Fire Emblem 6 LTC Playthrough - Will be streaming it Sunday 6/19 at 11am PST

I am strongly considering US Hard Mode, but I guess that's not a bad option either. I'll be spending the summer on it, so I could just do a run of MM if I feel like it and collect enemy data at the very least.

I know Maniac Mode enemies are kind of in the same boat as FE9 HM enemies - very very bulky- so killing them might not always be the most efficient option (though they're not a joke like FE9 HM enemies can be). I don't think growths make a massive difference in early game either. But this isn't the time for theory crafting on that.

Edited by Lord Raven

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maniac mode might actually be easier since you can forge 255 crit weapons, and forge thunder for Calill in the second half of the game and give her vantage or something and just oneshot everything

maniac mode might actually be easier since you can forge 255 crit weapons, and forge thunder for Calill in the second half of the game and give her vantage or something and just oneshot everything

or maybe actually challenging yourself and not using that cheapass glitch may be rewarding as well.

He gets 2 1%'s (one at very poor hit with a javelin on a fighter) in chapter 3, and I imagine that's not the end of it (i haven't watched anything past chapter 4), although his units will likely be too strong to need them on anything other than bosses for the rest of the game probably anyway.

I'm gonna leave it at this though, I honestly agree with your view on the matter anyway.

Edited by General Horace

He gets 2 1%'s (one at very poor hit with a javelin on a fighter) in chapter 3, and I imagine that's not the end of it (i haven't watched anything past chapter 4), although his units will likely be too strong to need them on anything other than bosses for the rest of the game probably anyway.

I'm gonna leave it at this though, I honestly agree with your view on the matter anyway.

Well, there really was only two choices in that instance. One, crit the enemies and win in 4 turns, or be conservative and win in 5. It's similar to dondon's chapter 8x where he could kill henning early with a very low chance, or just be conservative and take more turns. I don't think that should deserve any criticism.

I'm just against strategies like, throw calill in the middle of the battlefield killing everything by abusing the crit glitch + vantage, then seize once everyone's dead. Generally, there's always a way to be stealthy and improve the odds, and I just enjoy when players outsmart the AI rather than brute force through them.

I see what you mean, I personally am not fond of 1% crits in the middle of a chapter just randomly since they can always be worked around, but for something like a boss kill or near-throne sweep where you need a 1% critical to kill the a few enemies (like in Chapter 1) you really don't care too much.

Also I think Maniac Mode (EDIT: 0% Growths) may be only possible at points because of that glitch. For instance Oliver has 35 luck and 16 base AS, 41 HP, 13 Def, 30 Resistance, 19 Skl, 19 Mag and Nosferatu. Only Oliver got that buff, but a ton of enemies have defenses and like 40-45 HP.

The first 10 chapters are fucking terrible though, but this isn't the time or place.

Edited by Lord Raven

or maybe actually challenging yourself and not using that cheapass glitch may be rewarding as well.

i got an alert on my scrub detector and it was pointed at you

255 crit is not even a glitch in FE9. someone's salty for no reason. vantage critforge calill in FE9 is fundamentally not much different from invincible haar in FE10, except she has less mov, doesn't fly, and therefore requires strategic assistance to get stuff done.

Edited by dondon151

idk dude, didn't you not want to do the mine glitch in FE7 0% because you felt it was kinda cheap?

I think it's reasonable to not want to neccessarily use glitches but the subjectiveness of what is cheap or not is iffy and you should either be no holds barred or just say "it's my preference as it's my run".

Edited by Irysa

Well you could technically adjust Chapter 2 to my strat as well if you want for Shanna's EXP, just subbing Alan for Lance. I can give you the scripts I used to burn RNs.

Ultimately I don't think it's that big a deal though, if you're eager to see the LOWEST possible TC I will probably get it, but Raven's run has been a big help in helping me get better estimates of EXP distribution and the like.

Isn't it possible to get a lot lower by letting people die and drop a unit? I haven't been watching your playthrough though so I don't know for sure if you're doing that.

Yeah it is, I meant lowest TC for complete recruitment/no deaths. I realise in hindsight that it was a bit forward of me to say LOWEST, I didn't mean to come off as arrogant. Although so far, I'm 99% sure you can't get better than what I've done for the first 7 chapters without suicides/incomplete recruitment, the tiles just don't cooperate. But rather, I will always go for the lowest I can see and will make any possible adjustments and continue to work to reach the lowest. Thats all.

Edited by Irysa

Yeah it is, I meant lowest TC for complete recruitment/no deaths. I realise in hindsight that it was a bit forward of me to say LOWEST, I didn't mean to come off as arrogant. Although so far, I'm 99% sure you can't get better than what I've done for the first 7 chapters without suicides/incomplete recruitment, the tiles just don't cooperate. But rather, I will always go for the lowest I can see and will make any possible adjustments and continue to work to reach the lowest. Thats all.

You'll be surprised at how less sure you'll be in a year or two.

4, 7 and 6 have a turn floor that can't be improved because of recruitment, Chapter 1 simply cannot be improved on without a suicide and the only way to 4 turn Chapter 2 is to have Roy kill the boss (which he can't do in one round on Hard Mode because the Rapier isn't strong enough even with a double crit). You would need to get an extra 8 tiles of movement or something to 4 turn Chapter 3 which is impossible without a suicide. Even when boosted repeatedly Marcus can only barely get Roy in seize range at turn 5.

Short of there being a glitch that we don't know about, or the 1% possibility that somehow skipping Cath and the loot in Chapter 6 to recruit Cath elsewhere saves more turns somewhere, it can't get better.

