SF's "Write Your Butt Off!" Writing Competition XIV

Sunwoo

Vote over here~!

Credit goes to user Loki Laufeyson for coming up with the name of this competition.

So I had this (really bad) idea on starting a short story writing competition on SF, because it's always good to get people writing. This competition won't officially start until midnight, but let's get some of the logistics and details out of the way first so people can complain about them if they see fit.

The following rules are NOT variable amongst hosts and may NOT be changed without discussion.

Rules

1) Each round of the competition will last 3 weeks. Entrants will have 2 week to compose and submit their entry. The next five days, voters will choose their favorite entry. A winner will be named on the sixth day, and the winner will have until the end of the week to prepare for hosting the next week's competition. Therefore, each cycle will last exactly 3 weeks.

2) The host MAY NOT submit an entry for the week they are hosting. The winner becomes the host of the next cycle of competition.

3) Entries must be a minimum of 1000 words and a maximum of 10000 words. Try to stay within these limits, although the upper cap will not be enforced as strictly.

4) No smut! Try to keep entries rated PG-13 maximum.

5) No submitting of old work. It doesn't matter if the work in question has been edited or rewritten. All entries must be completely new.

6) Post your entries in this thread in spoiler tags.

7) You cannot vote for yourself.

8) You may ask another person (including another entrant) to proofread your story for grammar and spelling. However, they may not suggest changes that will affect major elements in the story, such as plot or characterization.

Theme

Hosts may choose a theme for entrants to write about, and the theme can be about anything (only FE-related, must be original work, holiday-themed, etc.) as long as the theme does not break the "no smut" rule.

This week's theme: Anything goes! Write about whatever you like, as long as it doesn't break the rules!

This competition is officially started. Good luck, and happy writing! All entries must be submitted by March 29, 11:59:59 PM PST.

Cycle 1 Winner

eclipse

Cycle 2 Winner

Jotaro Kujo

Cycle 3 Winner

eclipse (by default)

Cycle 4 Winner

Formina Sage

Cycle 5 Winner

Sunwoo

Cycle 6 Winner

eclipse

Cycle 7 Winner

Glaceon

Cycle 8 Winner

eclipse

Cycle 9 Winner

Knight

Cycle 10 Winner

???

Cycle 11 Winner

Jotari

Cycle 12 Winner

Kotovii

Cycle 13 Winner

Jotari

Cycle 14 Winner

???

Cycle links

Cycle 1 - completed

Cycle 2 - completed

Cycle 3 - completed

Cycle 4 - completed

Cycle 5 - completed

Cycle 6 - completed

Cycle 7 - completed

Cycle 8 - completed

Cycle 9 - completed

Cycle 10 - completed

Cycle 11 - completed

Cycle 12 - completed

Cycle 13 - completed

Cycle 14 - voting!

Edited by eggclipse

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really bad? Sangyul, this is an awesome idea! I'd love to enter it, but I'm afraid I'm not good at writing something under 5000 words... All my stuff ends up kind of long, even my shortest chapters and oneshots. ._.

I might try anyway, but I definitely can't guarantee that I'll come up with something good that's under 5000 words. >_<

I discussed the word cap with a few other people who helped me draft the competition. And looking at some of my own chapters and writings, I can see how 5000 might not be enough. The 5k suggestion was mostly because I felt most people wouldn't want to read things that are too lengthy. Anyway … I have a new proposal to the word limit rule then:

All entries MUST be longer than 1000 words and I don't want to accept anything shorter. However, I'm willing to extend the word cap to 10,000 words. I'll be a bit lenient on this as well, for example, if someone ends up at 10,100 words. But I don't want to see people ending at like 11,000 words or something.

Oh, no, I can understand why you chose a length cap of 5000, because like you said, people aren't going to want to write something really lengthy. It would take too much time. :P

But if you're okay with extending the cap to 10,000, that's okay with me too! It's your contest, you get to make the rules. :)

Everything you say there is all fair enough to me though!

Would have loved to join. I've been mulling over a few story ideas. But I'll be out of town probably by the time the first week is over (will be back late Sunday or early Monday).

Maybe the second competition? I need some kind of incentive to start writing and sharpening them writing skills.

