Features you want to return/not return in FEif

ZemZem

Include:

- The link arena, similar to the one in Shadow Dragon (free battles where you can pick units and the map, against friends or the computer)

- A new art style (but that isn't happening)

- Music that sounds similar to pre-Awakening games (RPG style tunes, not ambient strategy themes)

- Villages, houses and arenas

- More variety in mission types

- More characters to recruit on the battlefield

- Magic triangle

- Better writing and more interesting story

Exclude:

- S support marriage and children during main game (make it only during character endings)

- Infinite re-classing that reverts back to level 1 each time

- Paid DLC (if the worldwide release ISN'T simultaneous. If it's aleady made before the game is localized, just include it for free)

- Pair up (replace with rescue command)

- Most skills (Revert back to sparse use as in Sacred Stones)

- The Avatar

- That annoying sound effect that plays whenever you start a battle in Awakening

We think alike, I agree with pretty much all of this. So far it looks promising and even if the game turns out to be a let down, it should definitely be an improvement over the disappointment that was Awakening.

Gods, I despised that game.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Include:

- Weapon Weight (but don't make female characters awful).

- Fire-Thunder-Wind trinity (or better yet, Radiant Dawn's double Trinity of Magic).

- Varied maps, both in goals and in terrain.

- Alternate routes (for extra replay value!)

- Yuka Tsujiyoko.

- Offensive staves.

- Enemy reinforcements that will make me wish I'd worn my brown pants.

- Varying promotion items.

- Sidequests! Not paralogues--proper sidequests with challenging trigger conditions, like FE5 and FE7.

- A Fire Emblem that isn't the Shield of Seals.

Exclude:

- the Lebensborn project

- Reclassing. Failing that, just let it be FE11/12's, not FE13's. That way I can safely ignore it.

- FE10's skills system

- Unlimited supports per character

- Griffons

Nerf:

- Pair up.

I'd like a scaling back of power overall, meaning lower stat-caps. I think battles should be won with an eclectic assortment of troops, not 1 or 2 god-units. I'd also like them to do away with reclassing (though I know this won't happen), to preserve unit identity and prevent min/maxing. At the very least, drop the FFT-esque means of skill acquisition. I wasn't a fan of pair-up in Awakening, and I hope they've improved it here.

There are so many other things I could want, and if I had any power over it, it would probably end up looking something like Thracia. But I try not to be set in my ways and am willing to embrace new ideas if they work well, so I'll remain optimistic whatever they decide until I'm able to see for myself.

Things I want to see:

-Character designs like Tellius. The art style of these games is sort of...eh. It's so...generic anime for the most part. FE10's designs looked more natural and like actual warriors. Of course, we've seen that this isn't the case, but at least the Nohr characters look pretty cool.

-A male manakete. Or an adult looking manakete. Heck, any kind of manakete besides the 12 year old girl who's a billion years old that we've seen half a dozen times. I don't really count Tiki from Awakening because she was one of those super-late prologue characters. I mean, come on! There's a thousand different things you could do with manaketes they just haven't done.

-Elevation. The numbers might need to be changed, but it really gave some depth to the maps. I actually like to see it expanded upon. Say, having a map in a building where you fight om multiple levels. Imagine if there was a seige tower attacking a city or something, and you had to infiltrate it and kill a boss on one of the higher floors you need to fight your way up to. But enemy reinforcements keep coming from the lower floors, so you need units down there to stave them off.

-Flexibility of supports from Awakening. I liked being able to have all those supports and unlock them in one go.

-Affinities. These made supports more unique and I'm sure they could work. I always liked weighing crit or might between two support options, so imagine how much you could expand on it! It'd at least be better than Awakening's support bonus calculator.

-Light magic.

-Separate weapon ranks for all the magic.

-The magic triangle and the magic triangle within the magic triangle.

-Brave tomes.

-Platonic endings. I thought it was cool that people could be friends, business partners, or fellow adventurers after the war. Heck, let's take it a little farther if we may and have some kind of...combined support endings possible. Like, say I like the idea of Amelia and Franz. But I don't want to prevent Amelia from reuniting with her mother. Why can I no make both happen? Why game? You has space for endings, ya? Why not make happen?

