The Nohr Vs. Hoshida war begins

Ambulz

Well, the thing is, Nohr is never said to be evil, just "Glory seeking". This means (or at least I hope it means) that they'll go beyond "we're invadin yer Nihon becuz we evul nstuf" and more into the idea of fighting for chivalry and "muh honor". I mean, Marx practically has "I'm fightan fur muh honor" written all over him anyway.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUT I AM HYPE

BECAUSE FORCING ME TO CHOOSE BETWEEN ADORABLE LITTLE SISTERS IS CRUEL

AND FORCING ME TO CHOOSE BETWEEN TWO FAMILIES THAT BOTH LOVE THE MU IS CRUEL

I LOVE YOU NINTENDO.

Don't antagonize them or they'll only get crueler. Like making one of your siblings a boss that refuses to land a killing blow on your unit so you can win the chapter by just having your unit slowly grind away at their health while they refuse to act.

Yeah, fair enough. I can't think of any country in existence that's truly peace loving throughout its history, except maybe Switzerland, and like hell any FE game would allow you to play as them; all you'd do is sit around and take good from Laguz or something.

That..sounds kinda funny.

Oh boy...before the Swiss were Swiss...they were the fiercest warriors of Helvetii...

Don't antagonize them or they'll only get crueler. Like making one of your siblings a boss that refuses to land a killing blow on your unit so you can win the chapter by just having your unit slowly grind away at their health while they refuse to act.

Not the first time this has been done. In FE2, Rudolf was literally unable to damage Alm. Not that the AI seemed to figure that out....

Hoshida first, to get the ezmode out of the way, and then Nohr cause it sounds more interesting plot wise.

And how2waifu/husbando blood relatives anyway? Even if Kamui doesn't share their mother, that's still a no drillfly zone. :rolleyes:

Hoshida first, to get the ezmode out of the way, and then Nohr cause it sounds more interesting plot wise.

And how2waifu/husbando blood relatives anyway? Even if Kamui doesn't share their mother, that's still a no drillfly zone. :rolleyes:

I'm holding out for the "jk you're actually not related to any of them because magical dragon beast" cause that is the path all LN and harems and shitty eroge games taking the lazy path out go (or something it's late over here ok)

I'm kinda hoping IS just goes for the familial loyalty and bonds perspective on both sides. Romance is cool and all but I haven't had a good family drama in FE in a while. That stuff can get nasty and intense. It's great.

It is more easily done on EUIV, actually. I'm still dreaming with a CKII mod of Fire Emblem 4.

I get Code Geass vibes from the Nohr path so hard. Their King seems obviously evil, even more so than Validar. MU will probably reform the country and become the leader or something.

What I'd want to do id a little like Code Geass, but with MU filling the role of Schniezel

before he went insane and destroyed Pendragon.

I don't want to at any point be against Nohr, just against the King.

That..sounds kinda funny.

Oh boy...before the Swiss were Swiss...they were the fiercest warriors of Helvetii...

Actually, that made me remember that a more proper East v West conflict would be between a Holy Roman Empire based nation and an Islamic Caliphate based nation. Though ignorant morons would probably scream about ISIS propaganda, so whatever.

I like japanese x europeans better than HRE x caliphate for a fantasy setting.

The Code Geass part I referred to was Suzaku's intent to 'reform Britannia from inside', much like the premise of the Nohr part is.

I like japanese x europeans better than HRE x caliphate for a fantasy setting.

The Code Geass part I referred to was Suzaku's intent to 'reform Britannia from inside', much like the premise of the Nohr part is.

Nohr is pretty clearly based on Rome specifically, not just Europe. My main problem is that Japan and Rome never had contact. May I ask why its better for a fantasy setting?

Nohr is pretty clearly based on Rome specifically, not just Europe. My main problem is that Japan and Rome never had contact. May I ask why its better for a fantasy setting?

I'm also pretty sure that the Greeks never fought dragons. And that the Celts and Vikings never teamed up to fight dragon-possessed people. And Charlemagne never fought dragons either. And King Arthur never tried to help end racism against beast people and kill a god. And fight dragons.

Did I mention how none of the civilizations that FE worlds are based on ever actually fought dragons?

Edited by The Geek

On being forced to ''revolutionize an unruly kingdom from the inside'':

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/114533-fire-emblem-if-black-kingdom/71545498

So, what do you think this means? Will you be trying to use your position in Nohr to try and make it a better place, or will you be using your ties to Hoshido to bring down that country for trying to oppose Nohr?

Either one seems likely to me, but I haven't heard many people bring up the second option yet.

Well, I mean, think about it. If Nohr is, say, some kind of large empire, and Hoshido is a nation that bristles under Nohrian occupation, it'd certainly fit the bill of an "unruly kingdom" from Nohr's perspective. Apparently the story is about the same up until chapter 6, when you'll have to decide on your route in the digital copy; that means that even if you're on Nohr's side, you'd probably have to spend at least some time in Hoshido to get acquainted with what that route would have to offer. Perhaps the route decision comes in the form of deciding whether to play your role as Nohr's mole, or siding with Hoshido for real.

