FE: if sold as two (three) separate versions in Japan

HeartTranquil

I was kind of baffled when I first heard the news about having the game split, but now I'm waiting for more info before making a final opinion. I am hopeful though that each game will be a 'full' game. If we look at the pokemon games, even though there is always 2 (often 3) versions of the same game, they're all full games by themselves. If they do this right, this means we could be getting something akin to 3 Fire Emblem games in one year, with two games being at half price. Of course, there's also the dreadful possibility of the individual paths being pretty short and you'll have to spend 90$+ to get to experience the full game. (But I would like to think that it would be unlikely for Nintendo to release half-games for the price of a full one.)

And regarding the localization time. If the 2 paths are really 2 different fully fleshed out stories, this means the localization team could potentially have twice the amount of text Awakening had.

Also, regarding the choices, even though it could be possible that choosing your path will be what it amounts to, I haven't seen anything that says that there won't be other choices in the story (though it's true that there still nothing that says that there are other choices).

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't mean we have to like it.

It's also a bit different because at least the Oracle games were basically two different Zelda games with their own stories. This is one story being split in two and released separately, when FE has a history of doing multiple paths in a single package.

....Oh yeah, I actually completely forgot about that. Heck, initially there were supposed to be THREE Oracle games but the password system would have been a nightmare thus they reduced it to just two. I wouldn't be surprised if playing the scenarios gives you bonuses in the other, like new equipment, better starting stats, etc.

Here's why the split versions doesn't bother me whatsoever (and why I'm actually excited about it):

-It has been stated that each of the two separate campaigns contains about as much content as Awakening. This means that, whether the US receives both campaigns in one package or two individual versions of the game, we're still getting way more content. It's like IS is releasing two FE games simultaneously (and we get a huge discount for buying both, assuming that the US doesn't just get both versions in one package).

-Personally, I would want to play the easier campaign before the harder campaign, so I would be playing the Hoshido version before the Nohr version anyway. So for me, there isn't any dilemma of "which game to play first?"

-If you care a lot about having to choose between the Hoshido and the Nohr, then you can buy the digital version and decide which side to join during Chapter 6. Then you can buy the second game for less than half the price (again, assuming that we're getting the same treatment as Japan).

-The way I see it, we're getting almost twice as much content in the new FE game (not counting future DLC, which will add an entire third campaign), and more Fire Emblem is always a good thing (plus there seems to be major gameplay improvements).

Edited by Pessimistic Penguin

While I'm wary about the whole multiple versions thing, if each game has enough unique content to warrant being it's own game, then we're essentially getting two different Fire Emblem games, just in the same world, which is completely fine by me.

From what has been said, this is seeming to be the case specifically coming from this:

Fire Emblem if Hoshido

A story focusing on protecting your Hoshidan birthland and royal relatives from the Nohrian invasion. Outside the main story, you can earn experience and funds and freely develop your characters; perfect for those who enjoy freedom.

Fire Emblem if Nohr

In this story, you work with the Nohrian royal family to battle the internal conflicts within Nohr itself. Compared to Hoshido, the difficulty is higher, with limited chances to earn experience and funds.

Granted, if they are lying and it's just the same battles but with swapped positions, I'm going to be quite irritated.

I don't think we're going to have to worry about getting 2 different versions.

Remember kids that Reggie thinks we're too stupid to tell the difference between a New 3DS and a New 3DS xl

Count me in for someone for hopes this sales tactic doesn't apply to the international versions.

Expansion pack DLC is one thing, but the branching storyline this game has is the original marketing gimmick and the primary selling point - the main idea that makes this FE drastically different from the others. It's frustrating to think that this could be capitalized on in such a manner, especially considering I was looking forward to something like Der Langrisser, which was able to do faction-based branching stories without making me pay for on-cart DLC to unlock the rest of the story options.

I'm also having the terrible idea in my head of imagining if real-life had all your individual "choices" behind a separate paywall. It's one thing to pay $1 extra for pizza toppings, but imagine having to pay another $1 just for the ability to choose what pizza toppings you want.

I think stuff like this is more common in Japan. They've been more conditioned to pay for multiple versions of things and I guess they don't complain too much because it keeps happening.

And yeah, this all being said, there is precedent that the international versions are cut a deal compared to the Japanese ones - Awakening DLC was significantly cheaper in the US than in Japan, if I recall. So I'm not ready to personally boycott or anything yet. Just expressing worries.

If I'm correct, the Japanese releases of Fire Emblem if: White Night Kingdom/Dark Night Kingdom...

