Bloodborne

Tryhard

So this game's coming out this week, and since I have a PS4 I caved and pre-ordered it. To be honest, I've heard very little of it up to release, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but I've got my money's worth from the other games so I'm sure this'll be no different.

Of course the most I've heard from people that have seen it is that it's too easy, but tell me I'm not alone in actually caring about difficulty in From's games, since if I wanted inflated challenge I would just play up to NG+7 or whatever. I just thought they were well constructed games.

though i have to wait until friday because uk release dates

Edited by Tryhard

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not alone. I could not care less about the difficulty.

Anyway, expect a more fast-paced and active souls-like game. You may or may not like that. As for me, it's perfect. I disliked shields anyway.

Also, we should totally make an SF password for co-op!

Edited by Esme

You are not alone. I could not care less about the difficulty.

Anyway, expect a more fast-paced and active souls-like game. You may or may not like that. As for me, it's perfect. I disliked shields anyway.

Also, we should totally make an SF password for co-op!

It ain't region-locked, is it? Hopefully at least there's an option to turn it off even if the connections suffer.

I think I've gotten pretty decent at dodging in the other games now, so I suppose no shields shouldn't be too much of a problem? time for me to get rekt

dibs on the password being 'Esme Smells'. I saw some information on the Chalice Dungeons that looked really cool. I always really liked random levels like in Diablo, and procedurally generated seems to be even better.

Can't wait for people making a meta an hour after release.

Do you expect anything else?

I'm hoping we get a pc release that isn't a broken piece of shit like the Dark Souls ports. I don't have an xbox or ps4 though so I'm probably going to be waiting for them to copy and paste the game into steam. Complete with xbox button tutorials!

It ain't region-locked, is it? Hopefully at least there's an option to turn it off even if the connections suffer.I think I've gotten pretty decent at dodging in the other games now, so I suppose no shields shouldn't be too much of a problem? time for me to get rektdibs on the password being 'Esme Smells'. I saw some information on the Chalice Dungeons that looked really cool. I always really liked random levels like in Diablo, and procedurally generated seems to be even better.

No, I don't think it is.

I suggest "sfisgreat" as our official password.

I'm hoping we get a pc release that isn't a broken piece of shit like the Dark Souls ports. I don't have an xbox or ps4 though so I'm probably going to be waiting for them to copy and paste the game into steam. Complete with xbox button tutorials!

It wont come to pc. It's a sony exclusive like demons souls.

I suggest "sfisgreat" as our official password.

think it's maximum 8 characters looking at this. which is kind of shit

for what it's worth, the pc port of Dark Souls 2 was much better, but like he said, I doubt you'll see it on PC in the near future, maybe ever.

Edited by Tryhard

think it's maximum 8 characters looking at this. which is kind of shit

Shoot, I was one character off. Eh, I'm sure we'll come up with another one sooner or later.

So what weapon are you guys going to start off with? I'm probably gonna do SKL/ARC and use the Baller Cane and the flamethrower.

Shoot, I was one character off. Eh, I'm sure we'll come up with another one sooner or later.

So what weapon are you guys going to start off with? I'm probably gonna do SKL/ARC and use the Baller Cane and the flamethrower.

I'd be down for co-op or whatever, timezones (and time) permitting.

I don't know the weapons really, so I'm probably going quality unless I see something I really like early.

I'd be down for co-op or whatever, timezones (and time) permitting.

I don't know the weapons really, so I'm probably going quality unless I see something I really like early.

Woo! Sounds good. Won't be able to co-op on my account since I don't have PSN+ but I'll go ahead and use my brother's. Since we can choose whether or not we want others to see our character names or PSN names, you guys won't have to see his account name. Not that it's embarrassing! I would rather use mine is all.

Also, turns out my Gamestop is doing a 9PM release tonight! I can play and post snippets of info (In spoilers, of course.) for those of you who do not have the game yet.

Woo! Sounds good. Won't be able to co-op on my account since I don't have PSN+ but I'll go ahead and use my brother's. Since we can choose whether or not we want others to see our character names or PSN names, you guys won't have to see his account name. Not that it's embarrassing! I would rather use mine is all.

Also, turns out my Gamestop is doing a 9PM release tonight! I can play and post snippets of info (In spoilers, of course.) for those of you who do not have the game yet.

My PSN is Kelsper if you wanna bother adding me, though I should have just got PSN+ sometime later this week. Won't have the game 'till Friday of course, and since I've got a couple deadlines for then wouldn't have had much time to play anyway.

Edited by Tryhard

Don't have the game, but the Herald/Maiden of this game is kinda creepy/cute with the whole doll concept. Also, she outwardly says she loves you (dunno if it's based on gender, but most likely a non-romantic love).

I REALLY want this game, but I don't have a PS4 (kinda sucks it has to be exclusive to the latter).

This game is already wowing me. The second boss I found kept the pressure on you constantly.

Cool stuff. I heard the online is pretty shaky right now, but I wouldn't expect anything else, honestly.

I REALLY want this game, but I don't have a PS4 (kinda sucks it has to be exclusive to the latter).

I would have appreciated even just a PC port as well, but understand why Sony are clever to go back to latching on to From after they kinda let them go after Demon's Souls. Plus, I don't get to play Smash or such so m-muh exclusives.