I like this interpretation. Perhaps the story will begin with Nohr conquering the Hoshido, then later on suppressing all rebellious elements to "revolutionize an unruly kingdom from the inside. "Revolutionize" may be in reference to how backwards the Hoshido are. Simply conquering them does not mean that their backwards culture is still not an "unruly" element.

Edited by Saladus

Did feudal Japan have contact with feudal Europe at all?

I don't believe so. It didn't have any contact until the Age of Exploration. Also Rome wasn't feudal Europe, although the Byzantines were technically the Romans.

They certainly thought they were.

They pretty much were. They were the Eastern Roman Empire, and certainly had more claim to Rome than some old man claiming to be the representative of God. All glory to the Basilieus!

I don't believe so. It didn't have any contact until the Age of Exploration. Also Rome wasn't feudal Europe, although the Byzantines were technically the Romans.

My point is, making the statement "The Roman empire never had contact with Japan" is pointless because no one in Europe in the time of swords and spears had contact with the far east. And yet that's the fantasy premise IS wants to roll with. Personally I find Rome vs Japan more interesting precisely because it never happened in real life.

No, it wasn't until Portuguese traders and missionaries stumbled upon Japanese borders during the Sengoku Jidai that Japanese culture met the west. Then they closed their borders off for over 200 years minus a small Dutch trading post until the Black Ships (Commodore Perry) forced their way onto the Japanese soil and forced them to trade. After that though Japan became one of the more "social" eastern countries.

China on the other hand traded with the Roman Empire during the Pax Romana. Mostly China traded Silk for Roman Glassware and each was respectively fascinated by the other, both for their Empires' power, size, and culture such as writing. But that trade broke down during the Dark Ages.

Technically speaking a Roman Empire survived into the Medieval Period, but it didn't have the same kind of power that you'd consider. Mainly political influence and later religious influence in the form of the church. The government "Roman Empire" died shortly after Theodosius split the empire.

But enough history. I have no problem with the whole East vs. West philosophy though I would have prefferred more kingdoms than just the Nohr and the Hoshido to outline the different sub nations within those large general groups.

Though I don't consider the Nohr to be the "Roman Empire." They look much more Medieval than Classical especially their troops. The Hoshido however definitely have a Japanese bias, what with the soldiers wearing flags and the Lobster back samurai looking armor

No, it wasn't until Portuguese traders and missionaries stumbled upon Japanese borders during the Sengoku Jidai that Japanese culture met the west. Then they closed their borders off for over 200 years minus a small Dutch trading post until the Black Ships (Commodore Perry) forced their way onto the Japanese soil and forced them to trade. After that though Japan became one of the more "social" eastern countries.

China on the other hand traded with the Roman Empire during the Pax Romana. Mostly China traded Silk for Roman Glassware and each was respectively fascinated by the other, both for their Empires' power, size, and culture such as writing. But that trade broke down during the Dark Ages.

Technically speaking a Roman Empire survived into the Medieval Period, but it didn't have the same kind of power that you'd consider. Mainly political influence and later religious influence in the form of the church. The government "Roman Empire" died shortly after Theodosius split the empire.

But enough history. I have no problem with the whole East vs. West philosophy though I would have prefferred more kingdoms than just the Nohr and the Hoshido to outline the different sub nations within those large general groups.

Though I don't consider the Nohr to be the "Roman Empire." They look much more Medieval than Classical especially their troops. The Hoshido however definitely have a Japanese bias, what with the soldiers wearing flags and the Lobster back samurai looking armor

Nohr seems to have more going with France, Britan, and Portugal than it does with Rome. Heck, the grunts shown during Ryouma and Marx's face off are clearly based off Portuguese soldiers. Overall it's more of a mish-mash of various European countries than one specific one.

Edited by Aiddon

Nohr seems to have more going with France, Britan, and Portugal than it does with Rome. Heck, the grunts shown during Ryouma and Marx's face off are clearly based off Portuguese soldiers. Overall it's more of a mish-mash of various European countries than one specific one.

I dunno if there is any other Français in this forum, but as one, I can tell you this, France, looks nothing like Norh. :P

Jocking aside, maybe it's not even a Rome/Japan conflict, just West/East conflict. Where was is stated is was Rome/Japan by the way ?

It's more like fictional country with a medieval-european-inspired aesthetic (which in Nohr doesn't even look roman like have you actually seen roman armor they do not look like the ones in Nohr) and fictional country with a japanese-inspired aesthetic anyway

Not really much point to draw parallels to real life countries when it's only really aesthetic and names in similarities anyway

Rome and Japan are both very iconic. I mean, they could also have Western European standard FE fantasy vs. Japan. But if they picked a Chinese theme it wouldn't appeal that much to the players.

A fantasy setting is...well...a fantasy setting. While it would be nice to get something more historically plausible that has no grounds when it comes to creating a fantasy setting.

I don't know if Nohr reminds me of Rome in any way....I mean there's no legionaries. The soldiers wear Morion conquistador helmets. The characters from there look more like Western high fantasy nobility....to me anyways.

Edited by IGdood

You guys are going to the assumption that Nohr = Rome because they conquer stuff. What about the thousands of countries who conquered stuff also? How is Nohr different from England, France, Macedonia etc.?