This could be a ton of fun, and I need to build my writing chops back up anyway. I might wait until the second competition due to my schedule for this week, though.

So who is actually in the first round?

Myself, Loki, Ana, Jedi, blah

Yeah, sure, I'm in. What is the due date for submissions and how do you put stuff under a spoiler tag?

[spoiler="hide this!"]Nya![/spoiler]
[spoiler=hide this!]Nya!

Hm, maybe next competition. I don't like do-what-you-want challenges. If I had inspiration already, I would be writing. Looking forward to it, though.

Welp, after reading it through and fixing it, you can all read it now~!

Title: Divine Virtue

Fandoms: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Characters: Soren, Hero of Winds

Words: 1204

Divine Virtue

They tried to stop her.

They were divine. The divine were not meant to meddle with humanity. They left them their gift, and if they fought over it, be that as it may.

But that little girl wanted naught to do with the Golden Goddesses’ pacifism.

Her tears became oceans as the fighting went on. So many lands, Hyrule, Labrynna, Holodrum, all were lost beneath her crashing tears.

Only one of the golden goddesses bothered to intervene, at first. She chose to create mountains for the survivors of the pouring tears to live on.

The girl reached the last of the warring continents. A second goddess intervened. The divine girl split in two, and one of them enlisted aide in sealing away the other. The blue flames of the sobbing girl became the legend of the last continent of their world.

And yet, the fighting continued. After over six hundred years, the imprisoned girl’s seal snapped. However, the other half, the half who sealed her away, chose to destroy the last continent, even without her emotion filled other half.

In time, both halves of the girl vanished from the world.

The years since she vanished became centuries. The fighting had ended. All was at peace.

It had been four hundred twenty-five years that the green-tressed branded had been looking for a continent beyond the shores of Tellius. His companion, his one true friend, was long since dead, and the only thing he could do was continue attempting to realize his dream.

He didn’t want to turn back, to return to the continent he was born on, to return to the hatred and discrimination of his infancy. But by this point, it could be believed that he was searching for an invisible needle in a haystack as high as the the tower southeast of the last merchant isle he had visited.

It was odd though, that same tower had appeared a mere six months before. It rose from the sea, tall and mighty as the water spilled from it.

The boy didn’t dismiss it. The moment it appeared, he immediately set his course for it, believing it could be the answer he was looking for. When he arrived, all he saw was a small child, a boy no older than nine, dressed in the green of fields, vanish beneath the sea alongside the red sailboat on which he rode.

He had believed the boy was dead, at first. His boat had sunk into the crashing waves, after all. But when he last visited the merchants at Windfall for supplies, he kept hearing tales of a green clothed child doing favors for everyone in town.

And not just in Windfall were the tales heard. In all four corners of the sea, words were traded of the child people were coming to refer to as “Hero”. They claimed he had the ability to control the breeze and change day to night in an instant.

The branded came to a single conclusion.

He was the key to his friend’s last wish. He could hear his friend’s voice grow louder in the back of his mind, the endless chant of “Soren” telling him that he would achieve his goal soon, because of this boy.

He believed that, clinging to the ray of hope this boy brought.

It had been six years. The boy Soren believed was the key to his friend’s dream was now fifteen, working with a group of pirates in search of the same thing he was.

New land, new tomorrow, new legends to build, that was their goal.

It was only after those six long years that they found it, the continent they hoped to mold into their own.

Soren remained in the shadows of a forest on their continent. He watched as the new civilization began forming, the pirate leader as queen.

Two more years passed. The pirates had vanquished the demon that rose the year before, the boy, known to them as the “Hero of the Winds”, front and center of the victory. He was the queen of the chessboard, the most powerful piece.

And here he was, playing with the forest animals before Soren’s eyes.

He played with them in the strangest of ways. He took out a silver baton, keeping rhythm as the animals sang cheerful tunes.

His state of mind was impossible to read. He played with the animals, smiling as he did so. He hid in the trees, fearful of what the future may hold. Soren couldn’t discern why he chose this strange way of life, over the love of the pirate girl’s kingdom.

When Soren finally emerged from the shadows, he was absolutely terrified.

“Why are you here?” was his first demand. “I’m a hero, you know. I can fight.”

