About to dip into PoR for the 1st time

Marginal gains in Bexp compared to what the game already provides you (especially doing the previous chapter in stealth mode) is hardly useful.

The convenience of killing them + CExp is more worth it.

Yeah, it's more convenient to kill them, but in no way is a tiny amount CExp more valuable than 50 BExp in early game, which was your original statement. More BExp is more BExp, and most people who play the game for the first time don't go stealth on chapter 10.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...leveling with Bexp is so bad I'm actually surprised my units don't decrease stats per level up.

And unlike FE4 you can't send someone like Ardan into the base's arena to burn away RNs

So in short, boned to play FE9 PoR like its by default 0% growths

What do you mean? You can just reset until you get like a 6-7 stat level up. Growths don't change a single bit when you BEXP level ups, you just got screwed quite a bit.

Edited by Lord Raven

BEXP level-ups aren't any different from normal ones, except it's easier to distribute the Knight Ward and bands with BEXP, so they're actually better.

1) I don't believe you get Knight Ward or bands in a first game w/o a previously completed save file.

2) In the 'crows-attack-ship' chapter, how to you trigger Jill to talk to Ike? She just flies around trying to tank the enemy birds, & Ike doesn't have the option to talk to her.

you get the knight ward on the next chapters

jill should just fly up to ike by herself if you put him in range of her.

Dear people who insist PoR is a easy FE even on HM:

Do you ignore all treasures/Stefan/bexp(aka don't kill ANY enemy except boss)?

Because up to chapter 15 the game give you 5 mounted units with 2mov/turn on desert but a grand total of 2 non-healer-only magic units! (which I mistakenly did not level so they're only Level 7)

Not like I'd bring Astrid anyways as she'll need ALL the combined Bexp from Chapter 1-14 to make her competently usable

Edited by omglmaowtf

Astrid is fine without that much BEXP if you have her kill some Ravens in her join chapter. She gets like 100 exp per kill and has an effective weapon vs them.

Most of the loot on C15 is kinda pointless, but if you really want to get it all Jill, Marcia, Lethe and Mordecai are more than competant enough to deal with what enemies you need to whilst Volke and Sothe get the hidden items. If you want to beat C15 with all the loot, maximum BEXP, then that is substantially harder but it's not like you have to actually do it, and judging the game's difficulty as a whole based on some outlier optional scenarios is misrepresentative.

Having said that, I've done it before and didn't think it was too difficult. Challenging maybe, but not something that was a big obstacle. Admittedly I had a trained Soren though, so that probably hinders you.

Edited by Irysa

Lol Astrid takes like 25 BEXP for a full level up and you have hundreds (if not a few thousand) by the time you get her. She can also chip scrubs for like 33 Exp and kill Ravens for a full level up. Training her is actually really fun.

In the desert, the only things worth getting is the boots and Stefan. It's easy to do the pacifist clear if you don't aim for everything. Jill and Marcia do need to be promoted though.

Use unequipped chumps to lure enemies around, have a promoted flier carry a Laguz to Stefan. Volke has enough bulk to dissuade stuff attacking him or at least take one hit, whilst Sothe can get the items from the bottom half of the map and be relatively safe. Also because the AI in PoR prioritises healing itself at low HP, you can forge low MT weapons to save yourself an EP as they'll go off to heal or something instead of killing stuff.

Edited by Irysa

Base Sothe can survive a hit from 2 Ravens IIRC. Volke is even more durable. Mind you some of the enemies don't move unless you're in their attack range. Like you can avoid that far left raven altogether. It just sucks because you can't check their range until they're transformed. Laguz guard is your friend.

But who do you sent to get boots in a small area guarded by like 5 laguz, a Volke Bexped till at least level 19? Sothe Bexped till at least level 19?

Or do you forgo the hundreds of Bexp & just kill the laguz off?

I forgo the BEXP and kill whatever gets in my way. No way am I giving myself a huge headache just for some BEXP.

Levant Caprice: forgo 1,060 bexp? Do later chapters give potentially many times that amount, EACH; or do later units come with bases/levels so good they don't need to be fed any?

Ownagepuffs: until C15 you only get one Laguzguard.

So let me get this straight: I should have fore-known & prepped for C15 right from C1? And trained

-Soren, Volke, & Sothe (maybe healer Mist/Rhys also) until they have 17 speed and 16 Def?

-Marcia & Jill to at least 21/1 promoted?

What are the other later chapters I should note of & prep my units/equip for?

Laguz guard is your friend for whoever is taking on Muarim with the Laguz Lance. The other flier should be unequipped.

C10 is the only other map to prep for and you've passed that already.

Volke and Sothe don't have to he trained and Jill/Marcia only have to be promoted for the lowest turn count, nothing wrong with taking a bit longer. Some guy on this forum managed to do it with just a barely trained Marcia and other units.

Levant Caprice: forgo 1,060 bexp? Do later chapters give potentially many times that amount, EACH; or do later units come with bases/levels so good they don't need to be fed any?

Ehhh, it's more that I consider no amount of BEXP to make up for the headache that pacifism would be (and the part where if it's JUST BEXP, the deal's off anyway), as well as the latter. Well, that, and the fact that it's not really that much more than the CEXP anyhow.

Edited by Levant Caprice

I usually forgo the bexp on chapter 15. The cexp from the laguz is pretty nice, and it's not like you are going to have bexp problems later in the game. Chapter 17 gives a lot for completion, and afterwards the game gives more than enough bexp to you (especially chapters 19 and 22).

So should I restart from prologue & baby Soren, Volke, Sothe & Mist with feeding kills/bexp till they have 17 speed and 16 Def before going into C15?

Heck no. Getting all of the bexp isn't worth replaying 14 chapters. Do your best with what you have, and if you kill some laguz, it isn't a big deal.

Soren because desert; Volke & Sothe are thieves for Boots, Silver Blade, & Psychic. Last I checked, the Armories/Shops don't stock them, not at least before late, late endgame. I can forgo the gem & Guard scroll

Also, are there units post-c15 that come with bases/levels so good they don't need any bexp/growths? (If I were to do the desert chapter kill-em-all instead)

Soren because desert; Volke & Sothe are thieves for Boots, Silver Blade, & Psychic. Last I checked, the Armories/Shops don't stock them, not at least before late, late endgame. I can forgo the gem & Guard scroll

Also, are there units post-c15 that come with bases/levels so good they don't need any bexp/growths? (If I were to do the desert chapter kill-em-all instead)

You don't need to train a magic user just for a desert map. Just tough it out with foot units. Don't bother training up Volke or Sothe. The exp you waste training them is far more valuable than the bexp from ch 15. They don't need to be trained to get the loot. Furthermore, it is still really easy to train growth units without the bexp from ch 15. You should have plenty of bexp already, and you will start to get a lot of it after ch 17. Or you could just baby them in-chapter like you would in any other FE game.

Yeah, you get some good pre-promotes coming up. You get one in ch 15, ch 18, and ch 20.

Edited by Zvarri!