Anyone else getting major Gaiden vibes here?

Lhyonnaes

It's been a while now since I last played Gaiden, but I agree. In any case, hopefully this game will be even half the game Gaiden was and it will be great.

I didn't get that feeling at all, considering the premise of choosing what side of join.

But the general setup of the kingdoms still feels quite similar. And I would be very surprised if the paths did not ultimately converge on a shared big bad.

I love how Gaiden set things up to be one way and the truth turns out to be the opposite.

Setup: "Zofia is peaceful and good. Rigel is warmongering and evil."
- Zofia is embroiled in civil war at the beginning of the story. We also learn in Part 3 that the king of Zofia was an asshole and basically legally raped his wife.
- King Rudolf may be an insane chessmaster/well-intentioned extremist, but he genuinely cares about the people of his kingdom. Also, anyone who's not in Judah's posse seems pretty chill.

Setup: "Mila is good. Duma is evil."
- Mila is, at the very least, irresponsible. It's implied that the Zofians are entirely dependent on Mila for their crops; Mila seems to have spiritually bound the herself to the land, too, so much so that when she is sealed away, the land begins rotting.
- Ex-Pontifex Hark is proof that the Church of Duma is not actually evil; it's just Judah and his cronies. Duma himself gracefully accepts his defeat and admits that both he and Mila had been leading mankind astray.

I hope that FE14 does the same sort of the same stuff.

Hm I had a Crazy thought: What if IntSys considers Awakening a sort of Reboot of the series? So now If/14 corresponds to 2, and then we go back to Ylisse for the next game ala 3 and so one.

Honestly I'm doubtful of my own theory, but could be interesting

I love how Gaiden set things up to be one way and the truth turns out to be the opposite.

Setup: "Zofia is peaceful and good. Rigel is warmongering and evil."

- Zofia is embroiled in civil war at the beginning of the story. We also learn in Part 3 that the king of Zofia was an asshole and basically legally raped his wife.

- King Rudolf may be an insane chessmaster/well-intentioned extremist, but he genuinely cares about the people of his kingdom. Also, anyone who's not in Judah's posse seems pretty chill.

Setup: "Mila is good. Duma is evil."

- Mila is, at the very least, irresponsible. It's implied that the Zofians are entirely dependent on Mila for their crops; Mila seems to have spiritually bound the herself to the land, too, so much so that when she is sealed away, the land begins rotting.

- Ex-Pontifex Hark is proof that the Church of Duma is not actually evil; it's just Judah and his cronies. Duma himself gracefully accepts his defeat and admits that both he and Mila had been leading mankind astray.

I hope that FE14 does the same sort of the same stuff.

Based old king being a good guy saving Kamui from the evils of the Queen by kidnapping them.

Based old king being a good guy saving Kamui from the evils of the Queen by kidnapping them.

I dunno, I'm getting far too strong Emperor Gangrel zi Brittania vibes from him to give him that much credit, though it would be nice if everything wasn't all tea and cherry blossoms over in Glorious Nippon.