“I was wondering the same about you.” Was the reply the Hero of the Winds promptly and curtly received from the cold half-dragon.

“That is for myself to know. And no one else.” The Hero of Winds drew his blade, pointing it at Soren.

“You fear something.”

“We all have fears.”

“Hmph.” The boy hopped down from his perch. “Are you prepared?”

“Prepared?”

“To die.”

“I’ve been prepared for the last two years.”

“Dying is simply running away.” The boy raised his blade, and Soren saw a glint of gold gleaming on the back of his sword hand.

“Is that not what you are doing by hiding here?”

The boy paused, silent. “The reason I’m here is not for my own safety. I’d be much safer in the castle.”

“So why are you here?”

“The curse the gods granted upon humanity brings naught but hate, naught but suffering, naught but strife.” The boy answered. “I left the castle, left Tetra, left Niko, left Aryll, left everyone, for the sake of protecting them from the curse.”

Soren’s grasp on Rexcalibur tightened. He’d kept it as the last shred of Tellius he had.

“Something will come to find the power I bear, greed overwhelming their heart. And I refuse to repeat my last mistake. They can search and search, but I will continue to ensure that they shall never find the Triforce of Courage.”

Soren was silent.

“The power of the gods is alluring to the weak. So anyone who finds it, finds me, cannot be allowed to live. If I let them go, my location, the location of this power, could easily slip their tongue. So I ask once more. Are you prepared?”

Soren just looked at the boy for a moment. He closed his eyes as the face of a blue haired mercenary filled his mind.

“...Yes.”

The blade drove through him the moment he uttered the word.

I didn't want to kill an innocent.

But I didn't want the past to repeat.

If the path to ensure the Triforce is never used for evil is one spattered with bloody paint, that is the path I must walk.

Jumping into the open just begets destruction.

I learned that at the age of nine.

If running despite the pain it brings is the only way... If that is the courage I must show...

Then this boy's life had to be taken in place of the legions I left.

[spoiler=What I have to say for myself]I'll be honest, I have no idea where this came from beyond a thread I made.

It took me a lot of effort to break 1000 words. And even then, its a random thing to write.

I'll admit this though: I can go off on a tangent explaining every facet of Link's actions here. And yet... I couldn't work in those detailed explanations. The explanation was a bit vague. That disappoints me. Aye, oh well.

Pretty much all I really liked about this is how much length I pulled off.

Rules have been updated, I assume it won't affect most of you but take a look if you wish to do so.

Also, those wishing to enter need only to post their writing in a spoiler tag once they are finished with it. I will be accepting entries until March 29 11:59:59 PST, so there is still time left. Glaceon's entry is a good example to follow for future entrants.

I managed to whip up something I'm pretty satisfied with in a couple hours. ^^ And it ended up a lot shorter than I thought it would, whoa. o.o

Anyway, I decided to finally give people a taste of Kael, an OC that's my imagining of Ike's son. Another character he becomes close to appears in this as well. It's about his struggle in dealing with the pressures he has placed upon him as the son of someone so famous and highly respected. I find it realistic for Kael to be afraid and nervous at first about how people will see him in the future due to this. This bit may or may not be in the sequel to my main FE fic, Dawn of Darkness, though with some alterations so it looks like part of a bigger story.

Btw, some of you might know/remember that I have a co-author. I won't be showing this to him until the contest is over though, as I'd like to see how I can do without his help. I'd like to be a great writer on my own, not just in combination with him. :P Oh, lastly, this clocked in at 1608 words, so it's within your rules, Sangyul.

Hope you guys enjoy. :3

The Son of a Legend

They chose me for this duty… But am I really suitable for it?

The same question kept ringing through the mind of the blue-haired teenage boy lying upon his cot in an old, abandoned warehouse, staring at the clear night sky outside the nearby window. He and his newest friends chose to use the place as their first base of operations since coming together as a group. They were young, aspiring warriors, bent on aiding those in need around them…for a fee, that is. They were to become mercenaries, soldiers for hire. The boy had had this dream since he was a small child, never going a single night without imagining how he would storm bandits and thieves and protect the defenseless. And yet, he was now saddled with a task he never thought he would have to face.

