Illusory Revelations#FE General Discussion

Now I know I was vocal on my distain for the change in direction for this game went. However I've calmed down and I wish to apologize to those who DID like it, I mean I said some pretty nasty things, so here we have a general discussion thread. I'd also like to just say, it may win me over, but I also wish to encourage those who DID like the concept to keep liking it despite opposition

Post about any relevant topic to the game.

Official website is here http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/asej/index.html

Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwrFj9OotBM

Confirmed to be directed by Mitsuru Hirata

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/09/shin-megami-tensei-x-fire-emblem-being-directed-by-radiant-historia-director/

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the whole topic is gone ? x'D

Well, let's say it again : I was hyped by this trailer. It wasn't as dark as I expected from these series, but still, a lighthearted action JRPG game can't hurt, especially with great graphics like these. Of course, I was expecting/hoping for a huge SMT x FE protagonists war, but, well, it still has me interested now. Let's wait for more information ! I'm definitely buying it, out of curiosity. (And also I love the song in the trailer~)

Honestly, the only problem I have with it is the trailer itself. It utterly fails to encapsulate the SMT essence and the FE essence and instead presented it in such a way that not a single person knew what game it was until we were told afterwards. Many were suspicious, given the two companies that appeared at the beginning of the trailer, but then once it started no one could tell. The director even said in an interview afterwards that the trailer sucked at showing the FE aspect.

That said, I think the game will be great and look forward to it, but the trailer was awful at doing what it was supposed to do.

Honestly, the only problem I have with it is the trailer itself. It utterly fails to encapsulate the SMT essence and the FE essence and instead presented it in such a way that not a single person knew what game it was until we were told afterwards. Many were suspicious, given the two companies that appeared at the beginning of the trailer, but then once it started no one could tell. The director even said in an interview afterwards that the trailer sucked at showing the FE aspect.

That said, I think the game will be great and look forward to it, but the trailer was awful at doing what it was supposed to do.

I remember going back and forth with myself:

*sees company names* Oh cool SMT x FE.

*trailer starts* Maybe not

*Sees Tiki* Okay maybe it is?

*trailer keeps going* Maybe not, I was probably seeing things.

*Sees Mecha Pegasus* I honestly dunno what is going on now.

*Apology after trailer* Well okay.

It's far from what I expected, and honestly, it doesn't even really look like something I'd enjoy...but I'm still looking forward to it. I'm optimistic it will turn out good.

It is Atlus after all, despite my first negative look on the game. That alone is pretty much a sign of a quality work.

Edited by Jedi

I totally understand where your coming from on disappointment of the game. I too had hopes for this game but the trailer revealed something totally different almost no Fire Emblem relations. I do feel it will be a good game just not as good as a Fire Emblem game.Needless to say id still buy it.

I totally understand where your coming from on disappointment of the game. I too had hopes for this game but the trailer revealed something totally different almost no Fire Emblem relations. I do feel it will be a good game just not as good as a Fire Emblem game.Needless to say id still buy it.

I had hopes from the SMT/FE sides both and they gave us something completely out of left field.

We shall see how this eventually turns out though.

My initial reaction to this was a huge "Whaa?", but after re-watching the trailer over again a lot and loving the song I'm actually really hyped for this. It's so weird that I'm really interested in it.

Interview on how the game got like it has:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/02/shin-megami-tensei-x-fire-emblem-got-persona-like-style/

Looks like they're well aware this didn't capture the FE part well. (Though there was quite a but of subtle FE stuff in it.)

Considering the title, is it safe to assume that this is the long awaited sequel to Revelations: Persona?

There's a short interview linked on the front page of SF. It's well worth the read!

At first, I laughed like a maniac - it looked nothing like the old teaser, and such a switcheroo is almost Cavia-level trolling. Though I think the costumes are, uh, overdone (like the short-haired chick on the "cover" shot whose undies are showing. . .and don't get me started on the rest), the concept looks like it just might work. I'm accustomed to Atlus throwing a bunch of different things together, and turning it into something unique and fun (usually), so the shift from SMT to something more Persona-like didn't upset me.

Someone broke down the video into a giant imgur album. The comments on each picture amused me, and I had my own thoughts about them, as well. However, it seems that every time I try to open that album, RL interferes.

Last but not least. . .I have never played a Persona game before. I fully intend on making this my first.

I'm actually looking forward to this now, where I wasn't before, mostly because mainstream SMT games are depressing(ly difficult) whereas Persona is definitely more my speed.

Not so much enthused by the skimpy outfits though; disappointed but not surprised on that front.

