So I finally got around to beating Path of Radiance on Hard, first time, although I can't say it was my first time trying it.

Fuck you, Ashnard.

On a side note, I can see why everyone gives Awakening so much shit about it's story and character development. This is the second Fire Emblem game I've completed, and with Awakening being my first... I'm ashamed to say it got me into the series. But I love it all the more for it, nonetheless.

I didn't come here to complain, though.

I've an incoming shipment for Radiant Dawn from a nearby GameStop ($70, jeez) and it'll be here... soon, haha.

My question is, in the meantime, I'm going to be doing a Random Mode Transfer Run.

Now, the characters below I've listed by their priority, Level/Stat Cap-wise.

1. Shinon (Favorite character in the game, don't know why)

2. Ike (Surprise <_<)

3. Elincia (It feels fitting, having her capped)

4. Ranulf (^^)

5. Boyd (Only Fighter, and even in Radiant Dawn, he's one of two)

6. Mist (I've heard she's common to cap, by people?)

7. Mia (It's always easy to have Mia cap... unless she's Strength screwed)

8. Ilyana (I originally left her out, only to grind for supports with Zihark so I can recruit him easier in Radiant Dawn, but I found she wasn't all that bad)

9. Zihark (^^)

10. Soren (Grinded supports with Ike, grew on me)

11. Gatrie (Grinded supports with Shin- you get the drift)

12. Geoffrey (Paragon)

13. Sothe (I heard he kinda gets useless later in Radiant Dawn? I'd like to fix that)

14. Marcia (Heavily suggested)

15. Jill (Heavily suggested)

16. Rhys (Only Bishop, yeah?)

17. Astrid (She needs it, correct)

18. Makalov (For Supporting with Astrid's sake)

My question is: Will this all be possible? I originally wanted all the Greil Mercenaries to be capped, but with Rolf, Titania, and Oscar... I'd rather not. I didn't come here to ask whether or not WHOM I should cap, but rather if its all possible, and if so, how can I... maximize success?

Edited by ~Silver

First off, there is no shame in starting with Awakening, dude.

Anyway, if you're willing to play easy mode and heavily abuse level ups, those may all be possible. Whether some of those are worth the effort? Definitely not. Shinon and Mia are already really good without transfers, Laguz (Ranulf) are hard to level up, Astrid is terrible in RD and even perfect transfers can't fix her, Oscar is a fantastic transfer candidate, Titania as well. Makalov is eh. Definitely Jill. Rhys doesn't get much better or worse with transfers, Sothe is a good idea but it won't make him much more useful than he already is, Geoffrey should be easy, Zihark is a good choice, Mist is great in PoR but crap in RD so transfers won't help, Boyd and Elincia are good choices.

Gatrie and Shinon are pretty hard to level up in PoR because they leave strong but join back weak.

Anyway, if you're willing to play easy mode and heavily abuse level ups, those may all be possible.

Isn't there some glitch with Easy Modes of the game, when the time comes to transferring?

Yeah. Normal mode is also a much safer option, but you might not have enough to transfer all those characters.

HMM.

So I'll have to beat the game in Easy Mode to see if my... Radiant Dawn disk can handle the Easy Mode Transfer?

Can I test it if I just, like, make an Easy Mode file on my PoR Memory Card, and then load up RD?

!EDIT!: I'm suspecting it to get here today, so... Guys? How can I test if my Radiant Dawn disk will work with Easy Files? When is it supposed to crash?

Edited by ~Silver

Can I test it if I just, like, make an Easy Mode file on my PoR Memory Card, and then load up RD?

!EDIT!: I'm suspecting it to get here today, so... Guys? How can I test if my Radiant Dawn disk will work with Easy Files? When is it supposed to crash?

If you try to transfer, it will immediately crash on the PoR file select screen if the Easy Mode file is present. This is me recalling from my RD copy that still has the glitch on it.

I think you should be able to access the PoR file select screen even if you don't have a completed PoR file.

That aside: having it on the lowest difficulty possible makes transfers across characters easier. I would not shame you if you don't do a Hard PoR --> Hard RD transfer. There is a distinct difference of CEXP and BEXP between the modes.

I would go with what Ownagepuffs says, and Jill is a definite sell for me. With personal experience with Part 1 HM, Sothe does make things easier; but, for all the BEXP investment you're going to have to do in PoR Sothe, he may not be worth it in the long run. He does tend to taper off in the end on more normal playthroughs.

If you try to transfer, it will immediately crash on the PoR file select screen if the Easy Mode file is present. This is me recalling from my RD copy that still has the glitch on it.

I think you should be able to access the PoR file select screen even if you don't have a completed PoR file.

Can you REALLY confirm this?

Because I just got Radiant Dawn, and everything seems fine: except I had deleted my PoR completed file. So I wasn't asked anywhere to Transfer Data.

So since I hadn't crashed, and I have an Easy Mode save (Prologue) all is good?