Can I really be a leader just like you, Father?

Indeed, it was sudden, and rather troublesome. The boy had wanted to be a strong warrior and great mercenary, but the prospect of leading anyone had never crossed his mind despite his father’s reputation.

Can I even be as strong as you, Father?

And now, he was questioning his capabilities overall as well, something else he hadn’t done before. Was he in over his head with the wild dreams he chased? The boy would certainly still do his best as a mercenary, but what exactly would “best” be in that case, especially to others given who the boy’s father was?

I just…don’t know!

A grimace then scraped the boy’s face, his golden brown eyes squeezing shut tight, and he was about ready to drive his fist into the wall beside him. However, the room’s door opening interrupted him.

“Kael? There you are, cousin!” a familiar male voice spoke up, snapping the boy out of his trance. Kael looked up to see a green-haired boy close to his age with teal blue eyes. He was garbed in a tattered indigo muscle shirt and dark brown pants while a matching brown headband enveloped his head.

“Or, wait, should I call you Commander now?” the boy continued.

“Oh, hey, Dilan,” Kael greeted, though he could not hide a gloomy tone in his voice. “No, it’s alright. You can just call me Kael. You’re family.”

Dilan arched an eyebrow when Kael’s eyes diverted away from him again.

“Well, alright then. But hey, what’s wrong? Why aren’t you joining the rest of us for a few sparring matches before we get some sleep?” he wondered. “Even Lalita’s out there and ready to go. And you know how she is about getting dressed for anything, even battles.”

“Yeah…” Kael started, pausing with a sigh. “Well, I…I just can’t stop thinking about how everyone wants me to lead this group.”

“What? Kael, you should be happy about that!” Dilan protested, his mouth dropping wide. “All of us only just met mere days ago, and they already trust you enough to lead them. I don’t think many people can say that.”

“You’re probably right, but I think there’s a reason for that,” Kael countered. “How many people do you think would actually name someone they met only a few days ago their leader?”

“Uh… Well…”

“Exactly. My point is, I’m not sure if I can do this. I don’t know if I really should be the leader.”

“Seriously? Come on, that’s a bunch of horse dung! Of course you can lead us! We have faith in you! And you’re the son of Ike, the legendary hero who led a mercenary company to restore Crimea and save all of Tellius!”

“Don’t you see?! That’s just it!” Kael retorted, slamming his fist into the wall for real that time. “Everyone thinks I can do it simply because my dad is effectively the most famous warrior and leader on this planet! Don’t you realize how much pressure I’ve had put on me because of this? When I was little, I wanted very much to be a great warrior like him. It’s been my dream ever since I first heard stories from him and my mother. But when Lalita and I left for Tellius, a lot of people could tell who I was because I’m “the spitting image of Sir Ike! Headband, cape, and all!” We heard a lot of “you two should be just like your parents!” and “Sir Ike was amazing! You must be amazing too!” and other such things.”

“Kael…”

“And then around here, I started hearing people tell me that I should be in the military, become a general, or something else my father did! Or that Lalita should marry into a noble family and be as regal as my mother was! Don’t you get how difficult it is to hear such things, but not at all know if you can really live up to them? Or if you can even make your parents proud at all? My dad only taught me how to fight. And he only taught me his beliefs and values. And about the kinds of jobs mercenaries get hired for. I know nothing of leadership or the military or anything of the sort! How… Just how can people expect such things of me?”

“Kael. I do get it. Believe me you.”

At this, Kael paused for a moment, almost unable to get any words out.

“Huh?”

“Are you really surprised?” Dilan continued. “Kael, Ike is my uncle. His sister is my mother. You think you and Lalita are the only ones to get slammed with high expectations among the people around you? Many times, I hear similar things, that I should be a terror in the battlefield with my uncle’s strength and my dad’s prowess with axes and such. Or that I should learn to use swords in addition to axes. And I haven’t even met Uncle Ike yet! But it’s not stopping me from living my dream of being a great axe fighter and mercenary. And the others, their parents are the famous Greil Mercenaries. They’re told they ought to be as great as they were someday. Don’t you see? You’re hardly alone here.”

