The Nohr Vs. Hoshida war begins

Ambulz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how Nohr (derived from Noir [black, latin origin], I assume) are the "bad guys". The Noir - exclusive trio does have an Aversa doppelganger, but a Lissa one as well (!). The Hoshida is, let's see, a Cordelia, Micaiah, and Ephraim doppelgangers. I think Hoshida is the optimal choice for Awakenings addicts, but those who enjoyed, say, Geneology of Holy War, or possibly Blazing Sword should enjoy the more erratic Nohr side. And, this is just mere speculation, but the dancer isn't an actual person, but possibly an avatar for a dragon spirit, possibly one symbiotically linked with Kamui's.

On a side note Noir the archer has a multiple personality disorder (not scizophrenia, that's something else), and I'm not sure why.

EDIT: I can spell "scizophrenia" right, but not "multiple".

Edited by StWalker

So Kamui is basically Altenna? Though hopefully not in love with his/her adopted sibling XD That seems like it would honestly be a hard choice I'll have to play both but reforming Nohr from the inside intrigues me more than the standard story so I might just do that route first, but if Hoshido is easier then I may have to do that route first so that its not too easy after doing the Nohr route. Also curious about that third path dlc that's been mentioned...

I'll be going with Nohr mostly due to the whole "bloodline vs loyalty" choice brought up in the trailer. While they are painting out the kingdom to be antagonistic, the three party members shown seem to be as friendly as any other important story unit beside the aversa-esque character. However with my decision in the long run it'll be about "hey these people took me in when I had no place left to go even though I'm a prince(ss) of the rivaling kingdom, and raised me" That seems more important to me than a simple blood relationship.... not to mention I would feel like the villain if I went against my cute twin-tailed imouto.

I'm frankly more curious about how they're going to explain why a child born into the Hoshida royal family ends up being raised by the enemy Nohr family. The evil king dude gives a possible hint when he says "生かしてやろう、吾子としてな" (I'll let you live... as my child), referring to Kamui past, but even so it's strange for Nohr to capture an enemy royal family member , and without selling him/her to slavery or anything, decides to raise him/her as one of their own. There was clearly no discrimination against MC from the interactions with other members of Nohr's royal family either.

Could this perhaps foreshadow into the underlying setting that MC's life is unique in some way, and both sides somehow knows of this, albeit by only a select few?

I'm frankly more curious about how they're going to explain why a child born into the Hoshida royal family ends up being raised by the enemy Nohr family. The evil king dude gives a possible hint when he says "生かしてやろう、吾子としてな" (I'll let you live... as my child), referring to Kamui past, but even so it's strange for Nohr to capture an enemy royal family member , and without selling him/her to slavery or anything, decides to raise him/her as one of their own. There was clearly no discrimination against MC from the interactions with other members of Nohr's royal family either.

Could this perhaps foreshadow into the underlying setting that MC's life is unique in some way, and both sides somehow knows of this, albeit by only a select few?

To me, it looks like the classic practice of hostage taking. This practice was pretty normal in ancient and feudal times. Heck, the British used it in their early colonial vassalage of India.

Nohr and Hoshida probably negotiated some sort of armistice and one of the conditions included taking a child from the Hoshida Royal house as a hostage as a sign of good faith and assurance of compliance to the obligations of the peace treaty. Said child would be raised and well-educated by the captor party, often with the hopes that their instilling of culture, values, and personal friendships produces a favorable diplomatic bridge for future negotiations. Pretty standard hostage stuff.

For some real life hostage examples, look up folks like Flavius Aetius, the late Roman general who defeated Attila, and Tokugawa Ieyasu, who founded the Tokugawa Shogunate.

To me, it looks like the classic practice of hostage taking. This practice was pretty normal in ancient and feudal times. Heck, the British used it in their early colonial vassalage of India.

Nohr and Hoshida probably negotiated some sort of armistice and one of the conditions included taking a child from the Hoshida Royal house as a hostage as a sign of good faith and assurance of compliance to the obligations of the peace treaty. Said child would be raised and well-educated by the captor party, often with the hopes that their instilling of culture, values, and personal friendships produces a favorable diplomatic bridge for future negotiations. Pretty standard hostage stuff.

For some real life hostage examples, look up folks like Flavius Aetius, the late Roman general who defeated Attila, and Tokugawa Ieyasu, who founded the Tokugawa Shogunate.

I see. I knew there were historical examples of capture without peril or injury to the hostage (take medieval chivalry for captured enemy knights for example), but I didn't know it was as direct or widespread, though I would argue the case of Tokugawa Ieyasu doesn't fall under the same circumstances as he was taken indirectly as a bargaining chip for the explicit purpose of intimidating his father out of an alliance. Aetius I don't know much about, but it seems like he was given willingly as a political hostage (with safety and upbringing, which is different from a hostage of war). In this case, I think it was more of a hostage taken during war and conquest, though it is merely speculation at this point based on the scene right before it. Judging from the emphasis Galon put on the first part (the "I'll let you live") it seems that he was suggesting that it is commonplace for him to not let MC live, but he decided to on a whim to let him/her live (the "yarou" part), or else he wouldn't bother reiterating the obvious to someone who was already guaranteed safety as a cultural diplomat.

