Features you want to return/not return in FEif

ZemZem

My single greatest hope is that they get rid of reinforcements that act first on the enemy turn. Getting shanked by an enemy you couldn't possibly know was going to spawn there is not fun. Preparing for an event which you could not forsee without a guide is not strategy. This goes double if they have weakness-hitting weapons or something, especially with how ridiculous those got in lategame of Awakening. Yes, I know I can play Normal Mode and avoid this, but I just find Normal Mode way too easy.

My hope of this changing is not too high because it's been three games in a row now that they've done this.

Others:

-I hope that supports, romance included do make their return. I hope that the options are more limited than "damn near every character of the opposite gender" as that made many romantic supports feel forced and repetitive. I could do without children, both because I find the eugenics mechanics to be stylistically bizarre and because you very much constrain the types of stories you can write if you insist on having a second generation.

-I'm fine with Pair Up coming back, but let's hope it's more balanced this time. The opportunity cost for pairing up was far too low considering the rewards, while the option to separate came at a turn cost, WTF. I did notice the hit/avo/crit/dodge bonuses seemed lower in the video, so that's a start.

-I'd love to see Shove and Rescue return. They were subtly solid tactical options to consider.

-I'd defenitely prefer more varied map objectives, such as defend/survive chapters.

-Branching promotions are great, keep 'em. I also quite like reclassing, but I won't shed tears if it's gone either.

-I really hope most of Awakening's new classes, particularly ones which gave PCs a use for both Strength and Magic, return. Dark Flier, Falconknight, Trickster, Dark Knight, etc.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want in.

-Multi capture chapters (like FE4)

-The support system (number of supports like Awakening, One S-support) (but with the "marriage system" of past FE games, like FE6-FE9)

-FE4 & FE5 skill system

-the Warp stave

-FE4 or FE5's difficulty

-Arenas

-Aversa's Mirror match map

What I want to either not return or leave

-The world map

-Grinding stages

-Laguz

-Risen

personally, i really miss the steal function. on top of that, i also really love fog of war (esp. the "nighttime" fog of war in fe7), and the map conditions- like snow or rain slowing units down. -reaver weapons are also really fun to work with, less so if you were the ones at the receiving end, but w/e. status staves were typically awful, so not saying i'd want them back- but if they did, i'd rather get my hands on more than one (1) berserk stave like in fe8. like, give me a sleep staff or something, please.

varied map objectives springs to mind, as well- protect maps, as well as survive maps were some of my favorites. seize thrones were also fun to work with, although they're often basically the same as "route enemy" or "defeat commander." i'd really like to see certain objective maps come to play, like "keep this amount of people alive for x amount of turns," or "visit these villages before so and so gets to x" or something like that.

the magic triangle i would love back, as well- the advantages and disadvantages of each magic type is pretty fun to work with, in my opinion

i'd also like a revamp of the support system. there's a certain way i'd like it done, but considering this game isn't made for me and me alone, i'd personally just like the supports more spread out, and maybe a few mxf supports only going to A? like, there's just some units in awakening who really shouldn't have a marriage option, IMO (lon'loser springs to mind- the guy has serious gynophobia, for christ's sake). also, i'd love for the marriage to happen at the end of the game, and maybe s support just being the highest level, rather than marriage? idk.

other than that, i suppose i would really love to see the return of canto for mounted units again. maybe status conditions (i.e. poison)? but i'm not too sure about that, often times it was more infuriating than fun to work with.

Edited by falcoknights

Stuff I want back:

- Fog of war

- Status staves

- Steal (preferably fe9 style, also enemy thieves being a threat to your loot)

- Canto

- Weight (fe9/10 style, but I don't mind con)

- Light magic (and to an extension magic triangle but actually effective and bishops)

- More map objectives (honestly I wouldn't mind all seize maps, but that's only a challenge if the lord has a hard time surviving eg Roy)

- Different recruit methods

- FE 9/10's skill system (unlikely given that screenshots prove otherwise, but whatever)

- Rescue

- Base conversations Tellius style

- DLC (something like Future Past, with a good story and challenge, not the stupid fanservice DLCs)

Stuff I don't want back:

- Marriage/S supports

- Children

- Reclass (if coming back, make it very limited class options or postgame only)

- Dead people coming back to life for no reason at all

- Kozaki

It is different, actually. Nowi's bounciness and innocence is something she deliberately presents herself as, and particularly in her supports with Nah, she shows a far greater emotional maturity than most characters in the game (and even most real life people, I'd almost contend). She recognises the gravity of the situations they contend with, but rather than trying to keep a serious demeanour, she intentionally maintains a playful act because she knows that that's what provides the greatest benefit for the cast's emotional wellbeing.