-A base. I'd enjoy seeing some of the features from Tellius to return for it, like base conversations. I also think supports happening in the base is a little more grounded and has a bit more potential than on the field ones. I'd not be opposed to a mix of the two if possible. Like, say, if two people reached B support at base, but one pissed off the other and they stopped talking to them. Maybe it's not until they're next to each other in battle and don't have time to avoid them that they have to hear the other out.

-The legacy weapons were neat. I'd maybe not have them be legacy weapons like Hector's Axe or something, but I liked the idea of more common weapons that had unique effects like boosting defense or whatever.

-Shinon, Gatrie and Volke. As legacy units. Except make them not suck.

-Make all the legacy units not suck, even if it means fewer of them.

-Some kind of multi-player would be nice.

-Soldiers would be pretty cool to see again. They made a nice, basic Lance unit the games typically lack.

-The Dread Fighter class, if it returns, looking like Alm in his official artwork. It was one of the few really good designs in Awakening, but the class in game just looked like a typical ninja.

-Other objectives and map designs. Awakening got very samey very quickly due to its repetitive map design.

-Balance.

I don't want to see:

-Going back to my first points that I wanted to see, fanservice. It makes me feel somewhat uncomfortable and the designs often suffer for it in my opinion.

-Armsthrift, Galeforce and Limit Breaker. These skills are so broken I feel like I have to put them on units, which sort of defeats the purpose of customizing their skills.

-Crappy DLC. Aside from the special classes, grinding ones and the one where you rescue the children (whatever they were called), the DLC maps felt sort of...lame. Even those maps were usually lame, but you had a reason fo play them. You couldn't even use the music outside the map! I guess you could reverse a lot of these statements and add them to the 'want' section.

-Weight, it was always sort of annoying.

-Dismounting, at least not that forces everyone to use swords.

-Fatigue.

-Two versions. I'm alright with buying two different games, but IS, please, make sure they feel like two different games.

-A clear good guy and bad guy. Unfortunately, it seems If will be something like this. I don't really see the argument about it being a 'grey' game. Who knows though, they could surprise me. Or not. That's also possible.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

WHAT I WANT TO RETURN

• S-Rank Supports (though not necessarily end in Marriage).
  • Variety of Objectives
  • Hidden Shops in particular maps
  • Second Seal Abuse
  • Weapon Weight (but also some dramatically overpowered weapons with minimal weight)
  • Magic Triangle (I think it'd be cool to have a physical triangle and a magic triangle, both of which could be learned)
  • World Map
  • Stealing
  • Downloadable Content (Because I don't mind spending the money)
  • Dread Fighter and Bride Class
  • Soldier/Halberdier class
  • Arena (as OP said, this would be a really cool online function)
  • Optional sidequest chapters
  • All of the old staves
  • Unique Character and boss conversations (to name a few from Sacred Stones...cormagXvalter, joshuaXCalleach, duesselXselena)
  • Unique Character's recruiting others (to name a few...ravenXpricilla, haarXjill)
  • Ballistas
  • Gigantic Roster
  • Anna
  • Grinding
  • Long and obnoxious cutscenes where Chrom eyefucks/seduces you
  • Crit/Skill activation cut ins
  • Multiple endings
  • Fanservice (Flame me)

WHAT I WANT TO STAY THE HELL AWAY

• Overpowered Pair Up (need some disadvantages, like the Rescue function in previous titles)
  • Character specific classes (Other than Manaketes/shapeshifters, Robin/Morgan being the only ones with access to Grandmaster class was stupid)
  • Base Conversations
  • Auto Promotion
  • Third tier classes (unless you can continuously reclass)
  • Marth
  • Biorhythm
  • Generic Bosses for each level
  • Knives & Crossbows
  • Fatigue
  • Shifting story lines
  • Obvious references to past games
  • Same 4 characters staying relevant while everyone else feels replaceable
  • ANOTHER GENERIC, UNFLAWED, ONE DIMENTIONAL LORD WHO FIGHTS FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE AND "NEVER CARED FOR FORMALITIES". DEAR GOD, GIVE US A HUMAN BEING, NOT SOME PERFECT KING WHO IS ALWAYS RIGHT

Nowi's personality isn't even drastically different to other Manakete girls, she dresses promiscuously but she maintains an overall bounciness and innocence.