Regardless, it's still strange that the other Nohr royalties treated him nothing short of a blood brother. That's some major departure from how I envisioned he/she entered the Nohr Kingdom. And given the vehemence professed from both sides when it came time for him to choose a side (and afterwards from the side of the betrayed), it seems like there's more to MC than just a simple war/political hostage.

Edited by HowTragic

I'm choosing Nohr to have that badass Dark Knight caster (Marx's brother?). He looks like he would have the "Shadowgift" skill since he is holding a purple-colored tome, which looks like dark magic. I've always wanted a Dark Knight pre-promote in Awakening.

Edited by Leif

I'm going to be one of those awful people that pick based on which I think will have characters I like more.

So if after playing a bit I'm like "wow dang this character here is my best bro/looks so super cool, I can't be against them" I'll pick their side.

The first time at least. Obviously the second time I play it will be the other side.

Man I am looking forward to the replay value in this.

I'm going to be one of those awful people that pick based on which I think will have characters I like more.

So if after playing a bit I'm like "wow dang this character here is my best bro/looks so super cool, I can't be against them" I'll pick their side.

The first time at least. Obviously the second time I play it will be the other side.

Man I am looking forward to the replay value in this.

Honestly that's the best thing to do, as if this was a real situation then perhaps Kamui would side with the ones who he considered to be more his friends.

Who said anything about reforming Noir from the inside? I'm going to marry a Noir princess, send the prince into a hopeless battle, assassinate the king, and claim the throne. Then, I'll announce my claim to the Hoshida throne, and rule over the glorious Noir-Hoshida Empire. Why yes I do play CKII. Oh, and classy, IS, making Noir tha bad guys even though Japan was worse than Rome ever was.

There no side to pick, they are American and fighting for US isn't a choice but duty.

I suppose. I was thinking of duty to the ones who raised you. But nevermind, it was late at night for me.

Who said anything about reforming Noir from the inside? I'm going to marry a Noir princess, send the prince into a hopeless battle, assassinate the king, and claim the throne. Then, I'll announce my claim to the Hoshida throne, and rule over the glorious Noir-Hoshida Empire. Why yes I do play CKII. Oh, and classy, IS, making Noir tha bad guys even though Japan was worse than Rome ever was.

A Japanese company making the Japanese themed side the bad guy? Never. It's much better to make the Westerners the bad guys haha.

Yeah, fair enough. I can't think of any country in existence that's truly peace loving throughout its history, except maybe Switzerland, and like hell any FE game would allow you to play as them; all you'd do is sit around and take good from Laguz or something.

Perhaps they just wanted to emphasize the two factions having a distinct feel but was it really necessary to classify Hoshido as "peace loving"? When was Japan EVER peace loving before the post-war era? If they want to do even a little bit of historical justice, they could at least make Hoshido isolationist and xenophobic.

Edited by NekoKnight

I'm DEFINITELY going with Nohr because Marx is sexy, and the male caster looks like Marx and thus is also hot.

But yeah, I love moral ambiguity--and reforming a corrupted empire from the inside seems more interesting to me than fighting one.

I am just going to sit in a corner and agonize over the choice for like 12094832 hours because I'm going digital

And apparently your choice locks you into the route on chapter 6 fml.

But you know, I WANT the Nohr royal family to care about and love the MU. I want an honest to god family, with years of memories and bonds that consider the MU their brother/sister BECAUSE THAT WILL RIP MY HEART OUT ALL THE MORE WHEN I PLAY HOSHIDO because it's more interesting that way. Nohr is obviously the "evil" side right now, both in tone and character (the king(?) couldn't be exuding more cliche evil tyrant vibes if he tried) and I want to see something a bit more complex. The idea of having to revolutionize the country from within sounds pretty fun. I get Radiant Dawn vibes (or even some of the older games) and I loved the political/social intrigue and mess of alliances and betrayal of the old Fire Emblem games a lot, so here's hoping.

But I'm going Hoshido first. Gotta get that traditional FE standard route out of the way first man. I'll be more surprised if they manage to put some complexity into the Hoshido side because right now they also seem like the standard, light, peace-loving, look at us we do no wrong type designated "good" side which is...well standard.

BUT I AM HYPE

BECAUSE FORCING ME TO CHOOSE BETWEEN ADORABLE LITTLE SISTERS IS CRUEL

AND FORCING ME TO CHOOSE BETWEEN TWO FAMILIES THAT BOTH LOVE THE MU IS CRUEL

I LOVE YOU NINTENDO.

It is more easily done on EUIV, actually. I'm still dreaming with a CKII mod of Fire Emblem 4.

I get Code Geass vibes from the Nohr path so hard. Their King seems obviously evil, even more so than Validar. MU will probably reform the country and become the leader or something.

Both sides seem interesting. Like, I don't care for the whole "bad" or "good" guys at all, but...

-long-spiky-haired guy from Hoshido has to be my best pal ever, he's just absolutely COOL AND BADASS

-purple-haired young woman from Nohr is absolutely attractive, 100% waifu material

Pals or boobs. What a terrible fate, choosing between them. ;_;

(On a more serious note, I'm choosing Hoshido, since they said that it will be easier than Nohr, so I will download the Nohr part after, for a greater challenge.)