HEAVENS

Pretty sure this is 16 colors total, but I'm still not sure and I don't care I slave all day for this

reference again

[spoiler=reference for reference]

gurren_verka_15.jpg

Edited by Mercenary Lord

AqKO8gr.gif

Sorry for not being FE-Style enough, too busy PIERCING THE HEAVENS

Pretty sure this is 16 colors total, but I'm still not sure and I don't care I slave all day for this

reference again

[spoiler=reference for reference]

gurren_verka_15.jpg

Hnnnnnnnnnggggggggg

This is beautiful <3

And I decided to count the colors for shits and giggles and yeah, you've got 15 + the background~

Nice. I am totally not going to finish my entry in time...(kid still not asleep...) But hey, at least the rest of the entries are awesome. >.<

Still a Lil over an hour for those who have time. Voting thread will be up as soon as I can in the morning. ;D