Player Customisation

sofutoppai

All this new information is giving us a pretty definite 'default' design for Kamui, even going as far as to feature them on the boxart.

Comparing it to Awakening, where they only featured the Avatar with his/her hood covering their face, excluding Smash. Also for Awakening, they made it slightly more obvious that the Avatar will be customisable, showing us a different Avatar model quite frequently in the different videos leading up to the release. Compare this to :if, where so far we've only seen the different genders and a few sprites with different hair colour.

With this, do you think that Kamui will still be as customisable as the Avatar? Or will our choices be more limited this time around?

EDIT: is it just me or does IS now have a thing with white-haired player characters being related to dragons?

Edited by sofutoppai

Honestly I would be okay with keeping Kamui the way they are, as I like the design of both the male and female versions.

Honestly self-inserts are always a topic of debate, but I think IS pocketed too much money from the avatar and waifuing aspect of Awakening to not include it in FE:I.

However, if they go to the trouble of animating CGs with all possible avatars then I will forgive them of everything.

Edited by Bloo

Honestly I would be okay with keeping Kamui the way they are, as I like the design of both the male and female versions.

Honestly self-inserts are always a topic of debate, but I think IS pocketed too much money from the avatar and waifuing aspect of Awakening to not include it in FE:I.

However, if they go to the trouble of animating CGs with all possible avatars then I will forgive them of everything.

That'd be hella ambitious. Personally, based on what we've seen so far, they may just opt to use first-person POV for all of the cutscenes. It'd definitely be easier while getting the same points across. Not to mention it's arguably more immersive.

Well, if the main character wasn't customizable beyond gender, there's no reason to call him an avatar, really. Besides, NoA's Twitter account said during the direct that the protagonist is "your created character".

FE12 had the avatar featured in promo art in spite of the customization. They're just going with a different take compared to Awakening. I guess Robin ending up featured in Smash and other side material plays a large part in this change of direction too. They want a face for the avatar, even if it's customizable.

Official Twitter

You can change the Avatar's name, gender and appearance.

They're only using the name Kamui and those particular appearances you've seen for promotional purposes; so expect to keep seeing the same ones.

That's more like it! :D

So we have confirmed appearance customization, but what about customizing how Kamui acts as a unit?

I really hope that IS at least keeps the asset/flaw system of Awakening.

All kinds of seals Better be happening. After awakenings "anything goes" policy on master/second seals I dont wanna go back to the old ways

All kinds of seals Better be happening. After awakenings "anything goes" policy on master/second seals I dont wanna go back to the old ways

Ehh, I'm not a big fan of second sealing. I'd rather just be given more control over stat growths and weapon choice. Though the promotional art showing Kamui with a sword all the time dashes any hope I had of that last one.

If they do second sealing again I hope that they let you choose a class set instead of just letting you go nuts.

I know this is unrealistic at this point, but how cool would it have been to be able to reclass Kamui, master the weapons from that class, then have those weapon ranks transfer over to his Dark Prince class (his default job). Then we would have a master knight-like unit return.

Ehh, I'm not a big fan of second sealing. I'd rather just be given more control over stat growths and weapon choice. Though the promotional art showing Kamui with a sword all the time dashes any hope I had of that last one.

If they do second sealing again I hope that they let you choose a class set instead of just letting you go nuts.

You don't really have to use second seals so much (if at all) if you want. ^_^; No rule saying you can't put limits on yourself.

Anyway, what customization options do you think will be available? Perhaps the ability to change eye colors? I mean, in FE12, we got choices of different hair, hair color and faces, and then FE13 added body types, so I'm guessing the new option trend continues into eye color.

I doubt the eye color change since the avatar is not human. Most likely there will be many different hair-style and hair color choices. Perhaps there will be eye shape changes?

Edited by Leif

You don't really have to use second seals so much (if at all) if you want. ^_^; No rule saying you can't put limits on yourself.

Anyway, what customization options do you think will be available? Perhaps the ability to change eye colors? I mean, in FE12, we got choices of different hair, hair color and faces, and then FE13 added body types, so I'm guessing the new option trend continues into eye color.

Oh I'm well aware of the fact that I don't have to second seal, and most of the time I don't. Like, the only characters I reclassed in Awakening were Donnel, and the Avatar. Donnel because I interpreted his class change as him finally growing into his own as a soldier, which I felt fit who he was. And the Avatar because...well...the avatar didn't really have much personality in the first place.

