Sad Gaming Tunes

Magical Glace

You know what I'm talking about.

Something bad happened, what have you. Then the music starts.

No matter the game, these songs always stand out to me. So, I figured I'd make a thread for personal favorites among them.

• Grandma from The Wind Waker. After Link tells her about Aryll, she breaks down sobbing. Link just leaves, waving as he leaves with Tetra's pirates, and when he comes back, he finds her so ill with worry that she says nothing but Link and Aryll's names. The song is just there to show exactly how much she cares. And it's gorgeous.
  • Farewell, Hyrule King from the same game. Hyrule is to be permanently destroyed according to King Daphene's wish, you just beat Ganondorf in a kimono, and then... you get a scene where the King melancholically tells Link and Zelda why he wished for what he did, and and of his own impending doom, being bound to Hyrule as Ganondorf was.
  • Yet another The Wind Waker track (last one I promise), Aryll's theme is just so sweet yet sad. I love it for that.
  • In Not-The Wind Waker Zelda, we have the Song of Healing from Majora's Mask, which plays as you seal away curses of various characters into masks, as well as inside Clock Tower, Hilda's Theme from A Link Between Worlds, played for the desperate Lorulian princess,and Fi's Gratitude from Skyward Sword
  • Fire Emblem gives us some very good sad tracks as well. My favorites are both from Elibe. Reminiscence, Ninian's theme from The Blazing Blade, fits the lost dancer perfectly. Dark Priestess from the Binding Blade captures the "empty" personality of Idoun perfectly, just as you're about to fight her. It also gets two more versions, Shaman in the Dark, her battle theme, which sounds both threatening and desperate, and the peaceful Eternal Wind, the ending theme.
  • The final song I'm going to mention only half counts, BUT I feel it is good enough to mention. I speak, of course, of Lullaby of Deserted Hell from Touhou Chireiden: Subterranean Animism. It's an interesting mix of happy and sad, cheerful and melancholic. Which fits Stage 5, set in the remains of Blazing Hell, deserted with nothing but spirits left, very, very well.
REASONABLY IMPORTANT EDIT: Avoid embedding vids. Just link them... I don't want crashes. Please? Edited by Glaceon Armamentalist

This song from Ace Attorney Investigations is played on the last case, so I advise to not open the link leading to its youtube page. Other than that, it is not a spoiler. I like how it is a sad anthem for a tragic country.

From Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC, there's Whereabouts of the Stars. It does not follow a sad moment, but it's sad enough to be accounted.

And Conspiracy, this awesomely heroic yet sad song from Fire Emblem 4 that seems as if it came out from a opera. Followed by

. Yuria's theme is also pretty good in that it is sad and at the same time recomforting. Edited by Rapier

[spoiler=Final Fantasy Tactics]

Probably shouldn't read any of the comments if you don't want to be spoiled.

Edited by Refa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! I love this game so much!!!!

Anyway... man, here's a few.

- Sacrifice/Alice - it's a mix of two themes, one being a leitmotif for the entire Yuri saga of the Shadow Hearts Series. It plays after Yuri merges with the Seraphic Radiance (thanks to Dehuai summoning it or something to that extent), but it proves to be too much with him and he disappears. Shanghai is also leveled to the ground and most of its citizens are killed. Meanwhile, Alice's leitmotif starts at 1:47 following it because of the sorrow Alice has gone throughout the course of the game up until that point. It also plays a lot in the sequel whenever Yuri thinks of Alice (because canonically Alice dies at the end of Shadow Hearts).

- Midna's Lament - let me start by saying this should not have been in fucking Smash Brothers. At any rate, I'm sure you guys know the story by now - Midna's been beaten down pretty badly and Link is seemingly eternally a wolf, so you have to embark to Hyrule Castle where Zelda sacrifices herself to save Midna. I could be a little bit off though because I haven't playing TP in a while.

- Ending Theme in FFX - I think we all know how this one goes. We've foregone the final summoning, we've saved Spira from these endless cycles of Sin "punishing" the people of Spira. Tidus has finally reconciled with his father after killing him, and Yu Yevon - who has turned into this weird spider thing - has been destroyed. But Tidus disappears because he's just a dream of the fayth, who was created to find a way to destroy Yevon and end it.

- Lightning's Theme in FF13 - I liked FF13's plot and this was pretty poignant any time it played in the trilogy. Dust to Dust is a million times sadder when you realize you're up against the remnants of the people Fang/Vanille's village.

- ICARO - more Shadow Hearts, and this is actually the main theme of the series. Probably my favorite rendition of it. Here's the piano version, which is almost as good.

- Don't Speak Her Name! - I'd argue this game's plot wasted the OST quite a lot, because this OST was fantastic and the plot was just poorly written and at times it seemed poorly thought out.

- Way To Fall by Starsailor - this is one of the two MGS3 tracks I'll post, but it's a pretty sad song and it fits the tone of the ending. This song has definitely some sort of addiction to drugs to hide sorrow, but it also applies to MGS3 where Big Boss was a pawn of the US military and basically used to obtain the Philosopher's Legacy and tarnish her reputation to prevent a world war. Here's the debriefing theme when they anoint him Big Boss while EVA tells him what the purpose of his mission really was.

