SMT x FE lives; Nintendo Direct trailer

Ok.

So this game seems to have a lot to do with music. That girl was putting headphones on in one seen, Tiki's face was plastered on some posters like an idol, and when they were fighting in that area place, they were surrounded by a crowd and laser lights like a concert. It might be a bit of a stretch, but definitely interesting.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How horrifically disappointing.

You can fuse together the overall elements of each series for a crossover and SMTxFE is doing exactly that.

where's that
all i see is lots of persona and TnA, neither of which are FE
Edited by angelar

So they summon and fuse with Fire Emblem characters to fight.

Saw at least Caeda and Tiki. Possibly Marth and Lyn?

Maybe Kieran? Maybe some archer, idk that one didn't look recognizable as a FE character to me.

It's really no wonder even Bill had to go "Yeah, this is SMTxFE" given how different it is. I'm curious as to how it will turn out from here but for now this is definetly different than what I was expecting.

I remember watching the entire trailer and wondering what this was supposed to be, and then only getting it after he explained.

SMT was great not only because how dark it got but also how philosophical the games became, especially when making moral choices leading to having a chaos, neutral, or law alignment.

I feel like the hardest choice you'll have to make in this game is which waifu to choose. :( I really hope I'm wrong, but considering how many of the scenes included idols...

Edited by SonicSpinner

where's that

The colour coding and overall aesthetic choices in the character's outfits resembling previous FE characters and, even moreso, previous FE classes.

The pegasi and other mounts which are now motorbikes.

The Armourknight and General looking enemies, along with the ones which designs are eerily inspired by Risen.

The school emblem resembling the Shield of Seals.

Swords, spears, bows and magic.

So from Fire Emblem we get Swords and Magic, and from SMT we get high schoolers, Tokyo, and maybe the battle system (hard to say since they didn't really show any of it)?

So basically, unless the battle system is from SMT, you could replace FE with any other fantasy RPG and SMT with any other "real world" rpg and get the same result.

FE seems to inspire a lot of the human visual design; the 'transformations' the main party are taking are clearly FE class inspired, and I have a feeling you can expect that the various NPCs throughout the game are going to be analogues or direct cameos of actual Fire Emblem characters. I know Intelligent Systems has also expressed desire to do a modern FE at some point in time, although they're not the core development team.

SMT meanwhile seems to have inspired everything else - being set in modern tokyo is the biggest one (Literally, this is a defining element to mainline SMT and is literally the developer-reported reason for why Strange Journey couldn't be called SMT4, as it wasn't set in Tokyo), but also the suggested themes of sub-realities/monsters interfering with real life, the visual design (The dungeon glances seen have a very... what's the word? Sci-fi modern glamour? feel that does remind me of some of the more colorful Nocturne locations, Raidou Kuzunoha, etc), and especially on monster design. It's probably going to play heavily into the story too.

Given they've opted to give it a new title instead of raw SMT, I wouldn't expect it to carry the traditionally dark/dangerous atmosphere or law/chaos attributions that are typical to SMT, but it's not like this is the first spinoff they've done that didn't follow quite what tradition was either. And it being "too anime" doesn't preclude it from these kinds of things (see Devil Survivor).

The battle engine, from what I could glimpse and can guess, definitely seems highly SMT in interface... but there appears to be a mixture of combination attacks, turn order control, etc. to add an extra layer of strategy likely inspired by FE?

Edited by Tormod

LOL even if I'm the only one who's actually excited for this game, that won't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it. I'm so hyped and it looks great and I think I'm just going to start laughing at the people who are salty over it

The only thing I can say is it looks more like a Nippon Ichi game then Atlus but who knows It could have a good story.

This isn't what I was expecting at all.

Was thinking we'd get more obvious inclusions of SMT/FE characters - I really don't feel like I see anyone who is obviously 100% a character from either franchise.

I think I'm actually more interested in that it seems to be trying to be its own thing with influences from both instead of crossover.

Robotic Rocket Pegasus was nifty though.

Edited by ckc22

SMT meanwhile seems to have inspired everything else - being set in modern tokyo is the biggest one (Literally, this is a defining element to mainline SMT and is literally the developer-reported reason for why Strange Journey couldn't be called SMT4, as it wasn't set in Tokyo), but also the suggested themes of sub-realities/monsters interfering with real life, the visual design (The dungeon glances seen have a very... what's the word? Sci-fi modern glamour? feel that does remind me of some of the more colorful Nocturne locations, Raidou Kuzunoha, etc), and especially on monster design. It's probably going to play heavily into the story too.

In all honesty, I really don't see the SMT in there. The Tokyo bit may be a staple of the franchise, but it isn't exactly relevant to the feel of the game. Nocturne's Tokyo was Tokyo only in name, as the Demi-Fiend wandered in the desolate Vortex World, filled with strange and offlandish creatures more than anything else. Philosophical interrogations, morals and conflict are at the heart of the intrigue. Persona games have you spend time in high-school with teens in not-Tokyo, it's a lot about style, scoial interactions and the average teen clashing with the arcane. This game seems to have pretty much all the Persona themes so far... except it's in Tokyo.

This is actually fucking disappointing. Like, supremely disappointing, holy shit. I love Atlus games, but judging by this trailer, I have to say they dropped the ball on this one. I don't have that much familiarity with the SMT brand line, I do however, have a great deal of adoration for the DS spinoffs, "SMT: Devil Survivor". The the devil survivor games have a really compelling story, great characters, and a great battle system. SMT itself is, from what I've researched, an even more darker "version", so to speak, of the Devil Survivor games.

Now, I've also played Persona 3, (though I've yet to beat it) but it's not a game that I dislike. I'm an anime fan, so I'm not foreign to the tropes and such used in such games. I don't hate persona, in fact I enjoy the game/series as a whole. But there's a point where you go too far off the deep end. This is that point. This looks like random Japanese otaku pandering idol fanservicey garbage. Like, how is this even a cross-over? Like, okay, fuck Fire Emblem, this doesn't even look like a SMT game. The ONLY recognizable character was Tiki(?). And I didn't see any recognizable demons from the SMT games. I was expecting to maybe see one or two of the Lords from the games (like in the reveal trailer) but all we got were the same old contrived highschool protagonist schmucks. Fantastic.

I'll reserve final judgement until the game comes out, but I'm just not feeling this one... Unless Atlus pulls some Madoka Magica type shit, and this entire trailer was like a gigantic facade. I'd give them some applause for that. And probably my cash too. But... it's doubtful.