It is different, actually. Nowi's bounciness and innocence is something she deliberately presents herself as, and particularly in her supports with Nah, she shows a far greater emotional maturity than most characters in the game (and even most real life people, I'd almost contend). She recognises the gravity of the situations they contend with, but rather than trying to keep a serious demeanour, she intentionally maintains a playful act because she knows that that's what provides the greatest benefit for the cast's emotional wellbeing.

It creates a really neat contrast with Nah, who acts incredibly serious on the outside when it's heavily implied she's very emotionally unhealthy and very immature (much like most of Awakening's child characters).

The past Manaketes, on the other hand, show far less depth than Nowi and Nah, and rather than going the Nowi route that being alive for centuries would instil a profound mental maturity, they instead mostly just act like they look. It seems that for them, they mature mentally at the same rate they mature physically, at least to an extent - though this may perhaps just be because of how secluded they all are.

anyway uh

I guess I want another neat well-characterised loli Manakete?

The only things I can think of off the top of my head:

Do- I do want the romance s supports, I feel more involved in the game if I have the option to have romance, but I don't want it to be a big focus either.

Don't- I don't want everyone to have a romantic s-support/ending. I want characters who want to stay single, just want to be your friend, are already spoken for, etc. Platonic.

Do- I do want to be able to wield a magic book, I love magic, used it all the time if feA.

Don't- I don't want kids. Ever again. Ever.

Do- I do want better characters. Awakening's characters felt rather bland to me. Quality over quantity.

Don't- I don't want black and white story telling. These are the bad guys, these are the good guys. I don't like that. For now I'll believe nintendo since they said there's two sides to every story, but there was a second side to the story in Fire Emblem Awakening and I still felt it was rather black and white.

WHAT I WANT TO RETURN

• S-Rank Supports (though not necessarily end in Marriage).
  • Variety of Objectives
  • Hidden Shops in particular maps
  • Second Seal Abuse
  • Weapon Weight (but also some dramatically overpowered weapons with minimal weight)
  • Magic Triangle (I think it'd be cool to have a physical triangle and a magic triangle, both of which could be learned)
  • World Map
  • Stealing
  • Downloadable Content (Because I don't mind spending the money)
  • Dread Fighter and Bride Class
  • Soldier/Halberdier class
  • Arena (as OP said, this would be a really cool online function)
  • Optional sidequest chapters
  • All of the old staves
  • Unique Character and boss conversations (to name a few from Sacred Stones...cormagXvalter, joshuaXCalleach, duesselXselena)
  • Unique Character's recruiting others (to name a few...ravenXpricilla, haarXjill)
  • Ballistas
  • Gigantic Roster
  • Anna
  • Grinding
  • Long and obnoxious cutscenes where Chrom eyefucks/seduces you
  • Crit/Skill activation cut ins
  • Multiple endings
  • Fanservice (Flame me)

WHAT I WANT TO STAY THE HELL AWAY

• Overpowered Pair Up (need some disadvantages, like the Rescue function in previous titles)
  • Character specific classes (Other than Manaketes/shapeshifters, Robin/Morgan being the only ones with access to Grandmaster class was stupid)
  • Base Conversations
  • Auto Promotion
  • Third tier classes (unless you can continuously reclass)
  • Marth
  • Biorhythm
  • Generic Bosses for each level
  • Knives & Crossbows
  • Fatigue
  • Shifting story lines
  • Obvious references to past games
  • Same 4 characters staying relevant while everyone else feels replaceable
  • ANOTHER GENERIC, UNFLAWED, ONE DIMENTIONAL LORD WHO FIGHTS FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE AND "NEVER CARED FOR FORMALITIES". DEAR GOD, GIVE US A HUMAN BEING, NOT SOME PERFECT KING WHO IS ALWAYS RIGHT

Basically said exactly what I was thinking. But I had to touch up on the "Marth". That got a good chuckle out of me lol

I mean in awakening, I know he was the Hero 1000 years in the past but he was mentioned a little too much. Not to mention those dlc chapters...