“Dilan… I…” Kael stammered, a grimace painting his face again. “You’re right. I can’t believe I didn’t see that before. But I’m still…frightened. I don’t want to end up letting anyone down anyway because of all that.”

“Really? Whoa. You must be serious, because it isn’t like you to openly admit that you’re afraid,” Dilan replied, his eyes growing wide. “But hey, if you don’t do legendary things like your dad did, and people get upset for it, they’re not worth it. What matters is that you make your parents and friends proud. I know Uncle Ike would say the same thing. And he wouldn’t want you sulking like this either.”

At this, Kael finally smiled for the first time in what felt like hours.

“You know, you’re totally right,” he said. “Knowing him, Father would tell me to stop pouting like a toddler, get up, and grab my sword. In those words too. He always was blunt about his criticism and demands.”

“Yeah, see? And your dad didn’t become a great leader in a day, did he?” Dilan pointed out. “He made mistakes, and he even had a couple guys walk out on him when he first took command of the mercenaries. Uncle Ike went and yelled at Begnion’s empress too! Being a leader…heck, even just being a warrior, takes time, practice, and patience, doesn’t it?”

“Heh,” Kael commented. “Aunt Mist has been telling you a lot about my father, hasn’t she?”

“Yep! Growing up, she and Dad would tell me all kinds of stories. I also really want to meet my uncle. He sounds so cool.”

“Ha, Lalita wouldn’t agree with that, unfortunately,” Kael replied with a chuckle. “She’s always complaining about his and my habits… It drives me nuts. People are even amazed at just how different she is from either of us.”

“Ha, I bet! What Lalita does have from Uncle Ike though, other than her eye color, is his stubbornness. I can’t ever get that girl to change her mind on something.”

“Psh, join the club.”

“Yeah. Anyway, you’ll be a fine leader! We can all see it. All Uncle Ike had to start out with was his beliefs and values and a few friends, right? And he passed that all down to you. So just do your best!”

“Yeah, he did,” Kael recalled, standing up from the cot at last. “Everything I know, I learned from him and my mother.”

“Exactly. Use that as best as you can.”

“Right! Dilan, thanks for coming in here and talking with me. I feel a lot better about leading the group now. I’ll most certainly do my best!”

“Awesome! I’m glad I could help you! Just…don’t let us down, got that?”

“Oh, I won’t! Or my name isn’t Kael, commander of the Ike Mercenaries!”

“Yeah! That’s what I want to hear from you! Now, how about that sparring I mentioned before?”

Kael’s mouth widened into a legitimate excited grin.

“I’m ready when you are!”

The two boys made no hesitation to dash out of the room, eager to join their friends outside. Kael was going to lead this band. He had to, for that was what they wanted, and he had to have faith in himself if his friends did. He would do his best and work the hardest he could, just as Dilan had said. And perhaps, maybe his father’s reputation would rub off on him a little. After all, Kael was, in fact, the son of a legend.

Edited by Anacybele

Here's my one:

Title: Kittens, Kittens and more Kittens
Genre: Short Stories
Words: 1141
Main characters: Some cats, myself

Glaceon Armamentalist corrected any spelling and grammatical errors for me (my English sucks).

Kittens, Kittens and more Kittens:

Yeah this topic deals with these adorable pets.
I have lived in the country next to a farm for about twelve years.
In this period, I have dealt with many, many (wild) cats.
Pretty much all types of them:
Brown cats, black cats, one-eyed blind cats, drunken cats and even diesel cats

I have experienced lots of funny, strange, but also sad situations with them.
I want you to tell a few stories about them, all based on true stories.

Brown nightmare:

If a little cat is sick, I tend to adopt it for one or two nights.
So I did it with a cat who had cat flu.
Suddenly, I was woken up by a loud fart.
Five seconds later I smelt what happened.
My entire blanket was a "brown bog".
I didn't know what I should do, because the disgusting stench disseminated in the entire house in a matter of seconds.
In a mad rush I threw the blanket out of the window.
Same goes for the perpetrator, by the way...
I had to air a couple of hours till the smell of shit vanished.

Baby cats:

Which cats are the cutest ones?
Well, of course the baby cats!
Who don't want to hold and stroke a cuddly kitten?
Yeah, I love this feeling.
They're so fluffy and I love their cute face.
It's even more adorable if they start to purr.
I was lucky to discover some baby cats who didn't have a mum or were pushed off by her.
When the cats became larger, my parents mediated them to a new family!