It creates a really neat contrast with Nah, who acts incredibly serious on the outside when it's heavily implied she's very emotionally unhealthy and very immature (much like most of Awakening's child characters).

The past Manaketes, on the other hand, show far less depth than Nowi and Nah, and rather than going the Nowi route that being alive for centuries would instil a profound mental maturity, they instead mostly just act like they look. It seems that for them, they mature mentally at the same rate they mature physically, at least to an extent - though this may perhaps just be because of how secluded they all are.

anyway uh

I guess I want another neat well-characterised loli Manakete?

I've been thinking it'd be cool to have Manakete around Nah's age who acts sweet and innocent but really is smart and cocky. Plays up her loli image to get what she wants. I guess I just want a loli manakete who actually seems to enjoy combat. All of the past ones (understandably so) have been a bit timid in that regard. Although Nah's criticals came across cocky.

My single greatest hope is that they get rid of reinforcements that act first on the enemy turn. Getting shanked by an enemy you couldn't possibly know was going to spawn there is not fun. Preparing for an event which you could not forsee without a guide is not strategy. This goes double if they have weakness-hitting weapons or something, especially with how ridiculous those got in lategame of Awakening. Yes, I know I can play Normal Mode and avoid this, but I just find Normal Mode way too easy.

My hope of this changing is not too high because it's been three games in a row now that they've done this.

Others:

-I hope that supports, romance included do make their return. I hope that the options are more limited than "damn near every character of the opposite gender" as that made many romantic supports feel forced and repetitive. I could do without children, both because I find the eugenics mechanics to be stylistically bizarre and because you very much constrain the types of stories you can write if you insist on having a second generation.

-I'm fine with Pair Up coming back, but let's hope it's more balanced this time. The opportunity cost for pairing up was far too low considering the rewards, while the option to separate came at a turn cost, WTF. I did notice the hit/avo/crit/dodge bonuses seemed lower in the video, so that's a start.

-I'd love to see Shove and Rescue return. They were subtly solid tactical options to consider.

-I'd defenitely prefer more varied map objectives, such as defend/survive chapters.

-Branching promotions are great, keep 'em. I also quite like reclassing, but I won't shed tears if it's gone either.

-I really hope most of Awakening's new classes, particularly ones which gave PCs a use for both Strength and Magic, return. Dark Flier, Falconknight, Trickster, Dark Knight, etc.

Agreed on all accounts. To add onto to your first point, assuming children don't come back, it'd be nice if they're was some clear indicator in the support gallery that 2 opposite sex characters can/will marry if they reach an S support. Maybe use an M instead of an S at the end of row (M for marriage obviously). I also hope they save marriage for the epilogue and just let them be dating for the actual game. Even in the well-done romantic supports, I find it weird to skip straight from crushing on someone straight to asking for their hand in marriage.

Edited by BlueL

I'd like to see reworked Knights and Generals, since they are my favorite classes. At least in Awakening, Gens seem to be overkill/unneeded(in terms of Def) on lower difficulties and really subpar on higher difficulties. Even archers were better off; they might not be needed at lower difficulties, but they are great in higher difficulties.

Include:

-Weapon weight, à la FE11, but make tomes generally lighter so as not to screw over magic users

-Cooperative multiplayer maps

-Buff archers/snipers to get extra range (to further separate them from mages and non-specialized bow users)

-Asymmetrical factions (as in, Nohr and Hoshido have different classes and weapons)

-Magical swords that hit physical at close range and magical at long range

-Ballisticians (or at least ballistae)

-More "special" weapons (like armorslayers, wyrmsbanes, etc.)

-Siege maps (think defend maps, but in reverse. You would have to break the enemy lines within a certain turn limit)

Pls no:

-Competitive multiplayer

-Battle panties

-FE13 Generals'/Great Knights' weird umbrella pauldrons

-Meaningless choices

-Oversized weapons (though we already know that the models are roughly the same size as Awakening's, so I guess this is a moot point)

Edited by Rovan

I'd like to see reworked Knights and Generals, since they are my favorite classes. At least in Awakening, Gens seem to be overkill/unneeded(in terms of Def) on lower difficulties and really subpar on higher difficulties. Even archers were better off; they might not be needed at lower difficulties, but they are great in higher difficulties.

Knights are an inherently problematic class because they both have the low speed (the most important core stat IMO) and low move, and that's extremely difficult to recover from that combination. They become a defensive unit who has trouble getting to the front lines in maps where you push forward... and then still has to worry about things which pierce its defence like hammers. On the other hand, if you overbalance them in the other direction they could possibly end up too tanky, especially if the map design doesn't favour movement much. I don't think this has ever actually happened in the series, but someone may want to prove me wrong.