I want to have have Awakening's amount of supports but of a higher quality. But if I can only get one, I'll take fewer at higher quality.

I do want children to return, but one where we don't have quite the same control we do now, but definitely not around at the same time as their parents. Need to have two distinct stories.

I do want physical classes to reign supreme.

I don't want the infinite reclassing. Maybe even no reclassing. Maybe more like RD with three possible tiers but no sideways stuff.

I don't want invisible characters. Like characters you just recruit then they're out of the story. Even if that means fewer characters, I'd be ok with that if they got to have an actual role in the story.

I don't want my protagonist to have blue hair. NO MORE BLUE HAIR

The past Manaketes, on the other hand, show far less depth than Nowi and Nah, and rather than going the Nowi route that being alive for centuries would instil a profound mental maturity, they instead mostly just act like they look. It seems that for them, they mature mentally at the same rate they mature physically, at least to an extent - though this may perhaps just be because of how secluded they all are.

Not sure about Tiki or Fae, but to me Myrrh seems pretty mature. Just a bit shy and not good at talking to people due to living alone with her father in the Darkling Woods her whole life. She seems pretty wise in her supports, especially the ones with Saleh. I do agree that there needs to be more focus on their aging and how it affects them, though. A young girl manakete suddenly spouting off proverbs and/or speaking in Old English would be pretty funny to see.

Also, I'm joining the "no more blue hair lord" club. Maybe someday we can have another lord with normal hair color, as Leif is the only one right now. Kamui doesn't count as the default hair is white.

Edited by Espella

I hope biorhythm never comes back, I always forget about it lol.

I don't want the removal of some tools in harder modes like in radiant dawn, e.g. you can't see the movement and attack range of enemy units.

Basically said exactly what I was thinking. But I had to touch up on the "Marth". That got a good chuckle out of me lol

I mean in awakening, I know he was the Hero 1000 years in the past but he was mentioned a little too much. Not to mention those dlc chapters...

Haha, glad someone sees eye to eye with me on this subject! But I felt that Marth had a bit too much emphasis, and seriously, of all the lord to imitate...

Not sure about Tiki or Fae, but to me Myrrh seems pretty mature. Just a bit shy and not good at talking to people due to living alone with her father in the Darkling Woods her whole life. She seems pretty wise in her supports, especially the ones with Saleh. I do agree that there needs to be more focus on their aging and how it affects them, though. A young girl manakete suddenly spouting off proverbs and/or speaking in Old English would be pretty funny to see.

Yeah, Myrhh was on the more mature side too in retrospect. I think I was misremembering her somewhat as a sort of emotionless shy kid, forgetting about her supports.

Speaking of SS, I really want branched promotions again. Would be especially neat with third-tiers too; one base class could have end with a choice of three or four final classes, and given the more linear progression, it'd be significantly more balanced than Awakening's horizontal reclass system (although I wouldn't mind still being able to change classes within the same base class tree, as long as the skills aren't transferred).

Shesh, I didn't do a post on this ? Strange.

I don't want that reclassing crap to come back. I never want to see this EVER again. It just destroyed the series. Branched promotions is perfect though.

I want actual difficulty, not RNG manipulation, or over-buffed ennemies. That's not difficulty, that's BS. I want normal mode to be normal, and I want hard mode to be hard. None of that Lunatic BS.

I don't want the game to be a grinding game, where the only reason I'll have to is because of the DLCs. Being able to finish a game in 8 hours normally is already bad enough, but being forced to spent 70+ hours on grinding for the DLCs, or something else, is maybe worse.

I want more complicated objectives, as well as a larger variety of things you can do, like stealing, breaking walls, maybe even doors.

I don't want DLCs, that are just dialogue, especially if the dialogue 'given' are dictated by popularity, it is just cash-grab. In fact, I don't want DLCs at all.

That's pretty much it for what I really want/don't want.

