FE: if sold as two (three) separate versions in Japan

HeartTranquil

Bit of admin abuse. Text courtesy of shadowofchaos.

ファイアーエムブレムif 白夜王国
(Fire Emblem if: Byakuya Oukoku = lit. Fire Emblem if: Kingdom of the White Night)
Which the White Night Kingdom is localized as Hoshido.
and
ファイアーエムブレムif 暗夜王国
(Fire Emblem if: Anya Oukoku = lit. Fire Emblem if: Kingdom of the Dark Night)
Which the Dark Night Kingdom is localized as Nohr.

tumblr_inline_nm6klrwZEu1rb9mmp_500.png
The normal, separate physical versions are 4,700 yen each: This means will only be able to play the path of the physical copy you purchased. Each has separate box art. The good news is that you will be able to purchase the other route as DLC for a discount of 2000 yen. So its like Pokemon Black and White (and considering their Japanese names it really is.)
Digital version is 4,700 yen as well: Pay and download the game. You will play up to Chapter 6 and then you will decide which side you want to go with. Once you make your choice, YOU CANNOT play the other route that is until you fork over the 2000 yen to unlock it.
There will also be a third path available as DLC at a later date.

Amusingly enough, the site emphasises that each of the two versions (Hoshido and Nohr) contains a similar amount of content as the previous game, Awakening. So you won’t be paying for half a game at all, if you buy just one of the versions.

The Fire Emblem if: Special Edition will be available upon release and includes both White Kingdom [Hoshido] and Black Kingdom [Nohr] routes, and prepays for the upcoming third DLC route for 9250 yen.

tumblr_inline_nm6l6i6uQA1rb9mmp_500.png
The special edition also includes a limited edition artbook and includes a Fire Emblem Cipher TCG game card.

Correction with the digital version is that you buy it first, and then you get locked after you choose.
You can then buy the other route (which is essentially a whole different experience/game) for half price.

That's not as terrible as Pokemon since they mirror each other almost and you have to buy an ENTIRE game at full price again.

Edited by VincentASM

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a link to this? They didn't mention this at all in the NA direct. Of course this could be Japan thing too but I gotta assume they'd do the same thing here. Interesting that they're choosing the Pokemon approach.

It seems to be mentioned in the Japanese direct but not the North American direct, judging from the trailers that have been posted online.

Is it possible that its being split into two/three in Japan but being sold as one in America?

That would be a bit strange (why the different treatment) if that was the case, but its admittedly possible.

Maybe it could also tie in to the fact that we're getting it a lot later in 2016. Aren't they getting it in Japan in a few months?

Edited by almi23

So much for route-splits, we've got ourselves a game-split!

This is the legitimate best post.

Imagine trying to LTC FE14.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

The wording in the non-Japanese Directs made it sound more like a single game with branching decisions. That being said, adding the two Yen prices you listed and converting them to British Sterling has it at around £35--the normal price for a 3DS game in the UK. So, unless we get the bad treatment, us in the west shouldn't have to fork over a load of unnecessary money. That's assuming the game gets released as two titles, of course

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. Surprised at first, but now I'm not. I'm more curious about the fact one route is supposedly more difficult than the other

Maybe it could also tie in to the fact that we're getting it a lot later in 2016. Aren't they getting it in Japan in a few months?

Thats a possibility could explain why we are getting it later if they're trying to compress it all into one cartridge at least thats what I'm hoping for.

Like all the amiibo crap and DLC they keep releasing, this is once again Nintendo money grabbing as fast as possible, a trick as old as the original Pokemon games.

I would be even more pissed off about this, but the hype train acts as a soporific.

I would find it odd that they wouldn't announce an important thing like a split of the games if they were doing such a thing in North America during the direct while the Japanese direct announces such a split (where it is confirmed), so my initial guess is that it will be a unified game in North America.

I might be wrong, of course, and I have no idea why'd they would handle it so differently.

Like all the amiibo crap and DLC they keep releasing, this is once again Nintendo money grabbing as fast as possible, a trick as old as the original Pokemon games.

I would be even more pissed off about this, but the hype train acts as a soporific.

That's the vibe I'm getting.

Now the game just feels like it'd be more confusing than the series traditionally will be. I hope there's an actual difference in content, and not like this is going Pokemon Red/Blue syndrome.

Interestingly in the European direct although it wasn't explicitly stated and it's still down as Fire Emblem: Working Title. This image might suggest if we get two versions we'll have Fire Emblem: Hoshido and Fire Emblem : Nohr

http://imgur.com/54MvW1U

Though if they aren't just one version in the west considering it releases in 2015 I imagine they won't officially state there are two versions until they figure out how they'll offer the two versions or any promotions. Three different Fire Emblem campaigns making up Fire Emblem 14 is something I'm looking forward too though.

Edited by arvilino

It seems to mention specifically japan in the statement you provided so it might be different in other territories.Buying limited edition definitely if it's the same for North America. Which path are you guys taking? Hoshido or Nohr. Going for Nohr

Edited by Junk

Hahahaha, A-April fools, right?

Right? ;_;

Basically my reaction.

also jesus christ,

59 user(s) are reading this topic

23 members, 33 guests, 3 anonymous users

I dont understand why they advertise a game with choices

Because having 2 versions of the game with each based on Hoshido path and Nohr path doesn't seem like any choice to me

They're saying we're giving you the choice of choosing which ending/route you want by having 2 separate versions of the game.

If you want Hoshido path, buy the Hoshido game, if you want the Nohr path, buy the Nohr game.

If you want a happy ending with both sides making peace to face the true evil, buy the 3rd and final unannounced game.

I have a really bad feeling about this:

FE Awakening had "3" parts to it. I feel like each of the 3 parts to FE14 will be "8-15" chapters long, sort of like a more extreme sacred stones thing, but sold separately with discounts/whatever else they said.

I'll gladly buy each version if each game is a solid full game, but if this is some kind of forced DLC for the entire story, ehh...

I've never been one to buy both Pokemon games, but if I have to I will here.

However this is incredibly foolish of Nintendo if this is the case, because as mentioned before, you cannot have the main selling point of a game as the choices, and then go lolnope and make you decide before you even get attached to the characters.

However some consolation that this may not be the case is the CGI of Kamui eing flanked by people of both factions pleading with them to join their side, indicating that hopefully the choice is still ingame.

What a farce. Amiibos, mobile game licensing, expanded emphasis on DLC, and now wholly unnecessary "game versions"... looks like Nintendo's perfidious money-grubbing mentality has spilled over and sullied Fire Emblem, too.

Shame.