- Terra's Theme - i dont think I need an explanation...

That's all I can think of for now...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! I love this game so much!!!!

I got it for Christmas. It has quickly grown to become one of my favorite video games ever between the amazing soundtrack, gameplay, and the story

Some visual novel stuff:

Reminiscence: Tragic Memories from Ace Attorney Dual Destinies. The fact the other versions of this theme are so upbeat only makes it hit harder.

Everlasting feeling, from Fate/Stay Night - technically it's a calm reflection theme for nights before battle and stuff, but maybe it qualifies?

Game Over, from Fate/Extra which is actually a RPS simulator and not a VN, but it's based on a VN so w/e - the title is a little misleading, since it isn't game over for you. But still.

Song of effeminate dudes, the aptly named bad end theme from Tokimeki Memorial, rubbing salt on the wounds of those players who didn't manage to successfully woo a girl since 1995.

Into the Abyss, the depression theme from the obscure eroge Usodere!

Extra: Town Where the Lights Went Out, from Trails in the Sky SC. Oops, spoilers?

Edited by TravelingElder

That hasn't been posted already? I got one:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue Rescue Team: Fugitives

Your team has been accused of a terrible crime. You must run, run until you uncover the truth, run with all the other teams on your tail.

For those interested in the specifics:

You are a human who woke up one day as a pokemon with no memory of your past life and no clue why you took this form. There is a legend called the Ninetales Legend, that tells of Ninetales' tails embued with psychic power, anyone who touches one will be cursed. There is a pokemon (Xatu) who can predict the future, he can tell you're no ordinary pokemon, and sees a future involving the possible end of the world, and says you have something to do with this future. The last part of the Ninetales legend? One day a human grabbed a tail, and their pokemon partner absorbed the curse, and the human abandoned their partner and ran. Ninetales predicts that the human will one day be reborn as a pokemon, and the end of the world will follow. The other teams put two and two together and we get the fugitive part. But it turns out the player isn't the human in the legend :)

PMD does some great storytelling...

Karma, from Ever17. For those who don't know, Ever17 is a PC visual novel done by the same guy who wrote the Zero Escape games (9 Hours, 9 persons, 9 Doors and Virtue's Last Reward). It was actually localized, but it's ridiculously difficult to find an official copy. The story is about a group of teens who is trapped deep down in an underwater park, and have one week to find a way out before they run out of food and a deadly virus is set loose and spreads, killing all of them. Like the Zero Escape games, it has tons of scientific elements ingrained in the plot, and lots of amazing plot twists you never see coming.

The song linked above, "Karma", is the main theme of the game and plays in every sad scene in the game. Played almost purely on piano, it does an amazing job at showcasing the character's feelings and evoke emotions on the player. Even if you've never played the game (and you probably never will) take some time to listen to the song, it's absolutely beautiful.

Edited by Jave

REASONABLY IMPORTANT EDIT: Avoid embedding vids. Just link them... I don't want crashes. Please?

and many people immediately ignore this request :V

the instruments in this song sound pretty bad, but i love the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNX1uYIIRZY

That hasn't been posted already? I got one:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue Rescue Team: Fugitives

Your team has been accused of a terrible crime. You must run, run until you uncover the truth, run with all the other teams on your tail.

For those interested in the specifics:

You are a human who woke up one day as a pokemon with no memory of your past life and no clue why you took this form. There is a legend called the Ninetales Legend, that tells of Ninetales' tails embued with psychic power, anyone who touches one will be cursed. There is a pokemon (Xatu) who can predict the future, he can tell you're no ordinary pokemon, and sees a future involving the possible end of the world, and says you have something to do with this future. The last part of the Ninetales legend? One day a human grabbed a tail, and their pokemon partner absorbed the curse, and the human abandoned their partner and ran. Ninetales predicts that the human will one day be reborn as a pokemon, and the end of the world will follow. The other teams put two and two together and we get the fugitive part. But it turns out the player isn't the human in the legend :)

PMD does some great storytelling...

PMD is amazing. and i don't even think about story much.

Her Last Breath, Phantasy Star 4

Paranoia, Kara no Shoujo... funnily enough, I first heard this song in a bad end. if you read it, you know the one.

The Price of Freedom from CC:FFVII is always one of those that brings up sad memories because of the way the game ends. Yes, everyone knew how it would all end from the beginning, but still.

Somehow I forgot The Price of Freedom. Needless to say, I like this post.

Soledai posted my suiko II pick and Refa posted my FFT pick (though technically I believe there are other renditions of Ovelia's Worries). I have nothing left. Except jealousy.

/pat

How about Farther Away from the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers game from easily one of the biggest tear jerker moments in the entire series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBgpQJtPgYg

What about "Don't Ever Forget..."?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubn6-n_XTXY

This is the only game that can make me cry,and that's saying something.

Requiem, from Langrisser II. (the game over theme) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHs1ZtroY_g

Be Absentminded, from Tales of Phantasia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qiQ_xqNnqc

Regal's Theme, from Tales of Symphonia.(I prefer the DotNW version) I always thought that it helps you feel him bearing a sad past and being unwilling to forgive himself quite nicely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSSvyBfEzvI