SF's "Write Your Butt Off!" Writing Competition XIV

Sunwoo

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would a being that had traded his ability to taste food for immense power be acceptable?

Depends on whether or not the inability to taste food matters to that being.

So would an inability to feel anything count? That could be tricky to pull off without some fantastical elements or something crazy.. Hmm (still pondering)

^That and the lack of an ability to feel heat sound like a lack of the sense of touch, which is one of the five senses, so I imagine it would be okay. It's up to eclipse though.

I need to think of how to start my entry soon. >_< Starting is always the hardest part for me for some reason!

Mine is started. So far the hinderance hasn't shown up though...I have a feeling it will be a small part of the story when it does...but as long as it's there I assume I'll be fine.

So would an inability to feel anything count? That could be tricky to pull off without some fantastical elements or something crazy.. Hmm (still pondering)

Feel in terms of touch? Perfectly fine. Feel in terms of emotion? Kinda wanted to focus on the physical side here. . .

Mine is started. So far the hinderance hasn't shown up though...I have a feeling it will be a small part of the story when it does...but as long as it's there I assume I'll be fine.

You're free to do so, but you're missing the point of the theme. . .

Feel in terms of touch? Perfectly fine. Feel in terms of emotion? Kinda wanted to focus on the physical side here. . .

I meant touch, so yeah.

I will still go over how it's a burden, don't worry...and it's either that or me not enter at all, because I'm quite fond of my idea.

I will still go over how it's a burden, don't worry...and it's either that or me not enter at all, because I'm quite fond of my idea.

In the end, I'll let you choose. You know your idea best~!

Title: Feeling

Fandom: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Characters: Hero of Trains! Link, Zelda

Feeling

Princess Zelda thought that Link would melt.

Link was normally covered in soot from the engine, and had gotten several minor burns he had come to live with. Zelda asked if he was alright whenever he burned himself earlier in their journey, but he always brushed it off, saying he was used to it and wouldn’t want to live any other way.

Of course, in this form, Zelda couldn’t actually feel how hot it was. The sun beat down on the mountain without remorse, and Zelda imagined that in that black uniform while near the engine fire, Link would suffer a heatstroke. It couldn’t be healthy for a living human to expose himself to the elements to such an extent.

The train creaked to a stop. Zelda floated out, watching as Link hopped off the train quickly and calmly, even though he looked a bit flushed. She floated after him, wondering how he was able to stay so undeniably focused on the task at hand.

“Link!” She called. He glanced at her quickly, but turned back to the village a moment later. Oh, that was right… people (or in this case, Gorons) who saw him speaking to her thought he was crazy. He was here for an ice delivery, one of the Gorons still had their home blocked off by lava. It didn’t take him all that long, though he still seemed a little hot from the sun and being in such close proximity to the lava, ice delivery or no.

As soon as the little boy promptly hopped back on the train and saluted, Zelda shook her head. “Wait…” she muttered, not failing to note the look of confusion. “Come in the passenger car, please…”

Link shrugged and did as told. It wasn’t the fanciest of cars, a simple wooden one Link had traded some treasure to Linebeck III for, stating that it reminded him of the train he learned to drive on (which broke after the tracks vanished from beneath it). As soon as they entered, Zelda turned back to Link.

“You’re hot, aren’t you?” she asked. “I’m not, since I have no body, but I can tell you are. Just look at you! Your face is red… the sun is relentless, the lava by that house was no doubt ridiculously high in temperature, the engine fire too! You should rest.”

“But we can’t help everyone if we just sit here…” Link replied. Zelda had learned that Link put helping EVERYONE first. He claimed to have reasons, but had refused to tell her whenever she asked. “That includes you.”

It was true that she herself was in quite a predicament, what with lacking her body. And the thought of a demon running around in it just made that predicament worse. But still, if Link collapsed from the heat, that would take the situation and make it all the worse. Besides the Lokomo, who all had their hands full of other things, Link was the only one who could see her, making him vital to getting back her body. She didn’t know what it was that made Link so “special”, but that was his problem, not hers. Whatever it was, it made him important. That was that.

“I know you want to help everyone…” Zelda sighed. “You… you can’t put yourself in that much danger for it! And I don’t mean the monsters! I’m talking about nature! I can’t feel it, but I know you can! You’re still alive and in your body and, and…” If she still had her body, Zelda was certain she’d be sobbing right now. Link, meanwhile, just looked shocked and a little hurt, before regaining his composure and walking over to the spirit princess.

“Calm down,” he muttered. “I’m fine. I’m used to it.”

“No you’re not!” Zelda cried. “You… why? Why do you do this to yourself?”

“You’re a ghost. I can see you. You can’t see it?”

“No, I can’t! Stop being cryptic!” Zelda shouted, angrily looking at the engineer.

Link sighed. “If these people die, and they regret something, you know who suffers for it?”

Zelda backed off, confused. “No?”

“I do. All because I was born with the ability to notice the presence of spirits. When I was little, they came to me like moths to a flame. I couldn’t hear anything besides them, and they completely blocked my vision because spirits apparently deteriorate, and they didn’t want me to see what their deteriorated forms were... I was young, so I couldn’t help them. So I just stayed in my room, talking to them because I didn’t have anything else to do while I was like that. Someone, my grandmother, brought me food, and she’d squeeze my hand… that’s all I really knew about her while she lived, and she died shortly before I learned how to help the spirits and could hear and see again since they had moved on… to find she was a ghost too…” Link felt like crying at this point, but he kept going, since he knew Zelda would stop bothering him about it if she knew. “She was glad to know that I wasn’t really insane when I ignored her and talked to people she couldn’t see. That let her move on. I decided to learn engineering so I could start travelling to help the living so they wouldn’t become spirits with only me for comfort… They were all so sad…” Link actually did start crying now. “I’m blocking out the other spirits so I can help you, since your body is still alive. But I still have to help the living. Do you understand that?”

“Yes… I’m sorry for being so inconsiderate.” Zelda mumbled. “But I do want you to take care of yourself. If you die, they would have nobody, and neither would I. We’d all be doomed to wander as spirits. So rest a while longer, okay?”

Link sighed and smiled. “Please don’t trouble yourself over it, Princess. But if it’s your wish, I’ll stop letting myself suffer from long periods in the heat. I suppose I can offer you that amount of comfort.”

Zelda sighed with relief. Maybe he wasn’t as reckless as she thought he was.

Edit Idk why but the spoiler broke when I first posted. Fixed.

Edited by Glaceon Lord

I don't know if I'll have my entry done in time regardless of when the deadline is set... It's proving really hard to put into words. I did get it started the other day though. Although I've also been sick due to allergies. The only part of spring that I DON'T like...

Edited by Anacybele

Come on people don't make me win by default...

That's no fun...

(if that winds up being the case and I very much hope it isn't, Boron does the prompt again. I won't claim any reward I do not deserve.)

I'll enter if I have time this week. I have an idea, but I just got back from vacation with Shin and am completely tired out.

Also, about the extension: if the majority of entrants/potential entrants are not opposed to it, i have no issue with giving one. The length of the extension should be decided by the current host, but no more than a week at maximum. Regardless of how long an extension is, though, I'm going to try to keep the start of each cycle on a Monday for consistency's sake.

Edited by Sunwoo

I'm not opposed.

My story is taking much longer than I planned it. Haha...

It's probably going to get done today or tomorrow. Need to iron things out unless someone offers to do grammatical/syntactical corrections along the way/once I finish it.

In that case, I'll let eclipse decide the length of the extension when she gets back and sees this thread.