However Kamui seems to be shaping up to have a personality beyond "Tactics, yay!" and I don't want to have to customize him by putting her through a class that doesn't fit their personality. Does that make sense?

I doubt the eye color change since the avatar is not human. Most likely there will be many different hair-style and hair color choices. Perhaps there will be eye shape changes?

This. Though I really hope for more. Please IS just let me change skin tone.

Official Twitter

You can change the Avatar's name, gender and appearance.

They're only using the name Kamui and those particular appearances you've seen for promotional purposes; so expect to keep seeing the same ones.

Cool beans. It's very much like Robin then.

I wonder if alterations to Kamui will alter the dragon form appearance too?

Cool beans. It's very much like Robin then.

I wonder if alterations to Kamui will alter the dragon form appearance too?

I doubt that will alter the dragon since it's shown on CGs

You know the customization thing makes me wonder... I know people were kind of assuming mr riddled with arrows in the trailer might be the characters biological father and the peace loving monarch is his mom but if both parents are revealed having customization that may let you look radically different from both parentsmakes it seem a bit silly. In awakening you never saw your mother so you could just assume you took after her and not Validar.

Of course maybe the arrow dude was just a dude full of arrows and not the dad.

I doubt the eye color change since the avatar is not human.

How does the avatar's species determine whether customization of eye color is possible? o.o; Besides, manaketes before Kamui haven't always been red-eyed, as evidenced by Fae, Tiki (both green-eyed), Nowi, Nah (both purple-eyed), and potentially Morgan (brown eyes).

Edit: @Honey Bunny: You may not use Second Seals, and I respect that decision. However, there may be people want to class change Kamui (or whomever they've made the avatar to be; avatars are customizable, after all). For example, someone may want to reclass into a wyvern rider because they find wyverns awesome, or a myrmidon because they are agile swordsmen with awesome tricks. If reclassing stays, people who don't want to reclass still won't have to, but those who do can; you can choose whatever option you want to do. Ditching reclassing will not change anything for those who don't want to reclass, but those who do will be forced to deal with it. It's more restrictive and less optional.

Edited by DarkGold777

You know the customization thing makes me wonder... I know people were kind of assuming mr riddled with arrows in the trailer might be the characters biological father and the peace loving monarch is his mom but if both parents are revealed having customization that may let you look radically different from both parentsmakes it seem a bit silly. In awakening you never saw your mother so you could just assume you took after her and not Validar.

Of course maybe the arrow dude was just a dude full of arrows and not the dad.

That is a very good point, buuuut... There is evidence that the guy who gets "All the arrows" is his father or at most a close relative.

Edit: @Honey Bunny: You may not use Second Seals, and I respect that decision. However, there may be people want to class change Kamui (or whomever they've made the avatar to be; avatars are customizable, after all). For example, someone may want to reclass into a wyvern rider because they find wyverns awesome, or a myrmidon because they are agile swordsmen with awesome tricks. If reclassing stays, people who don't want to reclass still won't have to, but those who do can; you can choose whatever option you want to do. Ditching reclassing will not change anything for those who don't want to reclass, but those who do will be forced to deal with it. It's more restrictive and less optional.

Right, and I'm not saying that IS should get rid of reclassing. The problem for me comes in when reclassing becomes the main way of customizing Kamui as a unit. Then if I want to have a high defense Kamui I'd have to reclass them to Knight. Even if my Kamui has never had any previous training for heavy armor and no desire to wear 30 lbs. of metal. That's why I want more decisions about stat growths at the start of the game rather than having to reclass.

This is why I like the asset/flaw system from Awakening even though it was kind of weird to new players, and ended up meaning nothing mid to late game.

Right, and I'm not saying that IS should get rid of reclassing. The problem for me comes in when reclassing becomes the main way of customizing Kamui as a unit. Then if I want to have a high defense Kamui I'd have to reclass them to Knight. Even if my Kamui has never had any previous training for heavy armor and no desire to wear 30 lbs. of metal. That's why I want more decisions about stat growths at the start of the game rather than having to reclass.

This is why I like the asset/flaw system from Awakening even though it was kind of weird to new players, and ended up meaning nothing mid to late game.

Oh, that's what you were arguing? Sorry, then. XP I wouldn't mind the whole asset/flaw thing being back, too.