FE: if sold as two (three) separate versions in Japan

HeartTranquil

I do think it's weird from a gameplay and story perspective.

While dedicated fans like us already know what's in each campaign, other people may not know when they go to buy the game. That and none of us know what any of the characters are really like. So I could be buying Hoshido, then I realise I like the Nohr characters more, but by then it's already too late.

At least the digital version and special edition (the latter of which we're all buying, right?) lets you choose during the game split. It's just too bad that doesn't work with the packaged version because of the packaging (in Japan at least).

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think it's weird from a gameplay and story perspective.

While dedicated fans like us already know what's in each campaign, other people may not know when they go to buy the game. That and none of us know what any of the characters are really like. So I could be buying Hoshido, then I realise I like the Nohr characters more, but by then it's already too late.

At least the digital version and special edition (the latter of which we're all buying, right?) lets you choose during the game split. It's just too bad that doesn't work with the packaged version because of the packaging (in Japan at least).

If you treat the two campaigns on an individual game basis that's the same for any game though. For example read the back of the Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn box and there's nothing that explicitly states it's the sequel to Path of Radiance or how the campaign is even set up.

Someone might end up liking the Greil Mercenaries more than the Dawn Brigade and dislike the shifting back and forth between teams(neither of which are mentioned on the back of the box) and regret not getting Path of Radiance instead.

Edited by arvilino

^ Sarsasm- But the people in japan buying it blind were promised one game not 2 half ones and they where lied to in the north America direct saying they could make choices but not revealing it was two games -end sarcasm.

But seriously good logic there. But i don't think a lot of people will go for viewing it as separate games but count me as one who does.

Go Fire Emblem if counting as two full separate games that you can get both for 140% of the price of a single game Club!... We might need a better name.

Edited by goodperson707

I'm quite interested in finding out the file size of each FE14 cart. I remember seeing somewhere that 3ds carts can only have 8gb of data (please do correct me if I'm wrong), and the DLC would be downloaded to the SD card rather than the cart itself. So while I am suspecting it being a cash grab of sorts, it may also be file size limitations. (I do remember reading that each campaign will have about as much content as Awakening)

Awakening is a ~1gb game. Each half could be twice the size and it would still fit on the standard 4gb cart.

It's not a file size limit. Though I fully expect to see that BS pulled out and lined up as a defense by Nintendo/FE fans.

Unless the physical versions are placed in unmarked boxes or randomly assigned the customer has to make a similar choice anyway when buying it. Even if the game box simply caught somoenes eye in the shop and they just look at the back of the box for information about the gameplay/campaign contained in each one.

Also the trailer says "You can only choose one path", suggesting "you the player" not Kamui's decision. As gameplay is the most important factor the most most important question is what type of campaign the player wants to play.

This is so obviously not in the spirit of what the trailers indicate that it's a non argument.

^ Sarsasm- But the people in japan buying it blind were promised one game not 2 half ones and they where lied to in the north America direct saying they could make choices but not revealing it was two games -end sarcasm.

But seriously good logic there. But i don't think a lot of people will go for viewing it as separate games but count me as one who does.

Go Fire Emblem if counting as two full separate games that you can get both for 140% of the price of a single game Club!... We might need a better name.

At least you're up front about the blatant fanboying out for Nintendo's decision.

Edited by ckc22

There's a "Special Edition" in Japan that has both paths on the same cart? Well, there goes the "storage space" argument. If Nintendo is smart (i.e. wants to sell to more western players than just the few people defending the splitting in this topic), then that Special Edition will be the only version that you can get outside of Japan, and for the price of a regular 3DS game. The money lost for the lower price will be vastly made up for by being able to sell more than a few dozen copies.

Of course, while I trust Nintendo to make good games, I do not trust them to make good business decisions.

Hmmm, I don't think we'll be getting the Special Edition version. IF ( Kinda funny) they are releasing this game in one cartridge there is still the inevitable DLC third path. I have played games where it's either one side or the other and that's it, but knowing the neutral route doesn't automatically unlock at the end of each campaign really bothers me when they promise it's actually an option. We will most likely have it available once 2016 rolls in, but if we want that extra part of content, we're pretty much forced to buy it anyway since it won't be available from the start in Japan.

