Crit cut-ins

Trickster

Bring back crit cut-in portraits?  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Bring back crit cut-in portraits?

I think they were a nice touch and I don't see why they wouldn't be included, especially since this game seems to be built on the same engine as Awakening.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like crit cut-ins back, but as long as they don't get super repetitive. For the most part they were fine but if you had a character with a high chance skill (Vengeance is a extremely good example), the cut-ins got really repetitive. Otherwise I'm all for them.

I felt that they were pointless and just slowed down the game. Then again, I have voices turned off, so that may be a factor. They still have a slight pause and the annoying sound play when you get a critical with a bonus character, so it's not like it's a necessary indicator.

I prefer the GBA games' distinct animations. Awakening's critical animations just seemed like IS was trying to be realistic in how people fight, but it's a game with time travel, dragons, pegasi, griffins, people who can turn into giant killer rabbits and dragons, swords that shoot lightning, magic spells, magic staffs, etc.

Those criticals were awesome. Me and a friend at school tend to yell those critical/skill activation quotes at each other when we're board.

"PICK A GOD AND PRAY!" "I'M GONNA KILL YOU!!" "KAH-CHING!" "I make deep cuts." "How well will you die?" Out of context it's pretty great. Looking forward to more quotes.

Those criticals were awesome. Me and a friend at school tend to yell those critical/skill activation quotes at each other when we're board.

"PICK A GOD AND PRAY!" "I'M GONNA KILL YOU!!" "KAH-CHING!" "I make deep cuts." "How well will you die?" Out of context it's pretty great. Looking forward to more quotes.

IT'S TIME TO SHIP THE SCALES!

Yeah, I doubt they are going to ditch it. Although they need more puns. A lot more puns.

IT'S TIME TO SHIP THE SCALES!

Yeah, I doubt they are going to ditch it. Although they need more puns. A lot more puns.

Oh I totally agree! The worse the puns, the better! We need another character like Henry who just makes the worst jokes time and time again. Or like a super serious character whose always un-intentionally making puns, that'd also be hilarious.

Oh I'd love to see the crit cut-ins come back. There were times I'd play with the sound down, only to turn it up to hear the critical quote. They added a little more personality to the units.

I do think however there should be the option to turn them off. It gets a bit annoying when you have a skill-happy character. I actually removed Vengeance from a character because of how annoying they got. Having the option to turn off the critical cut-in would be nice.

I see you point i too sometimes turned off vengeance but i do get their probable reasoning for not putting a specific cut in off button, if you dislike the animations you could just turn them off, and the person who decided not to add it probably didn't know vengeance has (near)certainty levels of activation.

I see you point i too sometimes turned off vengeance but i do get their probable reasoning for not putting a specific cut in off button, if you dislike the animations you could just turn them off, and the person who decided not to add it probably didn't know vengeance has (near)certainty levels of activation.

What I didnt understand specifically is that when you use vengeance it has a cut in every time but on the off chance you crit with any shockstick/levin sword/bolt axe you dont get the crit cut in.

There was also that glitch where you'd get two cut ins if you were attacking from range, skill activated and then crit. My Berserker!Inigo enjoys doing that with Helswath all the time, which can get lengthy after a while because his pair up partner usually is equipped with a brave lance and she has a really high dual strike chance ~.~

Regardless, I'd love for crit cut ins again. When it first happened I had no idea what was happening and was awed by it. Not to mention it adds a nice oomph when one happens on what is also the killing blow for a boss. (Robin: "Time to tip the scales!" Grima: *screams and dies*)

What could also be interesting would be when we ended up fighting the other side and a crit happens but doesn't kill the opponent is if they could taunt during the EXP gain meter. (Lucina: "You will not stop me!" Enemy: "Ha, I just did!")

I want to see crazy over-the-top crit animations like in the GBAFEs I don't know how well they'd mix with the pause crit cut-in.

I misread that as GHEBFE for a second there. :Kappa:

But yeah, I see no reason as to why they would not utilize the crit cut-ins into IF. However, if the developers decide to ultimately scrap them in the final game, then it would honestly feel like a downgrade from Awakening.

For those who are against the cut-ins and want to stay true to the classical feel of the past games, I'm sure an option to turn off crit cut-ins (while keeping the animations) would be a nice addition for them, though I can't actually see this feature being implemented ever as the cut-ins seem to be generally accepted anyway.

Edited by AddictPunk

I felt that they were pointless and just slowed down the game. Then again, I have voices turned off, so that may be a factor. They still have a slight pause and the annoying sound play when you get a critical with a bonus character, so it's not like it's a necessary indicator.

Speaking of which, I never quite understood the point of showing cut-ins during battles when the voices were turned off. You get everything a cut-in normally gives, except without the catchphrase. It feels so much more empty and out of place when a voice doesn't accompany the cut-in.

If there was an option to turn off cut-ins, I'd totally use it.

I like the cut ins and quotes ("pick a god and pray" is quite possibly one of the most amazing one liners ever) , they're really awesome but some line don't make much sense so I hope they change those, though this game feels a lot less "fanservicey" than Awakening so I don't think that will be an issue. Though I want cooler crit animations (though I admit, the tactician flying a ludicrously impossible crit jump slash due to dual strike is hilarious) like those of the GBA era.

Like many others, I love the critical cut-ins. A great aesthetic touch, and I loved the personality that all the different one-liners added. And yeah, "pick a god and pray" is simply one of the most badass lines in video games.

Given the stylistic similarities between Awakening and If we've already seen, and the popularity of the cut-ins, I'll be stunned if they don't return.