FE: if sold as two (three) separate versions in Japan

HeartTranquil

Looks like drafts will be version specific.

They prob made the game like this to fuck with our resident hackers. Give them extra work lol.

Haha, gives our hackers some more WORK. I'll have so much fun with this game already since I love all kinds of FE playthroughs, this just gives me more!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have serious doubts about both versions having the same amount of content as a full game. It doesn't make sense from a developers standpoint to release two full games at the same time and to offer one of them at a huge discount. I predict that there is going to be a lot of overlap between games (maybe Pokemon Ruby/Saphire levels), less missions and/or less polish for each mission. "3 full games for the price of 2" is suspicious video game generosity on a meta level.

I'm waiting for full coverage of the Japanese release before I commit to buying anything.

i mean $90 for 3 games in one does fit the price, all things considered. still, im curious as to why they would split this into so many games. also i wonder if there will be a 4th path where you unite the nations into one to fight some bigger threat or something.

Seeing people say that $90 is expensive is weird, because I did the conversion and my reaction was "Wow, £52 for a limited edition is really good." Especially considering that's only mildly more expensive than a console game.

Honestly, it's disappointing, but not earth-shatteringly so. I'll probably buy both alternate path DLCs anyway.

At least this isn't as bad as Awakening, where the DLC altogether cost as much if not more than the actual game.

If the third path is all the DLC the game gets I'll actually be okay with all this.

False. At least awakening DLC was created after the actual game.

It would suck if the only choice you make is whether you want to buy both versions, all 3 or just one. But The original trailer said "choices" if I recall correctly, so I'm optimistic that the 1st trailer wasn't misleading.

It's also possible it's too big to fit on one cartridge and the game wasn't split purely for $$$ reasons.

BS. I have no faith in Nintendo of 2015. This is a pure and simple cash grab from a niche audience.

My biggest objection to the split of the games is that player choice has consistently been one of the most talked-about aspects of the game. Splitting the game like this kinda feels like we were lied to with regard to choice.

That aside, there's also the apparent on-disc DLC of the digital version. Which may or may not be in the retail releases as well.

My biggest objection to the split of the games is that player choice has consistently been one of the most talked-about aspects of the game. Splitting the game like this kinda feels like we were lied to with regard to choice.

That aside, there's also the apparent on-disc DLC of the digital version. Which may or may not be in the retail releases as well.

You still have the choice, it's just more permament.

Additionally I doubt the digital version will actually contain both sides. I'd think the digital version would likely just be the first 6 chapters and then downloads the campaign route from the eShop and converts the game into the version you choose. Putting the whole game in the digital version and locking a part out would waste SD card space and would be one 3DS exploit away from allowing people accessing both campaigns without paying for one.

Edited by arvilino

A choice that is not an informed one is not a choice at all. You can't choose which side you want to side with without playing the first 6 chapter which will apparently set up both sides (and hopefully do it well). Splitting the game undermines the concept of choice completely.

You still have the choice, it's just more permament.

Additionally I doubt the digital version will actually contain both sides. I'd think the digital version would likely just be the first 6 chapters and then downloads the campaign route from the eShop and converts the game into the version you choose. Putting the whole game in the digital version and locking a part out would waste SD card space and would be one 3DS exploit away from allowing people accessing both campaigns without paying for one.

Not really. I mean, imagine if, for example, KOTOR had the light and dark side paths as two separate games? I imagine they would still be well regarded, but not likely to the same extent KOTOR is currently.

That's what I hope is the case. Though it would probably be quite awkward...

"Hey you've reached a pivotal moment in the story. Let's grind things to a halt while we wait for the rest of the game to download." Would be kinda jarring...

Edited by #RR. shinpichu

My biggest objection to the split of the games is that player choice has consistently been one of the most talked-about aspects of the game.

The game was only talked about (officially) once prior to this reveal, though. Besides, they never said this is the only choice we'll make.

A choice that is not an informed one is not a choice at all. You can't choose which side you want to side with without playing the first 6 chapter which will apparently set up both sides (and hopefully do it well). Splitting the game undermines the concept of choice completely.

What has been revealed is enough for a player to decide what kind of campaign they want to play or what side/ideals they want to follow(Topics on this site and other websites have already shown that people have made decisions already): Peaceful Hoshido protecting their country, world map and skirmishes, the main characters true family. Glory seeking Nohr, revolutionising the country from inside with a more complex plot, challenging campaign with no world map and limited resources, the country where the main character was raised and is loyal to.

These factors were emphasized in the Nintendo Direct and Japanese advertising and no doubt will be emphasized in advertising closer to the western release. The decision is clearly not uninformed like you're pretending it is.

Edited by arvilino

What has been revealed is enough for a player to decide what kind of campaign they want to play or what side/ideals they want to follow(Topics on this site and other websites have already shown that people have made decisions already): Peaceful Hoshido protecting their country, world map and skirmishes, the main characters true family. Glory seeking Nohr, revolutionising the country from inside with a more complex plot, challenging campaign with no world map and limited resources, the country where the main character was raised and is loyal to.

These factors were emphasized in the Nintendo Direct and Japanese advertising and no doubt will be emphasized in advertising closer to the western release. The decision is clearly not uninformed like you're pretending it is.

That would require closely following promotional material. Also, there is no substitute for actual game experience. 20 minutes of gameplay can reveal more than tons of promotional material that hypes the product, especially in today's age where promotional material often outright lies about the content of the game. The choise isn't informed and hence, isn't much of a choice at all. The game that highlights player choice as its selling point undermines the very concept of choice before you even buy the game.

