Crazy Idea I just had

MCProductions

So I dipped into rom hacking recently, and while my first hack was decent at best and abysmal at worst, I would like to begin on a much larger project.

A full custom hack called Fire Emblem Utopia. I've been thinking of ways to make it stand out from other hacks for quite a while.you know, 3 days lol. And this idea came to me today, one map for every "chapter" that is quite large and is meant to be the entire in game world. In other words, a open world FE game.

Tho this isn't my only idea for this hack, it is the biggest one that I would like to implement, and as such I am curious if either FE 7 or 8 can support such a sizable map. I would stick with FE 6 but you can't do as much with nightmare as you can in 7 or 8, but if 6 is more workable with this concept, I will go back to it and forego FE2 bow range as a feature.

So in short is this workable, a good idea, or completely bonkers.

other ideas for project Utopia are a fully custom story, custom characters, a custom world set on a island, custom soundtrack, and a bunch of other nifty features.

I haven't decided on much for this hack yet other these few things that I know will be implemented regardless of where the hack winds up down the road.

the Syphon Filter theme will replace the FE theme in the main menu because nostalgia

and bows will have 1-5 range like in Gaiden because why not.

I would put screenies but I haven't even properly started on this yet and don't even know if this is a good idea, so I made this thread to disscuss my plans for this project and learn if they would even be good ideas.

Your idea isn't super original, plenty have had the idea, but without setting up some EN-style hub system, it gets super tedious. Or, go play Divinitas, RiskyPlus' project. It has an open world, fairly well integrated too. It's the only one that can claim that though. (Edit: Also, Risky is working on a pretty sick FEXNA project in the beta chat, for those that remember him!)

Edited by Klokinator

Oh, well crap, I thought I was being original.

I want Utopia to be something very original that hasn't been done before. However, outside of FEshrine(which is lacking), there doesn't seem to be a list out there of hacks that have been made. Honestly, this is one of the few things the Sonic fanbase does right, SonicRetro has a list of hacks that is constantly updated that keep you informed of whats been done and what hasn't.

Is there a page like this for FE, because I would like to know whats been done, so I can make a workable original concept. So far, all I've really played are EN, FE7CM, Midnight Sun, and The Last Promise. These hacks are all highly impressive, and I would like to build up on where I feel they suceed, be original, and make a overall good hack.

also, remove RNG abuse necessity, EN and LP both feel like this is a requirement somtimes

That said, since I'm weird, I would like, above all else to create something that is original, and is a game that fair in its difficulty, something I've never seen FE, hacked or unhacked, truly accomplish.Of course, that isn't a weird sentinment, but whatever this project winds up doing will likely prove my point.

Edited by randomsonicvideos123

FE's hacking community isn't terribly massive, but there's still enough (high quality) stuff out there that doing anything that really stands out from the crowd is going to require some ASM hacking. Be prepared for that.

FE's hacking community isn't terribly massive, but there's still enough (high quality) stuff out there that doing anything that really stands out from the crowd is going to require some ASM hacking. Be prepared for that.

Yeah, tho honestly the only thing I can come up with now could probaly be done with Nightmare only, tho it would stand out for ALL the wrong reasons.

think Super Mario 64 Chaos Edition, and you got this concept.