I may have been wrong about the PoR completed file thing. I've always had a PoR completed file since having RD.

It should have crashed once RD asks you to transfer a file and you hit yes to go to the PoR file select screen. I distinctly remember not being able to select a file, instead getting a loud noise.

If necessary, I can try to provide (crappy) images of when it crashes. It would have to be tomorrow and I can edit this post if need be.

I scored 3 transfers on HM. So that gives you an idea of how much the difficulty can affect a transfer run.

I managed to transfer Ike, Titania, Jill, Nephenee and Mia in my last HM transfer run of the game. That was no mean feat however, but proper allocation of segmented BEXP and Statboosters go a long way towards helping out.

Essentially, aside from level 8 unpromoted, BEXP doesn't convert into EXP at a 1:1 ratio. It doesn't check the ratio properly though, and instead just rounds down at every opportunity. So you can allocate set amounts of BEXP up to the point where the game tries to make you pay that extra BEXP and avoid it, thus saving BEXP.

Example

It costs 111 BEXP to go from level 11 to level 12 if you dump it for a full level. This means that it costs 1.11 BEXP per point of EXP for that level. If you allocate the BEXP in increments of 9, then that .11 decimal never reaches 1, so when you repeat the process all the way to level 12 you essentially save 10 total points of BEXP. This seems small, but it adds up, and helps for maxmising it fully.

I made this sound a lot more complicated than it is, so really all you have to do is measure at what point it starts costing you more than 1 BEXP for 1 EXP once you hit level 9 unpromoted, then allocate just under that amount repeatedly.

Edited by Irysa

A little foreknowledge goes a long way. That's impressive to get 5 transfers. I got 3 on my first PT since I was nub but looking back on it I could've definitely squeezed in Marcia, Tanith, and Titania. I was pretty wasteful with BEXP because the amount you get is lol. I dumped BEXP into several characters I didn't even use just for fun. I felt like a rich person buying stupid things because I could.

Actually I just remembered Astrid, so I got 4 transfers. Then again Paragon is lol so I don't even know if I should count Astrid.

just having an easy mode file on your memory card will cause it to crash.

Do your run on normal. Ignore the laguz because they at most can only cap like 1 stat and they often need stat boosters to do it.

i was able to get 25+ characters to 20/20 for transfers with alot of Exp abuse.

Getting 15 characters transfered should be fairly easy.

just having an easy mode file on your memory card will cause it to crash.

Okay, seriously?

So since I have an Easy Mode Prologue save of Path of Radiance on my Memory Card, and I've already played a few chapters in Radiant Dawn, I'm in the clear?

Because again, I deleted my cleared PoR file, so I don't get the option to transfer.

I don't want to play an entire PoR Easy-Mode Transfer Run, and end up being like, super bummed.

I'm a bit confused.

You said you don't have a cleared PoR file. You didn't have the option to transfer. You played a few chapters in RD.
So you didn't get to the PoR file select screen?

I can try to get photos real quick. Might edit this post.
Edit: Alright. Crappy photos to illustrate RD crash in spoiler tags (forgiveness for the large images)

image_zpsl6zxzw74.jpg
So I start up Path of Radiance.

image_zps9s86n8lo.jpg
This is my main memory card that happened to have an empty file. First test will not put anything on that file slot.

image_zpscoryw32s.jpg
This is a second memory card that had no PoR system data. For the sake of illustration, I will create a PoR system data and Easy mode save. This has no PoR clear data.

image_zpsljxjsqc1.jpg

image_zpsepbccdwo.jpg
Easy Mode saves are red.

image_zpsbe0k5bva.jpg
Now over on Radiant Dawn...

image_zpsseb1tlhk.jpg

image_zpscb6sches.jpg

image_zpsghiy9n6y.jpg
This is my main memory card. Notice how one of the files is called Maniac Mode despite there is no Maniac Mode in NA PoR. The reason why RD crashes is because Easy Mode didn't exist in JPN PoR and I guess there is no equivalent in NA PoR that can match Easy Mode to a different mode that existed in JPN PoR.

image_zpszz4aplrz.jpg
By having no cleared PoR save on the second memory card, I don't get the choice to pick a PoR file. Picking the RD difficulty comes after the PoR transfer screen.
Sorry if what I said earlier led to you deleting your file.

image_zpsvozpavte.jpg
Now going back to PoR for a split second, I'm going to create an Easy Mode file on my main memory card.

image_zpsmgqjckjm.jpg
But once I hit yes on this screen...

image_zpsfudpen4i.jpg
This is what happens. No files to select, I can't quit out of this screen, and there is a long sound that will keep going until I force the Wii to shutdown.

Later copies of RD should have the glitch fixed. Now if there was a way to know if your copy was a later one or an earlier one...

Edited by Dual Dragons

Alright. So I'll have to do like, a speed-run then, Easy Mode Style.