Edited by Irysa

idk dude, didn't you not want to do the mine glitch in FE7 0% because you felt it was kinda cheap?

i don't know why you'd bring this up with me when you aren't using the rescue death exploit in FE6 for arbitrary reasons.

the 255 crit forge exploit doesn't break the game and it's basically the one cool thing about JP FE9.

Lord Raven,

FE9 Maniac mode 0% is certainly possible without the crit glitch, as I completed it. For Oliver, you'd just have Tibarn take him down on that map. If you ever want tips later on, let me know.

i got an alert on my scrub detector and it was pointed at you

255 crit is not even a glitch in FE9. someone's salty for no reason. vantage critforge calill in FE9 is fundamentally not much different from invincible haar in FE10, except she has less mov, doesn't fly, and therefore requires strategic assistance to get stuff done.

Oh please, you think you know everything because of all your LTC runs, most of which are garbage. I'm no longer wasting my time reading your omniscient opinions.

Lord Raven,

FE9 Maniac mode 0% is certainly possible without the crit glitch, as I completed it. For Oliver, you'd just have Tibarn take him down on that map. If you ever want tips later on, let me know.

Oh please, you think you know everything because of all your LTC runs, most of which are garbage. I'm no longer wasting my time reading your omniscient opinions.

What do you think of my LTC runs?!?!!?

Belf, I'm not really gonna talk about FE9 MM 0% or w/e in public, but I'm gonna do whatever I end up wanting to do with it. If you want to talk about it, please talk to me in private. I'm really not going to respond to anything unrelated to FE6 LTCs or comments about this playthrough after this, so let's not do this here.

Edited by Lord Raven

i don't know why you'd bring this up with me when you aren't using the rescue death exploit in FE6 for arbitrary reasons.

the 255 crit forge exploit doesn't break the game and it's basically the one cool thing about JP FE9.

I haven't said at any point that he shouldn't use the glitch though? The point is that there's this fuzzy area when we're talking about stuff like that, and different people feel differently about different things. I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling that the 255 crit thing is cheesy (even if I disagree), in the same way I don't think there's anything wrong with you or Horace opting not to use the Mine Glitch for similar arbitrary reasons, or me not using the rescue death exploit.

Edited by Irysa

I'm really not going to respond to anything unrelated to FE6 LTCs or comments about this playthrough after this, so let's not do this here.

And I would advise others to do the same.

Back to topic, please.

• 4 weeks later...

Just posting here to let you know that, if you can't already tell by my posting in the other thread and talking to Irysa about shit, this is still alive. I just haven't gotten around to commentary yet.

Few things I want to ask: what exactly do you expect from commentary? I know most of the flaws in my first video (and I won't be redoing it) that I will try my best not to repeat, but I feel like just informing you about how important certain concepts are is somewhat redundant and completely dry. I know I can toss a few jokes in there that aren't as subtle, but also like what other information would you want to hear? Just the basic stuff?

Also, final TC: 138.

5/9 Turns

Key units

Name    Level  HP Str Skl Spd Lck Def Res
Lance   04.53  22  08  09  10  02  08  00
Thany   03.17  17  06  07  14  05  06  06
Deke    06.02  27  10  12  11  05  06  01
Roy     01.36  Base
Marcus  01.59+ Base
Ellen is a healer, and while staff users will be useful in this playthrough for niche things, she is actually the worst of them all. She has no mount and her base magic is very low, on top of having a poor weapon rank at base. She will not reach the staff rank in time to use more nifty staffs like Torch, Barrier, Restore, and Warp which end up giving her a bunch of WEXP. I defer her use to Saul. She is also very, very frail (even moreso than other magic users).

Merlinus is anywhere from a non factor to absolutely clutch. He literally does not die, because he'll just come back next chapter with inventory and items intact. He's also useful for long range item transports through whatever means, giving me a lot of flexibility in moving items around, but you don't see this until much later on. He doesn't take too many hits in this run, I think he dies around twice maybe, but he has some very very niche uses that are mandatory in this run (and others which merely help).

Not much to say about Ward and Lott. They both really blow, Lott sees some good use throughout the run and gains a few level ups, but he's nothing special; he has quite a bit of bulk when built up and somewhat mediocre fighting prowess. Highest defense growth in the game. Ward starts out slow and ends up still fairly slow with good strength/HP, but he is too much work to build up and is mediocre even in more casual runs. Neither were ever considered particularly good units.

Deke is a very good combat unit, but his lack of move hampers him considerably and he falls off very quickly as a result. He is good with finishing off certain enemies early on, but his job because trivial very quickly and he's basically no longer deployed after a few chapters.

It's hard to value Thany in a vacuum for this runthrough (because units like Saul and Lance exist and are more useful in certain aspects), but she can do just about anything you need her to. Her evade makes it possible for her to survive a bunch of enemy attacks, and rigging some strength onto her gives her the ability to kill things as well. She is necessary for some boss kills, as well as carrying Roy or any other unit around because she has no terrain penalties. Lance is a better boss killer overall, but Thany's pure utility mixed with good offense (for this runthrough) makes her an MVP candidate or close. The only downside is that it is very hard to rig durability onto her without long RN strings due to only 45% HP and 10% defense growths, meaning that her defense will not grow very much at all, and she will need a lot of defense for low TCs in some early game chapters (which I did not end up giving her due to needing many, many, many, many RN burns - I'm talking Irysa levels - to get those level ups).

Edited by Lord Raven