Tippler:

Have you ever seen a drunken cat?
If not, I can tell you so much:
They behave pretty much the same as humans.
In one summer my dad established plastic cups with beer on the flowerbeds to decoy the snails.
It worked.
However not only the snails were decoyed by the elysian smell of beer, but also a tomcat wanted to try out his first beer!
The consequence: he had a few vertigos and didn't know where he wanted to go.
Subsequently, my dad gave him the lovely name "Tippler".

Hunting scenes I:

Friendly and enemy ships also exist among cats.
If two tomcats are battling for their dream girl, this "battle" can be very intense.
The bickering is so loud that it scares me sometimes!
These hunting scenes last several minutes and happen at all times of the day.
After a while it annoys me so much that I slam a door or start to clap very loudly so that this madness would come to an end.

Hunting scenes II:

Cats tend to be very spoiled creatures.
Whenever I open the front door in the early morning, a horde of cats gives me a warm welcome.
In full of expectation of their breakfast, they run towards me.
They surround me so much that I must kick them aside!
However it's not enough:
They will chase me and one cat even gets into my car!
I must always run so that no cat can outrun me.

Garbage chute:

Maybe you sometimes have the problem that you have prepared too much dinner.
Your garbage bin will overflow very fast.
I have an ecofriendly alternative:
Give your residual food to the cats.
They eat everything that's on the table.
Spaghetti, pizza, chocolate, bread etc...
So you don't have to worry about your rubbish.
How awesome is that!

Diesel:

Some people will be confused, why I mentioned a fuel as a title.
Well, the reason is quite easy:
I had a diesel cat!
One day (I believe) in 2004 I noticed a little whining between the tractors of my neighbor (farmer).
I was pretty sure it was the sound of a baby cat.
I keep my eyes open, but I couldn't find anything in this area.
After almost ten minutes I gave up wanted to go back home... but suddenly I noticed something on a diesel tank:
The baby cat!
She was totally sticky, his fur full of diesel.
Diesel is very deleterious if you consume and breath it.
So I went back home to fetch lots of towels.
It was far too ugly to bring home.
My hands stuck.
At home the baby cat got an intensive shower.
She was healthy and I named it "Diesel" from then on.

Blackout:

You don't know, what cats all can do!
They can drink, they can react to video games and they even can cause a blackout!
How did this happen?
Well a cat used the outlet as his personal cat litter box and peed on it.
A blackout in the parlor.
I had to change the outlet.

The demographic change:

The population growth is not only a topical subject for the humanity, but also for cats.
Back in the year 2003 about 4 cats lived on the farm.
Now in the year 2015 there are about 20 of them.
That means a total growth of 500% (42% each year).
Why did the population of the cats explode so much?
Because, it got around that the cats are feeling comfortable at our place.
They got their food (our refuse) and that caused them to stay.
Each year a veterinarian comes around to castrate the tomcats.
Though the problem is, there are still some "black sheeps" - tomcats who can't be found.
So they have an easy job to impregnate female cats and so I look foward to the baby cats each year.

Sad moments:

Each farewell of a cat is sort of painful for me.
Giving a cat to a new family isn't too bad, but it still makes me a little bit sad.
Especially if you have built up a relationship with the cat.
However the saddest farewell is if a cat died.
Unfortunately it happened more than I prefer.
And it even happened to baby cats!
The saddest moment was when I went to the garden and saw a lifeless cat:
It gave me almost no reaction only very poor breathing.
I wanted to save it somehow, but my father gave me almost no hope.
He gave me the difficult choice:
"Either you take it over the night, or you let it in the garden."
The consequence will be the same anyway, because it was too late to be rescue by a veterinarian.
I chose the second choice, because I cannot see a cat dying in my bed. It really would break my heart.
It is pretty obvious what happened when I went to the garden the next day...

Cats can be annoying sometimes in a large number, but they are still a gain for me!
Without them my life would be by far less exciting.
It's all good!
And I think it won't be the final story I will write!
Holding a (baby) cat is simply enjoyable.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach