Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown IV: ~Sky High Soaring~

ErrantDShepherd

So... Our third Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown winner... was Lt.Smirks, with Best Overall Sprite and Best Animated Sprite!
Together with Best Larger Sprite and Best Regular Sprite winners Etain and Kitsu, and runners up Merc and vilkalizer(as Sea Lion opted out)... we bring you... Round 4!

----

THEME/TOPIC: "Sky High Soaring" make an original/non-derivative FLYING character, that must be airborne or in flight.

(Non-Derivative means... No published characters or fan characters, like Laguz, Pokemon, or Power Rangers, etc... however tropes like Mechs, Griffons, Pegasi, Dragons are all fair game as long as the character is original to you)

Examples... Prehistoric, Mythological, Steampunk, Mechanical, Biological, Alien, Mounted, etc is up to the artist's discretion

Our example Entry: (does not have to match format)

e66f9604649dc90361444083e04ef1ba.png
-Dragon and Rider for example... Reminder: Do not make a Fire Emblem Wyvern.

REMINDER: entry must be an original character in flight, NOT be a character from Fire Emblem, or any other series, or published work.
------

Rules of the competition for your reference.
[spoiler=Rules]
RULES:
1) only 1 entry per contestant, either in the Full Custom division or in the Splice/Edit division.(Animated may be a division if enough entries are in to justify it)
-Please declare which division you fall under to avoid potential confusion.
2) No voting for your own entry!
3) Entries should be limited to 16 colors.(15 colors+ 1 background color) This is more of a guideline, but good to follow for style and challenge reasons. Colors may be custom or using GBA sprite palletes.
4) No posting previous/old works! This means no edits/recolors of something previously made as well.
-allowing previous/old works would give an unfair advantage to certain entries, two weeks is a good amount of time to work on an entry... how fair would it be to have to go up against something someone spent months or even a year on?
-creating brand new works, encourages creativity and artistic growth and development, kinda what the whole art forums are about... isn't it?

[spoiler=Voting and Winners]
Depending on Entry types and total number we will either go with split divisions for typically Full Custom and Splice/Edit entries, or single division. (Over 20 entries, or sizable enough division for both entry types will result in Split Division voting)
----
[spoiler=IF SINGLE DIVISION]
VOTING:
Voting will be split into two categories,
-Best Overall Sprite (Single Vote)
-Pick the ones you like (Multiple votes)

>Voting will run for 3 days
>Highest combined Votes=Best Overall Sprite

WINNERS:
Winner of Best Overall Sprite will come from combination of single vote and popular choice votes.
> Winner of the Best Overall Sprite gets to choose the next theme/topic of the following contest.

Runners-up will be the two contestants with the next highest votes following the winner.
> Winners and Runners-up must provide their choices within 3 days of the host's private messaging. Host will provide the next theme/topic if no reply in 3 days.

[spoiler=IF SPLIT DIVISIONS]
VOTING:
Voting will be split into three categories,
-Best Full Custom (single vote)
-Best Edit/Splice (single vote)
-Pick the ones you like (Multiple votes)

>Voting will run for 3 days
>Sprites will be categorized following the voting
>Highest combined Votes=Best Overall Sprite
>Highest vote Full custom=Best Custom Sprite
>Highest vote Splice/Edit=Best Edited Sprite

WINNERS:
Winner of Best Overall Sprite may also be the winner of Best Full Custom, or Best Splice/Edit category.
> Winner of the Best Overall Sprite gets to choose the next theme/topic of the following contest.

Runners-up will be the two contestants with the next highest votes following the winners.
> Winners and Runners-up must provide their choices within 3 days of the host's private messaging. Host will provide the next theme/topic if no reply in 3 days.

----

DEADLINE: 11:59pm PST Sunday April 12th.

Any further questions or concerns can be PMed to the current host!(That's me Errant, currently) ...or posted in the feedback and discussion thread here to avoid thread derailment.

Hope you all enjoy and have some fun! Lets get spriting! :D

----

PS: On in thread disputes, from the pinned Spriting and Competition thread.