That said I do think more recent games have done -some- things to help patch them up. Radiant Dawn had armour knights who were not, in fact, that slow (instead saddling magic users with the lowest speed stats, typically), while Awakening allowed you to patch bad armour knight move by pairing them up with a fast mobile character such as a pegasus knight.

Even in the well-done romantic supports, I find it weird to skip straight from crushing on someone straight to asking for their hand in marriage.

Agreed, definitely. It's a cultural thing, and to some extent you can handwave it away by saying that folks in FE-land simply get married very easily (although if they don't also get divorced very easily that seems potentially squicky), but I'd rather not have to do that. It'd be enough to have the S support (or whatever) show that they're clearly headed into a romantic relationship.

It'd be enough to have the S support (or whatever) show that they're clearly headed into a romantic relationship.

This. Also, the S-supports should be restricted to pairs that make sense like in the older games. More same-sex supports would be good too.

Want:

Critical hit animations like the GBA games, rather than the few (noticeable) ones from Awakening (Pegasus Knights were really the only ones I could tell the difference).

Arenas (at least for Nohr's path; it would make some sense due to being a glory-seeking nation, and apparently there won't be a world map)

Falcoknights with swords rather than staffs

Rescue (or at least a Pair Up option that lets the character you're moving be the primary character)

Weapon weight and constitution (made it more tactical)

S supports that only result in a paired ending rather than marriage right after they finish talking

Mounted units being able to use their remaining move points after using an item or the like

Dark Fliers and Dark Knights being able to use dark magic (they use magic already, and dark is even in the name)

Galeforce that just lets characters use their remaining move points, but allow attacking as well; if out of move points, only allow attacking again

Stealing

A recruit theme

Don't Want:

Ablaze fight themes (I'd prefer a separate fight theme)

Children

Dark Mages and Sorcerers (although this is probably a moot point, I prefer Shamans and Druids)

Most characters recruited only by the Lord (the only people that weren't were recruited outside of conversations, excluding Yen'fay)

Non-linear side quests (accessing them too late will make the units suck for your point in the game)

Zombies

Critical hit/ability cut-ins

Edited by SamusAran

Galeforce that just lets characters use their remaining move points, but allow attacking as well; if out of move points, only allow attacking again

So basically you want a Jugdral/Tellius style canto but with the Galeforce attack again ability if they can reach.

Hahaha, I kinda made a thread on this but whatever, I'll post it again here.

Want

• New Game Plus/ Replaying Chapters
  • Online battles
  • Support System from Awakening
  • Anima, Light and Dark Magic
  • Critical Cut-ins From Awakening
  • Ablaze Themes

Don't Want

• Class Specific class promotion items
  • FE7 Tactician
  • Children (While I don't care if they are in the game, I just think they would not fit for this game)
Edited by SpeedB00st

I would like to see more flying units. Maybe give Griffons their own line of promotions and bring back Wyvern Knights from FE8 to fill in that second promotion option if they decide to do branched promotions again.

I've noticed several split opinions on the Trinity of Magic. I'm pro-Trinity myself (a Trinitarian, you might say), and I don't really get why people don't want some sort of triangle, be it Fire-Thunder-Wind or Nature-Dark-Light. Anyone care to elaborate?

I've noticed several split opinions on the Trinity of Magic. I'm pro-Trinity myself (a Trinitarian, you might say), and I don't really get why people don't want some sort of triangle, be it Fire-Thunder-Wind or Nature-Dark-Light. Anyone care to elaborate?

Triangle for weapons allow slow-ass knight to hit high-speed sword user, sword user to dodge powerful fighter's attack and high damage axe user to penetrate tanky knight's defense.

Since all mages has high resis growth in general, especially the light magic class. The advantages and disadvantages are too minuscule to make any differences.

Since all mages has high resis growth in general, especially the light magic class. The advantages and disadvantages are too minuscule to make any differences.

Basically this is always the gist of it. Call it a dichotomous difference between the new games and the old ones. The new games that had a magic weapon triangle gave you zero reason to have magic users fight each other, so the magic weapon triangle was just silly clutter.

On the other hand, if you've played the Jugdral games, the magic weapon triangle played a much larger role and no one had enough resistance to block powerful magic attacks.

I like the magic weapon triangle, but if mages are going to have massive resistance like in RD or Awakening, there really isn't a point to it.

I hope I'm not the only person that hates weapon degredation, especially on legendary weapons. Whoever used Ragnell between RD and Awakening must have thought it was a legendary backscratcher/ toilet plunger with it going from infinite uses to only twenty five. Maybe they could have specific side quests to obtain them and ramp up the difficulty to even out the fact they'd have infinite uses? I don't know. As it is, I pretty much never use them unless it's the last chapter.