Sees account name. xXPUSSYK1LL3RXx

Can you please post said snippets? Be great.

Sure. I have beaten six bosses so far, and, man, this game is incredible. The bosses are so good, especially the first few bosses. Everything is challenging and I have yet to encounter any unfair enemies or bosses. I am really enjoying how fast-paced the combat is. It doesn't feel clunky or slow like Dark Souls. Also, the levels are HUGE. Like, holy shit, they are HUMONGOUS. The atmosphere is also legit scary. I use good headphones when I play, and in certain areas you can hear things like breathing, footsteps, whispering-- the enemies themselves also make horrifying noises. Speaking of enemies, the designs are really great. You have insane Yharnam citizens in the first level, then you meet creepy big guys who attempt to bash your head in with bricks, lightning-fast rabid dogs, alien mushroom people, men whose heads explode into a cluster of snakes, man-eating boars

One of the first bosses, the Cleric Beast, has a horrifying scream. It will wail constantly throughout the fight while attempting to kill you. It's scary as fuck.

As far as level design goes, though, it's a mix of metroidvania and Demon's Souls in that all the levels are labyrinthian-- with alternate routes, shortcuts and dead ends --and there are few lantern checkpoints in between levels. Couple that with the fact that you have limited healing and limited bullets with which to use arcane items and guns for parrying, makes you think carefully and decide whether or not you want to risk going further into a level, or simply heading back to the beginning and restocking. It makes things really tense.

Gosh, there's so much to say about this game. Let me cut it short and talk briefly about some mechanics. This game has a blood vial system. It kinda works like grass did in DeS, where you could have tons of different varieties of grass and stack them, except in Bloodborne you use vials. They heal more HP depending on how high your vit is and you can only carry 20 at a time. Any extras go to your storage. It's an interesting system, but if you run out you will have to grind a bit for more, which sucks. I like it better than the estus and grass systems though. Makes you think carefully before you blast through your vial supplies. Also, there are no rings in this game. Instead, you use runes which give similar effects. You can equip three regular runes and one special rune. I have found many regular runes, but I have yet to procure a special one. Anyway, they bestow a myriad of bonuses such as restoring HP upon performing a visceral attack (Backstab or parry.), restoring Quicksilver Bullets upon performing a visceral attack, increasing HP, increasing stamina, increasing how many bullets or vials you can carry, etc. For weapons, the mechanics are similar to the Souls series. You have your small shards, twin shards, chunks, and stones. You can upgrade all weapons to a maximum of 10. As far as infusions go, you can imbue weapons bloodgems that bestow different effects like a percentage increase to physical or magical damage, a decrease in stamina consumption for charge attacks, poison, etc. The gems are interchangable, too, so you can freely swap them around as you see fit.

So, yeah, I hope I gave a decent synopsis of the mechanics. If you guys want to ask anything else then I would be happy to share what I know.

I feel as though Miyazaki wanted to go back to drawing most of his inspiration from Demon's Souls, as almost every area and enemy I've seen seems to have the atmosphere of the Tower of Latria. Well, and the teleporting stones from the hub are something too. The checkpoints seem to be further apart like Demon's Souls as well.

My game has dispatched and I should have it tomorrow, get hype. I like the fact that the axe extends into a halberd, so I'll probably pick that as the starter weapon. What does the blunderbuss do differently from the pistol, anyway?

Though Esme - what exactly is the requirements to go into co-op? I know you need a different bell to summon or be summoned, but are they acquired at the start of the game or what?

Edited by Tryhard

what exactly is the requirements to go into co-op? I know you need a different bell to summon or be summoned, but are they acquired at the start of the game or what?

You need the Beckoning Bell to summon help. The messengers give it to you in the Hunter's Dream, I think after you beat the 1st boss? It's early, at any rate. To help or invade someone you need the Small and Sinister Resonant Bells, respectively; you can buy both with Insight at a vendor in the Hunter's Dream, but it only becomes available if you have 10 Insight. (Doesn't cost that much, but anytime you go below 10 the shop closes when you leave it.)

Edited by Ars Nova

Just wondering, did any of you go to the forbidden woods and drop down past where those snake creatures are?

I think I've encountered aliens, no seriously. It just keeps getting better and better.

Oh yeah the axe is good and really helpful, especially in it's halberd form. Its charge attack is spin to win.

What I really love about this game is how much personality there is to the enemies, from the beast infected townspeople to the armoured executioner with his terrifying swings and jump attacks.

Edited by Ryan7556

Just wondering, did any of you go to the forbidden woods and drop down past where those snake creatures are?

I think I've encountered aliens, no seriously. It just keeps getting better and better.

Yeah, I explored the entire area 100%. Those dudes were spooky as fuck, but at the same time I can't help but find them to be cute.

Man, I can't wait to play later on tonight. I defeated a boss earlier today before I went to work, and right outside the door I encountered this half-fly-half-man thing. It was gross and terrifying. Killed it with my PIMP CANE but it didn't drop anything. Kinda hesitant to continue. I wonder if I should backtrack and attempt to kill Gyula...

How the heck do you get to the Forbidden Forest? I beat the Witch of Hemwick and the Blood-Starved Beast, and got three levels into my chalice dungeon, and now I'm out of places to go. Probably just missed something in plain sight like I always do.