There has been a lot of arguing amongst members in these forums (especially the competition sub-forum). I know that people can disagree and small quarrels are not a big deal but the sad part about this is the argument always gets out of hand. This is not only a frustration for myself and your fellow members but it is also thread derailment which is against the code of conduct.

The point of the competition threads are to enter in the competitions, to give critique to those who enter, and to vote for your favourite entry, not to bicker about who isn't following the rules of the competition. It is up to the person in charge of the competition to decide who does or doesn't follow the rules, not the participators and other members. If you want to have heated arguments with each other or think an entry is breaking the rules then do so via the personal messenger or some other form of private conversation.

----

PPS: ...wanting to sprite but don't know where to start, or just want some advice on how to improve? Check out the Spriters Resource thread and/or check some of these out.

[spoiler=Helpful Tutorials]
Here's a good tutorial on use of colors in pixel art and spriting... and some others that may be a bit more advanced... but good reads anyways...

Thinking in Color
-Excellent easy to understand tutorial on how colors effect your pixel art/sprite. Definitely worth the read!

Derek-Make Games: 10 step custom sprite tutorial
-great quick, easy tutorial on custom pixel art/sprites.

So you Wanna be a Pixel Artist? 11 part series.
-A bit wordy, but very well done in-depth look at the world of pixel art in general, from map tiles to sprites to animations.

BwdYeti's tutorials are very recommended reads as well. Please share if you know of any other excellent tutorials! :D

...so here are the links to BwdYeti's custom battle sprite tutorials... Shared with his permission. I found his second tutorial, along with the Thinking in Color very fascinating on palletes... Hoping to apply those to my next couple sprites now that I understand it a bit better.

BwdYeti's Custom Battle Sprite Tutorial #1
-kinda old, from before 2009... But a great look at the process of creating custom battle sprites from the Best Battle Spriter around... Then and now.

Yeti's custom tutorial #2
-his second tutorial, even better than the first! Great tips on creating a custom pallete that fits with GBA battle sprite colors. A must read for anyone doing battle sprites!

---

Anyways, hope these help! Good luck, and good spriting! ;)

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Eh, I don't think I'll be entering this one. I just don't have any ideas... I did try to think of something. But no, nothing is coming to mind, unfortunately.

Eh, I don't think I'll be entering this one. I just don't have any ideas... I did try to think of something. But no, nothing is coming to mind, unfortunately.

bird laguz?

bird laguz?

(Non-Derivative means... No published characters or fan characters, like Laguz, Pokemon, or Power Rangers, etc... however tropes like Mechs, Griffons, Pegasi, Dragons are all fair game as long as the character is original to you)

morp

Yeah, no laguz or fan characters. And even if they were allowed, I wouldn't be able to do them because I've already sprited every kind of bird and dragon laguz as well as flying mounted units. And you can't use old works.

... Is a person with wings acceptable? I have some ideas about that.

... ... ...

Yes it's good. As long as he's airborne.

Yep, what Merc said. :)

Liking the Ghostly Dude and Zeppelin... very curious to see what other come up with as well. :D

@Merc

Nice... When pigs fly, indeed. XD

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Lt. smirks has agreed to take over as host of the BBSS comp, as I am crazy busy with papers and finals in the coming weeks.

I asked Smirks to take over due to his clear enjoyment and enthusiasm towards the contest/competitions in general. He has also been in the winners and runners up threads for this particular comp a number of times so has a good sense of how to go about it.

Please give him your support, I know he will be an awesome host and will do his best to keep this great comp running smoothly! :D

(Unsure at the moment if this means we'll just set up a new entry thread so Smirks can edit it freely as the new host.)

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

9e04be0ecf4a45afe0bf4382b4928060.png

Cecilia of the Damned, a character of mine. Full custom. This is literally my first sprite ever so I apologize for how amateur it is, but I wanted to see how I'd do with a tutorial I found online that's similar to how I normally do my digital art.

You're probably not going to see me in later contests, I wanted to try my hand at it but I don't like the process very much. I thought the tutorial I found would make the process not as egregious but it wasn't enough to convince me to keep doing it; but I put so much time and effort into this one for this contest that I'm going to enter with it anyway.

You're free to give critique if you want, since I'm probably not going to participate again I won't find it particularly useful, but it could help out other spriters who want to improve their skills.