As Ranger Jack Walker said, there is a big difference between making a choice by judging a game based off promotional materials and actually playing the game.If I buy the Hoshido version and then after playing the actual game find out the Nohr are actually more interesting and sympathetic, am I just a sucker who bought the wrong version? What if one version's play-style doesn't appeal to me and I want to try playing with the other team? Ninty is telling me "Too bad, so sad, you should have been a more informed customer. Buy our DLC."

The whole concept of "choice" is that I can undo my choices and play the game how I want to, unhindered by pay-walls. It's going to be incredibly lame for the player to reach chapter 6, have all the drama leading up to a huge moral choice but the choice already being decided based on the version you bought.

That would require closely following promotional material. Also, there is no substitute for actual game experience. 20 minutes of gameplay can reveal more than tons of promotional material that hypes the product, especially in today's age where promotional material often outright lies about the content of the game. The choise isn't informed and hence, isn't much of a choice at all. The game that highlights player choice as its selling point undermines the very concept of choice before you even buy the game.

If the reason you think the choice couldn't be informed is the scenario that they could be lying(in which case the customer would be entitled for a refund through the sales of goods act anyway) they've obviously provided enough information that if they're telling the truth the customer can make an informed decision(based on the information given).

Not to mention if you didn't believe what they said it you'd literally have to play past the point that you make the decision in order to be fully informed(technically the whole campaign). 20 minutes of gameplay isn't going to tell you what a campaign with a world map and the one without will be like.

Edited by arvilino

If the reason you think the choice couldn't be informed is the scenario that they could be lying(in which case the customer would be entitled for a refund through the sales of goods act anyway) they've obviously provided enough information that if they're telling the truth the customer can make an informed decision(based on the information given).

Not to mention if you didn't believe what they said it you'd literally have to play past the point that you make the decision in order to be fully informed(technically the whole campaign). 20 minutes of gameplay isn't going to tell you what a campaign with a world map and the one without will be like.

The hell are you talking about?

Presumably, the writing of the game would at least be good enough to set up both sides in the first 6 chapters. No amount of promotional material can replicate the experience of actually playing the game.

And no, you're not entitled to refund if the game's advertisement lies to you. People tried that with Mass Effect 3. It doesn't work that way.

The hell are you talking about?

Presumably, the writing of the game would at least be good enough to set up both sides in the first 6 chapters. No amount of promotional material can replicate the experience of actually playing the game.

And no, you're not entitled to refund if the game's advertisement lies to you. People tried that with Mass Effect 3. It doesn't work that way.

I'm saying you won't deal with the gameplay elements of each of the campaigns in the first 6 chapters. For example If you really thought the advertising could be an outright lie it would not be until chapter 7 or 8 after choosing the Hoshido that you'd be able to see that there's a world map in the Hoshido campaign.

Edited by arvilino

@arvilino: Your argument is poor. The promotional material tells me nothing about the values and goals of either faction. I cannot make an informed choice about which side I want to support without knowing their ideals and objectives.

Now, if it turns out that FE:if has no real depth to its choice system- which I'm beginning to suspect- and the narrative between Nohr and Hoshido really is as simple as Bad Guys versus Good Guys, then you'd be correct and a branching path within the game wouldn't be as necessary.

I honestly believe that whilst giving more purchasing options seems like a consumer friendly approach on paper, the actual way this comes off to many people strikes the wrong chord. I am perfectly willing to pay more for this game, as I've outlined earlier in this thread, because I do recognise that game development costs have risen over the years, and I also am inclined to believe that this game is getting a lot of budget thrown at it (it's pretty apparent by the trailer alone IMO). But it feels too crude to attempt to split the games up as such and sell them piecemeal, a very unelegant solution that compromises the game's overall value and vision. Is the game being acutely designed around the prospect of some players never experiencing one half of the game? Or are they essentially assuming that the player will cave to get a complete experience? Will each release feel complete by itself?

Whilst I'm happy that they're selling a bundled package as a limited edition, to me that indicates that they are intended to be together. The fact the data for both routes is on the download version also supports this, as does the emphasis on choosing your path. As a result, I think it will be detrimental to the experience to separate them. Whilst the game is not out yet, and I can't judge just how different the two games actually are going to be, or how much content each game will have unique from the other, I am concerned about compromise being made here for the sake of being able to sell a game at a regular price. I can't help but imagine paying to see a film but only seeing half of the total scenes in the film, all from one protagonist's perspective, when the entire thing is supposed to be viewed together. It feels like a sellout...even if the intent is not malicious.

Edited by Irysa

In gamefaqs, I seen a guy saying that it would be like two SMT games, one for the Law path, the other for the Chaos path, and Neutral path as a DLC.

Yikes, he's not wrong. :/

The comparison is like a slap in the face, because if we really end up having games like that...

One of my theories is that the relationship of Kamui being related to one faction and raised by another will be decided by the version. There are scenes where a conflict happens in an ally mirroring both sides where Kamui seems to be taken so they can be reworked for a rescue or kidnap.

Still against releasing two versions but I just have to know what anyone else thinks

Oh my god, why?

So, like, why is this a thing? This is stupid. You have to pay to get the entire other half of the game? (which will no doubt be on cartridge anyway)

They mentioned a DLC third path, I'm fine with a third path, but if you want to sell me a game that is focused on picking two options, I want to buy both options for the proper retail price and then choose. (and then try out the other option without shelling out $15-$20)

I never thought I might actually consider not buying a Fire Emblem game, I'm still leaning towards buy, but still.