Saifors' topic of sprites

saifors

I thought I had made a topic before, huh, maybe another forum.

Anyway, you're not here for my rambling, but for sprites.

So here's some sprites I've made:

hJg4gtZ.png

First up we have, well, me. I decided to restart my mug from scratch as the one in my Avatar is like 2 years old by now. Posting it to get some constructive criticisim before making it my new avatar.

H4wt5ll.png

Then there's this guy, he's called Daniel and he's an OC lord guy I made, well the updated version of him there was an old version of him I made a few years ago and looking at it made my eyes hurt.

TSn9Sw0.png

Enter the Vaike.

I also made Vaike from Awakening in FE8 style, he's my favourite character in Awakening, just for his amazing quotes. I tried doing something cool with his pose although the result is a pose, that doesn't really fit his personality that much... Oh well.

2tgOPD6.png

I also made a sprite of this girl, imagine a cookie in your hand if you recognise her.

t0wCOtz.pngMsUsxt0.png

And the there's these two battle sprites I made for the biweekly BS competition.

That's all I'm posting for now. Still have some left over, I'll probably post those later after some fine-tuning.

Edited by saifors

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for starters on your avatar mug, I don't know how tank he is supposed to be, but I think he needs some neck reduction under his chin otherwise he looks really short necked. On a side note I think the hair is pretty good.

Edited by Kai Shiden

Thats a bit better, although now his jaw line on our right towards where his ear would be looks a bit jaggedy and pillowed with those changes you made. I think that part was better the way it was before.

Next I would probably toouch up the shirt a bit. It looks really 2D and flat against the chest. The jacket also looks flat on top of the shirt. To fix this you need to change the shirt shading a bit and maybe the shape of where it covers the skin to be more natrually curved.

So here's some more sprites:

qhH89IC.png

Cain archetype red cavalier guy, no name for yhim yet.

wOh9vIk.png

I also remade the dog, don't ask me what dog race it is, I just decided to make a dog.

JzAOWvc.png

Some guy you might have seen before.

If it matters, your old sprite topic is here:
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34716

Oh... Oh god... it hurts looking at this now...

Saifors enters with his SmokeWeed Every Day stoner sprites hahaha

What happened to playdough hair?

Your avatar is much better now, The shading on the our left on his jacket (the part covering his chest) probably needs some touching up, at the moment it gives off the shape that hes wearing a bar of soap underneath jacket, also I think it could be wider (cover more of his left arm, because at the moment it looks like he has a narrow chest.

As for for your red Cain Knight, I'm not sure if you wanted to give him facial hair or a butt chin of justice, but theres some funny shading at his chin and also his neck underneath his chin and above his collar, I'd suggest maybe look at Colm's chin and neck shading, because his head is at a similar angle.

The dog is pretty awesome, although its hard to tell if its wearing a metallic hat or a beanie

Captain Falcon is kinda of tough to make, it doesnt quite look like his helmet is matching the angle of his face. it looks like his face is slightly more turned to us, while his helmet is turned slightly away from us. I suggest maybe looking at this picture of him, for a reference if you want to keep the same face angle:

http://i.imgur.com/GxVXLe3.png

But if you want to change it to match the helmet angle, maybe look at this image:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GQVrj0S6DUo/U8W-k0MiYsI/AAAAAAAAFoo/k6-anaZbSAo/s640/smash-bros-wii-u-captain-falcon.jpg

Its kind of hard because a lot of his pictures have his head tilted down, while your choice has his head tilted back slightly. Also his closest shoulder's shading makes it look like his shoulder is turned more sharper towards us than the rest of his body. You will want to change the shading a bit on the left side of his closest shoulder.

Here's some actual new sprites:

DidTr5M.png

Armor guy with eyes closed, seemed like an interesting character trait

y1V3RJu.png

And a manakete girl, that isn't a loli.

Edited by saifors

Your improvements to your old mugs are better now. I also just realised the 'Cain' has a really big head, especially when compared to your other mugs.

As for your new mugs, the armour guy is pretty good. Few points;

his far eye is odd because the top of his eye is shorter than the bottom of his eye, also its a little bright for the far side of his face.

The few outline colour lines on his armour I think are unecessary as you already are using the normal colours of shading to shape his armour which is pretty good except for that random 3rd shade line at the center of his chest piece.

As for the manakate girl. I think her neck is a little too thin for the size of her head and also gives off a the vibe shes sticking her head forward. her hair also needs a bit more work, its very pillowed in some spots and not very flowy despite the shape it makes as it falls on her shoulders. Also I'd try to avoid using outline colour in her hair unless you are using to seperate hair on somone's head from one thats on a ponytail behind them.

You corrected the problem I noted with the eyes on the knight. I should of specificd that the bottom of far eye was longer than the top of it.

The other two look better too, however the manakate girl now looks cross eyed and either Cain's mouth is too far foward or his nose is too far back.

the detail on these sprites are great, but perhaps you can put some variety into their expressions so they dont all look like =|

Thanks but, the =I face is kind of like the default expression for face sprites.

Bmtzb79.pnggnXMeOr.png

I think that should have fixed it.

On Alpha's point on the eyes, the eyes help convey a majority of expressions. Like even Eliwood and Franz both have default expression mouths, but their eyes convey two different things, Eliwood looks happy and Franz looks concerned.

Pardon the edits but I have played around with manakate girls eyes to show you what sort of things you can do with them.

FE%20Saifor%20eyes%20example_zpsddpxncow

They're nothing fancy, but you can see the eye shape and choice of using more of the lighter colours vs darker colours can also vary the expression being conveyed.

Edited by Kai Shiden

9aobEmf.png

So something like this, I think it looks somewhat different.

CWP1PlI.png

Also made an Abel archetype to go along with the Cain one, I guess his expression is slightly different.

kyZfo3Y.png

Feel the power of a warrior~

Made this Warrior Jeigan guy, I tried doing something fancy with the helmet, kind of backfired. Also his shoulder pads are kind of annoying to do as I'm trying to include the spikes without breaking the hackbox.

Abel looks really cross-eyed, and he's jutting his neck out a bit.

I like the jeigan warrior's head, he looks like a jolly dwarf or something, and I actually like the helmet. The spikes need a lot of work, they're sharp, get those curves out of there! Also, despite taking up the whole hackbox he looks a bit dinky build wise. I think it's because his head is gigantic.

I think your line work needs a bit of work, a lot of these people look kinda lumpy in places :/

• 3 months later...

Sooooooo... 4 months have passed, apparently I'm almost as bad at keeping my sprite topic updated as I am with my YT channel...

So here's some stuff:

CoXJHpo.pngkFkmLww.png

Some old grumpy brothers that live together for some reason.

0cfpmmQ.png

I already sprited Sayo (The girl with light purple hair) so I might as well do Koh as well.

60mZdWS.png

I have a feeling I completely screwed up the "scar over eye"

exPDTtq.png

There's also this ray of sunshine.

H8gXu6N.png

I still suck at spriting/drawing girls, more news at 7.

HmUL1K3.png

This guy is evil, you can see it in his eyes, an the fact that he turns his head away like anyone but him is garbage.

kdzlD1H.png

I tried to not go over the palette limit, but it just was not meant to be, oh well I just did it for the nookie.

3pvAxdV.png

What's that? Completely destroyed the hackbox? Well, maybe it could be inserted into FEXNA, I just wanted to sprite this badass.