I think I understand. Thanks for all the effort you put into this, Dual.

Make sure you don't neglect the few bosses on recovery tiles in this game. If you're not afraid of being bored to death, you can have your guys level off of attacking them, waiting for them to heal, then attacking again. Besides those on healing terrain (I can't remember if there are any others besides Bertram and Ena) you can probably also grind against Shaeffer for a while, the boss of the temple chapter (right after Ena's chapter) by having priests allied with the enemies heal him after being shoved next to him. Be careful with that dude as he has both a killer axe and a killer bow.

*clasps hands together*

Alright! So, no wonder why someone returned this disc to GameStop: Because it's crashing when I try to transfer.

So, apparently, I have one of those discs that need to be shipped.

Does anyone know how exactly I contact Nintendo? If that's what I'm supposed to do? Or is it just... stuck?

Also! Do they even still fix these discs? Am I screwed here?

!EDIT!: Well, yes I am!

I called NoA and apparently the only solution is to erase any traces of Easy Mode data from my PoR save(s). I kept trying to explain that I'd LIKE the Easy Mode data, as it'd make everything easier, and repeatedly asked if there WAS any way to resolve this issue (I.E. sending it in...) but NOEP.

I'm really bummed now. This even further limits the amount of characters I can cap. I'm guessing Nintendo refuses to fix these disks any longer?

Edited by ~Silver

• 2 years later...

I know this is old, but I recently did a transfer run and there was a lack of resources online to really help me maximise it. I plan on writing an faq next time I do a transfer run to reach just a few more caps here and there.

I managed to cap 32 of my units and transfer a total of 96 stats, plus Sothe's stats. 

If anyone's interested I can go into more detail on how I did it, but the average stat faq on Gamefaqs helped tremendously (even tho it got some info wrong, which cost me a Stefan def transfer). So maybe just use serenes lol. Bexp abuse is also very important, is what let me cap 5 stats on Marcia and 4 on many other units. I boss abused often, and didn't worry too much about turn count for bexp since it was used mostly for finishing a level up. At the top of my head, I remember boss abusing chapter 9 so that Mist and Rolf wouldn't need too much babying, the chapter where you rescue Kieran, Nephenee and Brom, the desert chapter with the laguz (which really helped me max out my healers), Petrine, Bertram, Ena, and the boss before the Black Knight.

I beat the Black Knight in this playthrough, but I plan for a future run and recommend just running away. For one, the fight is rng based so it would suck to die and have to replay the chapter. Especially if you boss abused. Second, it's actually possible to cap a stat or two on Ena if you're lucky, have a bunch of extra bexp lying around, or don't mind using a stat booster or two if no one else needs it. 

I reset probably a hundred times, and that's just for bexp abuse for Tormod alone. Also reset a few times during the Bertram chapter trying to level up Volke's str so he'd be strong enough to boss abuse. That reminds me, a useful tactic I used several times in a run is boxing in an enemy archer and letting a weaker unit wail on him a bit and get the kill. And one more thing, Reyson is really useful in Ena's chapter since he can heal. So helpful since her weapon doesn't break.

My run took just over 90 hours plus all the time to reset over and over, including one unfortunate death 120 turns into a boss abuse chapter. So I estimate at least 92 hours in total.

Finally, here's all my transfers. I went for stats in particular so there's a lack of supports which I'll make sure to squeeze in on my next run.

Ike str skill sp def

Elincia mag skill res

Tanith str skill sp

Largo (which transfers to Calill) hp str skill sp

Calill mag

Stefan str skill sp

Haar skill sp

Tormod mag skill sp res

Nephenee str skill sp

Mist mag sp res (just 2 away from skill, thanks gamefaqs) :c

Rhys mag skill res

Soren mag skill sp res

Marcia str skill sp def res (isn't she beautiful?)

Jill str skill sp def (so much reset abuse)

Giffca str (hey, it's free)

Gatrie hp str skill def

Brom hp str skill def

Shinon skill sp def

Titania skill sp (could've capped others, but she was an afterthought. I'll fix it next time)

Oscar str skill sp def

Zihark str skill speed

Mia str skill sp

Astrid str skill sp

Reyson skill (sad face. I'll have to reset abuse him a bit next time to get at least mag and maybe res)

Makalov str sp def

Devdan str sp

Volke str skill sp

Boyd hp str skill sp

Rolf str skill

Kieran str skill sp

Ilyana str mag skill res 

And finally, Sothe.

Hp str mag skill sp luck def res

37 20    4     20   20  24   20  16

Next time I'll cap his hp and try to level his luck evey single time. And he gets the Ashera icons ofc since no one can cap luck but his transfers. Also his res becomes 15 since that's his cap in RD but yeah. 

So what you guys think? Anything I could've done better? Any other units worth considering? What about supports, assuming I can do as many as possible? 

Also let me know if y'all have any questions or need any help with doing a transfer run, I'll be glad to offer my assistance