Yeah if I understand right the character designer is the same one from Devil survivor, while I haven't played a single SMT I know the devil survivor guy also did Digimon Cyber Sleuth which also has female characters with skimpy clothes (how to make an E rated franchis go straight tom M rated).

If that interview is right then the FE aspect isn't too apparent, we'll just have to wait and see.

The underwear costune for the lyn character has a zipper on it which adds it quite high into the ridiculous female armor list.

This stuff used to obly bother me a little until I played/watched/read games, anime and manga that weren't loaded with fanservice (even the one that had scantily clad characters and sex related themes; it all about how it's presented and tackled). Then I suddenly realised why Miyazaki disliked the heavy pandering that a lot of anime/anime inspired stuff seems to possess.

What I liked about fe's design was that the female cast was as diverse as the men in terms of armor design and personalities (not just superglued boob plates and battle bikinis).

That's my main bug but the fact that this game has original characters is great, I'm interested in how they're portrayal even if it seems that half of the cast will settle for silly costumes. Atlus has a good track record in terms of gameplay so I'm optimistic, it's just that devs seems to think over sexualisation and fanservice doesn't bother anyone and only increases sells. Sigh.

The negative reactions to the trailer were jarring, since my reaction post apology was "okay HYPE", but since I've been given more context on it, it's understandable.

Now, since this is a general discussion thread, how about that FE11/12 Tiki? I'm pretty glad it's not FE13 Tiki, anyway.

In all fairness I think I only focused on my negative impressions so far but there's a lot of stuff I liked from the trailer too. The introduction of a world different from both smt and fe but channeling the spirit of the two is an innovative direction for a crossover to take. For instance in this image:

tumblr_nm7rr6p7Uv1shs6r4o1_1280.jpg (source)

You can see that there's a possibility that fe characters work like personas/demon that can be summoned- judging by the main characters costume, this may take form as a character's cosmetic change (henshin-a-go-go and all that*) though looking at the lyn look-a-like I could be wrong since that costume is definitely not lyn-attire. The fe cast is huge so it would make sense that their become collectible summons/personas etc. Being able to summon your favourite characters would be awesome- please let l'rarchel, stahl personas be in this game, I welcome that type of fanservice way more than the eye candy kind.

*mini viewtiful joe reference there ;)

Itsuki (yes, that's his name) seems to have Chrom equipped with the Falchion. Tsubaki has Pegasus Knight with a lance. Kiriya I believe is a Mage with a staff.

Also, I finally remembered where I've seen the character designer's stuff before; toi8 is the illustrator for the novel series Maoyuu

Edited by Aiddon

Now, since this is a general discussion thread, how about that FE11/12 Tiki? I'm pretty glad it's not FE13 Tiki, anyway.

Maybe they'll have both version tiki show up? There's an idol theme in this game so maybe the divine dragons are now divine idols in this game world (well maybe not gotoh). My hopes are that the game will also tackle the darker side of the j-pop idol industry. I'm all for lightheartedness but knowing Atlus and that destoryed tokyo in the trailer, this is definitely not just going to be another bubbly idols-inspired game. Ah sorry my I'm going off a tangent again :P

Challenger Approaching on tumblr just put their own analysis out there.

Just going to point out Cain has an an entire archetype in his honor, that has been in pretty much every FE ever, and quite a few of those expies are redheads (Allen (why is your name not Sword), Kieran, Sully, Kent).

Maybe they'll have both version tiki show up? There's an idol theme in this game so maybe the divine dragons are now divine idols in this game world (well maybe not gotoh). My hopes are that the game will also tackle the darker side of the j-pop idol industry. I'm all for lightheartedness but knowing Atlus and that destoryed tokyo in the trailer, this is definitely not just going to be another bubbly idols-inspired game. Ah sorry my I'm going off a tangent again :P

>Fae as an idol

Ummmmmm....

Challenger Approaching on tumblr just put their own analysis out there.

Here's a clip from their article:

we don’t know any of their names

Bullshit. The "Artist" name displayed during battle is most likely the name of the character.

Cain: if you look at 0:34 you see the male with the red hair riding a bike with a man weilding a spear behind him. to my knowledge Cain is the only horseman character in FE with Red hair and armor so I am putting my money it is him in the scene.

And somewhere in Elibe, Alan sneezes. In Tellius, Kieran suddenly feels the urge to kill someone.

(Kent's also a redhead, but he's closer to ginger)

Black Knight: while I’m not sure if it really is the Black Knight or just a common enemy we do see a enemy in a massive black armor at 1:06 giving the possiblity that Black Knigh is a boss in the game

Wrong armor style, and the Black Knight didn't have a severed head as a hat.

These guys needed the imgur album more than we did. ;/