* Will market the game as Fire Emblem if: Kingdom of Hoshido and Fire Emblem if: Kingdom of Nohr respectively.

* Will not initially have a choice to choose your allegiance at any point if you purchase a cartridge version of either of the two games.

* Will initially have an in-game choice to choose your allegiance for the rest of the game if you purchase the downloadable version (which will most likely be named Fire Emblem if: White Night Kingdom/Dark Night Kingdom).

* Will release downloadable content post-launch which will either give you the in-game choice to choose an alternate allegiance, a pre-game choice to choose an alternate overarching plot with a fixed alternate allegiance from the start, or both.

* Will release downloadable content post-launch which will either give you the in-game choice to reject both allegiances, a pre-game choice to choose an alternate overarching plot with a fixed neutral allegiance from the start, or both.

* Will release a special variant combining the choice to choose from the three allegiances (Hoshido, Nohr, neither).

And if I'm correct, the non-Japanese releases of their working title(s) of the latest game(s) in the Fire Emblem series have yet to reveal information concerning how they will market the new game(s). Am I correct?

On another note, I will have all possible allegiances to choose from one way or another because I am super-hyped into purchasing this game.

On another note, I am calling it right now; the North American release(s) will be called Fire Emblem: Black and/or White (Version).

Edited by BlueSunStudios

If they're different enough I don't have a problem with this. I liked both oracle of seasons and time for LoZ (And wish the planned third one had happened).

If they're not that different at all then it's kind of ridiculous.

I don't think the Zelda Oracles comparison is the best considering that those games are least as different between each other as numbered Mega Man sequels are (Which is part of why that was so ambitious and the third game ended up being canned).

While I don't exactly know how much is the same or different in each FEif version, the general impression is that there has to be at least a certain length of the game at the start that's the "same' before the branch, and it's highly possible considering the plot of the game that maps, allies/enemies, and music are reused between branches a bunch more. I'd be surprised if there were branch-exclusive classes, items/weapons, or gameplay gimmicks as well.

Probably the Team Aqua/Team Magma plot branch Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire had would be considered a better comparison, except that particular example isn't really strong.

Speeking of the third oracle game and april fools jokes. Someone one created a near-complete set of maps for "legend of zelda: oricle of the hours" and posted them to vgmaps as an april fools joke a few years back. Feast in the disturbingly extensive and customized glory of the totaly-subtaly-named region of "falsia": http://www.vgmaps.com/NewsArchives/MapsOfTheMonth-2008.htm#04

With regard to overlap, the japanese website places the split at chapter 6.

Edited by sirmola

I hope this won't be the case in other countries(and chances for that don't seem so bad considering that this was only mentioned in the japanese direct).

I am ok with the dlc though,I mean its dlc and if the 2 routes areso different from each other that they are confident enough to make 2 games out of them,then I think the original game will be good enough on its own.

Ennemy pair up. Hell yeah.

Ah, so I'm not the only who is outraged by this. Good, I was scared for a moment.

So, there's a chance that we, (EU and US), will have just one version ? This is a VERY good news !

Because seriously, it's just... I can't even explain it, so much it's... bah !

Edit:

Siliconera confirmed that standard retail versions of the game will only contain 1 path. If you buy Black, you are locked into the Black path. If you buy White you are locked into the White path.

A limited edition of the retail game will contain a cartridge that contains both Black and White in 1 single cartridge along with the third path included.

Digital versions of the game will be similar to the standard retail versions - the path you pick to buy, will be the path you are locked into.

Basically, if you want all paths, you either buy standard retail/digital and buy the other paths as DLC.

Or

You buy the limited edition.

...So being OCD as I am, I can buy both cartridges, buy the Special DLC, (which will be saved to the SD Card, so I can go to and fro) and I've got everything?

Well , my money .........................................

2 versions game plus DLC ........ although they doesn't annouce the price yet , it will likely 100$ for all the game and DLC .

Nintendo knows how to take my money .. @@

I'd happily buy Hoshido and Nohr as separate games if they're significantly different games (i.e. not just opposite sides of the same field for every chapter). If they're same game with minute differences then I'd be hard pressed to justify purchasing both at retail price thusly I'd wait for one of those elusive price drops in Nintendo games.

My biggest concern is the digital version, as I prefer having digital copies of my games. If the purchase then choose a side and you're locked into that is true then I'd be miffed, because I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) you can only purchase a digital game once on a 3ds.

Ultimately I'd love a game, hopefully in digital format, with both versions loaded and playable. Hell for that I'd probably pay console retail price.

I really hope that the west doesn't get it in different versions, I really want to play both paths.