Though I think that S-support are a good thing stat wise though, even if it it does narrows your options.

Edited by B.Leu

People are speculating that FEA style reclassing is back, since there appears to be a whopping 6 skill slots. I don't see a problem with that if they limit the number of second seals available to the player during the main story, at least more so than the number of second seals available in Awakening campaign.

Also, I'm joining the "no more blue hair lord" club. Maybe someday we can have another lord with normal hair color, as Leif is the only one right now. Kamui doesn't count as the default hair is white.

I'd like to see a completely emotionally mature, maybe even world-weary Manakete but in a child's body. Think Rika's true personality in Higurashi. Manaketes tend to be reclusive and rarely interact with humans. Maybe we could get one who has been watching humans warring for centuries and is getting real tired of their shit.

Not sure if it could be considered a feature, but I reckon something must be done about Galeforce, which felt more or less mandatory for the tougher DLC maps.

More varied mission objectives.

I loved Awakening's support conversations as a whole, but some are really lacking; a simple fix would be to simply cut down on the quantity and focus on the quality. I don't want child characters for the same reason; while I liked the concept of breeding a perfect super soldier of destruction, I don't think I'd like more time travel nor a time skip. Besides, the fact that the fathers' support conversations were more or less straight up copied is pretty boring, even though I understand exactly why they did it, obviously.

And perhaps the most important one of them all: no voice acting or grunts every single time someone starts a new sentence! Dear lord, it doesn't matter how good the voice acting is if the same lines and groans are repeated over and over like that. Sadly, judging by the trailer, it seems like it'll be back.

Not sure if it could be considered a feature, but I reckon something must be done about Galeforce, which felt more or less mandatory for the tougher DLC maps.

Definitely, yes. Becoming more Canto-esque and simply letting you move again rather than attack again would probably be ideal.

I hope that playable characters will have a portrait modification of sorts when they promote. Doesn't have to be anything major, maybe just some small touches here and there. Perhaps something akin to what the designers did in Berwick Saga? It was annoying to have the FE13 avatar's portrait not match his/her Grandmaster promotion.

I also hope enemy bosses all get unique overworld sprites, portraits and battle models. Awakening was really lazy in that regard.

Edited by Leif

Bosses should at the very least use recolors of each other. It really irked me that Awakening didn't do at least that.

Well, if we look at Ganz from the first Direct, we can see he has a unique overworld sprite and portrait, so there is some hope for unique bosses. He certainly doesn't look like a good guy or playable character to me, despite the fact that he has the green sprite color palette, showing him as an ally. Perhaps he is an NPC in the Nohr version and a boss in the Hoshido version?

More varied mission objectives.

I loved Awakening's support conversations as a whole, but some are really lacking; a simple fix would be to simply cut down on the quantity and focus on the quality. I don't want child characters for the same reason; while I liked the concept of breeding a perfect super soldier of destruction, I don't think I'd like more time travel nor a time skip. Besides, the fact that the fathers' support conversations were more or less straight up copied is pretty boring, even though I understand exactly why they did it, obviously.

And perhaps the most important one of them all: no voice acting or grunts every single time someone starts a new sentence! Dear lord, it doesn't matter how good the voice acting is if the same lines and groans are repeated over and over like that. Sadly, judging by the trailer, it seems like it'll be back.

All of this. I also want:

1. Soldier+Halberdier

2. More supports between characters of the same gender, i.e. Lon'qu and Basilio

3. Third-tier classes

All I want is for same-turn enemy reinforcements to be nerfed so they're always level 1 units with joke weapons. (Log, Ladle, etc.)

Or just not be in the game at all, either one.

What would be fantastic is if they added the Link Arena from the GBA games and gave it wifi. They'd probably have to make separate servers for the two versions because you can grind for xp in the Hoshido version.

Bosses should at the very least use recolors of eachothr. It really irked me that Awakening didn't do at least that.

Yeah that was weird. The GBA games reused sprites for the generic bosses but they were pretty much always recolored and FE8 on gave each boss their own portrait (and in FE9, their own palette on their battle model) so it's strange they took such a step back in that regard.