Or maybe the Special Edition will be like the Collector's edition and we'll have it available but only for the fans who pre-ordered the game with that exact copy in mind. The rest would have to buy it digitally.

If you treat the two campaigns on an individual game basis that's the same for any game though. For example read the back of the Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn box and there's nothing that explicitly states it's the sequel to Path of Radiance or how the campaign is even set up.

Someone might end up liking the Greil Mercenaries more than the Dawn Brigade and dislike the shifting back and forth between teams(neither of which are mentioned on the back of the box) and regret not getting Path of Radiance instead.

This is stupid because choice of path wasn't advertised for the Tellius games. The game was centered around shifting perspectives.

It's more akin to if there were two versions of RD. The Dawn Version and the Greil Version. Part 1 is the dawn version, part 3 is the Greil versions and part 4 is the true path that comes as dlc later down the line.

Path of Radiance and RD are not two versions of the same game.

Maybe if Dawn Brigade got 25 unique chapters and Greil Mercs got 25 unique chapters with both having completely 180 design (Greil Mercs being the vanilla FE while Dawn Brigade reincorporates Daein into society) while the 3rd path is getting 25 unique chapters siding with Goldoa.

But no, we didn't that. We got a singular title that was a little longer than some of the previous entries that had a focus on perspective, rather than a focus on choice. FE:IF forums are cluttered with the worst "similarities" of previous FEs.

Overall I'm actually ok with the third path being dlc,I mean its dlc and 2 paths are cool on their own.

Its the whole 2 versions thing that annoys me,especially since we know that cartridge space isn't an issue.

I'm not sure if anyone has said this before but aren't the stories usually split up between two games anyways with the exception of Akenea and Magvell

Elibe

Binding Blade

Blazing Sword

Jugdral

Geneology of the Holy War

Thracia 776

Tellius

Path of Radiance

Radiant Dawn

I'm not sure if anyone has said this before but aren't the stories usually split up between two games anyways with the exception of Akenea and Magvell

Sequels are a massively different ordeal.

I mean, I'm OBVIOUSLY choosing Nohr, because Marx forever, but I wonder if ALL characters are recruitable, no matter which side I choose? Be that the case, I'd choose Hoshido just for the world map. I mean, I get it that some people hate grinding in a game, but a world means unlimited levels post-game (i.e., Risen encounters or whatever we have this time around), so if Marx and book bro were recruitable in Hoshido, I'd go with Hoshido.

I just really hope the price for all of those paths are manageable in the NA version. Funds are tight.

And the third route? What could that be?

Edited by Respite&Nepenthe

I mean, I'm OBVIOUSLY choosing Nohr, because Marx forever, but I wonder if ALL characters are recruitable, no matter which side I choose? Be that the case, I'd choose Hoshido just for the world map. I mean, I get it that some people hate grinding in a game, but a world means unlimited levels post-game (i.e., Risen encounters or whatever we have this time around), so if Marx and book bro were recruitable in Hoshido, I'd go with Hoshido.

I just really hope the price for all of those paths are manageable in the NA version. Funds are tight.

And the third route? What could that be?

I highly doubt this will even come close to happening, unless they pull a Super Robot Wars like route split instead of a full one.

Third route I can honestly see being akin to SMT's neutral routes, you don't join either side and you crush both to preserve the world/countries in the best way possible by keeping the balance between the twos ideals.

Overall I'm actually ok with the third path being dlc,I mean its dlc and 2 paths are cool on their own.

Its the whole 2 versions thing that annoys me,especially since we know that cartridge space isn't an issue.

I think it's a mistake to base things on file size alone. The highest rated original game of the 8th generation, Super Mario 3D World could fit on a 3DS cartridge(but not run on the system) but that doesn't mean it had less effort than games with larger file sizes. File size isn't proportional on work done on the game.

Game polish, quality and effort can't be measured in bytes. Fire Emblem If could very well be less than a Gigabyte and still contain enough to be classed as two or three separate Fire Emblem games.

Edited by arvilino