How do you think the new Nintendo "mobile strategy" will effect Fire Emblem?

DarkSage764

So Nintendo announced that they're going to put games on mobile devices, and the first question I thought to myself was, "how will this effect Fire Emblem?" Personally, i'm just afraid that some gimmicky game that will force you to cough up money will come out of this, like instant revives or having to wait until your party is fully rested. Something like that. Hopefully that won't happen, but there certainly is chance.

So what do you guys think? Will Nintendo use cheap money making tactics? Or will they go for a different approach?

They have been doing that for their free mobile 3DS games for a while like with Steel Diver 2, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Pokemon Shuffle and of course the infamous one Collectible Badge Center

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/jwvj/

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Collectible_Badge_Center

I personally don't mind it if the game is free and you have to pay to get the full package. However if it is a paid game and it requires you to pay extra for basic game elements then that's when I would say you're taking it a bit too far.

As for Fire Emblem, I can't judge too much on what they can do however many of these strategy games seem to go into card form mobile games so I can see that might happen in the future.

'a-awakening didn't kill the series guys and make it casual guyz i swear to ashura and yune"

thats me poking fun at that line of logic, but i really hope it doesn't turn out true (the whole pay a dollar or two for a new feature or faster turns or skills) thats nickel and diming which is a really dishonorable business practice.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

Probably spin off games like Clash of Clans Fire Emblem or Tower Defense Fire Emblem. (Since Dena did one for Star Wars) Or maybe collaborations with other mobile games like Puzzles and Dragons and Brave Frontier.

Maybe actual online multiplayer, not like the cruddy shadow dragon or streetpass AI only awakening, but real time mini battles/turn based battle scenarios.

I think that this could be the jump that allows fe to be streamlined as a multiplayer game...as long as the game itself isn't terribly imbalanced

Pay $1.99 to get Navarre

Pay $2.99 to get the Member Card. Sure it's on an enemy, but we ditched stealing and he doesn't drop it! Good luck getting it otherwise!

No idea quite honestly. I don't really see how FE as a series could even begin to translate to a mobile game. Nintendo and Dena are far more likely to release spin offs of Mario and Zelda before anything else. Hell I'd be surprised if they manage to get something from Metroid on. I could see something like Donkey Kong getting a release on Android or IOS devices a game like that is perfect for that kind of thing on the go. Maybe even other simple retro games like Super Mario Bros or even the original Zelda. But then again they did say something about making original content.

I doubt very much FE is even being considered for mobiles. They're probably going to focus on their most recognizable series like Mario and Pokémon and ones that would transition easily into mobile games like WarioWare. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I don't see FE spinning off into a mobile game very well, and I really don't think they'd do ports for mobiles instead of their own consoles based on how they described their vision for this.

Clash of Clans... I could maaaaybe see how that'd work... Kinda think Zelda would be what they'd choose if they did a Nintendo spinoff though.

I doubt Fire Emblem is a hot franchise among the phone game crowd. I wouldn't worry; whatever mobile games that come out of this will likely focus on Mario/Zelda/Pokemon (at least initially).

Edited by Toogee

So Nintendo announced that they're going to put games on mobile devices, and the first question I thought to myself was, "how will this effect Fire Emblem?" Personally, i'm just afraid that some gimmicky game that will force you to cough up money will come out of this, like instant revives or having to wait until your party is fully rested. Something like that. Hopefully that won't happen, but there certainly is chance.

So what do you guys think? Will Nintendo use cheap money making tactics? Or will they go for a different approach?

A different approach. A Fire Emblem skin over a more accessible type of game is more likely than a traditional Fire Emblem game. On mobile there's a much larger gigantic potential audience but a focus on shifting high volumes for free or low price and making money off microtransactions.

Typical Fire Emblem gameplay would just drive people away and I'd doubt many(in regards to the mobile platform by many I mean several millions) would be willing to even play it for free on mobile. Any mechanics they could monetize are things that drive people away from playing the game in the first place, it's just not suited to mobile.

Edited by arvilino

Here's a thought from the only guy who can say Wars and Fire Emblem in the same breath: Tread the mobile market with a Wars branded game and use the popular mechanics in a FE-styled game. Seems to be how it happened with Advance Wars/FE7, though that was really only for getting FE to the international market.