I have an idea for a hack I want to make, but I have no clue how to go about it

Emerick

I've had a want for a game that kind of goes over Matthew and Leila's spy shenanigans and I just got the idea that I might be able to make it myself/with help, as long as I can learn how to hack. I'm not sure what all goes into creating a custom hack, so I guess I'm posting here to put my idea out there and see if anyone can help me out/show me where to get started.

I've got big ideas for it. Nothing too long, 10-15 chapters, I'd say. Maybe some side stuff, like x chapters and maybe some little side quests kinda like in TLP (if I can figure out how to do that)

I'm open to any help, suggestions, ideas, pointers, "you're an idiot" comments, whatever you wanna give me, I'll accept it.

Check out Hacking Resources, for the actual how-tos regarding hacking (and abuse the Search function). Grab Nightmare and its modules, as well as a clean ROM (don't ask where to get it, that's what Google is for). Start small - for example, swap out Lyn for Leila, and alter her growth rates. Once you get comfortable with the small things, doing the bigger ones won't seem so overwhelming.

~you're an idiot~

I second what eclipse said; the pdfs and tutorials go a long way if you're willing to invest a dedicated hour into reading them and going through Nightmare and its modules while reading through it.

Nothing too long, 10-15 chapters, I'd say.

this is way more than you think it is

i'd say that 10 maps is already a decently-sized project for a solo hacker; there's a reason that there are maybe single digit projects that have gone significantly farther.

Well, as I said, it's just ideas at the moment. So once I've learned more about it, I can make more of an educated statement of length/features and whatever.

I don't wanna Icarus it and fly too close to the sun, so I'm completely fine with starting out small.

Well, as I said, it's just ideas at the moment. So once I've learned more about it, I can make more of an educated statement of length/features and whatever.

I don't wanna Icarus it and fly too close to the sun, so I'm completely fine with starting out small.

Just wanted to point out that I love the Icarus analogy. But onto how to get started, the tutorials definitely help. You can also watch GhastStation's fire emblem hacking tutorial videos too. I believe it's in the hacking resource section. There's two episodes so far and I find that it's very easy to follow along.

Just wanted to point out that I love the Icarus analogy. But onto how to get started, the tutorials definitely help. You can also watch GhastStation's fire emblem hacking tutorial videos too. I believe it's in the hacking resource section. There's two episodes so far and I find that it's very easy to follow along.

Haha, thanks ;D I'll definitely look into those, then. Thanks for the tips.

• 1 month later...