Wants

Better Story. Give me something more complex and realistic than good vs. evil

Make Choices matter. Give me a story where my choices do more than just net me different dialogue/endings

Better Avatar. Robin was a decent start, show me you can do better

More Combat animations. Make combat look more realistic and less stale, such as a couple clashes before contact

Marriage. Waifu wars happen no matter what. IkeXElincia vs. IkeXSoren is one example. And too many ppl are going to complain if this disappears anyway.

Pair Up. Who doesn't want to fight alongside their beloved comrades? Why take away a great tactic in battle? Clerics can't fight on their own and this allows other characters to grow. I want to reverse the Jagen curse

Grinding. Keep this. Many characters get left behind bc they slowly fall behind other characters. If you don't want grinding then don't grind

Rampant Reclassing. Keep this for the same reason. Certain classes are better than others and certain characters need this badly. Besides who doesn't like customization?

Weapon Customization. Please tell me I can make my sword's element Lightning and I can name it Raikiri. More customization=more fun

Children. Keep this but perhaps also with marriage only have this for main characters. It was fun to mix and match (Except for myself, no one else is allowed to marry my beautiful Cord;) and it provides some more replay value if you're going for supports.

FEET WITH SHOES ON. Small gripe really but for some reason Kamui not wearing shoes and having two left feet bothers me a bit. Soldiers wear boots in combat for very good reasons, all that shrapnel and bullets are murder on the toes. Or have we forgotten what happens when you step on a spike in TMNT 4 Turtles in Time?

turtles_in_time_my_toe_my_toe_by_powdera

Get Rid of

Gender specific classes. Not a huge problem but I wouldn't mind seeing some male Pegasus fliers and some female fighters. And come one, gale force for everyone!

Flanderized characters. Let's just say that some Awakening characters were better than others. But this is not specific to just Awakening, it happens in every fire emblem. Just give me at least Fifteen well written complex characters and we'll call it even

Stale Story. Not everything is black and white and this kind of story is so old its predictable and boring.

"Fake Choices." Take a page from Mass Effect and provide a story where the choices have an impact from when they are made to even the finish. No more meaningless non-impactful stories

REMOVAL OF FEATURES THAT WERE IN AWAKENING. A couple I can understand bc they don't always fit like marriage and children but please: Don't remove features. Taking away features is just plain stupid. It's like taking the frosting off of a cake or the toppings off of a pizza. It harms the game and is a step back, giving it less playability than its predecessors. If you need to refine something like Rampant Reclassing and the like than go for it. But you should be adding to your product not taking away. Otherwise you'll be on verge of collapse again IS

So... we still should have had Conquest-sized maps, stats capping at 20, Crusader Scrolls, Black and White Magic, No-Buffer Weapon Weight, and the Holy Blood system.

Is that what you're saying, Shadow Knight?

So... we still should have had Conquest-sized maps, stats capping at 20, Crusader Scrolls, Black and White Magic, No-Buffer Weapon Weight, and the Holy Blood system.

Is that what you're saying, Shadow Knight?

????

Sure why not. I posted "Don't remove features, refine them. Add new features. Specifically Features in Awakening."

I've seen people comment on wanting magic triangles, Weapon weights, etc. back. Stat capping isn't at 20 in awakening, its been refined and I thought stats were fine in Awakening. If you wanted to be OP you'd have to grind like crazy, if you wanted to be "average" than you didn't have to grind. The map size is fine and has been refined too.

Features aren't bad, they just sometimes need to be tweaked and added upon.Taking them out is ridiculous, it just means less content for the game. Sure some features don't work, but I already acknowledged that in my previous post.

????

Sure why not. I posted "Don't remove features, refine them. Add new features. Specifically Features in Awakening."

I've seen people comment on wanting magic triangles, Weapon weights, etc. back. Stat capping isn't at 20 in awakening, its been refined and I thought stats were fine in Awakening. If you wanted to be OP you'd have to grind like crazy, if you wanted to be "average" than you didn't have to grind. The map size is fine and has been refined too.

Features aren't bad, they just sometimes need to be tweaked and added upon.Taking them out is ridiculous, it just means less content for the game. Sure some features don't work, but I already acknowledged that in my previous post.

He is joshing you Shadow. Those are features from the Jugrdal games and have pretty much been completely removed from the series. And some of the things people liked about Awakening is that they took out certain features from the game, like weapon weight and the magic triangle. For the record, I'd like all those that ScarletFlame mentioned back, but I don't see it happening.

He is joshing you Shadow. Those are features from the Jugrdal games and have pretty much been completely removed from the series. And some of the things people liked about Awakening is that they took out certain features from the game, like weapon weight and the magic triangle. For the record, I'd like all those that ScarletFlame mentioned back, but I don't see it happening.

Lol I know. I'd like a weapon weight and magic triangle as well