If it does, I'm going for limited edition, but I really hope that the limited edition is not a rare thing.

I'm tired of going after "rare" things from nintendo, it's too stressful man.

Yo, someone put this on the first post or something:

ファイアーエムブレムif 白夜王国

(Fire Emblem if: Byakuya Oukoku = lit. Fire Emblem if: Kingdom of the White Night)

Which the White Night Kingdom is localized as Hoshido.

and

ファイアーエムブレムif 暗夜王国

(Fire Emblem if: Anya Oukoku = lit. Fire Emblem if: Kingdom of the Dark Night)

Which the Dark Night Kingdom is localized as Nohr.

tumblr_inline_nm6klrwZEu1rb9mmp_500.png

The normal, separate physical versions are 4,700 yen each: This means will only be able to play the path of the physical copy you purchased. Each has separate box art. The good news is that you will be able to purchase the other route as DLC for a discount of 2000 yen. So its like Pokemon Black and White (and considering their Japanese names it really is.)

Digital version is 4,700 yen as well: Pay and download the game. You will play up to Chapter 6 and then you will decide which side you want to go with. Once you make your choice, YOU CANNOT play the other route that is until you fork over the 2000 yen to unlock it.

There will also be a third path available as DLC at a later date.

The Fire Emblem if: Special Edition will be available upon release and includes both White Kingdom [Hoshido] and Black Kingdom [Nohr] routes, and prepays for the upcoming third DLC route for 9250 yen.

tumblr_inline_nm6l6i6uQA1rb9mmp_500.png

The special edition also includes a limited edition artbook and includes a Fire Emblem Cipher TCG game card.

Correction with the digital version is that you buy it first, and then you get locked after you choose.

You can then buy the other route (which is essentially a whole different experience/game) for half price.

That's not as terrible as Pokemon since they mirror each other almost and you have to buy an ENTIRE game at full price again.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Welp. If they take the same approach for the Western release looks like I'm getting the special edition if they make that option available. Which is about 77.5 USD and considering all you get with it I don't think thats too terrible I mean hell console games cost $60 for one game and sometimes don't even get you the limited edition stuff this offers.

Then again I'm willing to bet preorders for this will go quick as soon as they announce it (assuming they do in the west).

Edited by LordTaco42

Because Intelligent Systems is following Atlus' model of exploiting their newfound otaku fanbase. I mean, it worked greatly for them on Awakening (fanservice DLC for everyone!), so it's hardly surprising.

Anyway, I have no plans to buy this game, unless the Nohr campaign reveals itself to be an actual strategy SRPG. Which I really doubt. Wake me up when they do something akin to the older games (Radiant Dawn and earlier), if ever.

Yo, someone put this on the first post or something:

ファイアーエムブレムif 白夜王国

(Fire Emblem if: Byakuya Oukoku = lit. Fire Emblem if: Kingdom of the White Night)

Which the White Night Kingdom is localized as Hoshido.

and

ファイアーエムブレムif 暗夜王国

(Fire Emblem if: Anya Oukoku = lit. Fire Emblem if: Kingdom of the Dark Night)

Which the Dark Night Kingdom is localized as Nohr.

tumblr_inline_nm6klrwZEu1rb9mmp_500.png

The normal, separate physical versions are 4,700 yen each: This means will only be able to play the path of the physical copy you purchased. Each has separate box art. The good news is that you will be able to purchase the other route as DLC for a discount of 2000 yen. So its like Pokemon Black and White (and considering their Japanese names it really is.)

Digital version is 4,700 yen as well: Pay and download the game. You will play up to Chapter 6 and then you will decide which side you want to go with. Once you make your choice, YOU CANNOT play the other route that is until you fork over the 2000 yen to unlock it.

There will also be a third path available as DLC at a later date.

The Fire Emblem if: Special Edition will be available upon release and includes both White Kingdom [Hoshido] and Black Kingdom [Nohr] routes, and prepays for the upcoming third DLC route for 9250 yen.

tumblr_inline_nm6l6i6uQA1rb9mmp_500.png

The special edition also includes a limited edition artbook and includes a Fire Emblem Cipher TCG game card.

Correction with the digital version is that you buy it first, and then you get locked after you choose.

You can then buy the other route (which is essentially a whole different experience/game) for half price.

That's not as terrible as Pokemon since they mirror each other almost and you have to buy an ENTIRE game at full price again.

~77 USD for three complete (allegedly) campaigns sounds fairly reasonable. Though depending on the differences (or lack there of) it may prove somewhat of a sham.